Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Mar 2017, 14:38 (Ref:3715826)   #76
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Harsh nothing!!! 'Just plain childish.
I know of none of the best that haven't been off before or after making the big time. Sounds like silly bias to me. If one doesn't exceed the limit on occasion, one doesn't know where it is.
Also when you win your neck in and do a bit of research you will see Hamilton had a few offs including a write off..... that was my point Mr Angry
Old 2 Mar 2017, 15:17 (Ref:3715833)   #77
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Also when you win your neck in and do a bit of research you will see Hamilton had a few offs including a write off..... that was my point Mr Angry
Huh??? Mr. Angry? I'm laughing...how's that angry?

I'm enjoying the posts of what I call...(we have what's called "Monday morning quaterbacks." here in the states that are "experts" at analyzing and critiquing our game of football)..."Monday morning polesitters". No anger whatsoever.

(edit: I don't understand the term "win your neck in" or how we are in disagreement....???)

jimclark
Old 2 Mar 2017, 15:19 (Ref:3715837)   #78
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Hamilton has defended Stroll, saying it is hard for a rookie with the new generation of cars and so it's not a surprise he's had a couple of major offs. I hope he's right
Old 2 Mar 2017, 15:45 (Ref:3715844)   #79
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sadly I'm not that interested anymore but I have to say that Williams can pick 'em these days. I'm thinking Maldonado here.
Old 2 Mar 2017, 15:45 (Ref:3715845)   #80
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Sadly I'm not that interested anymore but I have to say that Williams can pick 'em these days. I'm thinking Maldonado here.
Ah, but he did win a race though. Eventually.

Maldonado 1, Stroll 0
Old 2 Mar 2017, 16:07 (Ref:3715851)   #81
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have no opinion of Stroll one way or another and people can post whatever they like, but I have to say that stuff like this...

$tro££ = Stroll

...just drives me crazy. It's just a button for me. It might be funny for about half a second and then with ongoing use it becomes annoying. Ultimately when I see it, I tend to just ignore whatever point that poster was trying to make.

Richard
Old 2 Mar 2017, 16:28 (Ref:3715856)   #82
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Stroll is a rookie so mistakes are to be expected - but the other rookies seem to have fared better. Also for a rookie Stroll has done quite a bit of running in an F1 car - ok so not the same as this years but I'd guess more than any of the other rookie drivers that have been out testing.
Old 2 Mar 2017, 17:54 (Ref:3715879)   #83
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For me this is just what the current regime causes.

We should have testing all year who gives a flying fig how much it costs? I don't. What free testing would do is give these people time to adjust then we'd have far less need to apologise for inexperience.

The entire thing is a farce. Williams, and others, are forced to take on rookies who, with few exceptions, prove to be failures. At the end of the year the team is looking for a replacement and because rich dad doesn't like his progeny being sacked for uselessness, buys the team and then gets bored or slags the team off to the extent that they can't employ decent drivers.

Anyway back to reality.
Old 2 Mar 2017, 19:26 (Ref:3715899)   #84
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
im not sure who was more unprepared for this test...Stroll with his driving or Williams with their test regime/lack of parts approach.

no doubt both share the blame for a pretty lousy week.
Old 2 Mar 2017, 20:13 (Ref:3715911)   #85
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
For me this is just what the current regime causes.

We should have testing all year who gives a flying fig how much it costs? I don't. What free testing would do is give these people time to adjust then we'd have far less need to apologise for inexperience.

The entire thing is a farce. Williams, and others, are forced to take on rookies who, with few exceptions, prove to be failures. At the end of the year the team is looking for a replacement and because rich dad doesn't like his progeny being sacked for uselessness, buys the team and then gets bored or slags the team off to the extent that they can't employ decent drivers.

Anyway back to reality.

jimclark
Old 2 Mar 2017, 20:37 (Ref:3715916)   #86
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Shunted first day. Told not to shunt again. Shunted on outlap.
Old 2 Mar 2017, 22:59 (Ref:3715960)   #87
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is classic testing nonsense.

He crashed twice - wow.

