Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 1 Dec 2020, 18:56 (Ref:4019981)   #1
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What happened to....?

Seems like a good thread to start. Lots of IndyCar drivers...even good ones come and go. Big turnover especially in recent years. A lot of drivers from the 2000's and early 2010's not around anymore. I don't think anybody from before 1999 (when Helio, Kanaan, and JPM started) are in Indycar anymore.
Old 1 Dec 2020, 18:58 (Ref:4019982)   #2
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What happend to Sam Hornish? He is a force in Indycar in the 2000s. Decides after 1 Indy 500 win and one championship that he had no interest anymore and left for NASCAR. Falls flat in Cup, but found a niche and almost won the Grand National title in 2013 and then disappears.

Is he retired?
Old 1 Dec 2020, 21:55 (Ref:4020027)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yeah, now that you mention it, Sam Hornish Jr seems to have not just slipped off the radar, but off the face of the earth too. I haven’t heard anything from him for yonks
Old 1 Dec 2020, 22:10 (Ref:4020033)   #4
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Sam Hornish Jr seems to have not just slipped off the radar, but off the face of the earth too
On the 2nd of March he was still around

https://www.uvu.edu/news/2020/03/03022020_hornish.html
Old 2 Dec 2020, 01:50 (Ref:4020070)   #5
WyldStallion
Veteran

To continue the them of Indy 500 winners who disappeared: Wondering where is Kenny Brack and Buddy Rice.

Among other past indy car drivers I am curious about: Thomas Sheckter, AJ Foyt IV, John Paul Jr, EJ Viso, Vitor Meira
Old 2 Dec 2020, 02:20 (Ref:4020077)   #6
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
What happend to Sam Hornish? He is a force in Indycar in the 2000s. Decides after 1 Indy 500 win and one championship that he had no interest anymore and left for NASCAR. Falls flat in Cup, but found a niche and almost won the Grand National title in 2013 and then disappears.

Is he retired?
He was pushed, or requested it depends on the interview, by Penske to NASCAR to push the team forward. Some claim he was also set to lose his Indy seat but given he, at the time, held the record for series wins, and had won the championship in 2007 I'm guessing he wasn't close to being fired. So pushed out sounds like Indy fans hating on a guy leaving. Penske likely had a deal ready and could get more money with him in the stockcar program, and at the time I believe RM claimed the NASCAR payday could be well over double Indy per race. Don't think he ever showed the math but multiple drivers went mid-pack NASCAR over non-front 3 Indy so likely some truth to it.

It appears he has retired from top line stockcar racing, haven't seen a race entry since 2017
Old 2 Dec 2020, 02:24 (Ref:4020079)   #7
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
John Paul Jr has been battling Huntington's for close to 20 years now after testing with the Corvette GT1 program lead him to get checked out. It's been a fairly public battle with many articles and fundraising activites
Old 2 Dec 2020, 16:22 (Ref:4020193)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Kenny Brack has been driver managing and test driving various supercars and race cars.
Old 6 Dec 2020, 20:58 (Ref:4021176)   #9
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
John Paul Jr has been battling Huntington's for close to 20 years now
Karma?

jimclark
Old 7 Dec 2020, 05:14 (Ref:4021263)   #10
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty sure Sam Hornish is still a teacher of bible studies and does speaking engagements.
Happy to stay at home these days.
Old 3 Jan 2021, 05:40 (Ref:4026527)   #11
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
Karma?

I'm pretty sure that his medical condition was purely due to genetics.

He was perhaps the most talented young driver in the USA in the 1980-1982 time frame, equal to or above Michael Andretti and Al Jr. It's a shame that the fallout from the "family business" interrupted his racing career, but it's a complicated situation. My guess is that he would never have gotten into cars that would have shown his talent without his father's money. I'm not going to argue that the end (putting a huge talent out where fans can see him) justifies the means but I was always impressed with JPJr. as a driver and by how pleasant and humble he was in person. I know there are lots of drivers and team owners who would agree. I'm very sad to read of his death.