Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Oct 2014, 16:26 (Ref:3463016)   #76
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsten66 View Post
Just a little reminder of the project… and like Graham said: Well boys and girls here's your chance!

No more lame excuses, it's time to act now, support Brabham, spend some bucks and let's get the project running…

It's as simple as that.
Well the proposition didn't convince me to spend my money on it.
Old 10 Oct 2014, 22:31 (Ref:3463141)   #77
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I love racing. I don't much love giving money to rich people. How about Mr. Brabham ponies up £25 on my behalf? I am sure he has a lot more money than I do.

No "lame excuses" offered now or at any other time--unless my desire to actually pay what I owe to the people I owe in order to maintain a home, car, energy to run both, and food to run myself is all lame.

I even spend some of my meager left-over income on traveling to races.

I hope Mr. Brabham's project works because I like him and some of the views he has expressed, I respect him as a driver, and the family name carries so much magic.

If my refusal to give him cash for, quite possibly, nothing makes me "lame" or not a sports car fan, I guess I can live with that better than not having the cash to fill my tank to drive to the next race.
Old 11 Oct 2014, 09:14 (Ref:3463292)   #78
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Closing in on 180k. Is it me or has the timeframe been expanded?

It's been one of the fastest-growing campaigns on Indiegogo but unfortunately it will probably be a case of crawling across the line on this initial goal.

What happens next will be interesting - as by their own admission they need £2.5 million to source the factory and get the car. But if you need £8 million to make the whole thing happen, would you buy the car without the ability to run it?
Old 11 Oct 2014, 11:25 (Ref:3463308)   #79
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Closing in on 180k. Is it me or has the timeframe been expanded?

It's been one of the fastest-growing campaigns on Indiegogo but unfortunately it will probably be a case of crawling across the line on this initial goal.

What happens next will be interesting - as by their own admission they need £2.5 million to source the factory and get the car. But if you need £8 million to make the whole thing happen, would you buy the car without the ability to run it?
The big gap between the £250k and the next step is one of the reasons I don't see the purpose of this project.
Old 11 Oct 2014, 11:29 (Ref:3463310)   #80
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a win-win for them regardless as even if they "fail" the non-refundable money can be used in buying new yacht for the family...
Old 11 Oct 2014, 14:13 (Ref:3463342)   #81
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Well, I needed the night to mull over whether to part with the £25. I arrived back the next day and it was all sold out.

The other options are too rich for a mere sentimental purchase. And I'm not interested in having my face plastered on the wall of a garage or having to moderate a blasted forum. With all the shenanigans that goes on here, hey, they need to pay me to do that.

But they can count on something much more valuable than any dirty, grubby lump of cash. Something you just can't put a price on. My endless respect and good wishes for their heroic initiative.

Old 11 Oct 2014, 14:53 (Ref:3463349)   #82
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Well, I needed the night to mull over whether to part with the £25. I arrived back the next day and it was all sold out.
There's barely any difference between the £25 packages. All the early bird entitles you to is emails for the length of the project from what I can see. You get no real access to the team.

If you don't want to donate that's fine but that's not really a reason not to if you look at what you're actually getting (nothing). You're reward is the warm fuzzy feeling of helping.
Old 11 Oct 2014, 15:06 (Ref:3463352)   #83
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
There's barely any difference between the £25 packages. All the early bird entitles you to is emails for the length of the project from what I can see. You get no real access to the team.

If you don't want to donate that's fine but that's not really a reason not to if you look at what you're actually getting (nothing). You're reward is the warm fuzzy feeling of helping.
Some people are alluding to that this is a con. That's unfair. They are being upfront about what they are about and they aren't promising you'll get your money back, still less gain a profit. And that's fine. After that it's up to the individual, I don't have the spare cash to spend on sentimental things and I'm as happy as a clam being a passive fan atm.

I don't think David Brabham is wealthy either not withstanding any recent inheritance. He'll work hard, afterall it's his own surname on the doorway.

Last edited by Paradise City; 11 Oct 2014 at 15:13.
Old 12 Oct 2014, 00:38 (Ref:3463550)   #84
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post

I don't think David Brabham is wealthy either not withstanding any recent inheritance. He'll work hard, afterall it's his own surname on the doorway.

I remember reading a interview over lunch in Motorsport magazine with Brabs where he claimed that he wasn't poor but he certainly didn't make a lot of money in his career. And I'm inclined to believe that if you look at where he's driven over the years. Anyway my point is, he's not some multi multi millionaire that's asking people to sponsor the team because he doesn't want to himself, it seems as though he just can't do it. I'd be surprised if he wasn't putting in his own money to get this thing off the ground.

Well as a long term fan of Brabs and the Brabham name I'm more then happy to throw some money in to see if this can get off the ground.
Old 12 Oct 2014, 00:42 (Ref:3463553)   #85
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Check out the new 65 GBP level donation, they offer some nice goodies! Less money goes to the project that means but still...
Old 12 Oct 2014, 13:26 (Ref:3464010)   #86
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I remember reading a interview over lunch in Motorsport magazine with Brabs where he claimed that he wasn't poor but he certainly didn't make a lot of money in his career. And I'm inclined to believe that if you look at where he's driven over the years. Anyway my point is, he's not some multi multi millionaire that's asking people to sponsor the team because he doesn't want to himself, it seems as though he just can't do it. I'd be surprised if he wasn't putting in his own money to get this thing off the ground.

