Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Sep 2020, 07:44 (Ref:4006124)   #1
PapaMoomin
Rookie

Poland
PapaMoomin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Max Verstappen said it was hard for him to find a reason why Lewis Hamilton should jo

Max Verstappen said it was hard for him to find a reason why Lewis Hamilton should join him in Red Bull Racing.

Recently Eddie Jordan has made some public statements. One of them was about Hamilton. The former head of the F1 team suggested that the six-time world champion should give up his new contract with Mercedes and face Verstappen at Red Bull Racing.

Jordan's idea did not arouse much enthusiasm in the Dutchman.

- All I'm interested in is winning the championship - answered the question asked by Motorsport.com about Jordan's words. - Well, why would he do that? He wants to win the championship, so do I.

- He was trying to be on the right team to win the championship and he is in it. But let's wait what happens.
Old 25 Sep 2020, 08:23 (Ref:4006129)   #2
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Eddie Rent A Quote Jordan. If you say enough silly things, one of them might eventually come true, and then we can all be amazed at how insightful he is.

Jordan talks as if Hamilton has something to prove. Verstappen is the one with something to prove. And yet he keeps signing long term contracts with Red Bull, instead of trying to get a seat in the best car on the grid. But that is another matter altogether. Eventually I'm sure he will win the WDC - and maybe several - whether that is with RBR or some other team. But while he is the hottest or 2nd hottest property in F1, perhaps his management should be trying to get him into a car that will deliver a WDC.
Old 25 Sep 2020, 08:44 (Ref:4006130)   #3
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
such a non story.

not sure why anyone pays attention to Jordan these days. Its not something that Red Bull would want to try and control so would never happen anyway

If Hamilton joined Red Bull or Max joined Mercedes it will benefit neither.

Its not like Hamilton has anything left to prove. The fact he has had 3 world champions as his teammates and beaten them all, along with his racing record speaks for itself.
Old 25 Sep 2020, 09:09 (Ref:4006131)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Stranger things have happened, but I would be very surprised if Hamilton joined RBR. It's a nice idea, but let's not forget Red Bull seem to only be interested in drivers from their own programme. They already said Vettel was a no go. Why should Hamilton be any different?
Old 25 Sep 2020, 09:22 (Ref:4006138)   #5
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
While Verstappen is there joining RB would most likely expose the weaknesses of Hamilton.
Old 25 Sep 2020, 09:23 (Ref:4006139)   #6
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Stranger things have happened, but I would be very surprised if Hamilton joined RBR. It's a nice idea, but let's not forget Red Bull seem to only be interested in drivers from their own programme. They already said Vettel was a no go. Why should Hamilton be any different?
i actually think there is a stronger chance Max will be trying to get into the Merc.

There is literally ZERO reason for Lewis to join RBR, and ZERO reason for RBR to want to upset the apple cart with Max

i would be highly surprised if Max's management weren't sniffing around Merc if there is a chance Bottas/ Hamilton were leaving the team
Old 25 Sep 2020, 09:27 (Ref:4006142)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Total non-story. Just like the one about Hamilton joining Ferrari.....
Old 25 Sep 2020, 10:08 (Ref:4006147)   #8
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Its not like Hamilton has anything left to prove. The fact he has had 3 world champions as his teammates and beaten them all, along with his racing record speaks for itself.
Honestly he still has a lot to prove. 3 world champion team-mates yes, and technically he did finish ahead of Alonso in 2007, but only on tie-break. When you consider he was clearly the team's favoured driver, it looks less clear cut.

Jenson Button, solid but not spectacular. His only world title came mostly down to being in the right place at the right time with the Brawn GP car design.

And the only reason Nico Rosberg got anywhere near a world title is the shocking reliability that Hamilton suffered that year.

Top drivers don't have really great team-mates. Schumacher didn't, Senna didn't (usually). It just doesn't make sense from a teams point of view.

I'd say the best driver pairings we've seen in recent years are probably Alonso-Hamilton McLaren 2007 (and we all saw how that panned out) and Raikkonen-Massa at Ferrari, but certainly on the Finnish side of that garage there is a rather unique attitude and he is probably the one top driver of the last 20 years that would be able to be team-mate to anyone on the grid.

