Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 May 2015, 09:42 (Ref:3533527)   #51
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hards would have been the right choice with or without the sc. It was an odd strategy.
Old 3 May 2015, 09:48 (Ref:3533530)   #52
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was a dud call from the get-go.

They had the pace, they should've played it conservatively. If they had gone HHS like just about everyone else, they would've had a 1-2 in the bag.

Perhaps they blew the hard tyres off them throughout the weekend, to get top story on Adcafe?
Old 3 May 2015, 09:49 (Ref:3533531)   #53
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
Hards would have been the right choice with or without the sc. It was an odd strategy.
PRA's calculations on degradation clearly showed otherwise. Conceptually with the best hard tyre pace of the weekend of the field, there was a potential advantage at trucking along on hards at the start, but running the risk of being lapped by everyone on softs, regardless of safety car intervention. Game over for #5 anyway...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 3 May 2015, 09:54 (Ref:3533537)   #54
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
have read some discusion about lowndes passing whincup near the end of race under yellow flag.

Did anyone else watching see that?
Old 3 May 2015, 09:55 (Ref:3533539)   #55
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
PRA's calculations on degradation clearly showed otherwise. Conceptually with the best hard tyre pace of the weekend of the field, there was a potential advantage at trucking along on hards at the start, but running the risk of being lapped by everyone on softs, regardless of safety car intervention. Game over for #5 anyway...
How many front-runners started on softs, though?

I suspect that their hard tyre stocks weren't too flash, so used as much of the softs as they dared.
Old 3 May 2015, 09:58 (Ref:3533542)   #56
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
have read some discusion about lowndes passing whincup near the end of race under yellow flag.

Did anyone else watching see that?
Does it count if Whincup slowed, moved over, and allowed Lowndes through?
Old 3 May 2015, 10:02 (Ref:3533546)   #57
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
dont know. leave that one for the experts
Old 3 May 2015, 10:06 (Ref:3533548)   #58
Umai Naa
Veteran

That's why I asked you.
Old 3 May 2015, 10:16 (Ref:3533552)   #59
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
How many front-runners started on softs, though?

I suspect that their hard tyre stocks weren't too flash, so used as much of the softs as they dared.
More outcomes compromised by tyres. Madness.
Old 3 May 2015, 10:17 (Ref:3533553)   #60
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 3 May 2015, 10:21 (Ref:3533555)   #61
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
He moved over and let Will Davo and Lowndes through, I thought he would have gone around and unlapped himself?
Old 3 May 2015, 10:23 (Ref:3533556)   #62
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They could have run the same number of laps on hards as they would have anyway with starting on them and had the soft up their sleeve in the event of a sc. Yes they had little to play with on the remaining hards but at least the pace advantage would have been with them for the 2nd half in the event of the sc instead of nullified as it was and then having to fight guys on new softs with old ones.
Old 3 May 2015, 10:32 (Ref:3533560)   #63
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
He moved over and let Will Davo and Lowndes through, I thought he would have gone around and unlapped himself?
Me too.

I honestly thought the team would've strategised him back into the race somehow, maybe at lest get him up around the tail end of the top 10. Certainly wasn't his day at all. Another one I suspect, who chewed into his hard tyre stocks yesterday after his poor run in quali.
Old 3 May 2015, 10:53 (Ref:3533563)   #64
banksie
Racer

Australia
Victoria
banksie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If PRA had strong engineering management they would have split the strategy between their 3 lead cars. But 1 safety car period knocked them all out. Any safety car after lap 20 was going to compromise their strategy.
Old 3 May 2015, 11:11 (Ref:3533568)   #65
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
More outcomes compromised by tyres. Madness.
"comprimised", The whole intention of using softs and hards in the one race is to create a compromise. Too make teams use strategy.

Has been since soft tyres were brought in, means a results can be decided on the last lap as the strategies come to play.

means teams try different things, depending on the day and the track.

Means the fast car doesnt drive off into the distance on the first lap never to be sighted again to they cross the finsish line.

