Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 25 Aug 2015, 01:31 (Ref:3568455)   #1
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Justin Wilson

Another gone too soon.

Old 25 Aug 2015, 02:03 (Ref:3568463)   #2
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Always struck me as a conspicuously kindly driver in the very top class. RIP.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 02:38 (Ref:3568477)   #3
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sad news. rip
Old 25 Aug 2015, 02:44 (Ref:3568478)   #4
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here was a driver that had amazing tenacity and determination with little family backing that earned his way into drives and then found success. He accomplished quite a lot with very little at times and did so when I believe very few others could have done the same.

When I got back to the hotel this evening and opened my computer and saw the news my heart just sank. I did not know him personally but knowing people that have I've never heard anything but nice things and he seemed to be a genuinely nice person.

My empathy is with the family and I'm very sad for your loss.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 02:59 (Ref:3568485)   #5
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
A genuine guy - tenacious, good-humoured and someone for whom many have a deep fondness. He'll be missed and condolences to his family, friends and team, all of whom will be going through hell right now.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 03:01 (Ref:3568486)   #6
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm so sad that I have done this several times now, but here is my favorite photo of Justin.

Old 25 Aug 2015, 05:24 (Ref:3568510)   #7
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Apologies, absolutely nothing to do,with Historic Racing, but don't know how many on here follow the Indy racing threads or will have heard. Very sad news, RIP Justin- http://www.indycar.com/News/2015/08/...in-Wilson-dies

Last edited by John Turner; 25 Aug 2015 at 06:46. Reason: Post moved here from historic forum - JT
Old 25 Aug 2015, 06:24 (Ref:3568519)   #8
snoz wanger
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckshaw, Chorley......and Druids..
snoz wanger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Nice Guy.......

I met Justin in the paddock at Donington Park when he was just about to become champion of the original Formula Palmer Audi championship, i had a chat and asked for an autograph, He was the most pleasant and friendly guy, a real gentleman........my thoughts are with his family at this very sad time.

RIP Justin....x.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 06:46 (Ref:3568524)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
R.I.P Justin.

Such a sad day.

He was a tough competitor and hugely underrated.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 06:50 (Ref:3568526)   #10
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember him best in that Minardi in 2003. He deserved his F1 drive so much after dominating the F3000 championship against a pretty highly rated field (Webber, Pizzonia, Enge, Friesacher, Bourdais, who all went on to F1), and when he got the F1 chance he grabbed it with both hands - think it was Sepang where he started on the back row and flew through into the top ten on the opening lap? He did that several times that year I think. Also remember that first qualifying session at Magny Cours where he was part of a Minardi 1-2 in the wet weather (can't remember if it was him or Verstappen who got provisional pole)....shame the move to Jaguar didn't work out because I always thought if he'd seen out the season with Minardi he probably would have got another season in F1 at very least.

Great driver and by all accounts a great guy. RIP.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 07:30 (Ref:3568538)   #11
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP
Sad to see another talent leave us.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 07:55 (Ref:3568544)   #12
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember photographing him at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in 2003 (if I remember correctly) and he was very popular in the paddock there. Such a terrible tragedy to lose another driver in this way. Rest in Peace Justin.

Here is a short statement from the IMS.

IMS Statement Regarding Justin Wilson

INDIANAPOLIS, Monday, Aug. 24, 2015 - A statement from Indianapolis Motor Speedway President J. Douglas Boles about the passing of Indianapolis 500 and United States Grand Prix veteran Justin Wilson:

"We're saddened to have lost such an exceptional driver, friend and role model to many in the INDYCAR community. Justin was one of the most versatile and talented drivers of the last 15 years, as evidenced by his wins in sports cars, Champ Car and INDYCAR. More important than his driving ability was his approachable personality, his calm spirit, and the respect he earned throughout the racing community for the tremendous person, friend, father and husband he was. Justin made innumerable friends and admirers throughout the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and INDYCAR communities. All of us at IMS extend our prayers and deepest sympathy to the Wilson family."

Wilson first competed at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in the 2003 United States Grand Prix, finishing eighth and scoring his lone Formula One championship point of his career. Beginning in 2008, Wilson had competed in eight straight Indianapolis 500 races (2008 - 2015), finishing in the top 10 three times, with a best finish of fifth in 2013. Wilson also competed in the Verizon IndyCar Series Grand Prix of Indianapolis in 2014 and 2015. He is just one of three drivers who has competed at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in the United States Grand Prix, the Indianapolis 500, and the Grand Prix of Indianapolis.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 07:58 (Ref:3568545)   #13
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Just devastating!

