Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Dec 2021, 09:54 (Ref:4089768)   #26
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
Just to begin with as I don't want to write an essay and then have you ask me more questions.
Why not, it is called a discussion

Quote:
- Ford v Holden rivalry is an antiquated rivalry and is perpetuated by an outdated notion.
A point I have made many times, SC as it stands is an anachronism and an entity that should stay in the past. They need to move on and create a series that is relevant to today but we had had that discussion a few times with no answers.

Quote:
Despite some wild and exotic cars in their various histories, Touring car racing fundamentally for white bread cars. What gets lost down here is that Ford Falcons and Holden Commodores are white bread cars that were beefed up for racing.
As they always were from day one, nothing new there. What does "down here" mean?

Quote:
What's not recognised, is that when touring car racing gets a spike of popularity, it's when it's comparable to what's on the public roads of the prospective country. Over here, we're still stuck in the 80s, early 90s, over a notion of professionalism and supposed superiority.
Do you want to have another go at that paragraph so it makes some sort of sense. "Over here" means what?

Quote:
Supercars is a closed shop for vested interests at all costs, where the ATCC should be egalitarian.
As is F1, the lesson was learned and copied well.
Old 16 Dec 2021, 02:59 (Ref:4089989)   #27
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wouldn't you love to see peckstar vrs 2 litre Touring Car Star in UFC???
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 16 Dec 2021, 03:49 (Ref:4089991)   #28
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
Wouldn't you love to see peckstar vrs 2 litre Touring Car Star in UFC???
Hmmm - pecky disappears from the forum, not heard from again - short time later 2ltcs appears, backs a different horse but takes a similar approach to other posters as pecky - spooky huh? Maybe pecky got hit by lightning or something and came back under a different guise. Or maybe not.
Old 16 Dec 2021, 07:35 (Ref:4089998)   #29
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Hmmm - pecky disappears from the forum, not heard from again - short time later 2ltcs appears, backs a different horse but takes a similar approach to other posters as pecky - spooky huh? Maybe pecky got hit by lightning or something and came back under a different guise. Or maybe not.
You're only saying what everyone is thinking.
Old 16 Dec 2021, 08:00 (Ref:4090003)   #30
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
You're only saying what everyone is thinking.

Good that I’m maintaining my bad habit of stating the obvious!
Old 16 Dec 2021, 08:28 (Ref:4090010)   #31
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TCR Corolla has broken cover in Argentina.

Surely ARG needs to do all it can to get one here?
Old 16 Dec 2021, 08:55 (Ref:4090013)   #32
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Nah, Pecky made a lot more sense than 2little and could sometimes argue the post rather than the poster.
Old 16 Dec 2021, 09:32 (Ref:4090023)   #33
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
TCR Corolla has broken cover in Argentina.

Surely ARG needs to do all it can to get one here?
You beat me. Given the sales of the GR Yaris and the GR Corolla coming, you would say There Has Never Been a Better time.

What is Rick Bates doing?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Old 17 Dec 2021, 04:37 (Ref:4090213)   #34
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
You beat me. Given the sales of the GR Yaris and the GR Corolla coming, you would say There Has Never Been a Better time.

What is Rick Bates doing?

Throw young Zac Bates in there.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 17 Dec 2021, 05:26 (Ref:4090216)   #35
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama View Post
Throw young Zac Bates in there.
Rick is running the 86 program right?

He would have to be a shoo in for TCR then.

Old 17 Dec 2021, 06:31 (Ref:4090222)   #36
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Rick is running the 86 program right?

He would have to be a shoo in for TCR then.

I think Zac has already been running in the 86 events as well.

https://the-riotact.com/at-just-16-c...t-debut/442560
Old 19 Dec 2021, 02:00 (Ref:4090527)   #37
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Why not, it is called a discussion
Not that you would've noticed. but crmalcolm has this habit of quoting me supposedly with the intent of furthering the discussion. But he never seems to get the point, or want to, which leads to asking more questions, and that's draining. So I didn't express my full opinion knowing he would ask more questions.

Quote:
A point I have made many times, SC as it stands is an anachronism and an entity that should stay in the past. They need to move on and create a series that is relevant to today but we had had that discussion a few times with no answers.
Supercars is an anachronism, this is an important point for those who want it to be the designated top tier class in Australia. ANachronisms are fine for non-professional national level motorsport, but not for the designated top tier.

The discussion may've occurred a few times, and there have been answers. It's 2-litre cars (or thereabouts). It;s just some don't want to acknowledge this for whatever reason. It's not even my opinion, it's just the way racing is.

Quote:
As they always were from day one, nothing new there. What does "down here" mean?
Over here means Australia.

