Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 30 Nov 2005, 12:12 (Ref:1473822)   #276
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as you are from Scotland Dave, I still think you aren't the farthest. Robin Palmer from Cornwall and James Green from Devon must be even further. I don't want to try to influence people, and I have tried to select my words carefully, but it is such an extreme suggestion that I think everyone with a view, either for or against should make Simon or Pauline aware of it.
Old 30 Nov 2005, 12:44 (Ref:1473836)   #277
skmanuk
Racer

England
skmanuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Approx distances as follows

Dover 495miles
Torquay 498miles
Swansea 460miles
Plymouth 520miles

even 345 miles from Peterborough so for us will be 3 days off work, 4 nights hotels, petrol £150, truck diesel £290, plus all usual costs.

I for one will not enter this meeting, the costs are wildly disproportionate to the tracktime.

For the same money you could spend the day driving F1 cars in the south of France
Old 30 Nov 2005, 12:51 (Ref:1473839)   #278
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
485 miles for us, each way.
Old 30 Nov 2005, 12:51 (Ref:1473841)   #279
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Funnily enough, I did say (tongue in cheek) that France is closer.
Old 30 Nov 2005, 12:55 (Ref:1473845)   #280
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pearson
I think, THR that the majority of people at the organising end of Motor Sport do think they are aiming it at people with lots of money. The strange irony of it is, that by my observations over the many years of involvement that 95% of any club grid is made up of drivers who can only just afford to be there. Eventually, I fear, the constant efforts of those on high to wring more money from competitors will drive most if not all of the 95% away, and the remaining 5% with money will never be enough to sustain the sport.
And your right, both tracks are miles from most places, but I suspect only 3-4 hours for the majority to Pembrey.
The real problem other than the tedium of travelling for drivers in the midlands or the south is for self employed or similar workers. Going to Scotland for a race would mean leaving work on Wednesday evening, travelling back on th Monday and re-starting work on Tuesday. That is a lot of working hours and so a lot of money lost.

Maybe its time to consider far more Regional Racing as the way forward for the Clubman. This would cut down significantly on travelling and Accom costs and may also create far more local interest for spectators, the media and Sponsors (!).

I guess that there will always be a few "top of the range" series, like BARC F Renault or ARP F3 (if it hasn't imploded), that would want to have a national profile but for many people local racing may make sense. I accept that this may mean that there would have to be multi-class racing to get full grids (as an eg Class A - ARP F3, Class B - F Renault, Class C - Mono 2000, Class D - F4. You could even have you 40mm ride height if you wanted) but this could be offset by an end of year single seater festival (or saloon or Sports car festival for that matter) from which the national ARP F3/ F Renault/ Mono etc etc champion would emerge.
Old 30 Nov 2005, 13:02 (Ref:1473854)   #281
ianpearson
Racer

ianpearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regional is a bit extreme, england would be nice
Old 30 Nov 2005, 14:44 (Ref:1473925)   #282
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Andy, I have thought this in the past as well, but events seem to prove us wrong. Semsec and BARC single seater formulas are the initial step into this, but neither have ever got anywhere near big enough to justify dividing them up into classes. I don't really understand why.
Old 30 Nov 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1474119)   #283
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I really enjoy the time away from work going to Cadwell or wherever, but I would agree that there are certainly limits. I tend to think that the costs of a weekend trip to Knockhill for many people would be at least equal to going to Spa and I know what I would prefer.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 06:06 (Ref:1474379)   #284
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97
I guess that there will always be a few "top of the range" series, like BARC F Renault or ARP F3 (if it hasn't imploded), that would want to have a national profile but for many people local racing may make sense. I accept that this may mean that there would have to be multi-class racing to get full grids (as an eg Class A - ARP F3, Class B - F Renault, Class C - Mono 2000, Class D - F4.
Yup, this is an idea I tried to float to the ARP boys, but they didn't even reply. I think they are a bit above running their precious cars alongside other (non-F3-engined) F3 chassis and F.Renaults. I personally think it would be a great series:
ARP F3 all classes, say A - C,
Mono 2000 class D
F.Renault 2000 Class E
F.Renault Class F

All cars can run at design height.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 08:53 (Ref:1474440)   #285
Bob Pearson
Veteran

You're dead right Kickstart, it is nice to get away and I enjoy weekends at Croft and Pembrey but there is a limit past which it becomes hard work and unacceptably expensive. That's a nice dream Andy, rather like the old Formula Libre events, but I think you hit on one of the main stumbling blocks. Too many vested interests.
I guess we are little better, we have become too reliant on Renault's prize money
Old 1 Dec 2005, 14:45 (Ref:1474757)   #286
e12
Rookie

Denmark
e12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the proposed expansion of the schedule, does it appear that many TOCA teams will be entering BARC races next year with their TOCA championship drivers as a way to get extra seat time?
Old 1 Dec 2005, 15:21 (Ref:1474793)   #287
ianpearson
Racer

ianpearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't fully understand it but there is an issue/ rule that stops registered drivers for series like F3 / uk Renault racing in lower championships, this would stop drivers racing in both series. I'm sure Takuma Sato was once entered for A BARC renault race in 2001 to learn rockingham ahead of the F3 round but was stopped from competing by this very rule