Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Dec 2018, 07:29 (Ref:3873092)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
SILVERSTONE CLASSIC

With Historic F1, F2, F3, 4 MRL grids, HGPCA, Pre ‘63 GT, Masters grids, wall to wall classic car displays, evening live music, funfair, and lots of other stuff as well.....

Now established as THE big one. And no need to dress up in period clothes.....
Old 10 Jan 2019, 07:32 (Ref:3875129)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Not only at Goodwood...…

'Mini Only' races announced- http://www.mastershistoricracing.com...estone-at-the/
Old 10 Jan 2019, 07:49 (Ref:3875133)   #3
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Not only at Goodwood...…

'Mini Only' races announced- http://www.mastershistoricracing.com...estone-at-the/
AWESOME,no u2tc then?
Old 10 Jan 2019, 07:59 (Ref:3875134)   #4
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
God preserve us form yet another one make race. I love the Classic for its diversity - hence watching a Mini take on, and beat ,a Mustang or a Cortina is wonderful. But watching one Mini beat 30 other Minis is not my idea of Classic racing.
Old 10 Jan 2019, 08:21 (Ref:3875139)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
AWESOME,no u2tc then?
You sometimes need to look further than just this forum, Will. It’s now on Silverstone Classic’s website.... https://www.silverstoneclassic.com/g...ring-cars-u2tc

Edit- No confirmation from u2tc themselves, so beware! But I’ve updated the intro on this thread in case...

Last edited by Mike Bell; 10 Jan 2019 at 08:30.
Old 10 Jan 2019, 08:38 (Ref:3875142)   #6
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You sometimes need to look further than just this forum, Will. It’s now on Silverstone Classic’s website.... https://www.silverstoneclassic.com/g...ring-cars-u2tc

Edit- No confirmation from u2tc themselves, so beware! But I’ve updated the intro on this thread in case...
Ah.
I did look a couple of days ago,must have been quite recent.Trying to work out the gaps for the Sportscars section.Ive counted the MRL ones.
Old 10 Jan 2019, 08:46 (Ref:3875143)   #7
Willmaz223
Veteran

I just looked on the website.The only touring grids I saw was the Big Engined and Mini one.Couldn't see the u2tc anywhere.One slot remainjng but thats for the HTCC one
Old 10 Jan 2019, 08:46 (Ref:3875144)   #8
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Ah.
I did look a couple of days ago,must have been quite recent.Trying to work out the gaps for the Sportscars section.Ive counted the MRL ones.
I’m suspicious about that Classic page, as the news isn’t repeated anywhere else. So don’t take it as gospel.....
Old 10 Jan 2019, 12:05 (Ref:3875237)   #9
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
God preserve us form yet another one make race. I love the Classic for its diversity - hence watching a Mini take on, and beat ,a Mustang or a Cortina is wonderful. But watching one Mini beat 30 other Minis is not my idea of Classic racing.
I agree. One make racing will be the death of historic racing if it takes hold like it has for modern cars. Even a grid of D types at Goodwood failed to impress. Having said that, a swarm of multi coloured minis crawling over each other is always a lot of fun so perhaps an exception can be allowed. Just this once mind.
Old 10 Jan 2019, 13:09 (Ref:3875249)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Are the supertourers likely to feature in 2019? I know there was a lot of uncertainty around the whole "scene" in 2018 due to a number of factors, with dwindling grid numbers being the end result.
Old 10 Jan 2019, 13:27 (Ref:3875258)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Are the supertourers likely to feature in 2019? I know there was a lot of uncertainty around the whole "scene" in 2018 due to a number of factors, with dwindling grid numbers being the end result.
See post 303 on the race dates and calendar thread.....
Old 10 Jan 2019, 17:23 (Ref:3875308)   #12
Willmaz223
Veteran

The minis will have 2×20 Minute races.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 07:14 (Ref:3875425)   #13
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
And they will feel much, much longer. Historically anomalous (if that matters? ) and falling into the same trap which has reduced much modern racing to the tame parody of racing which only two men and a dog watch.

If the organisers spent any time with the crowd, they would know that the biggest 'oohs' and 'aaahs ', applause and cheers often go to the bloke in his Mini who only came 6th , but who outbraked the same Mustang at the same spot on every lap.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 07:53 (Ref:3875432)   #14
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
And they will feel much, much longer. Historically anomalous (if that matters? ) and falling into the same trap which has reduced much modern racing to the tame parody of racing which only two men and a dog watch.