It's a real shame that Hamilton and Raikkonen were never team-mates. I think Hamilton would have had the upper-hand, but I also think Raikkonen would have been able to push him closer than any other team-mate he's had.
Old 25 Sep 2020, 10:15 (Ref:4006149)   #9
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Honestly he still has a lot to prove. 3 world champion team-mates yes, and technically he did finish ahead of Alonso in 2007, but only on tie-break. When you consider he was clearly the team's favoured driver, it looks less clear cut.
HAHAHAHAHA pull the other one!

2 things, he went to mclaren as a number 2 driver, was given team orders to remain behing alonso in the first part of the season (rightfully), the team only gave equal treatment around canada.

the team clearly favoured hamilton? Proof please....because of course it makes perfect sense to pay millions of dollars to bring in a multiple world champion and then throw your resources behind a completely unproven rookie!!!! LOL!!!!

The fact a complete rookie could get close enough to Alonso to rattle him speaks volumes about hamiltons ability.

beat him on a technicality? no.....beat him

Last edited by ascarracinguk; 25 Sep 2020 at 10:44.
Old 25 Sep 2020, 10:26 (Ref:4006150)   #10
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
LOL, if Red Bull thought they could get Hamilton they certainly would. Think of the PR - which is why they are in the sport to start with.

Though, if that unlikely event came to pass, Merc would move heaven and earth to sign Max anyway.
Old 25 Sep 2020, 11:04 (Ref:4006153)   #11
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
He doesn't have anything to prove. But the weird thing about accumulated success in car racing, is that it can actually diminish the driver. It's hard to explain.

Quote:
Jenson Button, solid but not spectacular. His only world title came mostly down to being in the right place at the right time with the Brawn GP car design.
Well, that then makes up for being at the wrong place other times. Winning a championship isn't the be all, end all. IN Button's case, his season in 2011 validates him more than the WC does. Similar with Damon Hill, where races like Suzuka 94, Hungary 97 and Belgium 98 validate him more than the WC does.

Quote:
And the only reason Nico Rosberg got anywhere near a world title is the shocking reliability that Hamilton suffered that year.
Well you and I may be in for an exchange of posts, because you are blatantly wrong in this case.

Quote:
Top drivers don't have really great team-mates. Schumacher didn't, Senna didn't (usually). It just doesn't make sense from a teams point of view.
That's usually the teams directive.

Quote:
I'd say the best driver pairings we've seen in recent years are probably Alonso-Hamilton McLaren 2007
It's interesting to recall Pedro de la Rosa's Beyond The Grid interview, where he says this pairing is the best in F1 history.

Last edited by 2 litre Touring Car Star; 25 Sep 2020 at 11:21.
Old 25 Sep 2020, 11:09 (Ref:4006155)   #12
ascarracinguk
Veteran

agree about Rosberg amongst other things. he ABSOLUTELY deserved his world championship. sure Hamilton suffered poor reliability, but thats nothing unusual, others have the same. Rosberg put together a great season, it also showed how much it took out of him to win, retiring straight after. By his own admission he had to put his entire life on hold to do it, something he couldnt have done again.

Ive actually grown to admire rosberg more and more since his retirement and realise how underappreciated he was.
Old 25 Sep 2020, 11:20 (Ref:4006156)   #13
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
Hold on with your agreement. There's another post on the other tab quoting you! lol
Old 25 Sep 2020, 11:31 (Ref:4006174)   #14
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
Hold on with your agreement. There's another post on the other tab quoting you! lol

lol i meant i was agreeing with yourself about Rosbergs championship. He wasnt lucky, it was hard work that won him the championship
Old 25 Sep 2020, 11:32 (Ref:4006175)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
agree about Rosberg amongst other things. he ABSOLUTELY deserved his world championship. sure Hamilton suffered poor reliability, but thats nothing unusual, others have the same. Rosberg put together a great season, it also showed how much it took out of him to win, retiring straight after. By his own admission he had to put his entire life on hold to do it, something he couldnt have done again.

