Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

View Poll Results: Best Le Mans era of the last 25 years
Pre-1980: Older racing 6 10.53%
1980-1984: Beginnings of Group C etc. 1 1.75%
1985-1989: Group C domination 34 59.65%
1990-1994: End of Group C, start of GT1/LMP's 0 0%
1995-1999: GT1/LMP/GTP era 11 19.30%
2000-2005: Current day LMP1/LMP2/GT1/GT2 5 8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 May 2005, 13:06 (Ref:1309848)   #1
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Best Le Mans era of the past 25 years

Sportscar racing changes a lot, it's seen a lot of different types of car and class, so I just wondered what everyone thought was best - from types of car, the sights, the sounds, and the drivers and quality of the racing too - basically whatever it takes to make a great event at Le Mans every year!

I have only seen the type of racing that's come around in the past 7 or 8 years or so, therefore I'd like to know what everyone else thinks...

I know you can't exactly compare, for example, a Porsche 962 with a Lister Storm LMP - but it's the event and spectacle as a whole that I'm looking at here, if you get my drift!

If this poll works as I'm hoping it does (first time I've tried one!) then I've kinda generally tried to narrow it down to the last quarter of a century or thereabouts.
Old 25 May 2005, 13:16 (Ref:1309859)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Im in the same situation as yourself Martyn, from what Ive seen and read though I would think that we are at the moment in the "golden era" of sportscar racing if you will. That said I understand that the Group C era was also a fantastic time for sportscar racing.
Old 25 May 2005, 13:43 (Ref:1309879)   #3
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given that I'm too young to remember much at LM pre about 1974, I'd have to go for the later Group C era, from about 84-90. Increasing variety of cars, esp in C2, and works involvement. Also lots of good drivers, F1 midfielders if not the real topliners, F2/F3 comingmen, many US and Japanese racers plus the usual amateurs. The grids were always well filled, with usually reserves. And, best of all, 'proper racing cars', ie no 911 variants or the like !
Old 25 May 2005, 14:39 (Ref:1309921)   #4
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I voted for 1985 - 89 group C era, although to be honest I would think the real golden years were the '60's when sportscars were more important as F1 and with cars like the Ferrari P4, GT40's and Porsche 917 they clearly had the most fantastic cars aver built.

However this was before my time and in the years I have been going then the late '80's were the best especially the Jaguar wins which gave by far the best atmoshere at LeMans I have ever experienced.

I think another golden era is just approaching with the rise of GT1 and I'm hoping a resurgence on LMP1 with the new rules the next few years should be great.

Also the quality of racing in LMES and especially ALMS and the coverage on Motors TV has proved that endurance racing can make great TV. This should help bring the money back in - providing the rules are stabilised and controlled.
Old 25 May 2005, 14:41 (Ref:1309926)   #5
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Golden years are for me 1955/1969 (the great fights), the climax beeing 1966 (the biggest attendance ever : 350 000 people, if I remember well).

But we'll know if we're living a great era later : "remember the ol' good Audis, when Pescarolo got the trophy ? Yeepee !"
Old 25 May 2005, 14:58 (Ref:1309943)   #6
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Late 80s - anyone could buy a 962 and have a stab at winning, but the sentimental faves were the Jags...and I loved the Group C2 cars for no readily sensible reason.
Old 25 May 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1309945)   #7
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, in each poll option I did a space of 5 years or so, with a maximum of ten poll options I couldn't go too far back, and if I'd included all ten then with a poll like this the results may be too thinly spread. Likewise if I'd done spaces of 10 years, then that's kind of missing the point, for example 1992 at Le Mans was extremely different from 1998, but they'd be covered together...

So sorry for not including anything pre'80 because it seems people are fond of that too, but I wanted it to be a sort of "close-knit" kinda thing so I chose the last quarter of a century instead. It is afterall first time I've tried a poll, so wanted it to be a guddun!

I think we are entering a great period, provided something doesn't explode or implode and we end up with costs spiralling and entries getting thinner. I think particularly at Le Mans this year, with the latest Audi and Porsche LMP's not on the grid to destroy any opposition, we are in for such an open race, in all 4 classes. I just wish I could be at La Sarthe this year
Old 25 May 2005, 15:51 (Ref:1309989)   #8
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
84-91. Jags
Old 25 May 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1310044)   #9
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its got to be the mid to late 80s Group C era.

GT1 in the mid to late 90s had the potential to be great but was screwed up by homologation rules.

I do belive we are approaching another golden era, potentially better than Group C, simply because the ACO have a tight grip on their own regs, and with the LMES, a series which they can nurture and develop to suit sportscar racings needs, not be used by the FIA as some kind of feeder series for F1.
Old 25 May 2005, 23:41 (Ref:1310312)   #10
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
This was a tough question. I voted for Group C, but I like the contemporary era too with the open cars and also the GT's. I liked the GT1 era too, because the cars were sensational and a good replacement for Group C. But then I liked the earlier eras too, which I only saw in person at Daytona and Sebring of the Fords, Ferraris, and Porsches, as well as the mix of interesting GT cars such as Abarth, MG, Triumph, etc. All of it should be enjoyed! Wish I could time travel and see a D Type or even further back to see the early Ferraris, and the Bugattis before that, and the Bentleys before that.

robert.

one can't have it all?
Old 26 May 2005, 09:01 (Ref:1310504)   #11
Rhino
Racer

Rhino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Late 80's. Also because it was the last of the unrestricted track. No Dunlop chicane, No chicanes,on the mulsanne, closer to the track with no debris fencing. Cars whooshing by at 240mph. Might have to lie down for a while.
Old 26 May 2005, 09:23 (Ref:1310519)   #12
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Early Grp C era 83-89, I was looking at an old autosport from 84 this morning and the variety of cars and drivers beats anything we have seen since. This includes the hyped late 90's when then cars may have been as good but by then the track had been changed, and not for the better. The late 90's also brought big scale corporate hype to Le Mans, IMHO not a welcome change.

