Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Jul 2011, 09:53 (Ref:2928008)   #1
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
lml698 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bentley DC Silverstone August 13/14th + 50's GT race (merged)

Just a reminder to everyone that the BDC Meeting at Silverstone on Aug 14th has a new 50's sports and GT race in it.
30 mins ( one or two driver) for " in period" 1950's cars. So we are looking at Astons, AC's, Alfas, Healeys; Jags, Frazer Nash's, Sunbeams, Lancias, Jowetts etc.plus more. entry list already into the mid teens. The race is put on by FISCRA a new 50's club
www.fiftiesracing.org
The meeting is two days with other 50's races on including Duncan Wiltshire Legends the day before. We hope to see a big grid and build this race back to the huge grids we had a couple of years ago. Entry forms from Bentley Drivers or chase the email add on the www.fiftiesracing.org website.
Mark
Old 18 Jul 2011, 10:00 (Ref:2928011)   #2
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
They won't my Porsche Speedster then.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 11:29 (Ref:2928042)   #3
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
They won't my Porsche Speedster then.
they won't 'what' your Porsche speedster?

or did you mean 'they want my Porsche speedster'
Old 18 Jul 2011, 11:31 (Ref:2928049)   #4
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
No Porsches so assume don't want!
Old 18 Jul 2011, 11:40 (Ref:2928055)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
John, Mark actually says 'etc plus more', so if I were a betting man I'd say that your speedster would be very welcome. If that was the case would you enter?
Old 18 Jul 2011, 12:02 (Ref:2928071)   #6
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
John T is spot on. John, we would be thrilled to have your Speedster on the grid. Accept my apologies for not specifically referencing Porches but I had got frustrated a few years ago at dragging out all the 356's and 550'sthat used to race in this type of race. Where have they all gone. The Speedster is a bit more special and we would be honoured to have royalty in our midst along with any Ferrari's and other glitterati !!!
We would love to have some "proper in period" TR2's and TR3's as well if anyone knows where one is.
Without labouring the point the list of eligle cars also includes Allards, Talbots, Morgan, Maserati and others - if in doubt just apply. The rule is the model must have been in production during the 1950's be a production car and have in period race history.
Hope to see lots of you there.
Mark
Old 18 Jul 2011, 13:17 (Ref:2928089)   #7
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Is this separate from Legends race or same one that Duncan circulated last week!

Leaving it to the boys to see if they want to enter.

See how that get on this week where we need it to rain.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 13:30 (Ref:2928097)   #8
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
No Porsches so assume don't want!
a mouseclick on the link would have prevented the erroneous assumption
Old 18 Jul 2011, 13:36 (Ref:2928102)   #9
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
Yes John This race is a separate one from Duncan's Legends race although the GT cars are potentially eligible to do both !!!
Old 18 Jul 2011, 14:53 (Ref:2928121)   #10
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Seems that if the car is in good shape after weekend idea is to do both races.

Now where are those other Nash's and stuff.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 15:15 (Ref:2928129)   #11
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
Just as a quick update
We have entered so far:
Astons
AC's
Lotus's
Alfa's
Healey
Plus I hope the Ruston Porsche. We are awaiting some Lancias and Jags etc.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 10:30 (Ref:2928493)   #12
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Equipe GTS have 2 x 30 minute races as well, so there could be an overlap, or the opportunity to do more races!
Old 19 Jul 2011, 10:34 (Ref:2928497)   #13
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who are the folk running the 50's racing club? It is an actual club or a commercial operation?
Old 19 Jul 2011, 11:55 (Ref:2928522)   #14
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Slightly off topic, but...
You have VSCC.ORG, it should be VSCC.co.uk.
Dunno where .org goes, but no bags of bolts...
Old 19 Jul 2011, 15:21 (Ref:2928612)   #15
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
Derwent

The answer to you question about www.fiftiesracing.org
It is a driver /owner run club who make no profits from races. It is just getting MSA approval as a Motor club and works with MGCC/ VSCC/ BDC and others to put on 50's GT races for those cars.
The aim is to put on races and speed opportunities for the owner/ drivers of these cars.
Hope that helps.
Mark
Old 20 Jul 2011, 06:55 (Ref:2928821)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mark I looked at your calender - is that just a consolidation of every race a 50's soprtscar is eligible for as its about 30 races!!
I am watching this with interest as 50's cars have always been a soft spot for me and I am starting to come to the conclusion that I have done all I want to do in my Merlyn so the possibility of a winter swap is increasing
Old 20 Jul 2011, 07:44 (Ref:2928837)   #17
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
Simon

Yes the list is there just to show people where all the possible events are at the moment. What we are now aiming at is working with race organisers ( like BDC) to put on a race for our 50's cars and spec and not a wider remit.
One of the problems at the moment is that there are lots of races/ series that include 50's GT cars ( Equipe/ Legends/ HRS/ CSCC etc.) but these all include either 60's models, out of period modifications or outright racing cars. No problem with those formats in themselves it's just that the more Standard 50's GT gets blown off the track !!!
So the firm aim here is to develop a series shared by the major race organisers whereby we do the work and bring the cars to higher profile meetings and they take the entry fee. We are the owner drivers who want the races and organisers want good grids and cash. Seems like a win win.
We already have VSCC/ BDC/ MGCC and CSCC on board and hope to get a slot somewhere with HSCC and poss one more.
We will shortly come up with a list of eligible cars to go on the website ( john Turner is helping us with this ) and we would happily welcome the support and input of other interested folk.
Hope that explains things a bit more.
Old 20 Jul 2011, 07:53 (Ref:2928841)   #18
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sounds good and very much in the same spirit as Julius' new pre 63 saloons. A theme is developing it seems which is taking historics back to the clubbie and as one I very much welcome it!!
Old 24 Jul 2011, 12:34 (Ref:2930389)   #19
rjbell24
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cumbria
rjbell24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The entries as of Friday 22 July are already in the mid teens including 6 Aston Martins, so this promises to be a healthy and competitive grid!
Old 24 Jul 2011, 19:02 (Ref:2930490)   #20
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Warm welcome, Richard. I will try to get up to speed on all this eventually, I promise!
Old 24 Jul 2011, 21:00 (Ref:2930577)   #21
rjbell24
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cumbria
Looking forward to seeing you there John. Tim Stamper from Penrith is driving our 2/4 on the day.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 21:24 (Ref:2930601)   #22
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
Grid Update

Following my last input we have had calls from th eLancias and jags and we should have Jason and his Aurelias plus some XK120's

So Alfa's
Astons
AC's
Lancias
Jags
Healeys
Lotus's

I hope that Patrick B-E's can bring some Frazer Nash's plus John R's Porsche. Nice looking grid forming up here.

Mark
Old 25 Jul 2011, 06:58 (Ref:2930726)   #23
simon drabble
Veteran

will you limit the 120's to FIA spec or you going to allow the 3.8's (which would be a mistake IMHO)
Old 25 Jul 2011, 07:33 (Ref:2930736)   #24
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Mark - Jason and I have been away this weekend so haven't finalised thoughts for Silverstone but subject to the Aurelia surviving Thruxton (HRDC) this Saturday I'd say we'd be up for this. Unlike HRDC (where we seem to be quite competitive) we're not expecting to be anywhere close to the front of the grid but hope to have a bit of fun with you guys and of coruse it will be lovely to see you.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 08:00 (Ref:2930749)   #25
rjbell24
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cumbria
Hi Louise - it will be good to see you and Jason back on the grid with us - I think you will as always be very competitive with our Astons . . .