Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 9 Aug 2010, 09:05 (Ref:2741765)   #51
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shame to hear about all the problems - anyone have any results for the day?
Old 9 Aug 2010, 10:13 (Ref:2741798)   #52
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
rich_cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doran won super final and supercar final
Old 9 Aug 2010, 10:17 (Ref:2741802)   #53
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
As for the day itself. Not starting till 11am. 2H after it should have and then having move delays during the day. Not good at all!!!!!

Cutting down from 3 heats to 2 heats. Not good!

As for the racing, great! Every race was good and from that point of view that was a plus.

Track was better than last time for the looks of it, but still not great. Hope they can sort it for next month. And hope the entry is alittle better for the next time there in september.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 10:21 (Ref:2741805)   #54
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LHMC got the start time wrong, Mallory never starts before 9-30 am on Sundays.
LHMC forgot to order a Rescue Vehicle, hence the delayed start whilst one was found and driven to the circuit.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 10:25 (Ref:2741807)   #55
Darren Wilcox
Rookie

Darren Wilcox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well apart from splitting my bodyshell in half almost, I had my first class win (stockhatch) since coming out of a twelve year retirement so I guess i'd have to be pretty pleased. But all the waiting was a right royal pain in the A**e. No rescue unit booked by the circuit and with Mr Colin Hilton there from the MSA aswell won't go down to well with them i would have thought.

Oh well I'll go and get my Mig out and try to re attach the boot floor as at the moment the rear beam is fastened to a bit of metal that is no longer part of the bodyshell
Old 9 Aug 2010, 10:25 (Ref:2741808)   #56
bucko
Racer

United Kingdom
Bucks
bucko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this would be a great track but it really needs a lot of TLC sort it out and it would be brill ,
Old 9 Aug 2010, 10:36 (Ref:2741812)   #57
Darren Wilcox
Rookie

I do agree, the general layout etc i thought could be great, all they need to do is pay Cecil Haffey the money that is needed to come and sort the job out once and for all. No if's buts or my mates Dads brother can do it cheaper, get Cecil to do it and this would be one of the best without doubt.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 11:01 (Ref:2741827)   #58
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Wilcox View Post
No rescue unit booked by the circuit and with Mr Colin Hilton there from the MSA aswell won't go down to well with them i would have thought.
Darren, please don't blame the circuit for a mistake by the organisers. As Dave (Fat Clerk) said, LHMC forgot to order the unit. The circuit has no input on things like that.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 11:03 (Ref:2741828)   #59
bucko
Racer

United Kingdom
Bucks
bucko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I do agree, the general layout etc i thought could be great, all they need to do is pay Cecil Haffey the money that is needed to come and sort the job out once and for all. No if's buts or my mates Dads brother can do it cheaper, get Cecil to do it and this would be one of the best without doubt.
i completley agree with you but have to say my dads brothers neice uncles nephews sister twelve times removed stepbrothers uncle says his next door nieghbour agrees to that murphy can do a better job than cecil
(soz hope that you take that in good humour ?)
Old 9 Aug 2010, 11:50 (Ref:2741844)   #60
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_cooper View Post
Doran won super final and supercar final
Ta!
Old 9 Aug 2010, 13:07 (Ref:2741882)   #61
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trust me – it was a long frustrating old day for the army of orange volunteers too. We fitted in the odd bite of a pork pie and gulp of water between heats, but dropping our lunch break at least gave the maximum possible racing that we could squeeze in for you. We were all very lucky that the BARC rescue wagon could be contacted and got across to the circuit – also that there were sufficient licenced rescue crew who were prepared to redeploy from home or trackside to make up a full team.

There were certainly a few wild “bucking bronco rides” past us on the start / finish line – some phenomenal examples of car control too. Felt sorry for those minis who spun avoiding each other – cracking reflexes to avoid a pile up, but must have been frustrating.

The spectator injury was unfortunate – it seems that folk from both sides of the fence would have been less frustrated if there had been more frequent updates on causes of delay for this and other problems. Sadly, these incidents take as long as they take and a PA announcement can never predict a completion time – maybe a few more regular announcements would have at least made competitors and speccies feel that they hadn’t been forgotten?

As a Lydden regular, it’s clear to me that the Mallory layout doesn’t allow quite the same slick transition between each heat – it’s amazing how losing just an extra 30-60 seconds getting the next cars to the grid adds up over a full day. Thanks to the drivers who came to the grid sharpish – what must have been a very frustrating day didn’t get taken out on us.