I feel very lucky to have been there then and wish I could have been there for the earlier years, late 60's and early 70's. Today the race is still the greatest on earth, however that says as much about the decline of all motorsport as it does about Le Mans.
Old 26 May 2005, 09:47 (Ref:1310539)   #13
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Voted 85-89.

If you were there, you will understand why.......

These years also signalled the end of an era, not just in terms of the cars. The introdution of chicanes on the Mulsanne Straight the following year changed the character of the race forever. We will never see the likes of it again.
Old 26 May 2005, 10:50 (Ref:1310588)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The end of the '80s and the end of the '90s. I can't chose. However I'll let Jaguar influence me...
Old 26 May 2005, 11:28 (Ref:1310605)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good thread and poll

I was sorely tempted to vote for the GT1s and I so loved those cars - but it just has to be Group C for me. I was looking back earlier today at some pics of mine from the late 80's of the 962s and Jags thinking how I wished I was going to be watching them at Le Mans in 3 weeks time - awesome machines.......
Old 26 May 2005, 13:15 (Ref:1310690)   #16
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i only "covered" LeMans since 95 . and best period IMHO was the late 90's GT1 .... but i love the current day LMP1/LMP2/GT1/GT2 .. and i'm sure i would have loved the Group C era too ..

Ciao Marco
Old 26 May 2005, 14:16 (Ref:1310727)   #17
almzkid
Rookie

almzkid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"golden era" of sportscar racing if you will

I love sportscar racing as much or more as the next guy and I always will. But to call this era anything close to the "golden era" is sacrilige. There are all of TWO (PANOZ AND VETTE) manufacturer supported entries spread across 4 classes of racing.

And NONE in either of the prototype classes...kind of depressing.

To compare that to the glory Group C days of Porsche, Lancia, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Jaguar, Mercedes etc... is nothing short of wrong.

The Group C days will rank as the all-time greatest in my opinion. Then the GT1 era following closely behind...only because it was so short lived.
Old 26 May 2005, 17:46 (Ref:1310892)   #18
Andy Zarse
Rookie

Andy Zarse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon you haven't quite got the dates right for the poll. The later Jags, in 1990 and 1991 were awsome, as were the Mercs, Porkers, Pugs esp in 92 and as for THAT MAZDA.... well. They should all be included as a "Group C era" in the poll. I mean, why was 1991 worse than say 1987? It was all great and I'm lucky to have seen it. The modren stuff does not look very impressive at Le Mans, but having seen it at Silverstone last year and Sebring this year (did I mention I went to Sebring?) you have to say it is the fault of the ACO for ruinning the track and the race as a spectacle. Anyway, in the final analysis, all eras are golden ages if you ask me, even the crap years.
Old 26 May 2005, 18:07 (Ref:1310905)   #19
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Zarse
Anyway, in the final analysis, all eras are golden ages if you ask me, even the crap years.
Golden crap if you like

Does that apply to the current DP era at Daytona?
Old 26 May 2005, 18:11 (Ref:1310906)   #20
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know, I know, I am not old enough but the magic of the late 60s-early 70s is still with me.... Porsche vs Ferrari vs Ford!!!!
Old 26 May 2005, 19:49 (Ref:1310999)   #21
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I liked the group C era. But I prefer talking about great millesimes :
1967 Ford vs Ferrari
1973 Matra vs Ferrari
1977, 1978 Porsche vs Renault
1984, 1985 Joest vs Lancia
1987/88/89/90 Porsche vs Jaguar vs Sauber-Mercedes vs Nissan...
1992/93 Peugeot vs Toyota
1998/99 BMW vs Toyota vs Mercedes vs Porsche
2005 ???
Old 26 May 2005, 19:51 (Ref:1311006)   #22
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Euuhh...1992 wasn't a millesime : only 28 cars on the grid.
Old 27 May 2005, 07:53 (Ref:1311351)   #23
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted for 85-89, as the Group C era was fantastic although i did'nt get to Le Mans til the end of this era.
But one of the races that does stick in my mind is 1995, first year of the Mclaren F1 cold, wet and JJ Lehto doing those stunning laps during the night in the Ueno Clinic car - awesome.
Old 27 May 2005, 11:07 (Ref:1311473)   #24
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM
Euuhh...1992 wasn't a millesime : only 28 cars on the grid.
Yes, but it was a fine race.

85 Joest vs Lancia was crap IMO. A real economy run
Old 27 May 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1311539)   #25
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought 85 was great, fantastic entry, C1 & C2. Lots of variety in makes, and are we still sure how Joest outran everything else ? RLR looked to be in with a good shout too until they had some probelm IIRC. Best of all the works cars were nowhere. Other good points were the EMKA leading, return of the Jags, Toyotas arrival, the flying Sauber etc etc etc.