It's testing. Write him off after half a season, sure, but not after a couple of mistakes in his first test with new equipment.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 14:01 (Ref:3716115)   #88
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Good Lord, the well of anti-Stroll feeling is deep! Give the kid a chance. His record in the junior formulae is pretty impressive - sure, his father's loaded, but that can only take you so far. He's obviously got talent as well. Is he top-flight F1 material? We'll see, but for the moment I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 14:08 (Ref:3716117)   #89
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Its pretty poor show to shunt on your first lap. The car is new, likely low on parts etc. To be honest im half surprised that Massa or their test driver wasn't doing more of the testing. I'm of course aware he needs seat time being a rookie, but it just doesn't make a lot of sense to send a rookie out without having things like a spare wing available.

I'll extend that same criticism to Pirelli and the wet running. Its the first test, again, teams are likely low on parts. Why not reserve the wet running to the second test?
Old 3 Mar 2017, 14:59 (Ref:3716129)   #90
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Good Lord, the well of anti-Stroll feeling is deep! Give the kid a chance. His record in the junior formulae is pretty impressive - sure, his father's loaded, but that can only take you so far. He's obviously got talent as well. Is he top-flight F1 material? We'll see, but for the moment I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
His record in the junior formulae is one of driving easily the best car, far superior to even any of his team-mates.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 16:03 (Ref:3716150)   #91
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
This is classic testing nonsense.

He crashed twice - wow.

It's testing. Write him off after half a season, sure, but not after a couple of mistakes in his first test with new equipment.
This is my point. There are very few chances for a rookie to the rookie things and indeed none outside of the limelight, thus he and others are judged on a brief test. That said not many recently have wrecked a car twice at the same test.

I'll certainly reserve judgment on him as a whole but so far he's been less than impressive.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 17:37 (Ref:3716175)   #92
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
No but Max V's first drive of an F1 car in Rotterdam didn't go so well. Youtube it if you don't remember...
Old 3 Mar 2017, 17:41 (Ref:3716176)   #93
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Its pretty poor show to shunt on your first lap. The car is new, likely low on parts etc. To be honest im half surprised that Massa or their test driver wasn't doing more of the testing. I'm of course aware he needs seat time being a rookie, but it just doesn't make a lot of sense to send a rookie out without having things like a spare wing available.
Binned it on the outlap of his first ever lap in a Daytona Prototype too.

Willing to bet his dad injected Williams with cash to make his his boy got priority in the test.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 17:41 (Ref:3716177)   #94
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Thank you but the corollary to that is that we can expect Lance to blitz the rest of the field in Australia.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 17:45 (Ref:3716179)   #95
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Thank you but the corollary to that is that we can expect Lance to blitz the rest of the field in Australia.

You never know.
Old 26 Jun 2017, 03:40 (Ref:3746860)   #96
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Humble Pie....get your Humble Pie here....have a large helping theres plenty for all the naysayers......
Old 26 Jun 2017, 21:33 (Ref:3747121)   #97
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm happy he's had a good race weekend. Out qualified Massa and drive a top race to get a podium. This is hopefully the first of many for him (I wasn't impressed in Canada, his driving seemed erratic).

It is the first, so I don't think the pie is ready to eat yet, but it's just about to go in the oven...
Old 26 Jun 2017, 22:05 (Ref:3747124)   #98
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Massa was ahead of him, before Felipe's car broke, but still a mature drive from start to finish was all that required
Old 27 Jun 2017, 08:45 (Ref:3747220)   #99
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hang hang on.

The kid 'done good' but this race was probably more about a test of his mental strength than out and out skill.

Plenty of decent drivers have got podiums yet still flopped when it all boils down but I hope for him it really was the start of a good career.
Old 27 Jun 2017, 09:07 (Ref:3747229)   #100
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I'm happy he's had a good race weekend. Out qualified Massa and drive a top race to get a podium. This is hopefully the first of many for him (I wasn't impressed in Canada, his driving seemed erratic).

It is the first, so I don't think the pie is ready to eat yet, but it's just about to go in the oven...
More podiums than Le Mans winner and Renault headliner Nico Hulkenberg
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House