Ive actually grown to admire rosberg more and more since his retirement and realise how underappreciated he was.

I think Bottas has shown how good Rosberg was. Yes he required a bit of luck to win the title, but luck is no good if you can’t make the most of the opportunity presented to you. He really was prepared to go that bit extra to win the title too. As well as that, even if Hamilton was winning, Rosberg was always there or thereabouts 9 times out of 10.
Old 25 Sep 2020, 11:40 (Ref:4006189)   #16
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
I think Bottas has shown how good Rosberg was. Yes he required a bit of luck to win the title, but luck is no good if you can’t make the most of the opportunity presented to you. He really was prepared to go that bit extra to win the title too. As well as that, even if Hamilton was winning, Rosberg was always there or thereabouts 9 times out of 10.
completely agree with this. Im not ashamed to say it, i didnt like Rosberg much when he was at Mercedes....some of his antics were interesting, however since hes gone i have missed how much he pushed Lewis, it brought the best out in both drivers.

Sometimes these days i think hamilton is doing 'just enough' to win, so he doesnt burnout....i always feel like there is another gear in there if he was challenged properly....sometimes you see that gear for instance in the second half of Monza or Spain, Austria qualifying..
Old 25 Sep 2020, 11:46 (Ref:4006191)   #17
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
HAHAHAHAHA pull the other one!

2 things, he went to mclaren as a number 2 driver, was given team orders to remain behing alonso in the first part of the season (rightfully), the team only gave equal treatment around canada.
Nick Fry was interviewed on Australian radio last year. He was saying that they were interested to have Hamilton join the team. That contributed to Dennis picking Hamilton for the 07 season when he perhaps was reluctant to.

I have no doubt that because Hamilton was an unknown quantity, there may've been some reliance/leaning towards Alonso.

Quote:
the team clearly favoured hamilton? Proof please....because of course it makes perfect sense to pay millions of dollars to bring in a multiple world champion and then throw your resources behind a completely unproven rookie!!!! LOL!!!!
It does seem silly on the surface, but there's more to it. When it was announced Alonso was going to Mclaren (Dec 05), Hamilton wasn't even in the picture. I presume the intention for Mclaren was to win with him. But that changed when Hamilton showed he was of more substance than a typical drive in his first year. Mclaren might've paid Alonso millions, but it meant nothing when there was greater commercial value in Hamilton.

I'm someone who thinks Alonso is better overall (That topic does get blurred). But considering how good Hamilton was straightaway and was an Mclaren/MB product. For however good Alonso is, he wasn't worth Mclaren hiring him (Or Schumacher or anyone else).

Quote:
The fact a complete rookie could get close enough to Alonso to rattle him speaks volumes about hamiltons ability.
Absolutely.

He's a "rookie". But from my observations, first year drivers from the 2000s seem different than before.

Quote:
beat him on a technicality? no.....beat him
I'm going to say ""yes".

Same wins and points total, but Hamilton gets awarded 2nd due to more 2nd places. Not just that, but even from Canada where you said that's when they were getting equal treatment, it was 71pts each for the rest of the season (38pts after Monaco).

10-7 h2h for Alonso in races. 10-7 or 9-6 for Hamilton in qualifying. But Alonso "lost" the "meeting expectations championship". It's like watching a football final where the team that has the better of play, but still has to end up winning on penalties.

I think it was to Hamilton's advantage that it was at Mclaren, and that it was Alonso having to adjust to a new team. Had Alonso stayed at Renault and Hamilton joined him there, then I personally think Alonso would've clearly beaten him. But on a scale of Alonso - Fisichella, Hamilton would've been closer to Alonso than Fisichella.
Old 25 Sep 2020, 11:55 (Ref:4006193)   #18
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
Just for the Rosberg taking advantage of Hamilton's "unreliability". Most of you should've remember that Rosberg got punted off in Malaysia after that Vettel/Verstappen skirmish. Rosberg had to make his way up the field. If it wasn't for the "luck" Hamilton had that day, Rosberg would otherwise have won.

