Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 24 Aug 2003, 01:53 (Ref:697004)   #1
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Martin O'connell

Anyone know what happened to Martin O'Connell now days ?

I never thought he got a fair chance in single seaters as others around him always seemed to have better budgets yet a lot less talent than he had.....

I think he went into Sportscars , but havent heard his name mentioned much latley !.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 05:06 (Ref:697055)   #2
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After racing in the 2001 FIASCC & ELMS, he moved to Ireland and set up a business over there.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 07:55 (Ref:697100)   #3
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so he's not racing anymore ?......what a waste of a great talent. It is such a shame when other drivers get big budgets that they dont deserve , yet a talent like O'connell gets pushed to one side in the early days of his career.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 10:04 (Ref:697164)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's extrememly unfair really, but its not an unusual situation. His showings in a Scholarship class car were way better than anyone else's at the time, even Sato's.

Motor racing can be a very fickle master indeed, but it seems like British drivers (Western Europeans in general, quite often) aren't getting good funding - Hynes, Davidson, Davies, Paffett and Kerr have all merited much better.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 12:03 (Ref:698195)   #5
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He did finally get a year when he had a nice budget in the main series and he said so himself at the start of that season that if they failed they had no excuses... And they kinda failed! I was surprised that they did as I was a fan of his too. But that's motor-racing.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 19:42 (Ref:698585)   #6
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Martin won two races at Oulton Park today, driving Sandy Watson's Lotus 69.

He was the fastest driver in the race despite only having a 1.6litre engine against the 5 litre v8's
Old 26 Aug 2003, 11:11 (Ref:699237)   #7
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was extremely quick in sportscars as well, does anyone remember his giant-killing effort in the ELMS @ Donninton in the rain? He won the SR2 class in an unfacied Pilbeam against Lolas etc.

He didn't do that well in his final year in F3 though, but Rowan racing were a bit over stretched, dispite backing from alpha club.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 11:29 (Ref:699259)   #8
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes what a fantastic drive in both races, especially the second one when he went from 18th to 1st in about 4 laps !!!!
Old 26 Aug 2003, 13:05 (Ref:699397)   #9
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidStHubbins
He did finally get a year when he had a nice budget in the main series and he said so himself at the start of that season that if they failed they had no excuses...
wasnt that the year that he had the TOMS , i thought that deal fell apart after half a season ?
Old 26 Aug 2003, 14:01 (Ref:699456)   #10
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't remember! It was ages ago. I don't think it was TOMS though. He had a rich teammate but it did not work out. That's all I remember. After that he left F3 to do sportscars. He can certainly drive though, I wasn't implying he can't.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 14:06 (Ref:699468)   #11
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
wasnt that the year that he had the TOMS , i thought that deal fell apart after half a season ?
I think that was early nineties, he used Mugen for his last few seasons. Does anyone remember in 1999 when he was mixing it with Button/Burti in the early season, on his day he could match anyone. Particularly @ Donnington it seams
Old 26 Aug 2003, 14:08 (Ref:699471)   #12
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidStHubbins
I can't remember! It was ages ago. I don't think it was TOMS though. He had a rich teammate but it did not work out. That's all I remember. After that he left F3 to do sportscars. He can certainly drive though, I wasn't implying he can't.
Rich Teammate was Warren Carway, he brought all the alpha club stuff with him, he "raced" the pillbeam with martin too.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 20:34 (Ref:699984)   #13
Junior Senior
Racer

Junior Senior should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read somewhere that he is rallying??
Old 26 Aug 2003, 20:35 (Ref:699990)   #14
Rocktracer
Racer

Rocktracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
now it clicks in to place... ive still got one of those Alpha Club Hats...
Old 26 Aug 2003, 21:28 (Ref:700041)   #15
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
they always had nice Alpha club Girls with them too !....
Old 27 Aug 2003, 08:27 (Ref:700364)   #16
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
yea they were gorgeous, thats where most of there budget went!
Old 28 Aug 2003, 22:12 (Ref:702205)   #17
Basil
Rookie

Basil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Martin O'connell

Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
Anyone know what happened to Martin O'Connell now days ?

I never thought he got a fair chance in single seaters as others around him always seemed to have better budgets yet a lot less talent than he had.....

I think he went into Sportscars , but havent heard his name mentioned much latley !.
AFAIK he has been rallying in Ireland, and I saw him is excellent race form at the Oulton Park Gold Cup last weekend. I am seeing Ray Rowan next week, I'll ask him what he's been doing.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 16:18 (Ref:702823)   #18
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
that would be good . What id really like to see is O'connell back in a decent competative drive again . Im sure he would out shine most other drivers .
Old 8 Sep 2003, 15:53 (Ref:711993)   #19
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
Re: Re: Martin O'connell

Quote:
Originally posted by Basil
AFAIK he has been rallying in Ireland, and I saw him is excellent race form at the Oulton Park Gold Cup last weekend. I am seeing Ray Rowan next week, I'll ask him what he's been doing.
Did yous speak to Ray and find out what hes been upto?