Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 14 Sep 2006, 15:44 (Ref:1710290)   #1
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2007 IndyCar schedule news/rumours

Nashville was confirmed for the 2007 schedule yesterday, bringing the total number of confirmed races up to seven. Also, during the race coverage from ChicagoLand the int'l commentators speculated that there would be one or two more non-ovals added to the schedule for next year.

This is how the 2007 schedule stands thus far:

• April 1 – Streets of St. Petersburg, Fla.
• May 27 – Indianapolis Motor Speedway
• June 3 – The Milwaukee Mile
• June 9 – Texas Motor Speedway
• June 24 – Iowa Speedway
• July 14 - Nashville Superspeedway
• Aug. 13 – Kentucky Speedway

I think we can expect to see Homestead, Richmond, Watkins Glen, Infineon, Michigan, ChicagoLand and Kansas return to the schedule as well. I have my doubts about Motegi though.
Old 16 Sep 2006, 15:54 (Ref:1711889)   #2
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Motegi Indycar race is Honda's biggest corporate perk from the series and the sole reason why they built that oval there.

IRL doesn't promote the race, so if it doesn't make money it's not a big deal to them and Honda picks up the costs of transporting all the cars and equipment over to Japan.

They only sell like 30000-40000 tickets, but that's limited by the roads leading to the track, they could probably sell 80000+ with better road links.
Old 16 Sep 2006, 16:02 (Ref:1711890)   #3
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Here's the calender I've seen

11 March Los Angeles
25 March Homestead
01 April St Petersburg
15 April Motegi
22 April Kansas
27 May Indianapolis
03 June Milawaukee
10 June Texas
24 June Iowa
01 July Richmond
08 July Watkins Glen
15 July Nashville
22 July Michigan
5 August Montreal
12 Augst Kentucky
19 August Sears Point
26 August Mid-Ohio
02 September Belle Isle
09 September Chicagoland
Old 16 Sep 2006, 16:18 (Ref:1711893)   #4
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
an LA race in March would be only a week or 2 removed from the Long Beach Grand Prix about an hour away.

I doubt the IRL would want to run 3 road course races in a row to end the season before Chicago.
Old 16 Sep 2006, 16:51 (Ref:1711908)   #5
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
whoa whoa where did all these road courses come from??? Belle Isle? Mid-Ohio? LA?
I'd like to see a reference to this
Old 16 Sep 2006, 18:46 (Ref:1711963)   #6
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's possible that Mid-Ohio, Montreal and Detroit will be added to the 2007 clanander, and Michigan could be dropped
Old 16 Sep 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1711979)   #7
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So how many more ex champ car races are there now? ovals are different street circuits were created by champ car well established by them at where they are racing for '07 if that is final for some...anyway its just a little odd why they can't be original and make their own successful events with only just a few original IRL. But hey that's just my opinion.
Old 16 Sep 2006, 22:26 (Ref:1712056)   #8
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
So how many more ex champ car races are there now? ovals are different street circuits were created by champ car well established by them at where they are racing for '07 if that is final for some...anyway its just a little odd why they can't be original and make their own successful events with only just a few original IRL. But hey that's just my opinion.
Because that would be a logical idea, and this is still Tony George we're talking about.
Old 17 Sep 2006, 09:35 (Ref:1712176)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips1
It's possible that Mid-Ohio, Montreal and Detroit will be added to the 2007 clanander, and Michigan could be dropped
Mid ohio, detroit, LA are fantasies. Montreal may be a possibility, but does nascar really want to share the billing with the irl as they stampede into canada. Likely not.
Old 17 Sep 2006, 18:24 (Ref:1712435)   #10
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks, mountainstar
Old 17 Sep 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1712478)   #11
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To expand some more:

Mid-Ohio- Open wheel racing at MO in any form doesn't seem to be in the business plan of the track.

Detriot- I remember reading some scribbles recently about belle isle. The city owns belle isle and having a race is far down their list of priorities. I heard what was the track would need a ton of infrastructure work, including the appropriate approval from the city. Even IF, and that's an if because there is no promoter stepping forward, including RP, you fast tracked it, there is no way it could happen for next year.

