Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 13 Sep 2006, 14:19 (Ref:1709590)   #1
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nascar In Canada

NASCAR buying CASCAR: [after years of rumors...] NASCAR today will unveil a Canadian-based stock car series that will feature a season-long points battle among the country's best drivers and end with the awarding of the Canadian Tire Cup. The Toronto Sun has learned that a deal to sell CASCAR -- Canada's top stock car racing series -- to the France family business that is NASCAR will be made official at a news conference today in Toronto and that Canadian Tire has signed on as the title sponsor. The deal, which has been two years in the making, will see NASCAR sanction a national stock car racing series in Canada on the foundation that has been laid by Tony Novotny and his wife, Linda, over the past 20 years. "It's finally going to happen," Linda Novotny said yesterday. At the Champ Car Grand Prix of Montreal last month CASCAR also became the first stock car series to race on an active Formula One track at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. It is the same track where the NASCAR Busch Series will hold its first-ever Canadian race in 2007. Robbie Weiss, NASCAR's international director, is flying in from his Los Angles office to make the proclamation about his company's future in the Great White North and while his office would not reveal why he is visiting Toronto, it's not likely just another glad-handing affair where Brian France gets his hands on some of that Canadian Tire money.

Speaking of CASCAR, all of a sudden it seems to be the place to be for two of Quebec's top open wheel racing drivers. A week ago Patrick Carpentier, a veteran of both Champ Car and the Indy Racing League, drew high praise for his sixth-place finish after he climbed into the Dave Jacombs Racing #88 Ford for CASCAR's Labour Day Classic at Cayuga Speedway. And this past Saturday at Montreal's Autodrome Ste. Eustache, 19-year-old Andrew Ranger, driver of the #27 MiJack Conquest Racing Lola in Champ Car, drove the same car to a 13th-place finish in his first try in the big sedans. Both Carpentier and Ranger have been paying attention to the NASCAR talk in their home province and both are likely to make bids to be part of the show there next season.(Toronto Sun)(9-12-2006)
Old 13 Sep 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1709591)   #2
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
UPDATE: In support of its initiatives across Canada, NASCAR announced the creation of the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series. Scheduled to launch in May 2007, the series includes a multi-year sponsorship agreement with Canadian Tire – an iconic Canadian brand with strong national presence. The NASCAR Canadian Tire Series will operate nationally in Canada with a schedule of 10-12 races (May-October). The series will provide new racing opportunities for teams and drivers from the former CASCAR series. The official NASCAR Canadian Tire Series schedule, point fund and tracks will be announced at a later date. The series will receive support from NASCAR’s extensive resources, including competition, research and development, marketing, licensing and communications. A dedicated staff will operate the series, with NASCAR Canada providing additional support in sponsorship, licensing, marketing and media initiatives. In addition to becoming title sponsor of the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series, Canadian Tire, the most-shopped general merchandiser in the country, will become the official automotive retailer of NASCAR in Canada. Canadian Tire will offer exclusive customer promotions, seasonal marketing programs and national advertising and in-store programs in partnership with NASCAR Canada. As part of the partnership agreement and its continued focus on being first-to-market with new and exciting products, Canadian Tire will explore licensing opportunities, including developing a new line of NASCAR products for the automotive aftermarket.

TSN, a NASCAR broadcast partner for more than 20 years, will help market the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series and draw new fans to NASCAR and stock car racing in Canada. Among these efforts, TSN is developing a monthly magazine-style show that will showcase the many aspects of the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series. The program will spotlight the stars of the series, race news, updates and highlights.(NASCAR PR)(9-12-2006)
Old 13 Sep 2006, 16:18 (Ref:1709656)   #3
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a big surprise. They've been working together for a while now and the sale was going to happen sooner or later. NASCAR also has a series in Mexico I think and they are going to be launching more European and global series soon.

J.D.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 18:37 (Ref:1710398)   #4
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool! So, we have a new NASCAR series. Although, what tracks would they race on?
Old 14 Sep 2006, 19:43 (Ref:1710465)   #5
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
I think the plan is to keep racing at the CASCAR tracks. There are quite a few oval tracks in Canada. Here's this years schedule:
http://www.cascar.ca/schedule.html
Old 15 Sep 2006, 07:29 (Ref:1710710)   #6
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfloopy
I think the plan is to keep racing at the CASCAR tracks. There are quite a few oval tracks in Canada. Here's this years schedule:
http://www.cascar.ca/schedule.html
If I was to speculate a bit I think that 'CASCAR' might visit some of the tracks in the northern parts of the US as support events to the NEXTEL Cup Series. Not sure what tracks would be most suited, but I reckon New Hampshire and Michigan would work, from a logistical standpoint (unless my knowledge of US geography is completely shot to ****, that is )?
Old 15 Sep 2006, 15:07 (Ref:1711150)   #7
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
I'm not sure they will make incursions into the U.S. as a series. Most of the New England tracks have the North Series already and the most of the other tracks are either too big and fast (Michigan) or are too small or far from Canada for them to make the trip. I think some of the CASCAR teams will race with other NASCAR series especially if they start using similar cars between the series.

J.D.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 14:07 (Ref:1712941)   #8
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone heard about a new oval track going in up at Niagara Falls, Ontario? I caught something on it back in the spring but I've got my notes at home about it. I'm sort of surprise we haven't heard more about it.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 15:43 (Ref:1713913)   #9
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last I recall, Cascar did have some US races. They're at smaller US short tracks I don't recognize the name of.
Old 23 Sep 2006, 19:05 (Ref:1717174)   #10
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
NASCAR dropping Martinsville Busch race, taking series to Canada in 2007
By JIM UTTER
The Charlotte Observer

The tentative 2007 NASCAR Busch Series schedule
DOVER, Del. – Martinsville, Va., will lose its Busch Series race and Montreal adds one next season, according to a copy of the 2007 series schedule distributed to teams Saturday at Dover International Speedway.

A formal announcement of the 2007 schedule, including NASCAR’s expansion to Canada, is expected Tuesday.

The Charlotte Observer reported last week that the date of the race at Montreal’s Circuit Gilles Villeneuve – should the deal be completed to race in Canada – would be Saturday, Aug. 4. The 2007 schedule distributed Saturday confirms that date.

The move provides back-to-back road course events as the week following Montreal the series heads to the road course at Watkins Glen, N.Y.

Martinsville, which hosted a Busch race this season for the first time since 1994, loses its only race after a one-year stint. The race was not well attended.

The 2007 Busch season will open Feb. 17 at Daytona, followed races at California and the series’ third consecutive visit to Mexico City.

There are five open weekends on the schedule and the season finale is once again at Homestead, Fla., on Nov. 17.
Old 4 Oct 2006, 01:35 (Ref:1727093)   #11
Foster
Racer

Canada
The Maritimes
Foster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The move to Montreal is a go.
The Cup series races at Pocono the same weekend I believe.
How many will come up to the Canadian race will be interesting to see.