If the organisers spent any time with the crowd, they would know that the biggest 'oohs' and 'aaahs ', applause and cheers often go to the bloke in his Mini who only came 6th , but who outbraked the same Mustang at the same spot on every lap.
It would have been nice to have had a different grid rather than a one make race that we can already kind of witness in the 'Big Engined' race or the U2tc if they do come.
Are there any HSCC grids that have not been to the classic in a while.Historic F3?
Old 11 Jan 2019, 09:02 (Ref:3875436)   #15
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Given that Mini Miglia and Mini Se7en have been providing exciting racing for nearly as long as I've been watching motor sport I think a massive exception can be made for this "one make" race.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 11 Jan 2019, 09:53 (Ref:3875445)   #16
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I agree, one of the biggest appeals of historic Touring Car racing for me is the disparity of vehicles. Huge behemoths that storm in a straight line but corner like a cross-channel ferry competing with little tiddlers that don't has so much speed but ara amazingly agile through the corners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Given that Mini Miglia and Mini Se7en have been providing exciting racing for nearly as long as I've been watching motor sport I think a massive exception can be made for this "one make" race.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
As a one-time Mini Se7en racer that was my initial thought too Max until I thought a little more. Mini Se7en & Miglia racing is still going on and still providing that spectacle (as are numerous other one-make championships), Historic racing doesn't need this.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 10:28 (Ref:3875454)   #17
RICHARD.T
Racer

RICHARD.T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Classic F3 will be racing at the Silverstone Classic with the European Classic F3 series which will make for big grids and competitive exciting races.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 12:28 (Ref:3875484)   #18
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHARD.T View Post
Classic F3 will be racing at the Silverstone Classic with the European Classic F3 series which will make for big grids and competitive exciting races.
I wondered that,they sometimes have he French at Brands which always means 30 +.Gonna be looking at least 40 I would imagine.Hopefully I'm wrong in a good way.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 23:39 (Ref:3875809)   #19
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
So what will the main multi class saloon car events be?
Old 13 Jan 2019, 05:58 (Ref:3875838)   #20
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Masters Translantic Trophy (pre 66 all size)

Motor Racing Legends HTCC with Tony Dron Challenge

And POSSIBLY u2tc (pre 66 under 2 litre)

Plus the single class mini races.....
Old 14 Jan 2019, 23:44 (Ref:3876184)   #21
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Masters Translantic Trophy (pre 66 all size)

Motor Racing Legends HTCC with Tony Dron Challenge

And POSSIBLY u2tc (pre 66 under 2 litre)

Plus the single class mini races.....
Not bad at all!
Old 17 Jan 2019, 12:10 (Ref:3876684)   #22
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Now confirmed that U2TC touring cars will NOT have a grid at Silverstone Classic. See calendar thread for full info....
Old 19 Jan 2019, 19:48 (Ref:3877211)   #23
Willmaz223
Veteran

Pre War Bentley celebration at the Silverstone Classic 2019

Just some more Pre War news.Very excited.Love these cars.

Edit:Copied from Autosport

The biggest-ever field of Pre-War Bentleys is set to mark the manufacturer's centenary at this year's Silverstone Classic in July.

To run in a prime Saturday evening slot at the Classic, the Bentley Centenary Trophy for Pre-War Sports Cars comes almost exactly 100 years after W.O. Bentley founded the company on July 10, 1919.
The event promoters expect more than 30 Bentleys within a capacity field of Pre-War cars.
The grid will also feature Alfa Romeos, Aston Martins, Bugattis, Fraser Nashes, Lagondas and MGs.
The Bentley Centenary Trophy is being organised by Motor Racing Legends, whose Chairman and Bentley racer, Duncan Wiltshire, anticipates a record-breaking grid.

"This is such a significant anniversary: a once-in-a-lifetime celebration which is certain to appeal to all those with eligible Bentleys," he said.

"As a result, we are expecting an enormous turn-out and, by all probability, the biggest grid of racing Bentleys ever seen anywhere in the world.

In the company's early years, Bentley won Le Mans five times in seven years between 1924 and 1930, including a podium clean sweep in 1929.
Examples of the 3-litre, 4.5-litre Blower and Speed Six models, raced to success in France, will be on the grid at Silverstone.
Nick Wigley, Silverstone Classic CEO said: "We will be recreating some of that Le Mans magic at sunset on Saturday at the Classic to celebrate what is a very special moment in Bentley's remarkable lifetime."
Adding to the Bentley centenary celebrations will be a track parade for car clubs representing the marque, scheduled for the Saturday of the Silverstone Classic weekend.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Willmaz223; 19 Jan 2019 at 19:49. Reason: Extra Info
Old 19 Jan 2019, 19:51 (Ref:3877213)   #24
Willmaz223
Veteran

Wondering what the final sportscar grid is going to be .No extra HSCC series.Its there for a reason so...
Old 19 Jan 2019, 21:43 (Ref:3877217)   #25
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Sunset race sounds really great. I was not born yet but did a Blower won Le Mans? Cant remember but I recall they are fast and tall too.