I'm confused what you mean by "day one". When was day one?

Quote:
Do you want to have another go at that paragraph so it makes some sort of sense. "Over here" means what?
Yes, I'd like another go.

The popularity of touring cars, in whatever country/region the series is based, over and above those already interested in racing, comes down to how much the series correlated with what's driven on public roads. This so far mostly means 2-litre cars, but has never been exclusive to 2-litre cars.

Quote:
As is F1, the lesson was learned and copied well.
It doesn't work for the benefit of the whole of motor racing, similar to F1. The day that structure is smashed, the better it'll be for motor racing as a whole.

Last edited by 2 litre Touring Car Star; 19 Dec 2021 at 02:09.
Old 19 Dec 2021, 03:27 (Ref:4090535)   #38
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So when electric powered cars are the dominant style of road car you will welcome them with open arms and declare two litre cars dead as a race category? That day is going to be a hard swallow for a lot of people.

As a non believer why do you frequent a forum for a racing class you clearly hate and despise, what exactly do you think you add to this forum and what made you start to contribute. No one here is going to change because your POV is not the same as what drives this forum so I guess it is purely a sniping, criticism thing that trolls generally have.

Last edited by Casper; 19 Dec 2021 at 03:34.
Old 19 Dec 2021, 03:55 (Ref:4090537)   #39
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This forum is just a means to get off on arguing with people, and hopefully being right.

Some people haven't come to that realisation that.
Old 19 Dec 2021, 05:09 (Ref:4090542)   #40
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
So when electric powered cars are the dominant style of road car you will welcome them with open arms
I would acknowledge their merit as the designated top class.

Quote:
and declare two litre cars dead as a race category?
As an outright designated top tier class, that time will come.

I wouldn't declare it as 2-litre cars are the end of ICE engines and have a long use-by date.

Quote:
That day is going to be a hard swallow for a lot of people.
It might be if the atcc class goes from 5 litre to electric. But if that transition ever occurs, domestic motorsport here would be driven into the ground so deep that the cries won't have an impact.

Quote:
As a non believer why do you frequent a forum for a racing class you clearly hate and despise,
It's not about whether or not I like a particular class, it's about Australian motorsport as a whole. The attachment to the 5litre V8 ideology/myth is BS and has been to the detriment to Aus motorsport as a whole.

Quote:
what exactly do you think you add to this forum and what made you start to contribute.
Well, as far as what satisfaction others get, I don't know.

There's no question I point to a blindspot in Aus motorsport discussion. It's not just here, but elsewhere on the web and Aus motorsport as a whole. It's been a weakness of Aus motorsport for at least 2 decades now. ?

?
Quote:
No one here is going to change because your POV is not the same as what drives this forum so I guess it is purely a sniping, criticism thing that trolls generally have.
People might not change their views because of me, but it's to their weakness that they don't have a broader view of racing.

5 litre V8s are outdated and don't belong as a top touring car class. They're for specialty racing (GT or non-professional national class), which is what Supercars kind of are, and will be in 2023.
Old 19 Dec 2021, 07:08 (Ref:4090546)   #41
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For memory, when I watched American Beauty, wasn't the guy who was most anti-gay actually the elephant in the closet? Funny that.....
Old 19 Dec 2021, 07:14 (Ref:4090547)   #42
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
I wouldn't declare it as 2-litre cars are the end of ICE engines and have a long use-by date.
Not in Europe, their life span is very limited and we drive what others make so not here either. Toyota have in recent days declared the ICE engine dead.
Old 19 Dec 2021, 07:47 (Ref:4090550)   #43
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
You are forecasting that, and you have done a lot.

The hybrid/electric revolution is still some time away. A series doesn't have to be on the money to the year as far as what cars manufacturers are selling (Because that's still ahead of time) and what consumers are buying, but lag that's within a range.

2 litre cars could still be designated as a top tier touring car class, even in Europe when supposedly hybrid and/or electric cars become the norm or be included in a multi car class.

This is not the case with 5litre V8s, which exists nowadays primarily because of vested interests, it's a known quantity, and domestic motor racing down here is a smaller culture. They are otherwise out of place.
Old 19 Dec 2021, 10:17 (Ref:4090559)   #44
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
This is not the case with 5litre V8s, which exists nowadays primarily because of vested interests, it's a known quantity, and domestic motor racing down here is a smaller culture. They are otherwise out of place.
Which of the series listed below are larger domestic sports in terms of event attendance (as % of population) and media coverage in their respective countries?

