Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Jun 2006, 07:22 (Ref:1636993)   #1
mjt57
Racer

mjt57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8 Superstars - Defunct?

In Friday's Herald-Sun (Victoria) newspaper, in the motoring section someone had written in asking why the V8 Superstars show wasn't being broadcast. The editor replied saying that apparently Avesco was no longer interested in Network Ten delivering this product.

Any of you guys know why they dropped this show?

Would it have anything to do with the participants and their often critical view of how the sport is administered?
Old 19 Jun 2006, 08:47 (Ref:1637027)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it was announced last year that ten were not going to show it. part of the trade off was more telecasts on race day.

But cant add anymore to the reasons

On this website people were very anti superstars (no suprise as it fits in with the whole anti v8 thing)
Old 19 Jun 2006, 09:07 (Ref:1637042)   #3
BigDaddy
Rookie

Australia
Victoria
BigDaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is because the drivers argued over topics that they agreed on anyway, just for the sake of arguing.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 09:08 (Ref:1637043)   #4
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
totally agree peck
Old 19 Jun 2006, 09:17 (Ref:1637048)   #5
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peckstar, being a V8 Supercar and VESA groupie i'm sure you know the real reason that the show was axed. No need to mislead our fellow forum members with your ' they're all anti V8 '.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 09:26 (Ref:1637054)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
i didnt pete. i just said that there was a lot of negative comment on here about it, amazingly it was usally the same people who are anti V8SA, but im sure that is just coincidence

thats not misleading as history on these pages show it as true.

so in other words take any comments you get back with a healthy degree of skeptisim as most of the people on here were anti the show
Old 19 Jun 2006, 09:59 (Ref:1637070)   #7
pete55
Veteran

I think most people on here think that the show could be a lot better instead of constant rule changes, race format changes, and the constant money grabbing by VESA and Co. for every little thing they can think of to grab. Not a lot of fans agree with everything TC and his cronies do, but forums such as this one is a place where people can air their views. In the end this forum probably is a general view of what people think as there is a real mix of people in the industry and fans here.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 10:09 (Ref:1637074)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
sorry pete, though we were talking about v8 superstars.

but forums provide a very limited view of what people thing, for a start it is limited to people with the internet and people who are generally diehard fans who can be bothered going to a forum.

its does not represent the general speactator or viewer, or if it does it is a minor ways, generally it represents a mids 30 plus male demographic and usally from capital cities

V8supercars while aimed at that demographic is also aimed at women and people under 30 and also country people ( who interistingly enough are one of the largest supporter groups)

But i stand by what i said on v8 superstars (what this thread is about) generally the people on here were anti the show, so asking people on here why it failed may not provide a correct answer or if it does its will be a case of sorting the correct answer from the BS
Old 19 Jun 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1637076)   #9
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
i thought the show was good if they just lowered the mucking around down a bit not take it away completly just tone it down a bit because some of the stuff they did was funny they just took it over the top a bit and had convisations instead of trying to talk over each other.

then the show would be great.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 08:33 (Ref:1637510)   #10
Aquarius
Racer

Aquarius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the show was axed because is lacked any real substance last season, and the SUPER egos were destroying the show's credibility.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 08:52 (Ref:1637534)   #11
carma
Racer

Australia
sunny gold coast. oh yeah!!!!!!
carma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
personally i thought the show was tops .seeing top drivers have a bit of a niggle at each other is good for ratings . and egos is all a part of any top rating sport / show
Old 20 Jun 2006, 09:22 (Ref:1637559)   #12
SRabbit
Veteran

SRabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
interesting to see that part of the channel 7 deal is 25 dedicated V8Supercar shows to go with the 100 hours of racing ensuring that there are V8Supercars on the tele every weekend for the duration of the season.

I doubt they'll do the whole panel thing but it will be interesting to see how they'll fill the hours
Old 20 Jun 2006, 09:46 (Ref:1637582)   #13
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius
I thought the show was axed because is lacked any real substance last season, and the SUPER egos were destroying the show's credibility.
That's what I thought...
Old 20 Jun 2006, 09:56 (Ref:1637589)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carma
personally i thought the show was tops .seeing top drivers have a bit of a niggle at each other is good for ratings . and egos is all a part of any top rating sport / show

Without meaning to upset Peckstar, the issue was there werent any ratings.

TEN pulled the plug as oppossed to Avesco. David Brabham's call of renaming the show "SuperEgo's" hit a nerve and there has been no show since.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 10:42 (Ref:1637626)   #15
pete55
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.

TEN pulled the plug as oppossed to Avesco.
That's not what i was told.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 18:01 (Ref:1637890)   #16
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The show had promise..........if they stuck to the motor racing.

The biggest mistake was introducing a studio audience (then later having them as 'gala' nights). All it did was encourage the drivers to play up to the crowd and act like idiots. Some of the time we got into some good discussions, but they were invariably spoilt or cut off to move onto another topic.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 23:36 (Ref:1638116)   #17
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
The show had promise..........if they stuck to the motor racing.

The biggest mistake was introducing a studio audience (then later having them as 'gala' nights). All it did was encourage the drivers to play up to the crowd and act like idiots. Some of the time we got into some good discussions, but they were invariably spoilt or cut off to move onto another topic.
The original show was great - credible and fun. The drivers aren't stupid - they wouldn't pull "pranks" like the sand thing unless thats what the producers were after, so I don't think you can blame the drivers for the carry on. Changing the host wasn't a great idea.