Well as a long term fan of Brabs and the Brabham name I'm more then happy to throw some money in to see if this can get off the ground.
David Brabham always reminds me of John Andretti. Very congenial, very talented, does 'OK' financially but not first in the queue for the family inheritance so has to do alot of heavy lifting to develop their careers. Both are trying to support their own kids to extend the point.

I'd speculate David is using some of his own money to support his son and is perhaps using a slice of his inheritance to spark this? I might be misreading that of course.
Old 19 Oct 2014, 03:33 (Ref:3466359)   #87
Finski
Rookie

Finland
Australia
Finski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am thoroughly looking forward to seeing the progress with this. The reason I donated? I am a huge fan of Jack Brabham, even though it was way before my time, I love motorsports history and he was a legend. I think this is the only name I'd donate towards, I have a tribute to jack hung up on my wall as you walk into my house. If this works, I will find great enjoyment seeing how the team is run and built and being apart of bringing back such a great name.
Old 1 Nov 2014, 22:51 (Ref:3470598)   #88
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently Brabs is looking at the HPD. Not surprising given his ties to Highcroft and ESM in the past.
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/s...rday-notebook/
Old 4 Nov 2014, 08:41 (Ref:3471466)   #89
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 9 grand left to go now for the first phase. Although I believe they've extended the time period for a second time.
Old 4 Nov 2014, 14:22 (Ref:3471522)   #90
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What's the point of deadline if you're always gonna re-extend it until the goal is reached anyway?
Old 4 Nov 2014, 15:19 (Ref:3471535)   #91
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The "deadline" motivates and demarcates.

Pretty obviously no sane businessman is going to shut down his enterprise if he is 99 percent there on the "deadline" day, but having a "deadline" inspires activity ("Let's work extra hard and finish by the deadline") and also is needed to construct a sellable business plan.

No one is going to sign on ato somerthing completley open-eneded ("We will probably finsih this phase eventually, and then we will start the next phase which will last ... uhhh, I don't know ... and then we will start the final phase which ends ... whenever.")
Old 7 Nov 2014, 13:47 (Ref:3472490)   #92
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Early reports that Caterham are trying to crowd-fund themselves back onto the grid for Abu Dhabi.
Old 7 Nov 2014, 14:13 (Ref:3472499)   #93
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Early reports that Caterham are trying to crowd-fund themselves back onto the grid for Abu Dhabi.
One may laugh, but end of season efforts to stay afloat often involve a bit of creativity. Recall Pescarolo's long shot at the 1982 WEC drivers title involving Rondeau selling an M379(?) to a Japanese collector on the proviso that Henri could drive it around Fuji while delivering it.

Think I'll be funding Mars One and Project Brabham before Caterham...
Old 7 Nov 2014, 15:02 (Ref:3472511)   #94
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
One may laugh, but end of season efforts to stay afloat often involve a bit of creativity. Recall Pescarolo's long shot at the 1982 WEC drivers title involving Rondeau selling an M379(?) to a Japanese collector on the proviso that Henri could drive it around Fuji while delivering it.

Think I'll be funding Mars One and Project Brabham before Caterham...
There's a school of thought Caterham are simply trying to fund the final race, allowing them to pick up the cash for 10th in the constructors and then fold.
Old 7 Nov 2014, 15:09 (Ref:3472514)   #95
Deleted
Veteran

In order to pick up the 10th place 1Malaysia/Caterham/whatever would still have to beat Sauber's best non-scoring-place, because even though Marussia had to abandon the prize money it actually earned at Monaco (crappy rules they have up there), they'd still remain 9th assuming the other two don't score at least 2 points. Right?

Why are we talking about this?
Old 7 Nov 2014, 15:18 (Ref:3472516)   #96
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
In order to pick up the 10th place 1Malaysia/Caterham/whatever would still have to beat Sauber's best non-scoring-place, because even though Marussia had to abandon the prize money it actually earned at Monaco (crappy rules they have up there), they'd still remain 9th assuming the other two don't score at least 2 points. Right?

Why are we talking about this?
It is off-topic but because Marussia aren't finishing out the season their points don't count, effectively erasing them from the championship. That's what F1 pundits are saying anyway.
Old 7 Nov 2014, 15:26 (Ref:3472521)   #97
Deleted
Veteran

Well isn't that stupid.
Old 7 Nov 2014, 16:25 (Ref:3472534)   #98
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
It is off-topic but because Marussia aren't finishing out the season their points don't count, effectively erasing them from the championship. That's what F1 pundits are saying anyway.
The points are good, formal and written into history. But they don't get any prize money because they haven't finished the season.
Old 8 Nov 2014, 00:46 (Ref:3472663)   #99
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Caterham just need to pay the administrators, get cars on the grid, start the race and will get 10th in the constructors with no more Marussia. The prize money is something like $11million. The amazing thing is that of me writing this, they have £317,000+ from 720 donors in about 1 day while Brabham has £245,000 from 2580 donors in over a month.
Old 8 Nov 2014, 14:17 (Ref:3472829)   #100
Deleted
Veteran

The power of F1, and their influence on media makes the difference. Big TV stations will likely flood it as well on their broadcasts. The people who have heard (/care) of Prabham & Perrinn & whatever projects are in obscure minority to those who now know of this, even in one day's time...