Finally, a quick thank you to the various drivers / teams & LHMC folk who chipped in a few bits & pieces for the marshals’ raffle and topped up our supply of crisps and water
Old 9 Aug 2010, 17:50 (Ref:2742060)   #62
Darren Wilcox
Rookie

Sorry if I caused any offence, RE the rescue unit, this all goes more towards the paddock need more comunication with what was going on, I was informed that it was the fault of the circuit and not LHMC. But regardless of whos fault it was it dos'nt take away from the fact that the track was'nt much better than before (I'm told as i was'nt there 1st time round) apart from the stones were only 2" round instead of 4" square.

I'm not going to ask for a quarter of my money back because i did'nt get the time in the car i payed for and i'm not trying to sue the people that made the track for the damage to my car. But maybe just a little communication on the day would of been nice from someone it's OK saying it the day after on a forum but why was'nt it explained to us whilst we were there.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 19:53 (Ref:2742109)   #63
StockHatch782
Racer

StockHatch782 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I had my first class win (stockhatch) since coming out of a twelve year retirement so I guess i'd have to be pretty pleased.
Well done, mate. I think I had a brief glimpse of you as we went off the line but had a face full of bricks from Joe's wheels after that so didn't see you claim your win! Top effort.
I enjoyed the event despite it all, although it was a shame to lose the third heats when we already have such minimal track time in rallycross already. Not very keen on going back again until the track genuinely is sorted, but hopefully there were some good races yesterday for the spectators and I certainly had a good couple of ding dong battles in the lowly class.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 21:13 (Ref:2742143)   #64
Mallory 13
Rookie

Mallory 13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well sunday certainly was interesting, organising club forget to book rescue unit,spectator injured(hopefully not to serious) &eventually some good racing. Ok the track still was"nt great (they only got the diggers out twice i believe)which was certainly a improvement on last time &hopefully will continue to improve looking forwar to the nxt event there
Old 10 Aug 2010, 20:13 (Ref:2742659)   #65
BlackWidow
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wellington, Telford
BlackWidow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From a purely spectators point of view I'd just like to list the following:

1/ Organisation was very poor, the start was delayed by 1.5 hours but no message came over the tannoy for an hour. Whoever had forgotten to order the rescue truck this is inexcusable, this is basic stuff.
2/ Within 3 minutes (i.e. the first practice session) the track had cut up. Had nobody tested this beforehand with a few cars? Clearly not.
3/ Unfortunate incident with spectators getting hit, I hope they are OK, but again not a mention of the delay on the PA.
4/ Lack of co-ordination in getting the next cars out as the last lot finished, as some one as said, 1 minute wasted over 30 races = half an hour lost.
5/ Water tractor ran out of water whilst watering, so had to refill during watering time, not during the races as most other tracks do. Yet more time wasted.
6/ One set of heats lost through basic incompetence, so we actually spent more time watching nothing or circuit repairs that we did racing. but.......
7/ I didn't ask for a quarter of my money back.
8/ When racing did happen it was excellent, and ignoring the negative points above I enjoyed the meeting. Well done to all the drivers for getting through it.
9/ Will I be back? Yes I will, if only to watch some good racing, but No if the standard of organisation or communication doesn't improve. This was POOR.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 21:51 (Ref:2742739)   #66
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately the circuit P.A, isn't allowed to be used before 11am.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 07:19 (Ref:2742902)   #67
StockHatch782
Racer

StockHatch782 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I forgot to add in my earlier post the main point I thought of on the day: thank you to the marshals and volunteers who stood in the baking heat all day while the track was mended or other delays were dealt with. I hope you all have fantastic suntans to show for it and that we put on a good show for you when we were racing!

Couldn't do it without you, so thanks to each and every one.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 17:31 (Ref:2743125)   #68
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Unfortunately the circuit P.A, isn't allowed to be used before 11am.
I have noticed this before when ive been there.

