Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jan 2023, 00:03 (Ref:4139447)   #401
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I would say it is the 2000 "Round the World in 80 Days" rally.

It is actually said by some sources to have been 18000 miles as opposed to the 1977 London to Sydney being 17,500 miles, and thus longer than the 1977 London to Sydney.

However I have also read that the organisers of the RTW80D Rally reduced their mileage claim to 100 miles less than the 1977 London - Sydney rally in terms of the Guinness Book of Records entry, in respect to the history and origin of the 1977 event. AFAIK the RTW was more run to time limits rather than the minimum time wins flat out race of the London Sydney.

The RTW rally was apparently officially on the FIA International Calendar.

The Round the World Rally was also for Classic Cars only. It was described at the launch as the only timed lap of the globe race ever held. Cars were airlifted only where there were no roads – from Beijing to Alaska, and out of New York to Marrakesh.

Ironically the outright winning car of the round the globe rally was a Hillman Hunter, the same type of car that won the initial 1968 London to Sydney Rally

Some photos and info on the Round the World Rally is here. These pics I think are only from the US section of the rally
https://www.chicagolandmgclub.com/photos/atwr/

If we are not including the RTW rally due to its classic car only status, the original 1968 London to Sydney rally was a shorter route of just under 'only' 17000 kilometres.(C10.500 miles).

That makes it longer than the Peking Paris rally which was 9,300 miles

(There have been several reincarnation runs of the London Sydney Rally since the 1968 and 1977 events)
Old 10 Jan 2023, 00:20 (Ref:4139449)   #402
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lets not forget the official question is "Griff's" question re the BTCC.... I only answered the longest race question because I am totally clueless of BTCC after 1983. I then had the AusTCC to follow
(Location checks out )
Old 10 Jan 2023, 00:29 (Ref:4139451)   #403
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
So is a rally a race? Surely races run on tracks that the FIA have licensed for racing, and the drivers need race licences.
I always understood the longest race to be the 1966 Marathon de la Route, at 8876 km done in 84 hours round the Nordschleife.
Incidentally won outright by an MG.
Old 10 Jan 2023, 01:42 (Ref:4139470)   #404
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
So is a rally a race? Surely races run on tracks that the FIA have licensed for racing, and the drivers need race licences.
I always understood the longest race to be the 1966 Marathon de la Route, at 8876 km done in 84 hours round the Nordschleife.
Incidentally won outright by an MG.
There is actually a thread on that race here at tenths. It along with other issues discusses whether this was a race or rally, as apparently the event replaced a rally. To me if it is on a circuit and they go round and round it is a race. Just sayin'....
Anyway the thread is here: https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58587

The links included to the late Frank de Jong's website no longer work, but his touringcarracing.net website has info http://touringcarracing.net/Races/19...g%2084hrs.html

Last edited by E.B; 10 Jan 2023 at 02:04.
Old 10 Jan 2023, 06:46 (Ref:4139505)   #405
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
This was going to be my guess. The Peking-Paris race of 1907 was 10,000 miles!

For S Griffin’s question, I remember one of them is Anthony Reid.

Edit - but that race is on Wikipedia so can’t be the answer!
1 down, 7 to go
Old 10 Jan 2023, 07:32 (Ref:4139518)   #406
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Mine’s BTCC related

Name the 8 drivers who first appeared in the NC TOCA Shootout or Tourist Trophy in the 90s, before subsequently appearing in the actual championship

Nigel Mansell - 1993 TOCA Shootout
Derek Warwick - 1993 TOCA Shootout
Anthony Reid - 1994 ToCA Shoot Out and 1994 RAC Tourist Trophy
Johnny Cecotto - 1994 RAC Tourist Trophy
Frank Biela - 1994 RAC Tourist Trophy
Yvan Muller - 1994 and 1997 RAC Tourist Trophy
Warren Hughes - 1996 RAC Tourist Trophy
Jan Brunstedt - 1996 RAC Tourist Trophy
Aaron Slight - 1997 RAC Tourist Trophy
Paula Cook - 1997 RAC Tourist Trophy
Old 10 Jan 2023, 09:14 (Ref:4139538)   #407
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
In the longest racing event question, not the longest event overall certainly, but the 1955 Redex round Australia Trial had a route of 10,500 miles thus placing it ahead of the Peking Paris race by 1200 miles.

