Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Mar 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1244659)   #1
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Start!

Haven't seen any mention of it elsewhere but what do people think about the new start procedure when someone (Kimi in this instance) stall on the grid.

Personally I thought it is a good way of keeping the race moving and prevents the sometimes long wait if the start is aborted, especially as on a restart they have a formation lap anyway so it doesn't reduce the number of racing laps.

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 6 Mar 2005, 17:02 (Ref:1244660)   #2
ysofast
Racer

ysofast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't see anything bad about it, safe for stalled car, keeps the others cool and keeps us fools from switch'n channels.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 17:49 (Ref:1244698)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was pleased about this when it was first mentioned, and it's worked really well. It's probably the only positive rule change this year. In the past a whole 5 minutes was lost for these situations, and it also put excessive wear and tear on the engines as they were turned off and then fired up again.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 18:24 (Ref:1244737)   #4
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
One of the few (the only?) excellent rules introduced this year. No need to waste everybody's time and punishing a driver by putting them at the back of the grid after they stall is enough...
Old 6 Mar 2005, 20:54 (Ref:1244922)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Agreed, a good system, better from everyones point of view as it doesn't delay the race, and surely it's gotta be better for the cars as there is less chance of them overheating.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 21:16 (Ref:1244955)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree to - a good system. It saves a lot of time that was being needlessly wasted.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 21:17 (Ref:1244956)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep, no complaints on this one.
Old 6 Mar 2005, 21:22 (Ref:1244961)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think we should record this thread for posterity!! Everyone agrees!!

HOLY WOW BATMAN!!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 6 Mar 2005, 23:29 (Ref:1245083)   #9
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even I do!
Old 7 Mar 2005, 02:35 (Ref:1245179)   #10
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow!
me too,lol
Old 7 Mar 2005, 10:20 (Ref:1245401)   #11
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About the only good rule implemented! I remember thinking with the stalled car 'here we bloody go, have to wait for 10 minutes'.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 7 Mar 2005, 10:31 (Ref:1245414)   #12
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Absolutely.

A very good move.
Old 7 Mar 2005, 14:09 (Ref:1245617)   #13
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like it, munch better than sitting around for 10/15 minutes, waiting for a restart.
Old 7 Mar 2005, 15:56 (Ref:1245714)   #14
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess anyone, no matter how misguided or ill-advised, can get one thing right out of about 10. Good rule change, definitely. Not sure how it'll work when it comes to restarting or resuming races after collisions though.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 15:31 (Ref:1247793)   #15
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to love it when there were restarts - build-up of tension for the first start...and then they give you a second one FREE!! Those ten minutes between starts were always tense and exciting - the engine wear adds to the drama, will anyone's engine heat up too much and explode on lap 2? Who knew? I'll miss it...they're turning F1 all slick and Riverdance-y.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 15:39 (Ref:1247803)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Im going to be the black sheep here and say that I prefered the old method.
I actually quite enjoyed the buildup to the start, the excitment, then someone has their hands waving, and its aborted, and you had another 5 minutes to enjoy the pre-race tension.
Im sure for TV companies and viewers in general its a good thing, but for me, I quite enjoyed a delayed start...
Old 9 Mar 2005, 18:25 (Ref:1247966)   #17
Vicki
Veteran

England
Stoke
Vicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVicki should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm in agreement. After watching the hour build up this time, if the old procedure had been in place I would have been really annoyed! I like it. Well done whoever made that up!!
Old 10 Mar 2005, 13:23 (Ref:1248523)   #18
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want the build up to be 5 minutes longer, turn your TV on 5 minutes earlier.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 14:19 (Ref:1248562)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very droll, but a good point. TV audiences are easier to keep when the breaks aren't as long - the difference could be even bigger in other situations later in the year.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 14:44 (Ref:1248587)   #20
f1_carzy
Racer

United Kingdom
Bangor, Co Down
f1_carzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think, with all the 'bad' rules, this one seems to be the least harmful
Old 11 Mar 2005, 15:29 (Ref:1249642)   #21
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
If you want the build up to be 5 minutes longer, turn your TV on 5 minutes earlier.
The build-up is usually about 2 weeks long for me...what I'm saying is that restarts add to the tension and the excitement - something that F1 generally lacks at the moment.