Because Rosberg is like the Chelsea/Mourinho of racing drivers, he allowed that season to be closer that it was.
Old 25 Sep 2020, 11:56 (Ref:4006194)   #19
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaMoomin View Post
Recently Eddie Jordan has made some public statements.
Slow news day in F1. Just ring up Eddie for a quote or two or ten.

Richard
Old 25 Sep 2020, 12:01 (Ref:4006198)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As pointed out above. Eddie Jordan.
Old 25 Sep 2020, 12:15 (Ref:4006201)   #21
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Slow news day in F1. Just ring up Eddie for a quote or two or ten.

Richard

You make it sound like he’s a maintenance worker lol!
Old 25 Sep 2020, 12:32 (Ref:4006206)   #22
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
You make it sound like he’s a maintenance worker lol!
hes certainly high maintenance il give you that!
Old 25 Sep 2020, 17:40 (Ref:4006244)   #23
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
Just for the Rosberg taking advantage of Hamilton's "unreliability". Most of you should've remember that Rosberg got punted off in Malaysia after that Vettel/Verstappen skirmish. Rosberg had to make his way up the field. If it wasn't for the "luck" Hamilton had that day, Rosberg would otherwise have won.

Because Rosberg is like the Chelsea/Mourinho of racing drivers, he allowed that season to be closer that it was.

There were plenty of times that season, such as Spa, where Lewis too had to start at the back due to unreliability reasons yet dragged himself back to a finish he shouldn't have had due to his performace.

On balance, Lewis had the worse reliability that season, culminating in Malaysia where the title ended up put out of Lewis' reach by the engine failure.

But even as a Lewis fan, there's no point to decrying Nico's achievements
If you try to pain Nico as an average driver, then why didn't Lewis muller him like he is Bottas atm?

No, Nico was an underrated talent, with the only real black mark with his ruthlessness (putting his engine into an mode the drivers and team agreed they wouldn't do in the race for reliability reasons to challenge lewis was the start of a snowball effect that culminated in Nico's retirement it seems. But Monaco Qualifying was perhaps his worst moment, when he wasn't clumsily clunking into Lewis due to his misunderstanding of wheel to wheel racing anyway)
Nico sacrificed everything to be world champion. His friendship with Lewis was the first thing he found easy to cast aside, it seems

Ever since he left the sport, he's seemed like he's tried to rekindle that friendship, but it seems that's a door that will remain closed, at least while Lewis is still racing

As good as a driver he was though, I could do without him trying to become the face of the sport with some weak-level punditry, Boring Vlogs, sponsorship campaigns and an objectionably terrible podcast recorded on his Iphone so the sound is terrible.

Good driver, but was his career just his method of raising his profile for his other business concerns? The more he keeps showing up, the more that seems to be the case.
Old 25 Sep 2020, 18:09 (Ref:4006247)   #24
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Here's a bunch of things which are all true:

Rosberg is a really nice guy willing to walk away from the sport for the sake of his family
Rosberg is a ruthless ******* willing to sacrifice friendships and push the limits of the rules in order to win
Rosberg deserved to be a World Champion
Rosberg worked hard to be World Champion
Rosberg would not have been World Champion in 2016 were it not for an unusual run of mechanical problems for Hamilton
Hamilton became a better driver as a result of losing in 2016 and has Rosberg to thank for that

Edit: Oh and Eddie Jordan is a slightly sad attention-seeker

Last edited by Anyopenroad; 25 Sep 2020 at 18:22.
Old 25 Sep 2020, 18:24 (Ref:4006248)   #25
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Here's a bunch of things which are all true:

Rosberg is a really nice guy willing to walk away from the sport for the sake of his family
Rosberg is a ruthless ******* willing to sacrifice friendships and push the limits of the rules in order to win
Rosberg deserved to be a World Champion
Rosberg worked hard to be World Champion
Rosberg would not have been World Champion in 2016 were it not for an unusual run of mechanical problems for Hamilton
Hamilton became a better driver as a result of losing in 2016 and has Rosberg to thank for that

Edit: Oh and Eddie Jordan is a slightly sad attention-seeker
This^^^^^ 100% then 100% more

Anyway, back to max, red bull, Lewis., Eddie.....ummm basically it’s b0llocks