Its fantastic
Old 3 May 2015, 11:24 (Ref:3533575)   #66
pug205
Rookie

pug205 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes the use of hard and soft tyres can help create some interesting (if not at times some contrived) racing however the joke that is the tyre allocation is the compromise. It leads to useless sessions on the Fridays with teams trying to set up cars on old tyres and non event "races" like we keep seeing on the Saturdays.

V8SC has enough problems as it is right now without shooting itself in the foot with avoidable things like this
Old 3 May 2015, 11:26 (Ref:3533577)   #67
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Its fantastic
Only if lotteries are your idea of fantastic motorsport
Old 3 May 2015, 11:41 (Ref:3533585)   #68
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Only if lotteries are your idea of fantastic motorsport
a lottery, Strategy is always a lottery, thats how strategy works. Always has, always will.

Thats what makes long distance racing so much better than sprint racing, strategy.

without strategy the races are called boring
Old 3 May 2015, 11:50 (Ref:3533587)   #69
Ospi
Veteran

I agree to a degree, I like the Sunday strategy however I feel the rest of the weekend shouldn't suffer as a result. They can limit the tyres on the Sunday race without compromising the running earlier in the weekend.
Old 3 May 2015, 12:21 (Ref:3533594)   #70
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug205 View Post
Yes the use of hard and soft tyres can help create some interesting (if not at times some contrived) racing however the joke that is the tyre allocation is the compromise. It leads to useless sessions on the Fridays with teams trying to set up cars on old tyres and non event "races" like we keep seeing on the Saturdays.

V8SC has enough problems as it is right now without shooting itself in the foot with avoidable things like this
+1
Old 3 May 2015, 23:22 (Ref:3533820)   #71
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They just need another set, perhaps a set that can only be used on Sunday.

The Saturday races are getting beyond a joke now, with no one wanting to make any mistakes or compromise themselves on tyres. I think they need to consider going back to a single longer race on Saturday, along with the long race on Sunday.

I like strategy, and the fact that saving tyres or not being able to finish on Saturday can mean you have a stronger chance on Sunday, but that shouldn't be the deciding factor of the entire weekend.
Old 3 May 2015, 23:33 (Ref:3533821)   #72
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
They just need another set, perhaps a set that can only be used on Sunday.

The Saturday races are getting beyond a joke now, with no one wanting to make any mistakes or compromise themselves on tyres. I think they need to consider going back to a single longer race on Saturday, along with the long race on Sunday.

I like strategy, and the fact that saving tyres or not being able to finish on Saturday can mean you have a stronger chance on Sunday, but that shouldn't be the deciding factor of the entire weekend.
They had a set that could only be used on Sundays. Soft tyres.

However, like you, im not a fan of the shorter races on saturday. a longer race would be better. maybe we need to make saturdays races worth more points to encourage racing

Did the guys that saved tyres on Saturday actually have a better race on Sunday? It actually seemed that with the SC the guys that had Soft tyres at the end were the best off, no matter how good a hard tyre they had.

It appears to me that people are combining the amount of tyres available to race and the amount of tyres available for parctice into one issue, when they are separate issues
Old 4 May 2015, 00:13 (Ref:3533825)   #73
Go Harder.
Racer

Australia
Somewhere in the sticks...
Go Harder. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It appears to me that people are combining the amount of tyres available to race and the amount of tyres available for parctice into one issue, when they are separate issues
Practice.

And no, they are not separate issues.
Old 4 May 2015, 00:23 (Ref:3533826)   #74
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Harder. View Post

And no, they are not separate issues.

Tell me why they are not then?

V8s have always for as along as i can remember used pre-marked tyres in practice and for the first time this year can use all there pre-used tyres from the current year for practice sessions, in the past they had to give things back.

They were never (or at least as long as we have had tyre contracts) been able to use pre marked tyres in race or qualifying sessions.

Thus they are different points
Old 4 May 2015, 00:27 (Ref:3533828)   #75
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
and because i know that Mayhem is concerned about posts dropping off in ten tenths as result of the foxtel change. This years WA round has more posts than last year.

Whew, you can relax Crisis adverted