Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 8 Mar 2012, 18:20 (Ref:3037155)   #1
lovef1
Rookie

lovef1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having confidence in your abilities

Dear members,

I was wondering what do you guys do, to have confidence in your abilities. I seem to have pretty low esteem before a race, whenever I get into an incident with someone, I am always the first one to apologize even though at times it's not my fault. As always your advice is very much appreciated.
Old 8 Mar 2012, 21:42 (Ref:3037250)   #2
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's called experience. Relax. Enjoy yourself. Confidence and self esteem have to be earned from yourself, just as much as from other people. In no time you'll not be the novice, and someone will apologise to you!
Old 8 Mar 2012, 21:52 (Ref:3037253)   #3
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I teach kart racing to 10 - 15 year olds. It's great to watch them flower from kids driving go karts into confident young racing drivers. You will too, just practice, practice and practice.
Old 8 Mar 2012, 22:51 (Ref:3037291)   #4
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovef1 View Post
Dear members,

I was wondering what do you guys do, to have confidence in your abilities. I seem to have pretty low esteem before a race, whenever I get into an incident with someone, I am always the first one to apologize even though at times it's not my fault. As always your advice is very much appreciated.
Confidence comes from knowing your abilities, working within them and striving to improve them. If you always drive within your abilities then you'll nearly always finish races (except where someone else driving outside their abilities crashes into you) and you'll always finish in the best position your ability allows. As you gain experience and skill by practice and learning from better drivers, your ability will improve and your finishing positions will too.

From your other thread I think you are not very experienced, but you should absolutely not think that means you don't have ability. It just means you still have a lot to learn. Don't get down on yourself before a race, just accept that you can't win races until you learn how to, and in learning how you're going to make a few mistakes. When you do, it is good to apologise for it (although you might want to wait til the other driver has calmed down). When it was someone else's mistake, and you are sure of that, you should shrug your shoulders and say 'these things happen'.

Stick to it and learn quickly and it won't be long before you're looking at new drives and smiling at the memory of when you used to drive like that
Old 9 Mar 2012, 01:57 (Ref:3037345)   #5
lovef1
Rookie

thanx for the advice guys...
Old 9 Mar 2012, 08:21 (Ref:3037395)   #6
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have total confidence in my level of ability. It is incredibly low and I just remind myself that this is all just a hobby, that I am out there to enjoy myself and as long as me and the car keep on improving then that is all I desire.

If you keep at it you will either keep improving or reach a plateau.

If you reach a plateau and aren't going quick enough to be enjoy yourself then get some training and get the car checked out...there is always a possibility it may not be you as a driver.

When I first started I was dog slow. I got someone to drive my car and he went a couple of seconds quicker than me which gave me a target to aim for. Years later a well respected professional driver drove my car, he was slower than me albeit with far less time in the car....just down to experience.
Old 9 Mar 2012, 09:39 (Ref:3037428)   #7
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Will echo everyone else view that it all comes with time. Be patient.

It is far better to be slightly lacking in confidence and slow than cocky/know it all and slow. People are willing to help the former.
Old 9 Mar 2012, 15:24 (Ref:3037545)   #8
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's a personal thing too - everyone will be different. Personally, I've never had a problem with confidence behind the wheel - probably too much so when I first started racing! But if that's the way you're wired, then that's how you'll be. If you're not a particualarly confident person generally, then you're going to have work at it and ease yourself in a bit more.

Me? In qualifying for my first ever race, at a soaking wet Oulton, I went out - convinced I was going to be the rainmeister - and promptly binned it coming out of druids on the first lap, and wiped the front and rear off my car! We managed to knock it back into shape in time for the race, and, starting from the back of the grid as I'd set no time earlier, I promptly got left behind at the start as, unknown to me, our green flag lap had been cancelled! Wasn't until after Cascades that I realised - but they were all long gone by then. However, I managed to catch up and even passed a few by the end of the race, so I salvaged something positive from an otherwise pretty disastrous day! But even that ominous start to my racing career never dented my confidence one bit - that's just how I'm wired.

Not everyone is wired that way (it's probably a good thing really, isn't it? ), and if you're not, then you're likely to be a bit more cautious until you've got a feel for it - and that's a good thing, and will certainly save you money in repair bills!

So, my advice would be, get out there, go at your own pace and don't feel pressurised into keeping up if you're not comfortable with the pace of the other cars. Keep an eye on your mirrors for faster stuff coming round to lap you and simply try to stay out of the way. As others have said, confidence (and pace) will build with experience. Most of all, you should be enjoying it - it's a hobby after all - and you aren't going to enjoy it if you put too much pressure on yourself to perform too early in your career.

Take it easy and have fun!
Old 9 Mar 2012, 18:37 (Ref:3037622)   #9
lovef1
Rookie

thanx for the advice guys, I hope things will get better with time... Btw, I have a "proper" race at the end of the month. I'll be racing a 2 stroke 125cc, I'm having second thoughts about out it, since I can barely drive an 80 cc 2 stroke. Do you guys think I should just go for it, or wait until i have improved? I quote the word "proper" because, this is potentially the first race that I'll participate that involves money as a reward.
Old 9 Mar 2012, 22:58 (Ref:3037741)   #10
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
125cc is a big step up in power from 80cc. If you decide to do the race may I suggest you make a sacrifice to whichever god can keep the rain away
Old 11 Mar 2012, 12:12 (Ref:3038272)   #11
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the paddock, after any race, get out there and talk to the other guys. Ask how they got on, about their machines and their plans. Make conversation, maybe have a drink in the bar later. If you are too young for that maybe a Coke? Become known, and knowing, around the grid, someone who relates to the others.
Then, because you're not talking to the guy for the first time, it'll be easier for you to say something a bit critical, and because they know you, less easy for them to dismiss you without responding.