Makes no sence to me, you can have a load of cars/bikes racing around from 9am but cant have the p.a on

Abit crap that!
Old 11 Aug 2010, 19:22 (Ref:2743185)   #69
Mad Mark Watson
Racer

England
barnard castle
Mad Mark Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
From a purely spectators point of view I'd just like to list the following:

1/ Organisation was very poor, the start was delayed by 1.5 hours but no message came over the tannoy for an hour. Whoever had forgotten to order the rescue truck this is inexcusable, this is basic stuff.
2/ Within 3 minutes (i.e. the first practice session) the track had cut up. Had nobody tested this beforehand with a few cars? Clearly not.
3/ Unfortunate incident with spectators getting hit, I hope they are OK, but again not a mention of the delay on the PA.
4/ Lack of co-ordination in getting the next cars out as the last lot finished, as some one as said, 1 minute wasted over 30 races = half an hour lost.
5/ Water tractor ran out of water whilst watering, so had to refill during watering time, not during the races as most other tracks do. Yet more time wasted.
6/ One set of heats lost through basic incompetence, so we actually spent more time watching nothing or circuit repairs that we did racing. but.......
7/ I didn't ask for a quarter of my money back.
8/ When racing did happen it was excellent, and ignoring the negative points above I enjoyed the meeting. Well done to all the drivers for getting through it.
9/ Will I be back? Yes I will, if only to watch some good racing, but No if the standard of organisation or communication doesn't improve. This was POOR.
and this comes from the people who make our sport possible the fans and spectators who without them tracks wouldnt enerttain rallycross
when i read your post i felt very sorry for all the people not that many who came to watch us at Mallory!!!

I dotn know who you are but if you can come to Lydden I would like you to come as guests of Mad Mark Motorsport and so we can show you that rallyx is the best spectator motorsport ever
PM me and we will sort you out with a great days racing
Old 11 Aug 2010, 19:58 (Ref:2743204)   #70
ScottDay
Racer

United Kingdom
Derby
ScottDay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can we all jump at this offer mark
Old 11 Aug 2010, 20:49 (Ref:2743229)   #71
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have noticed this before when ive been there.

Makes no sence to me, you can have a load of cars/bikes racing around from 9am but cant have the p.a on

Abit crap that!
Blame the local NIMBYS

NO racing before 9:30
Racing MUST stop at 6:00pm
PA already covered

VERY strict planning rules.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 23:05 (Ref:2743292)   #72
Darren Wilcox
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mark Watson View Post
and this comes from the people who make our sport possible the fans and spectators who without them tracks wouldnt enerttain rallycross
when i read your post i felt very sorry for all the people not that many who came to watch us at Mallory!!!

I dotn know who you are but if you can come to Lydden I would like you to come as guests of Mad Mark Motorsport and so we can show you that rallyx is the best spectator motorsport ever
PM me and we will sort you out with a great days racing
And he even has pole dancers in his awning

Top offer Mark and you even sound a bit more upbeat than you did the other day mate, the sport needs characters like yourself, Chin up and onwards

Anyway i think i'll start a Lydden thread and lets all move on from this.

Last edited by Darren Wilcox; 11 Aug 2010 at 23:17.
Old 12 Aug 2010, 09:04 (Ref:2743413)   #73
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroller View Post
Blame the local NIMBYS

NO racing before 9:30
Racing MUST stop at 6:00pm
PA already covered

VERY strict planning rules.
Its no suprise, I just dont understand how people can moan when they move next to a race track. Its no fault of Mallory Park i no.

It also got me that there was an ABBA thing on, what time did that finish ? well after 6pm i would think! Why should that be any different to motorsport ?
Old 12 Aug 2010, 18:04 (Ref:2743657)   #74
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Its no suprise, I just dont understand how people can moan when they move next to a race track. Its no fault of Mallory Park i no.
As someone who lived next to Mallory Park (and my parents still live there), and has attended events there for 25 years, the last 15 (approx) as a journalist and commentator, I find this remark belies a lack of understanding of the situation.

These local rules have been in place for many, many years. There is not, as far as I am aware, a big problem with locals moving in and demanding changes. The restrictions on the hours of use are a sensible compromise and is a good example of the circuit working well with the local community. I don't think restricting racing hours to 9.30am to 6pm on a Sunday are at all draconian - just perfectly reasonable.

From the village, the noise of the PA can often be heard above the racing, and can be more of a nuisance than cars or bikes going round. Hence the restriction on its use; again, perfectly sensible.

The bigger problem for local residents is the more recent add-ons to the circuit - the MotoX track, for example. And with this, I consider that they have a more reasonable cause for concern - as this is a new use of the land, and a lot more intrusive as far as noise is concerned.
Old 12 Aug 2010, 18:27 (Ref:2743668)   #75
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mallory has always had a good relationship with the village and the council. Long may it continue. Lack of PA announcement is a small price to pay for rallycross to continue.

As has been said the basic problem was organisational ineptitude. Apart from the rescue wagon, if you know the circuit is going to cut up you really need more equipment and people on hand to sort it out.

Everyone goes on about making rallycross more professional but you need to start by getting the basics right and that means ensuring the meeting runs properly.