Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 5 Dec 2019, 20:41 (Ref:3945053)   #101
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
There’s even a letter in Autosport this week from Mike Blanchett, who was joint managing director of Lola Cars. He is ‘pulling up’ the magazine for not criticising the film (in their review) for ignoring Eric Broadley’s part in the project....

The Lola Mk6 GT that John Mecom developed (and fitted with a Chevrolet engine ) is, in my opinion, one of the best looking GT cars ever....
Old 5 Dec 2019, 21:28 (Ref:3945065)   #102
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
There’s even a letter in Autosport this week from Mike Blanchett, who was joint managing director of Lola Cars. He is ‘pulling up’ the magazine for not criticising the film (in their review) for ignoring Eric Broadley’s part in the project....

The Lola Mk6 GT that John Mecom developed (and fitted with a Chevrolet engine ) is, in my opinion, one of the best looking GT cars ever....
The film should have been called 'The Ken Miles Carrol Shelby story', not an accurate story of the birth and history of the GT40 but a bloody good film . To tell an accurate story would have taken at least twice as long, it fairly covers the period Shelby started to get realy involved, doesn't cover the period when Henry Ford went ballistic when the French declared Bruce the winner, Ford then instructed Shelby to build a totally American car and drivers then when it crossed the finishing line first, closed the whole operation down and sacked everyone.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 6 Dec 2019, 10:52 (Ref:3945151)   #103
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's a huge amount that it doesn't tell and other elements that it doesn't tell accurately. But I still enjoyed it immensely. I suspect Leo Beebe's family enjoyed it rather less....
Old 6 Dec 2019, 11:25 (Ref:3945159)   #104
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
There's a huge amount that it doesn't tell and other elements that it doesn't tell accurately. But I still enjoyed it immensely. I suspect Leo Beebe's family enjoyed it rather less....
Someone had to play the villain..... Non Le Mans viewers would be oblivious to the omissions, and if the film was any longer it would need a comfort break in the middle!
Old 6 Dec 2019, 11:41 (Ref:3945162)   #105
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
After all the comments on here decided tot visit the cinema again tot see all the details Found out the movie was not popular in my town. They were not showing it anymore.☹️
Old 6 Dec 2019, 11:42 (Ref:3945164)   #106
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Someone had to play the villain..... Non Le Mans viewers would be oblivious to the omissions, and if the film was any longer it would need a comfort break in the middle!
Must admit did thoroughly enjoy it, did take me back to early racing days and yes, it would have needed twice the viewing time and an intermission and been a flop except for purists petrol heads to tell the whole story, let's hope for a sequel.
Old 6 Dec 2019, 15:01 (Ref:3945223)   #107
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Falce View Post
Must admit did thoroughly enjoy it, did take me back to early racing days and yes, it would have needed twice the viewing time and an intermission and been a flop except for purists petrol heads to tell the whole story, let's hope for a sequel.
or better still a prequel of the 59 race and Aston win
Old 6 Dec 2019, 19:03 (Ref:3945262)   #108
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A little bit of recently acquired (and real) Le Mans '66 memorabilia......
Attached Images

Old 6 Dec 2019, 21:44 (Ref:3945282)   #109
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Wonder if anyone on the forum was actually there?
Old 7 Dec 2019, 08:17 (Ref:3945329)   #110
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not me, I was one tests old.
Old 7 Dec 2019, 08:30 (Ref:3945332)   #111
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well my dad was nine, so I am excluded as well
Old 7 Dec 2019, 10:03 (Ref:3945338)   #112
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well i was 6 at the time so suspect i had never even heard of Le mans at the time.
Old 7 Dec 2019, 10:11 (Ref:3945340)   #113
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was 11 and we had daily reports at school pinned to the notice board. Obviously testing and qualifying. Couldn't get the race result until Monday. Made queing for lunch more interesting.
Old 7 Dec 2019, 11:49 (Ref:3945355)   #114
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I was 11 and we had daily reports at school pinned to the notice board. Obviously testing and qualifying. Couldn't get the race result until Monday. Made queing for lunch more interesting.
Love that Peter I was 9 and I doubt that I'd heard of Le Mans then. It didn't really register until my Dad made his one and only visit to the race in 1970.
Old 7 Dec 2019, 12:10 (Ref:3945356)   #115
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I suspect it was our Physics teacher who was the enthusiast although I never found out. I do recall one of the reports showing a picture of the Dunlop Bridge in its (obviously) old configuration. Wandsworth Comprehensive in case you are wondering.
Old 7 Dec 2019, 12:38 (Ref:3945358)   #116
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just saw it. Loved it. Great acting, production values, (although I could tell some of the shots that they used Road America dressed up as the Le Mans circuit rather than actually using the Circuit La Sarthe instead) sound/music and retelling the story. Highly recommended.
Old 7 Dec 2019, 13:04 (Ref:3945361)   #117
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Wonder if anyone on the forum was actually there?
I was not so far, in the town center but 4 years old too young and I dn't remember my parents were fans!!!!
Old 7 Dec 2019, 15:11 (Ref:3945375)   #118
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was 12 and was certainly aware of the race. I still have my Castrol Achievement book for 1965 which has photos of Sprites at Le Sarthe.

Sean
Old 8 Dec 2019, 20:09 (Ref:3945618)   #119
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude2cv View Post
I was 12 and was certainly aware of the race. I still have my Castrol Achievement book for 1965 which has photos of Sprites at Le Sarthe.

Sean
Ah! Castrol Achievement booklets! Your post made me dig out mine from 1957 and 1959. I've also started re-reading Anthony Pritchard's "Ford vs Ferrari - the battle for Le Mans".

For the record I was 18 at the time of the '66 race and remember being glued to (I think) the BBC Light Programme for hourly updates through the night.
Old 9 Dec 2019, 17:24 (Ref:3945764)   #120
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Today’s blipshift shirt fits well in this thread:

https://www.blipshift.com/products/m...eid=9742a2d45f
Old 9 Dec 2019, 21:33 (Ref:3945818)   #121
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Today’s blipshift shirt fits well in this thread:

https://www.blipshift.com/products/m...eid=9742a2d45f
Saw it.

Bought it.

That's my third LM related Blipshift shirt. They're really good.
Old 9 Dec 2019, 22:07 (Ref:3945822)   #122
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Saw it.

Bought it.

That's my third LM related Blipshift shirt. They're really good.
Will it be added to your collection or will you wear it?
Old 10 Dec 2019, 16:48 (Ref:3945955)   #123
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
It'll certainly be worn Simon - you'll see it next June.....
Old 11 Dec 2019, 04:10 (Ref:3946061)   #124
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've seen the movie three times now (It's the only movie I've ever seen in theaters three times) and it's still excellent. I've been telling everyone I know to see it.

Historical inaccuracies aside (There's only a couple that really bug me, TBH), they just made a really, really good film. In an age of stale superhero films and preachy political lambasting, truly good films are all too rare. The fact that it's a racing movie, about Le Mans, is just the icing on the cake.

I have to admit, I actually enjoy the Road Atlanta cameos. It's kinda fun to recognize the place from my trip to PLM in 2013.
Old 11 Dec 2019, 11:05 (Ref:3946115)   #125
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A short report from 1966 :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9tOmr5I8RE
(Already posted in the best sportcars videos thread)