And if you do have a problem with someone else's driving, don't start off with a critical statement. Say something like, we had a problem there, didn't we, can we sort it out? They can still be arrogant, saying that you drove like an idiot, but at least they have the opportunity to not lose face by admitting straight away that they were at fault, and can discuss it instead.

It's called being assertive, and you'll find lots more advice on the 'Net!
EG http://www.crackingconfidence.co.uk/...ggressive.html
Good luck!
John
Old 11 Mar 2012, 13:43 (Ref:3038304)   #12
IAN #51
Racer

England
WALSALL WEST MIDS
IAN #51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
They can still be arrogant, saying that you drove like an idiot, but at least they have the opportunity to not lose face by admitting straight away that they were at fault, and can discuss it instead.

Good luck!
John
Spoken like an ex TR/TSSC veteran John !

;-)
Old 11 Mar 2012, 15:05 (Ref:3038329)   #13
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll take that as a compliment, Ian!

I think..........

John
Old 11 Mar 2012, 17:27 (Ref:3038382)   #14
lovef1
Rookie

thanx for the advice guys....
Old 11 Mar 2012, 18:24 (Ref:3038403)   #15
IAN #51
Racer

England
WALSALL WEST MIDS
IAN #51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'll take that as a compliment, Ian!

I think..........

John
Lol wasn't implying you John ! Merely the politics that surrounded us
Old 11 Mar 2012, 18:55 (Ref:3038417)   #16
JohnD
Veteran

And changing policies!

I couldn't, usefully, enter CSCC with my 2.5 engine -"Original engine" rule. So as you know I went with the lovely guys of the RAF.

Been building new engine, pukka 2 litre - and CSCC announces "original BLOCK"! Ho, HUm! the old one was a bit tired and rattly.

Where you racing now?
John
Old 15 Mar 2012, 18:54 (Ref:3041723)   #17
McMuttley
Racer

England
Bromley
McMuttley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find that the lack of confidence (or at least a lack of understanding) in what I am doing, makes every race, indeed every corner, that little bit more exciting !
Old 15 Mar 2012, 20:06 (Ref:3041775)   #18
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
If you can remain calm my son, while all around are losing their minds.... you obviously don't understand how deep the **** is you're in!
Old 16 Mar 2012, 18:53 (Ref:3042347)   #19
lovef1
Rookie

I had a test session yesterday on a CRG 100 cc (I know i said I was going to race a 125 cc, but turns out I read it wrong for some reason), and lemme tell you what, the power difference is immense, I believe dtype warned me before. But seeing that I had the whole day to get accustomed to the kart and the track I was able to improve my lap times by 2 to 3 seconds. i didn't set any lap records, but I was on the pace of the other drivers (well at least that is what I was told by the track managers, because not a lot of karts were on track that day seeing as it was a weekday). I was able to experiment different lines, find the optimum braking points etc. This pressure free environment really gave me some confidence as now I slightly know what I'm doing. Also some parts of the track was damp, I won't lie i did have a couple of spins but i didn't spin on every lap like before, I'm actually getting the hang of things. So I just wanna say thank you all for your assistance.
Old 18 Mar 2012, 08:44 (Ref:3043755)   #20
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done on your first session,for every corner try to visualise a straight line. Thats the quickest line.
Old 18 Mar 2012, 16:00 (Ref:3043962)   #21
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Sorry tb, but that makes no sense at all. Same as the bloke who said that the fastest driver round a track is the one who turns the wheel the least. If that was true we'd all do drag racing (or visit the armco at the first corner).

Best bit of advice I read? Don't look at where your are, look at where you want to go to.
Old 18 Mar 2012, 19:29 (Ref:3044111)   #22
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And changing policies!

I couldn't, usefully, enter CSCC with my 2.5 engine -"Original engine" rule. So as you know I went with the lovely guys of the RAF.

Been building new engine, pukka 2 litre - and CSCC announces "original BLOCK"! Ho, HUm! the old one was a bit tired and rattly.

Where you racing now?
John
What car are you racing?
Old 18 Mar 2012, 21:53 (Ref:3044214)   #23
JohnD
Veteran

Triumph Vitesse.
Straight six block, that Triumph stroked to 2.5. Makes for a very torquey motor, but it doesn't rev, and with 13" wheels v. the TR5/6 15" it's not so fast.

John
Old 19 Mar 2012, 07:51 (Ref:3044426)   #24
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
Sorry tb, but that makes no sense at all. Same as the bloke who said that the fastest driver round a track is the one who turns the wheel the least.

Didn't do JB any harm yesterday,or,come to that, JYS.
Old 19 Mar 2012, 10:17 (Ref:3044517)   #25
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
MSC might have been, but I'm pretty sure JB was visualising corners....