The official Redex film of the 1955 event: https://youtu.be/feeICG4Q8L0
Old 10 Jan 2023, 14:53 (Ref:4139568)   #408
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I would say it is the 2000 "Round the World in 80 Days" rally.

It is actually said by some sources to have been 18000 miles as opposed to the 1977 London to Sydney being 17,500 miles, and thus longer than the 1977 London to Sydney.

However I have also read that the organisers of the RTW80D Rally reduced their mileage claim to 100 miles less than the 1977 London - Sydney rally in terms of the Guinness Book of Records entry, in respect to the history and origin of the 1977 event. AFAIK the RTW was more run to time limits rather than the minimum time wins flat out race of the London Sydney.
Oops! I hadn't heard about it.

I meant the 1978 Vuelta a la América del Sud, which had a length of 28.592 km (17,770 miles). Andrew Cowan led a Mercedes-Benz 1-2-3-4-5.

Fun fact: Carlos Acevedo and Miguel Ángel Moya claimed to be abducted by a powerful light...
Old 10 Jan 2023, 15:02 (Ref:4139572)   #409
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Oops! I hadn't heard about it.

I meant the 1978 Vuelta a la América del Sud, which had a length of 28.592 km (17,770 miles). Andrew Cowan led a Mercedes-Benz 1-2-3-4-5.

Fun fact: Carlos Acevedo and Miguel Ángel Moya claimed to be abducted by a powerful light...
What about the Great Auto Race of 1908? - The torturous New York to Paris Race route: NYC, Albany, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, Valdez Alaska, Japan, Vladivostok, Omsk, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Berlin and finally Paris. The Thomas Flyer Team covered three continents and over 22,000 miles in 169 days.

https://www.thegreatautorace.com/
Old 10 Jan 2023, 15:21 (Ref:4139577)   #410
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
What about the Great Auto Race of 1908? - The torturous New York to Paris Race route: NYC, Albany, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, Valdez Alaska, Japan, Vladivostok, Omsk, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Berlin and finally Paris. The Thomas Flyer Team covered three continents and over 22,000 miles in 169 days.

https://www.thegreatautorace.com/
Wow!
Old 10 Jan 2023, 16:34 (Ref:4139590)   #411
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Thanks EB, all very interesting and lots I didn't know.
Old 12 Jan 2023, 09:14 (Ref:4139829)   #412
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Mine’s BTCC related

Name the 8 drivers who first appeared in the NC TOCA Shootout or Tourist Trophy in the 90s, before subsequently appearing in the actual championship
I think this is the current 'official' question. Have you had the answer you are looking for yet?
Old 12 Jan 2023, 14:30 (Ref:4139878)   #413
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Nigel Mansell - 1993 TOCA Shootout
Derek Warwick - 1993 TOCA Shootout
Anthony Reid - 1994 ToCA Shoot Out and 1994 RAC Tourist Trophy
Johnny Cecotto - 1994 RAC Tourist Trophy
Frank Biela - 1994 RAC Tourist Trophy
Yvan Muller - 1994 and 1997 RAC Tourist Trophy
Warren Hughes - 1996 RAC Tourist Trophy
Jan Brunstedt - 1996 RAC Tourist Trophy
Aaron Slight - 1997 RAC Tourist Trophy
Paula Cook - 1997 RAC Tourist Trophy
Ok, I wasn't including the Tourist Trophy that was part of the World Cup, but otherwise you have got all 8!

That said Cecotto was on the entry list for 94 TOCA Shootout....
Old 12 Jan 2023, 14:55 (Ref:4139882)   #414
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
OK - on to the next question then.