LA: Again there is no one who has stepped forward to either promote or get approvals from the city to run an event. People have talked about going head to head against the long beach gp by running this fantasy race within 2 weeks of it. That is total stupidity starting a new race against a long established race like long beach. But again, there is nobody out there who has raised their hand and said hey I'm interested in maybe promoting this.
Old 17 Sep 2006, 23:52 (Ref:1712558)   #12
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Detriot- I remember reading some scribbles recently about belle isle. The city owns belle isle and having a race is far down their list of priorities. I heard what was the track would need a ton of infrastructure work, including the appropriate approval from the city. Even IF, and that's an if because there is no promoter stepping forward, including RP, you fast tracked it, there is no way it could happen for next year.
Not to mention that Detroit City Hall is bankrupt and has no money to spend on basic things, like police and fire departments. I really doubt that they will be willing to shell even more more money for a one day event like they did with the Super Bowl which in the end dont contribute much to the local economy.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 01:56 (Ref:1712579)   #13
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
So if open wheel racing isn't priority at MO, what is? Bikes?
Old 18 Sep 2006, 23:27 (Ref:1713303)   #14
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewdawg727
So if open wheel racing isn't priority at MO, what is? Bikes?
Definately.

I remember an interview years ago with michelle trueman and they thought the bikes brought much more revenue to the track than anything.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 12:21 (Ref:1713716)   #15
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
The Detroit race could be at Sept. 2nd
Old 19 Sep 2006, 17:52 (Ref:1713999)   #16
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Definately.

I remember an interview years ago with michelle trueman and they thought the bikes brought much more revenue to the track than anything.
See how smart i am?

I figured it looked like a bike track more than anything...with all the up and down hills located just about everywhere on the track. I'm sure that it brought entertainment for CART to be there in the past.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 19:12 (Ref:1714047)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They also run the ALMS, Grand-Am and Historics there.

The SCCA Runoffs were held there for years, but now NASA will be there for their nationals in the autumn

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 20 Sep 2006, 09:45 (Ref:1714497)   #18
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CNN are reporting that AGR, Ganassi etc will be testing at Daytona International Speedway (Yes, THAT one...) later this year to see if it would make a suitable test venue...

...And if it would make a suitible test venue Barnhardt has stated that it'd be a bit of a waste just to test there...

How goddamn cool is that?
Old 20 Sep 2006, 09:48 (Ref:1714498)   #19
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And thoose who don't trust me on my word alone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN

Barnhart said the Ganassi, Andretti, Penske and Panther teams will test at Daytona on Sept. 26-27 to determine whether the track is suitable as a permanent IRL test site. If that works out, he said, a race at the high-banked NASCAR track would get serious consideration.

"Ultimately, I don't think we want to be looking at a facility just as a test facility," the IRL boss said. "If things go well in the first year of testing, then I would hope the league and the facility would have an eye toward racing there in the future."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
Old 20 Sep 2006, 14:13 (Ref:1714718)   #20
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
And thoose who don't trust me on my word alone...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
Thet are testing on the road course
Old 20 Sep 2006, 14:41 (Ref:1714734)   #21
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This articel ran in the Indy Star today...

If the tests go well, they may race ther in 2008

Here is the link

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...609200454/1052

Old 20 Sep 2006, 14:41 (Ref:1714735)   #22
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
BTW....

If they do, it'll be on the road course and not the oval.

Old 20 Sep 2006, 15:20 (Ref:1714754)   #23
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
Why do they need more road courses? IRL looks to be changing into yet another series where the ovals are slowly gonna be weeded out at this rate.
Old 20 Sep 2006, 15:35 (Ref:1714762)   #24
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
The oval's 31-degree banks at full throttle would be too much G-Forces on the drivers and would be dangerous, so the Oval is not an option...

And I did not gather anything from Mr. Barnhart's statement that would imply that the IRL would drop an oval for the Daytona road course.

I think it will be an added date to the schedule, if it ever comes about.

IMO, I think it would make sense to do Daytona in or as part of Speedweeks in February....Daytona is a different market than Miami or Tampa/St. Pete...

Old 20 Sep 2006, 19:47 (Ref:1714962)   #25
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I read somewhere that open wheel racing was banned from using the oval since the '50s after a tragic accident. (Daytona)

The 19 round schedule above I very much doubt especially this season with just the 14 rounds. I think more realistically 17.

My guess is the Michigan speedway will be dropped in exchange for the Belle Isle street race. Down to attendnace as it had dropped each year and a street race is a certainty in terms of getting the fans to turn up as you're bringing the racin' to the fans. Wonder what layout it shall be. Ex CART layouts?