Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 29 Jul 2020, 14:46 (Ref:3991399)   #2301
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
We have been talking lately how quickly the year appears to be flashing past. We've not been able to do anything since the end of March, and now we find ourselves almost in August, but I think that is the problem. As we're not able to do anything (much) there's nothing to remember, nothing to make one weekend different to any other weekend, so the year is just whizzing past us without anyone noticing. Hopefully we will get a handle on things, and learn ways to return back to something similar to what we used to know as normal without increasing the risk of catching, or carrying & infecting someone else with this virus. I think that we are going to be dealing with the thing for quite some time yet, but hopefully we will sdo so in a successful way and come out of the other side unscathed. How does the phrase go, 'One day we will all look back at this and laugh'?
Old 29 Jul 2020, 15:00 (Ref:3991403)   #2302
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The theory is that years go by faster because each one becomes a lower percentage of your lifetime as you get older.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 29 Jul 2020, 15:09 (Ref:3991407)   #2303
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
We have been talking lately how quickly the year appears to be flashing past. We've not been able to do anything since the end of March, and now we find ourselves almost in August, but I think that is the problem. As we're not able to do anything (much) there's nothing to remember, nothing to make one weekend different to any other weekend, so the year is just whizzing past us without anyone noticing. Hopefully we will get a handle on things, and learn ways to return back to something similar to what we used to know as normal without increasing the risk of catching, or carrying & infecting someone else with this virus. I think that we are going to be dealing with the thing for quite some time yet, but hopefully we will sdo so in a successful way and come out of the other side unscathed. How does the phrase go, 'One day we will all look back at this and laugh'?
You're certainly right - it's going by very quickly. Things we did in January/February still seem quite fresh in the mind, then there's this great big vacuum of around two months about which I can't really remember anything very much.

We were on holiday last week, just a week on the Cote d'Opale, but that at least seemed very normal, with everywhere very busy, especially places like Le Touquet & Berck. The British, Dutch & Belgian tourists were back although perhaps not in their usual numbers yet.
Old 29 Jul 2020, 15:28 (Ref:3991412)   #2304
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
The theory is that years go by faster because each one becomes a lower percentage of your lifetime as you get older.
Sorry, are you sure of that? Well, dont waste you remaining time to get an answer…
Old 29 Jul 2020, 15:48 (Ref:3991415)   #2305
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Oh, I know that one Max, in fact I believe that I may have posted that very theory on his quite some time ago (although it seems just like yesterday) but we (a group of various ages, not just old duffers like me) were discussing this year since the end of March having flown by and we concluded that this was because we have nothing to mark the individual weeks with as we haven't done anything...
Old 29 Jul 2020, 16:28 (Ref:3991423)   #2306
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
When were you notified Iain? I just saw that Belgium is suffering a spike.
The cancellation was announced yesterday evening.

We're going to have to live with uncertainty and the inability to make concrete plans for some time to come.
Old 29 Jul 2020, 16:29 (Ref:3991424)   #2307
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm, not good.
Old 29 Jul 2020, 17:47 (Ref:3991458)   #2308
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
The cancellation was announced yesterday evening.

We're going to have to live with uncertainty and the inability to make concrete plans for some time to come.
Interesting. The kart track at Genk in Belgium have just posted that they are definitely going ahead.

Old 29 Jul 2020, 19:09 (Ref:3991487)   #2309
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
That piqued my interest.

Found this.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/leif.snellman/zana.htm

Interesting, on several fronts. Any similarity to the documentary?
Whilst at Cambridge Motorsport, we had the transport side as well for race and classic cars. We were actually contracted by a German "firm" to transport six of Hitler personnel transport cars. Merc limos etc. All done under great security as the six cars had a then valuation of circa£27.5million.even had armed guards in convoy. Interesting transport opportunity. 😃
Old 29 Jul 2020, 23:21 (Ref:3991525)   #2310
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:

I thought it was only me that thinks like that ! What happens to me is we get Christmas over with and the next minute it's December. !!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 31 Jul 2020, 18:55 (Ref:3991939)   #2311
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I thought it was only me that thinks like that ! What happens to me is we get Christmas over with and the next minute it's December. !!!

The other thing I'm convinced of is that gravity gets stronger every year.....at least everything I try to pick up these days seems heavier than it used to, and its a lot harder to myself up when I've been lying under a car.....
Old 31 Jul 2020, 19:57 (Ref:3991950)   #2312
midgetman
Veteran

Ooh that's right I hadn't twigged. Gravity also pulls more of one's skin from the back of one's body making one *look* overweight. When one isn't of course

Bloody gravity.