Mercedes 2021,
Ferrari 2008,
Ferrari 1999,
Williams 1986,
Ferrari 1983,
Ferrari 1982,
Williams 1981,
Ferrari 1976,
Lotus 1973,
Vanwall 1958.

Why are these years significant?
Old 12 Jan 2023, 15:30 (Ref:4139891)   #415
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
OK - on to the next question then.

Mercedes 2021,
Ferrari 2008,
Ferrari 1999,
Williams 1986,
Ferrari 1983,
Ferrari 1982,
Williams 1981,
Ferrari 1976,
Lotus 1973,
Vanwall 1958.

Why are these years significant?
They all won the constructors' title but not the drivers' title. It's funny that Ferrari have done this so many times when they are famous for prioritising one driver.
Old 12 Jan 2023, 15:38 (Ref:4139896)   #416
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
They all won the constructors' title but not the drivers' title. It's funny that Ferrari have done this so many times when they are famous for prioritising one driver.
Yes - specifically they constructed a car that took the WCC but not the WDC in those seasons.

Over to you for the next question.
Old 12 Jan 2023, 18:38 (Ref:4139939)   #417
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yes - specifically they constructed a car that took the WCC but not the WDC in those seasons.

Over to you for the next question.
Thanks. My question is simply, what links the following drivers?

Luigi Fagioli
Juan Manuel Fangio
Luigi Musso
Tony Brooks
Stirling Moss

It's an exclusive list.
Old 13 Jan 2023, 08:44 (Ref:4140014)   #418
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks. My question is simply, what links the following drivers?

Luigi Fagioli
Juan Manuel Fangio
Luigi Musso
Tony Brooks
Stirling Moss

It's an exclusive list.
They all won a race sharing a car with someone else in that list
Old 13 Jan 2023, 17:58 (Ref:4140077)   #419
BTCC frog
Veteran

Quote:
They all won a race sharing a car with someone else in that list
Correct, all the drivers to have won a race in a shared drive. Interestingly, Luigi Fagioli was so angry at having to give up his car in Reims 1951 that he quit Alfa Romeo with immediate effect afterwards, despite the fact that Fangio won him his only F1 race. And Luigi Musso refused to give up his car to Fangio in Monza 1956 despite the fact that Fangio had won him his only F1 race the same way in Buenos Aires the same year, and as a result Peter Collins gave up his car, and his chance at the championship, to Fangio in Monza.

However, winning their only 'F1 race' would not have been as important to them as it is to drivers today as Luigi Fagioli was at the end of his career and had already had great success in the pre-war era, while Musso had already won non-championship races and looked like a potential future champion. (I actually believe he could have won it in 1961 had he not been killed and had still been racing for Ferrari).
Old 14 Jan 2023, 11:33 (Ref:4140137)   #420
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice easy one to keep this thread going!

Which team created as a touring car team found themselfs in F1 and who was the only foreigner to drive for them?
Old 14 Jan 2023, 15:11 (Ref:4140144)   #421
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post

Which team created as a touring car team found themselfs in F1 and who was the only foreigner to drive for them?
Zakspeed jumped out at me but they dont fit the driver side by a long way..

Of course by foreign do you mean foreign to the constructor / team or foreign as in non Brits?

Or Lancia and Chiron, though Lancia were perhaps Sportscars first. I was thinking maybe they competed with the Aurelia first in the Mille Miglia. .

Last edited by E.B; 14 Jan 2023 at 15:30.
Old 14 Jan 2023, 15:19 (Ref:4140145)   #422
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post

John Willment. Bob Bondurant.
Old 14 Jan 2023, 16:03 (Ref:4140149)   #423
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not the one I was thinking of, more modern in fact.
Old 14 Jan 2023, 16:19 (Ref:4140150)   #424
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Confident that Frank Gardner also drove F1 for Willment so that would make 2 foreigners.
Old 14 Jan 2023, 17:44 (Ref:4140157)   #425
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prodrive. Takumo Sato.