Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 12 Apr 2021, 14:47 (Ref:4045708)   #26
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
That rather depends on if they're actualling highlighting that issue within Saudi Arabia or whether they're coming in, doing the event and leaving again without ever bringing it up with the powers that be.
The issue that Extreme E is looking to highlight in Saudi Arabia is desertification.

To that end - they say the following:
Alejandro Agag, ““We chose to organise our first ever race in AlUla, with the aim to shed light on the threats presented by desertification. The magnificent sand dunes and breathtaking views of AlUla will represent the perfect backdrop to showcase the exploits of the innovative engineering masterpieces and the world class driving capabilities taking part in the competition.”

'As part of the commitments set by the Saudi Vision 2030, the country will seek to safeguard its environment by increasing the efficiency of waste management, establishing comprehensive recycling projects, reducing all types of pollution and fighting desertification. The country plans to promote the optimal use of water resources by reducing consumption and utilising treated and renewable water.'

Prince Khalid Bin Sultan Al-Abdullah Al-Faisal, chairman of the Saudi Automobile and Motorcycle Federation (SAMF) who are organising the race with Extreme E, said: “Saudi Arabia is a country that has hosted desert rallies for more than half a century and is home of the world’s largest continuous sand desert, so it presents the ideal setting for Extreme E to highlight challenges presented by desertification. The terrain in AlUla is stunning and unforgiving. There is no question that the winning combination of driver and machine will be a deserving one.

“Extreme E represents a natural partner for Saudi Arabia when it comes to raising awareness around the need to adopt environmentally friendly means of energy production. The Kingdom is placing significant resources to build its renewable energy sector as part of its Vision 2030 and as demonstrated by projects such as the forthcoming launch of the King Salman Renewable Energy Initiative.”

So the issue of climate change has definitely been discussed with the powers that be.
Old 12 Apr 2021, 15:36 (Ref:4045712)   #27
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
That rather depends on if they're actualling highlighting that issue within Saudi Arabia or whether they're coming in, doing the event and leaving again without ever bringing it up with the powers that be.
Fair point. They are doing it indirectly though so the public must have been able to see it or learn about it in some way. It speaks silently in itself.
Old 16 May 2021, 01:34 (Ref:4051855)   #28
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just watching this. Quite entertaining.

And Catie is in it. We’re fans in this house after we watched the ace Catie’s Amazing machines.

And the track! That looked fun.
Old 17 May 2021, 10:47 (Ref:4052033)   #29
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Qualifying was entertaining, racing was pointless. Big pinch of salt about the eco thing. E.g they talk about how there are scientists on the boat and they'll do research at each location...how much research do scientists achieve in 5 days or so that they're there, which hasn't already been researched?

I'll probably keep an eye on the next one too because it's interesting, but I have serious doubts about the credibility of claims that it's highlight and helping with climate change which people aren't already away of.
Old 2 Jun 2021, 13:40 (Ref:4054347)   #30
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Did anybody else watch any of the 2nd round? I watched some of qualifying (might watch some more if there's nothing else going on) - it's not become a "must watch" event has it? I think the track wasn't as good as that in Saudi Arabia, the cars just looked slow and it was all a bit underwhelming.

The other thing that irks me somewhat is how unreliable the cars are - of the first 3 cars to run in qualifying 2 had problems where the car just shut down. It just looks like they haven't done enough testing of the car before launching it into competition.
Old 2 Jun 2021, 16:21 (Ref:4054367)   #31
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The track was quite tight in places which hindered overtaking but there were still some hard-fought battles. Overall, the track wasn't as good as Saudi but the surface actually allowed them to race.
Old 2 Jun 2021, 19:26 (Ref:4054380)   #32
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I watched the races on 'catch-up' was some quite good racing I thought, Sarrazin made a pretty impressive pass.
Old 3 Jun 2021, 08:13 (Ref:4054409)   #33
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I might give the races a watch then
Old 3 Jun 2021, 15:54 (Ref:4054455)   #34
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Don't get me wrong, it's not like watching Moto3, but it was considerably better than the first round and this time the races were more interesting than qualifying
Old 30 Aug 2021, 16:48 (Ref:4071232)   #35
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The Arctic X-Prix had no snow or ice. Bad for the show, but it certainly reinforces the message about climate change.

