Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Jul 2004, 18:27 (Ref:1025974)   #1
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams strategy for the rest of 2004

Do you think they should stick with Gene for the rest of the year (if Olaf is out 'til then) or rotate the drivers in the second car? I'm just thinking that

a) they desperately need some continuity to get on with things

or, conversely b)

the gap to Ferrari, Renault, BAR is largely out of their hands at this stage of the season so their best bet is to work thru' driver options; a series of different stand-ins, to see if any can provide the necessary inspiration.

what would you do?
Old 4 Jul 2004, 18:30 (Ref:1025977)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The rest of 2004 for Williams will be damage limitation. It's been an awful season for the Williams squad - an underperforming car, two (for the most part) underperforming drivers and a team who have been overtaken by Renault and BAR. Who would have thought of that at season's beginning?!?!?

This may be like 2002 all over again. Just continue what they are doing and get the best results possible while now adjusting their focus on 2005 with developing a new car and getting the two best drivers possible for the job.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 18:31 (Ref:1025978)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The thing is which ever they chose it is limited by who is realistically available.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 18:45 (Ref:1025994)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Save the money, and just do an 'Arrows' for the remaining races.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 18:49 (Ref:1026001)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JPM and Gene should continue.

It's the car that's the problem, not the drivers.

Still, if McLaren overtake them, Frank's team can at least look forward to being able to run a third car on Fridays next year.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 21:25 (Ref:1026133)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren's just 15 points behind them. It had been much talked about, McLaren's demise, but Williams isn't that far ahead of them. The question is, is the twin-keel and walrus nose the source of all troubles, or is there another problem with the car? (though I suppose both probably go along)
Old 4 Jul 2004, 21:33 (Ref:1026142)   #7
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Williams obviously need to defend from McLaren - but mainly plan for next year.

I would want to start trialling whatever next years drivers they have in mind in race conditions - there's nothing like a proper race weekend to test a driver's mettle. For the sake of this season though - experienced race drivers the preferable choice.

If they could get Webber transferred early the better. The title is out of the question and not even worth trying for. Unless Michael does a Silverstone '99 again, it's safely his.

Of course I expect them to fairer than me and give Gené a few more races, and maybe swap with Pizzonia for a bit; the I'd definately expect them to put Ralf back in the car as soon as possible unless he signs up for someone first / announcement is made.

Last edited by Hazard; 4 Jul 2004 at 21:34.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 22:25 (Ref:1026188)   #8
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give Gene another race.

If he doesn't do well at Silverstone then he will have to be replaced.

If Williams do finish 5th behind McLaren then they can run a 3rd car on Fridays next year, but if Gene does do more than another 4 races he can't have the 3rd car.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 15:25 (Ref:1026843)   #9
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
JPM and Gene should continue.

It's the car that's the problem, not the drivers.

I disagree. JPM made a rookie error and spun yet still beat Gene by 16+ seconds. True, Williams car could be better, but Ralf and JPM have butchered the year again. I question JPM's incentive as well and Gene, well he's average. I will be disappointed if FW (et al) choose to remain status quo for 2004.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 15:32 (Ref:1026849)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gene was closer to Montoya than Trulli was to Alonso.
Old 5 Jul 2004, 16:01 (Ref:1026883)   #11
fog_shadow
Racer

fog_shadow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Osella,
good to see a post from you

i think they should stick with Gene. take a leaf out of what Michael said in the post race interview after the french GP 2004. they got nothing to lose, they have to just make a decision, and stick with it. i'd like to see Gene get a few more races with Williams. there are eight races to go, enough to give them a chance to evaluate pizzonia as well, and maybe if it's on the cards to let JV have a run.

fog_shadow
Old 6 Jul 2004, 02:50 (Ref:1027569)   #12
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Gene helped his chances of securing a long term drive by having one of his rivals for the seat beat him in an inferior car, i'd like to see Gene given at least one more race to prove himself but i don't know if Frank Williams would be prepared to have another race like that one.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 03:19 (Ref:1027590)   #13
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best move would be to bite the bullet and get out his wallet.Get the drivers he wants for next year now and develop the car for next season now with drivers that want to succeed.It would garrebtee good results after a couple of rounds.

The Grumpy1
Old 6 Jul 2004, 03:49 (Ref:1027597)   #14
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree grumpy - if they start next year with two new drivers it has to take a while for everything to "gel", use the rest of this year for that and hit the ground running in Melbourne next year.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 16:34 (Ref:1028227)   #15
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But most likely, even if they do what you say, Ferrari's F2005 will still be bloody better...

I really don't think it's the drivers, even though I'll admit I'd like to see Jacques in a Williams.
Old 6 Jul 2004, 21:11 (Ref:1028536)   #16
Tye
Racer

Canada
Canada
Tye has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Williams...

The team is in need of stability in all areas. I think the driver situation will take time to right itself and that should really come as no surprise. It was shaky at best before Ralf's accident and with him out for quite awhile it looks as though the situation may get worse before it gets better. I'd run Gene for the next race and if he can't pull the load then I'd give Pizzonia his cahnce at a drive.

These are trying times for a very proud racing team. I just hope they can right themselves and stay ahead of McLaren.

Tye