BTCC or Supercars

DTM or Supercars

SuperGT or Supercars

Turismo Carretera or Supercars
Old 19 Dec 2021, 10:25 (Ref:4090560)   #45
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The popularity of touring cars, in whatever country/region the series is based, over and above those already interested in racing, comes down to how much the series correlated with what's driven on public roads. This so far mostly means 2-litre cars, but has never been exclusive to 2-litre cars.
The engine is probably the least relevant part of the car when it comes to comparisons between the racing version of a model (in terms of touring car) and the road version.

When the majority of the public watch BTCC - they know that the 1.2L engine on the road model (the only size petrol engine available) is different to the one in Plato's Astra. It is true that a V8 would seem too far removed for a UK-based series, but the model driven is more of interest to the general viewer compared to the engine.
For 2022, the move to hybrid (for BTCC) is also a use of technology that is far removed from the road-going hybrid car sales. Again, the public don't care how similar it is - just that hybrid is the direction road-going car sales are moving in, and they see the same move in BTCC as important. This is evidenced in comments from many team members on the grid who say that sponsors are looking to associate with a hybrid technology racing series.

In terms of the engine in a TCR Australia car - the choice of 1.75-2 litre has nothing to do with what is being used on Australian roads. The adoption of TCR comes with the standard engine size adopted for TCR in 2014.

In terms of what is relevant for the Australian racing scene - it depends on whether the viewers and sponsors are after road-relevance. If TCR is to remain, and Aus will follow the European-led TCR lead, then when TCR changes engine format, TCR Australia will follow.
Old 20 Dec 2021, 08:52 (Ref:4090638)   #46
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A series that was a reflection of what was happening on Australian roads swapped out the turbo-diesels for V8's......
Old 20 Dec 2021, 09:35 (Ref:4090642)   #47
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
A series that was a reflection of what was happening on Australian roads swapped out the turbo-diesels for V8's......

So true though.
Old 20 Dec 2021, 09:36 (Ref:4090643)   #48
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Which of the series listed below are larger domestic sports in terms of event attendance (as % of population) and media coverage in their respective countries?

BTCC or Supercars

DTM or Supercars

SuperGT or Supercars

Turismo Carretera or Supercars
Your question is so nuanced it doesn't matter what the answer is. You don't even seem to consider other factors involved.

Quote:
And it's still not a popular class.
Old 20 Dec 2021, 10:05 (Ref:4090645)   #49
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
The engine is probably the least relevant part of the car when it comes to comparisons between the racing version of a model (in terms of touring car) and the road version.

When the majority of the public watch BTCC - they know that the 1.2L engine on the road model (the only size petrol engine available) is different to the one in Plato's Astra.
The engine will always be relevant. It's the most important part. On another note, I think it's why F1 has lost its way in the last 30 years.

Quote:
It is true that a V8 would seem too far removed for a UK-based series, but the model driven is more of interest to the general viewer compared to the engine.
Yeah, and they're all small cars.

I stick with 2ltr cars because its the simplest class, and ticks more boxes for an appropriate Touring car class. But whether it's 2ltr na, 1.6ltr na, 1.4 or 1.2T or whatever, it's all in the same group.

Quote:
For 2022, the move to hybrid (for BTCC) is also a use of technology that is far removed from the road-going hybrid car sales. Again, the public don't care how similar it is -
I'm not sure this can be said definitely?

Quote:
just that hybrid is the direction road-going car sales are moving in, and they see the same move in BTCC as important. This is evidenced in comments from many team members on the grid who say that sponsors are looking to associate with a hybrid technology racing series.
That's fine, but it's not a big deal to be ahead of time in a motor racing context. It's ok to have a slight lag and allow more substantial knowledge guide the way.

Quote:
In terms of the engine in a TCR Australia car - the choice of 1.75-2 litre has nothing to do with what is being used on Australian roads. The adoption of TCR comes with the standard engine size adopted for TCR in 2014.

In terms of what is relevant for the Australian racing scene - it depends on whether the viewers and sponsors are after road-relevance. If TCR is to remain, and Aus will follow the European-led TCR lead, then when TCR changes engine format, TCR Australia will follow.
In Australia, it's different because we've been devoid of such a class for so long that anything will do despite whatever weaknesses.
Old 20 Dec 2021, 10:33 (Ref:4090659)   #50
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The engine will always be relevant. It's the most important part. On another note, I think it's why F1 has lost its way in the last 30 years.
If the engine is so relevant, how do you account for the fact that most BTCC cars have an engine that is not found in the road car, and is usually a different size to what is seen on the road?
Particularly when you have also claimed:

'The popularity of touring cars, in whatever country/region the series is based, over and above those already interested in racing, comes down to how much the series correlated with what's driven on public roads.'