Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 29 Apr 2011, 16:48 (Ref:2871816)   #46
ossyhodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
ossyhodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Early Formula chassis no's.

Hi Allen,

This was one of the problems with the early single seaters.

The B7 was totally built in house by Derek B & Paul O in 67 as you probobly know.

Arch Motors were then entrusted for the subsequent B9s & 14s for 68.
The problems were twofold.
The frame nos didn't always tie up with the chassis nos & secondly there were even gaps with the nos of some of the 68 chassis nos.

Things really didn't get sorted out until Dave Wilson became production manager on the behest of John Bridges and even then there were some anomolies.
Things really started to settle down until 1970 when both am nos / chassis nos matched.
Old 29 Apr 2011, 18:04 (Ref:2871837)   #47
ossyhodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
Early Formula chassis no's.

Just to add to the above.

All cars sold in 68 whether it was a B9,10, or 14 were purely identical space frame chassis with aluminium fuel tanks & a G.R.P. Drivers seat.
Except the B9B.
To further confuse the issue the 3 14s built were given B9 No,s.
To lessen the confusion in 1969 Dave Wilson revamped the chassis no,s
Designating them F3,FB or FC.

One such anomoly in 1969 showed that a friend of mine ...Barrie Smith ( who also purchased & raced a B8 from the previous year)
decided to test the water in F3.
Rather than purchase a new car he bought one of the Red Rose B9s second hand from the 68 season.
Unfortunatly the car was written off on the first lap of the B.G.P. support race at Silverstone.
Apparently the build records show that he purchased a B15 for the 69 season.
This was totally untrue, although he told me he had enquired about one.

Paul Owens was adamant that Barrie had a B15 for 69.

Even factory build records can give false information.
Old 29 Apr 2011, 18:12 (Ref:2871839)   #48
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ossyhodge View Post

Even factory build records can give false information.
Indeed so. I was greatly confused by an entry in the B8 records for a car supposedly going to South Africa in 1968. Eventually I concluded it was simply a mistake.
Old 20 May 2011, 19:27 (Ref:2883232)   #49
ossyhodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
B9/14

Please find attached 1 or 2 rare original photos of Dick Smothers B14 at Laguna Seca in 1968,sentto me by a friend in the U.S.

Also some pictures of a B9 # F3.5.68 undergoing restoration on the West Coast.

I might be sticking my neck out but it certainly looks like the 1off B9B as this # no is definately one of the original "Red Rose" cars used in F3 back in the 1968 season. ( Noting the semi stressed centre section & reconditioned fuel cell )

Apparently it found its way into the U.S. via Canada, the present owner not having much of an idea what it was.
Attached Thumbnails
Dick Smothers B14. Laguna Seca 68_edited.jpg   B14.Cockpit Detail_edited.jpg   B14 Engine Cover.jpg  

B9.Plate.JPG   B9.c_edited.JPG   B9.d_edited.jpg  

Old 23 May 2011, 21:50 (Ref:2884782)   #50
ossyhodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
B9 in Japan

Here are some photos of a B9 F3 car currently up to last year being raced in Japan that were sent by a Japanese friend.

Unfortunately the # No is unknown at this time.
Attached Thumbnails
B9.F3. MONTEGI Jp.2010. 1_edited.JPG   B9.F3.Jp 2_edited.JPG   B9.F3 Jp.3.JPG  

B9.F3. Jp .4.JPG  
Old 24 Jul 2011, 20:09 (Ref:2930520)   #51
ossyhodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
THE "B" type letters in Chevron.

I am just looking for an answer to a simple QUESTION.

If the "B" suffix used in the type numbers for all Chevrons stood for "B"ridges & not Bennett,where did the previous numbers come from prior to John Bridges becoming a Director of Chevron Racing Cars at the end of 1967/68?
i.e. B1,B2,(Clubmans Cars) B3,B4,B5,B6(G.T. Cars) & B7.(F3 Car).
Indeed David Bridges never refered to the B5 as a B5, only as a Chevron G.T. Car with my engine & gearbox in it.
To slightly confuse the issue even more find attached one of my photo's of John Bridges semi works "Red Rose" F3 Team for the 1968 season,taken at his garage in Chester.
Left. The late Chris Williams. Right. Alan Rollinson. Forefront.Brian Redman,
John Bridges stood at the back.
You will notice a sign at the front of the Car simply saying " The New F3 Chevron " at this stage no mention of a "B"9.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2930527)   #52
ossyhodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
1968 "Red Rose" F3 Team.

Attached photo to above.
Attached Thumbnails
The Red Rose F3   Team for 1968.     note. New F3 Chevron, not a B9 at this stage..jpg  
Old 28 Jul 2011, 15:44 (Ref:2932147)   #53
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I am just looking for an answer to a simple QUESTION.

If the "B" suffix used in the type numbers for all Chevrons stood for "B"ridges & not Bennett,where did the previous numbers come from prior to John Bridges becoming a Director of Chevron Racing Cars at the end of 1967/68?
The numbers were allocated at the end of 1968. There was an article in Motoring News explaining how the Chevron GTs were now being retrospectively called the B3, B4, B5, B6 and B8. I don't have the date to hand but can follow up later with it. Late November from memory.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 19:42 (Ref:2932243)   #54
ossyhodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
THE "B" type letters in Chevron.

Thanks for the imfo Allen,thats 0ne puzzle i can finally put to rest.
Old 20 Mar 2012, 00:36 (Ref:3045041)   #55
bluesbrother30
Rookie

United States
West Sacramento, California
bluesbrother30 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where are they now??

Wanted to throw this out to another group and see what sticks. I have been researching a handful of B-9 Chevrons that made it to the US. There are three cars that I have come up short on......first is a B-9 that was purchased via Fred Opert and went to the father son team of Warren Flickinger. The son drove the car for about one year, sold the B-9, I believe the end of 1969, and moved to a Winkelmann. The father has passed and the son's last address was a homeless shelter in Denver Colorado. I believe the car was yellow, where did it go?? Second, Thomas Gelb drove a B-9 turned B-14, in 1970. He went upside down in the car and took up fishing. The car I believe was repaired by Opert. The car was light blue, chassis FB-68-8, where did it go??. Last but not least is the car driven by Canadian Wayne Kelly. Car was purple and white, raced by him in 1969. Anyone have knowledge of that car?? Any tips would be appreciated

ms
Old 3 Oct 2022, 21:06 (Ref:4128594)   #56
titan6
Rookie

United States
California
titan6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Here are some photos of a B9 F3 car currently up to last year being raced in Japan that were sent by a Japanese friend.

Unfortunately the # No is unknown at this time.
It should be noted this car(yellow, Japanese car) shows the rear suspension upgrade. It shows the rear top link position that was later added(around mid 68 season) it may also have sheet metal strengthening of the chassis, an update that was added to the F3 B9s that lead to Tim Schenken dominating the later part of the season. The top link was moved further inside, lowering the roll center, adding rear grip. Or at least that's how it was explained to me.
In the early B9, that top link was mounted on the same bolt as rear dampener. This inner mounting of the top link was standard on the B10, maybe where the idea started.
This set up continued on the B15 & 17 and I imagine the increased rear grip with the narrower F3 tires is why they were noted as very understeering cars.