Anyway, races were quite interesting. Some drivers tackled the stone section too hard, and the cars took heavy damage.
Old 31 Aug 2021, 00:13 (Ref:4071307)   #36
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And Catie won! We’re fans in this household after watching Catie’s amazing machines. She drove a snow mobile in that.
Old 31 Aug 2021, 10:38 (Ref:4071354)   #37
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Think they're doing a good job of getting things to be exciting by having a rethink of the rules. Semi-finals had some good racing and the run to the first corner in the final was really good. Seems X44 have shocking luck, always something going wrong when they're looking good.

They do need to sort out the reliability of cars on heavy landings though, too often races are being decided by the electrical systems cutting out. I suppose it's a safety thing (given that a reset sorts it out) but it doesn't seem to be uniform when heavy landings cause problems or not.
Old 1 Sep 2021, 07:04 (Ref:4071454)   #38
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
I think the racing itself is actually good when the cars are working and the drivers are on par. I was sceptic about the male/female pairs and still am, but at least some females have gotten a chance at something they probably never would've otherwise, and a chance to promote and prove themselves.

On the other hand the series really bugs me looking at some aspects like drivers and people involved; it's like they live in on another planet or clueless. Some are asphalt racers while others haven't accomplished much in motorsport at all, or seem distant from it. The most pressing thing I couldn't fathom before a switch happened was the Cupra team's choice of Hürtgen over Jutta. How on earth would you choose a failry anonymous asphalt racer with little to no experience from even competing on gravel over the only female, and German, ever to win the Dakar Rally? This just blow my mind.

Promoting environmental problems I think is very positive, though I dislike the way they're doing it for several different reasons. But the end goal justifies the means.
Old 1 Sep 2021, 07:46 (Ref:4071456)   #39
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
I think part of the team selection was about profile, e.g selecting Jamie Chadwick means more column inches because she's well promoted and known from W-series and other things. Catie Munnings is known for being on the telly etc.

That said, I was quite impressed with the speed of Chadwick, clearly not at the same level as Molly Taylor or Cristina Gutiérrez, but not as far off the back as I expected.
Old 1 Sep 2021, 11:08 (Ref:4071484)   #40
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
I think part of the team selection was about profile, e.g selecting Jamie Chadwick means more column inches because she's well promoted and known from W-series and other things. Catie Munnings is known for being on the telly etc.

That said, I was quite impressed with the speed of Chadwick, clearly not at the same level as Molly Taylor or Cristina Gutiérrez, but not as far off the back as I expected.
Chadwick wasn't racing in Greenland this week, Emma Gilmour, three time New Zeeland rally champ btw, took her place. But going by status I dislike heavily if that's the case. Trying to summarise it; if they're making an effort for equality, then what's the difference if name is the deciding factor anyway? Agag said he wanted the best drivers to I guess that was just part of the streamline advertising for the masses.
Old 2 Sep 2021, 15:02 (Ref:4071649)   #41
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Chadwick wasn't racing in Greenland this week, Emma Gilmour, three time New Zeeland rally champ btw, took her place. But going by status I dislike heavily if that's the case. Trying to summarise it; if they're making an effort for equality, then what's the difference if name is the deciding factor anyway? Agag said he wanted the best drivers to I guess that was just part of the streamline advertising for the masses.
Yes know Chadwick wasn't there this weekend as I think she was in Spa with W-Series, but I was impressed by her pace at the other two events.

At the end of the day it's a series which needs promoting, so they're always going to do the big sell about being all about the drivers but realistically there will be a balance with also having someone with a name and sponsorship behind them to help grow the series.