They were clearly trying to target the football audience with the show, and motorracing fans didn't like it, understandably.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 02:41 (Ref:1638153)   #18
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
sorry pete, though we were talking about v8 superstars.

but forums provide a very limited view of what people thing, for a start it is limited to people with the internet and people who are generally diehard fans who can be bothered going to a forum.

its does not represent the general speactator or viewer, or if it does it is a minor ways, generally it represents a mids 30 plus male demographic and usally from capital cities

V8supercars while aimed at that demographic is also aimed at women and people under 30 and also country people ( who interistingly enough are one of the largest supporter groups)
Yeah, people with the internet, that's a very small group there.

It's news to me that motorsport internet forums were so skewed, i would have thought the memberships were as geographically diverse as our nation. You do realise that the majority of Australians live within the capital cities don't you?

There are also many, many members of this forum under 35.

Plus, the male/female ratio of this forum is probably quite comparable with the male/female ratio among Australians who consider themselves a motorsport fan.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 08:03 (Ref:1638228)   #19
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
david i think i said "people with the internet and people who are generally diehard fans who can be bothered going to a forum" taht is a very samll group, probably about 100 people in all of australia, who would regularly come on line. hardly representative

I think maybe you need to get out of the pits a bit more and into the crowd, you will find that women represent about 1 in ten spectators and also watches, hardly representative of this forum

You will also find that people under 18 make up a significant portion of the crowd, hardly representative, and if you were to do a survey, which i have done on other motorsport forums ( and i have seen nothing to suggest this one is different as many people double up) then most people are male and 35 plus, which is not representative of the crowd.

You will also find from V8SA polling that country people are out of proportion to city people which is also not representive of this forum.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 08:16 (Ref:1638242)   #20
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
david i think i said "people with the internet and people who are generally diehard fans who can be bothered going to a forum" taht is a very samll group, probably about 100 people in all of australia, who would regularly come on line. hardly representative
Are you seriously suggesting that only 100 or so Australians regularly go on-line and contribute to motorsport forums? I'm sure it's a hell of a lot more than that! This forum alone would probably have more than that.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 08:18 (Ref:1638245)   #21
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Quote:
I think maybe you need to get out of the pits a bit more and into the crowd, you will find that women represent about 1 in ten spectators and also watches, hardly representative of this forum
I do spend a bit of time on the hill and i can assure you that women make up a lot more than 10% of the crowd at V8SC race meetings.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 08:22 (Ref:1638247)   #22
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Quote:
You will also find that people under 18 make up a significant portion of the crowd, hardly representative, and if you were to do a survey, which i have done on other motorsport forums ( and i have seen nothing to suggest this one is different as many people double up) then most people are male and 35 plus, which is not representative of the crowd.
How big was your survey sample and how random? You said earlier that there are only 100 or so people in Australia who regularly visit motorsport forums and any reputable survey company will tell you that 100 people isn't anywhere near enough to take a proper sample, thereby tainting the data you have collected.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 08:29 (Ref:1638253)   #23
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Quote:
You will also find from V8SA polling that country people are out of proportion to city people which is also not representive of this forum.
Quite simply, I don't understand this statement. I'm sure you have a point, i just can't work out what it is.

Define country people & city people for starters. Is someone from Ballarat country or city? Is someone from Griffin country or city.

From V8SC polls and your data, what is the city/country ratio of:-
1. Australia's population
2. the crowd at V8SC meetings.
3. V8SC TV viewers.
4. the members of this forum.

You've already made the statement, so you must already have the data.
Old 21 Jun 2006, 08:46 (Ref:1638265)   #24
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
What i am saying is country people attend v8 supercars in a greater percentage than their percentge of the total population. it does not include rural cities like ballarat

country people represent ar 20-25 percent of total population
the crowds at v8 rounds are around the 30-40%

TV audiences are similar

Internet people from country is closer to 50% (around 46%)

As you said women represent more than ten% of the crowd, it obvously depends on the venue , but they sure dont represnt ten percent of regular posters on this forum, in fact i would be suprised if they represented 5% which is one in 20 compared to 1 in ten or better at the track

when i used the term regular i was meaning 3 times a week or more and also have to post, i doubt you will find more than 100, yes there are more than 100 members, but very few post and very few post regularly especially betwen rounds

You are right 100 people dosnt make a sample, thats my whole point, the members on here dont represent a sample,because it is too small and not representative. it does as i said represnt "people with the internet and people who are generally diehard fans who can be bothered going to a forum"

i received around 50 replies (depends on the question)

TV audiences are similar
Internet people from country is closer to 50% (around 46%)

my experience in motorsport forums suggest that the city country mix is similar to the general population, but the percentage of people from sydney and qld is out of proportion the the percentage of victorians
Old 21 Jun 2006, 13:57 (Ref:1638431)   #25
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
with the sand thing i cant see murph bringing a bucket of sand from his sons sand pit.

also the bread roll thing i cant see the boys stoping off at the store closest to where the show was being done at and not eating them but just throwing them at poor old bradley.