Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Nov 2017, 03:56 (Ref:3783661)   #201
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
The same can also be said that it's also not their job to get in a wreck when you're on for your best performance of the season (Simona that is).
Different race, different set of circumstances.

Try again.
Old 28 Nov 2017, 04:44 (Ref:3783669)   #202
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The same can also be said that it's also not their job to get in a wreck when you're on for your best performance of the season (Simona that is).
From my view, Mr McLaughlin took SdS out.
You can argue about superior car speed and the like, bur the pass was not effected cleanly & should have been, could have been, wasn’t.
And for that, a penalty showed up.
As it should have..

The impact on Mr McLaughlin was to put him back into the more desperate/cut throat end of the field, and without a teammate to lead the way Ricky Bobby/Cal Naughton Jr style, was always going to need to rely on superior race craft to move up

Especially after the pitlane speeding thing, which arguably was an example of poor discipline on the day.

And didn’t have what was needed on the day.

But jeez we got a great show!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 28 Nov 2017, 04:50 (Ref:3783671)   #203
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I tell ya what how good was the race compared to the F1 procession later in the evening. They may as well use remote control on F1 cars, follow the leader.
Old 28 Nov 2017, 05:25 (Ref:3783682)   #204
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dunno about that. RC racing I've seen makes the weekend's Supercar event look tame.
Old 28 Nov 2017, 05:48 (Ref:3783688)   #205
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Toad racing is where it's at. Makes all motor racing look quite stale.
Old 28 Nov 2017, 09:40 (Ref:3783723)   #206
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Simona didn't get into a wreck

She got wrecked, there is a difference
Old 28 Nov 2017, 10:09 (Ref:3783727)   #207
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Different race, different set of circumstances.

Try again.
You must be confused. We're talking about the SdS vs SM incident. Not only the same race, but the same incident.

Last edited by Razzzor; 28 Nov 2017 at 10:21.
Old 28 Nov 2017, 10:20 (Ref:3783734)   #208
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Simona didn't get into a wreck

She got wrecked, there is a difference
My point is she could have avoided it by leaving a car width. Scott was to blame because he didn't get far enough alongside her, but he was not out of control locking up and crashing into another car (as opposed to what he did to Moffat). Only difference is Moffat stayed straight and didn't spin otherwise he would have copped a penalty for that too.
Old 28 Nov 2017, 10:24 (Ref:3783735)   #209
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Especially after the pitlane speeding thing, which arguably was an example of poor discipline on the day.
I wonder if they'll ever publish the proof on that to show it was legit speeding. V8SC probably should, to ease the conspiracy theorists. Seems strange with both Penske's doing the same thing almost like it's a technical issue rather than driver error, like they were pushing the limit on the limiter too much.
Old 28 Nov 2017, 10:48 (Ref:3783739)   #210
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I wonder if they'll ever publish the proof on that to show it was legit speeding. V8SC probably should, to ease the conspiracy theorists. Seems strange with both Penske's doing the same thing almost like it's a technical issue rather than driver error, like they were pushing the limit on the limiter too much.
The judge of fact called it.
There is no right of reply with a PLP
Old 28 Nov 2017, 10:53 (Ref:3783740)   #211
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I turned to the person next to me when he entered pit lane and suggested to them that Scott was not down to speed when he hit the line, was not suprised when the penalty came up.
Such a big reduction in speed over the last car length when you push it to the edge
Old 28 Nov 2017, 11:01 (Ref:3783742)   #212
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
I turned to the person next to me when he entered pit lane and suggested to them that Scott was not down to speed when he hit the line, was not suprised when the penalty came up.
Such a big reduction in speed over the last car length when you push it to the edge
The Nissans were having trouble stopping at the pit lane entry in practice on Saturday, they locked up and slid uncontrolled past the speed measure line. Lucky they didn’t get pinged. It seemed a team/car thing for them. They obviously fixed it.
Old 28 Nov 2017, 16:16 (Ref:3783806)   #213
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It looked strange on the video, and the speed telemetry froze up for a second there at the critical point. It certainly looked like, if SM was getting pinged, SvG should have done also.

And why didn't they have the issue Saturday, but did on Sunday?

And no, GTR, Tim Schenken is a mere mortal man like the rest of us, so he and his decisions are not above reproach.
Old 28 Nov 2017, 22:37 (Ref:3783875)   #214
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The judge of fact called it.
There is no right of reply with a PLP
If it's found to have been incorrectly imposed, Roger could take it to court and argue that the penalty for putting Lowndes into the wall had already been served so suggest the post-race penalty be removed - the 1st penalty cancels it out. In all fairness, that would probably be just. Afterall they didn't penalise SM at Surfers for cutting the chicane because JW ran off on the same lap so in the stewards own words they cancelled each other out. V8SC will just argue that by their rules penalties can't be undone. But high court can overrule that probably. Look at the Bianchi case.

You never know when millions of dollars are at stake whether they'd stoop to winning the title in court. Most big corporate companies will go to court over the tiniest of things. Results aren't alwaysalways final - look at Lance Armstrong having all his 7 titles stripped several years later.

