Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 28 Oct 2003, 03:30 (Ref:765315)   #1
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Racing community feasibility??

Im sure everyone has seen a golf community.

What do you guys/gals think of a racing community.

A small subdivision surrounded by a natural terrain roadcourse.

All community members would have full access to the facilities during non event times 9am-6pm.

There would be family camping and recreation in the infield for non racers.

All community members would recieve season passes for all races held.

I think this idea has merit for a number of reasons.

1) The community would be supportive of the facility and most likely take ownership of it.

2) You could reasonably have 1 or 2 12 or 24 hour enduros a year considering everyone living there is a racer or enthusiast.

3) You could have a dues system similar to a golf community to help fund upkeep and whatnot (nothing ridiculous of course).

4) It is a new and exciting idea in these times of old worn out ones.

So whos down with this? Is this a logical/feasible idea? Does anyone have the capital to try it? What could be done to make it better etc. etc....
Old 28 Oct 2003, 06:41 (Ref:765395)   #2
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Patrick B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sound's like heaven

No really i like it. Im actually planning on moving from my present enviroment in nowheresville Alberta. One of my requirement's for a new location is access to a track that has regular track day's. Im not sure if id want to live right beside the track unless there's resonable db level requirement's tho...
Old 28 Oct 2003, 08:11 (Ref:765455)   #3
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The VIR (Virginia International(?) Raceway) were trying to create something like this, modelled along the lines of a golf/country club rather than the collection of homes you mention.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 08:28 (Ref:765473)   #4
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I saw those kinda communities when I lived in Chicagoland...a racing one would be sooooooo cool but maybe a little sad
Old 28 Oct 2003, 09:43 (Ref:765523)   #5
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Well, it's not exactly the original idea of this thread, but if money's no object then here's the place for all of us Klaas Zwart's Ascari resort in Spain
or on it's own home page here although I don't seem to be able to get access to it - maybe it knows I just don't have the money.

All contributions welcome - €1 million should'nt be too hard to get in order to make me a founder member, or failing that lets try and get me £14,000 for a good day out.
Old 28 Oct 2003, 09:47 (Ref:765527)   #6
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
anything that talks about "the right sort of people" usually means I'd be excluded
Old 28 Oct 2003, 10:29 (Ref:765557)   #7
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
anything that talks about "the right sort of people" usually means I'd be excluded
Or, as Groucho Marx said "I wouldn't want to belong to any club which would have me as a member".
Old 28 Oct 2003, 14:28 (Ref:765768)   #8
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, there is such a place in Colorado. I don't recall its naem, but will google for it when I get to work, if someone else doesn't find it first. IIRC, one can't just decide to go out for a few laps whenever the urge strikes due to the requirement to have emergency crews available anytime there are cars on track, but the facility is open for hot lapping several days a week.
Old 30 Oct 2003, 04:58 (Ref:767731)   #9
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know they have the same idea with Airplanes in a couple of different places, they hae been pretty succesful. I love the idea, or at the least, maybe set up a design for a track like and airport with large garages that run directly onto the course
Old 30 Oct 2003, 07:43 (Ref:767795)   #10
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow, it sounds like a great idea, I really don't know if there would be enough takers though.
Old 1 Nov 2003, 22:58 (Ref:770395)   #11
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I reckon I can think of the perfect place - West Kingsdown in kent UK. Backs onto Brands Hatch. If the copmmunity was all motorsport then perhaps you could extend brands to have a round the houses section?

Or the other option is the 'new' brooklands at Longcross in Surrey.
Old 2 Nov 2003, 01:58 (Ref:770481)   #12
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds like a good idea to me!
Old 8 Nov 2003, 14:44 (Ref:776931)   #13
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have a look at www.mountpanoramaresort.com.au

Very different to what is proposed here, but conceptually it is somewhat similar in a way.

Your thoughts.............
Old 15 Nov 2003, 15:17 (Ref:784349)   #14
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've seen plans for just such a community for here in South East Queensland. It hasn't been built yet, but knowing he was doing it and stuff in the past he has said he would do and has just gone and done it, I'd be surprised if it didn't happen.
Old 27 Nov 2003, 02:13 (Ref:795685)   #15
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
OK, Mark more info please?
Old 27 Nov 2003, 03:24 (Ref:795715)   #16
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know exactly what Falcadore refers to but the Darlington Park complex might be a possibility for this sort of thing.

The are some (grand?) plans for a resort by the circuit. If it spread to the surrounding houses perhaps the noise problems would be solved and a racing community started(?)
Old 29 Nov 2003, 02:00 (Ref:797815)   #17
Alpina
Veteran

Alpina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How easy do you think it would be to get planning permission for such as place? Here in scotland I can think of 3 tracks that were denied permission in the last 20 years. One of them was an extension to an existing track beside an airport and it had Jackie Stewart as a backer.
The idea is excellent and I hope one gets built.

Golf ? Pah!
Old 29 Nov 2003, 12:33 (Ref:798197)   #18
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
ScottDay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GREAT IDEA MAN!!!!