RIP Justin and my thoughts with his family.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 08:50 (Ref:3568553)   #14
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RIP Justin

Ciao Marco
Old 25 Aug 2015, 08:50 (Ref:3568554)   #15
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I remember speaking to him at the 1998 motor show in Birmingham.

He was stood there all on his own, I believe it was one of the first years of Formula Palmer Audi. I walked over to him and said that I recognised him off the TV from the FPA and he said that I was probably the first person to actually recognise him at that event. We talked for about 10 minutes about the car, he even let me sit in it. Really great chap, easy to speak to, really seemed keen to speak to the public.

A great shame to hear of his passing. I hope he didn't suffer.

Cheers,

Ben.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 09:07 (Ref:3568556)   #16
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This was terrible news to wake up to today. A talented driver and, by all accounts, a lovely bloke. Thoughts are with his family and friends.

I feel for Sage Karam as well. There is no blame here, but the kid must be feeling awful.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 09:47 (Ref:3568566)   #17
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Thoroughly shocked by his passing. Yes he was in a coma and in a critical condition but I had convinced myself-he's gonna make it, it's gonna be tough but he'll pull through. And then I checked my phone earlier today and I was stunned.

I remember him most from his F1 days with Minardi, that has burned into my mind. Shame it didn't get better for him in F1 but that was Americas gain and we were grateful to see him apply his talents over there. As many people have spoken of his on track skills many more have spoken of his friendly and approachable personality out of the car and this is a true measure of a man. I forgot who called him this 'badass with a heart of gold'.

RIP Justin
Old 25 Aug 2015, 09:50 (Ref:3568567)   #18
backfire
Rookie

backfire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lovely bloke and not the ego centric type that's too common these days. Got to know him several years ago - everything that's been said in this sad thread is true.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 11:46 (Ref:3568585)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Really sad loss, although at least the family won't have the pain of him being kept in a coma like Bianchi. Still I hoped he would get through like Massa, Wendlinger, Brack and Hakkinen did.

I remember his lightning starts and his determination to get very far in Malaysia with the HANS device cutting his neck. Shame the five races at Jaguar didn't do him justice. I'm glad he had successful career in America in both series. Shame for it to end like this. I wish the best for his brother Stefan to keep the racing name proud
Old 25 Aug 2015, 18:13 (Ref:3568665)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
in memory of justin, please consider registering on the organ donor database. he was a registered donor, and his untimely passing has allowed another 6 people a chance at life.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 19:26 (Ref:3568678)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is very sad news. A top man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
in memory of justin, please consider registering on the organ donor database. he was a registered donor, and his untimely passing has allowed another 6 people a chance at life.

A fantastic thing to do. Good out of bad.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 20:07 (Ref:3568684)   #22
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I cannot say just how sad this makes me. A driver of the skill over money school who got to where he was by a combination of graft and talent, and with a humility and likeability that gained him the backing he needed to take the next step.

I met him several times over his career, as a youngster through the junior formulae, on the grid in his F3000 year, and for a long chat in the pitlane at Surfers' Paradise in 2005 when he took the time to be interested in how come a British marshal was working there and supporting him ("I'll try to beat the Aussie for you"). In all that time, he never changed and remained grounded, warm and friendly.

Such a tragedy to lose him, especially in such a pointless way. Sincerest condolences to all of his family and friends. RIP, Justin, you won't be forgotten.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 20:48 (Ref:3568700)   #23
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tragic news, a perfect gentleman who I had the pleasure of meeting twice.
Thoughts with his wife, family and brother Stef.
RIP big man
Old 26 Aug 2015, 04:57 (Ref:3568808)   #24
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've been on the road, traveling for work. Found out this news sitting at a random Pub in Washington State, far from anything that's normal for me. It's still not fully hit me yet. Coming in stages, i guess.

I've been an organ donor for years. No one should take my eyes or my liver but I'd gladly give anything else useful.

Justin seemed to be more giving than I ever realized. This guy was so much more than a racing driver and as a father of two young ones, this is the one that breaks me down:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...0504762277.jpg

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 26 Aug 2015 at 05:03.
Old 27 Aug 2015, 00:38 (Ref:3569049)   #25
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The stickers and t-shirts with Andy Blackmore's artwork are now available on Indycar.com: http://shop.ims.com/indycar/drivers/justin-wilson/

All proceeds go to his girls.