Not that Scott would want to win that way or any fans want him to win that way. I don't think Roger is the kind of guy that would take it to court... is he?
Old 28 Nov 2017, 22:44 (Ref:3783879)   #215
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
If it's found to have been incorrectly imposed, Roger could take it to court and argue that the penalty for putting Lowndes into the wall had already been served so suggest the post-race penalty be removed - the 1st penalty cancels it out. In all fairness, that would probably be just. Afterall they didn't penalise SM at Surfers for cutting the chicane because JW ran off on the same lap so in the stewards own words they cancelled each other out. V8SC will just argue that by their rules penalties can't be undone. But high court can overrule that probably. Look at the Bianchi case.

You never know when millions of dollars are at stake whether they'd stoop to winning the title in court. Most big corporate companies will go to court over the tiniest of things. Results aren't alwaysalways final - look at Lance Armstrong having all his 7 titles stripped several years later.

Not that Scott would want to win that way or any fans want him to win that way. I don't think Roger is the kind of guy that would take it to court... is he?
No he couldnt. The rules dont allow it.

To be clear what you are suggesting is next time there is a free kick in a football game, that after the game someone could take t to court and challenge the free kick and then that could change the result of the game, even though there are many more variables
Old 29 Nov 2017, 00:40 (Ref:3783902)   #216
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Dunno about that. RC racing I've seen makes the weekend's Supercar event look tame.
Yeah agreed, my son was number 9 in Australia at one time racing RCs.
Insane stuff.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 00:57 (Ref:3783904)   #217
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:

To be clear what you are suggesting is next time there is a free kick in a football game, that after the game someone could take t to court and challenge the free kick and then that could change the result of the game, even though there are many more variables
What I'm saying is a football game grand finale where one team won, but then had a post-match penalty imposed for something which is afterwards proven they shouldn't have been penalised for (the ref got it wrong), they could then go to Supreme Court to overrule that penalty. I'm not sure if Supreme Court can overrule sporting rules... I guess no one would really know unless there's a case example. But I'd muster a guess that they can.

It probably helps that Bairdo threw the penalty in before the race ended, otherwise I bet Penske would be challenging it.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 01:00 (Ref:3783905)   #218
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Teams tried to challenge the VFL in court in the late 80s and the precedent was set then. These pseudo private organisations charters effectively nullify the right to sue under them.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 29 Nov 2017, 01:10 (Ref:3783910)   #219
Umai Naa
Veteran

If you're going to be litigeous over the outcome of a sporting event, you shouldn't be involved in it.

You go into it knowing full well that a call mightn't go your way, just as you would, getting let off the hook over something you may well have been guilty of. That's the underlying nature of competition.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 01:11 (Ref:3783911)   #220
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Of course rules developed by a sporting code don't supersede a country's legal framework.

Could a football team or or race team commence proceedings to challenge a decision made on the sporting field or the racetrack?

Absolutely.

Especially if the aggrieved party suffered a financial loss.

Would the proceedings get very far? Possibly not. At the very least the two parties would be encouraged to exhaust all possibilities under their sporting code first.

And Mixer is correct in that the court would be reluctant to be involved if the sporting code itself was seen to be fair and reasonable.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 01:30 (Ref:3783915)   #221
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
And Mixer is correct in that the court would be reluctant to be involved if the sporting code itself was seen to be fair and reasonable.
The biggest issue here is that the rules that everybody is working under are created by elected teams representatives, so these are not "forced" on the teams, they are voted on by the teams.

As with ball sports, sometimes the umpires DO get it wrong. Personally I am not sure this applies to Newcastle, but in Cricket and Football the administrators have been trying to put systems in place to correct mistakes made, but these solutions are not universally beloved either.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 04:31 (Ref:3783935)   #222
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Newcastle’s ‘embarrassing’ Queens Wharf Tower to be demolished

was a useful reference point on the weekend
Old 29 Nov 2017, 08:29 (Ref:3783966)   #223
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Thanks for the link, seen that document before but telling point is the following from the document in your link (bold sections by me):

What that confirms, is that neither the race director nor the clerk of course decide the penalty, which is what you claimed erroneously.

I live plenty in the real world of motor sport beyond the internet thank you.
Hi Tourer, my point exactly, as a Marshall, we call in to race control, RD and CoC confer, They then send it to the stewards.
Stewards cannot walk in and start giving out penalties.

simple
Old 29 Nov 2017, 10:22 (Ref:3783989)   #224
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
Hi Tourer, my point exactly, as a Marshall, we call in to race control, RD and CoC confer, They then send it to the stewards.
Stewards cannot walk in and start giving out penalties.

simple
The post you replied to mentioned how quickly the stewards made the decision on penalty, you then said that CoC & RD make that call, which is incorrect. The decision on penalty lies with the stewards as per the document you linked.

Maybe you misread the original post as you now are agreeing that the stewards make the decision on penalty.

We're probably done to death on this point anyway.
Old 29 Nov 2017, 10:38 (Ref:3783992)   #225
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
It was how our group could find the entry gate with the complete lack of signage pointing us there.

A shame to lose it