Old 5 Aug 2020, 09:23 (Ref:3993077)   #2313
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Just been told ( again) my FE is scrap . . . . what a scam that is.

nigh on brand new belts out of date at the end of the year as well. Only been used about 10 hours.

On a brighter note I have actually entered a race!
Old 5 Aug 2020, 10:29 (Ref:3993092)   #2314
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My FE ?
Old 5 Aug 2020, 10:49 (Ref:3993098)   #2315
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
My FE ?

Fire extinguisher?
Old 5 Aug 2020, 11:19 (Ref:3993102)   #2316
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a Lifeline dealer lives 4 doors down from me if you want a quote, Joe. Also does belts.
Old 5 Aug 2020, 13:09 (Ref:3993129)   #2317
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Just been told ( again) my FE is scrap . . . . what a scam that is.

nigh on brand new belts out of date at the end of the year as well. Only been used about 10 hours.

On a brighter note I have actually entered a race!
Why is it scrap? It can be serviced by any qualified FE engineer and does not have to be serviced by Lifeline or a lifeline agent. Lifeline insist it is replaced after 10 years, but that is purely a commercial decision by them and not an MUK requirement. I have the email from MUK to prove it and have posted that on here before.
It may be scrap because it is damaged but is not necessarily scrap if it is over 10 years old or if it has not been serviced in the last 2 years.
Old 5 Aug 2020, 13:21 (Ref:3993132)   #2318
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What have you entered Zef? Allstars?
Old 5 Aug 2020, 13:43 (Ref:3993138)   #2319
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Sears Trophy in the Cortina. not doing Thruxton, Lydden Hill . . . . just need to get the juices flowing again . . . . was thinking about Spa, but major house renovations going on are also a consideration.

If I enjoy it I'll be considering options for next year, if not I'll sell it.

Andy, I agree . . . . we have FEV locally, again, they'll only service their own FE's . . . . it was new in 2013 but hasn't been serviced since MAy 2016 . . . . perfect condition, but according to lifeline its scrap. I have a few old FE's in the workshop probably 20 years old, still on full pressure.
Old 5 Aug 2020, 14:50 (Ref:3993153)   #2320
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes and nearly 50 years racing I think I’ve seen two cars on fire . Well three as mine caught fire at Brands last week .That did not count as Gordon was there to blow the fire out .
Old 5 Aug 2020, 14:56 (Ref:3993154)   #2321
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Yes and nearly 50 years racing I think I’ve seen two cars on fire . Well three as mine caught fire at Brands last week .That did not count as Gordon was there to blow the fire out .
I remember seeing Brian Poole's (I think) Marcos go up in flames at Snett a few years ago. With a wooden chassis & fibreglass body there wasn't much left, but that didn't deter John Woolfe from touring the spectator areas in his Cobra, collecting money towards the repairs. Suspect it would have taken a lot more than that...
Old 5 Aug 2020, 14:57 (Ref:3993155)   #2322
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post

Andy, I agree . . . . we have FEV locally, again, they'll only service their own FE's . . . . it was new in 2013 but hasn't been serviced since MAy 2016 . . . . perfect condition, but according to lifeline its scrap. I have a few old FE's in the workshop probably 20 years old, still on full pressure.
I would find an independent FE engineer locally and get them to do it. It will save buying a new one.
Old 5 Aug 2020, 16:36 (Ref:3993172)   #2323
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Please morning how does your neighbor manage for the belts? Impossible in my opinion specially with the new holograms.
Old 5 Aug 2020, 18:25 (Ref:3993184)   #2324
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Please morning how does your neighbor manage for the belts? Impossible in my opinion specially with the new holograms.

He started his own raceparts business from his home about 5 years ago and has grown. He is a rally man but seats, belts, helmets extinquishers etc. are the same for rallying or racing. He became a Lifeline qualified service technician about 18 months ago. Everything he sells are genuine new items from reputable suppliers and have genuine FIA labels/holograms etc.
Old 5 Aug 2020, 18:33 (Ref:3993187)   #2325
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
The other thing I'm convinced of is that gravity gets stronger every year.....at least everything I try to pick up these days seems heavier than it used to, and its a lot harder to myself up when I've been lying under a car.....
What's worse Lanky is when you crawl under said car and forget the spanner. Even more worse is when you forget what you were going to do under there and still forget tools...
On another note we have found the problem with the march 79B. Fuel pipe from regulator to carbs collapsed. We should of picked this up earlier but we had done umpteen fuel flow and pressure checks.
I can hear Mike tutting now.
Closed Thread