Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Nov 2019, 11:51 (Ref:3942924)   #51
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MSUK seems to be getting a lot of flack here... and I'm not suggesting it isn't well deserved.

BUUUUUT... Dave Richards hasn't been at the helm for long yet, and he clearly is a very forward thinking guy - you only have to look at what he's achieved in previous positions to know that much. I think we need to give him a chance to see what he comes up with.

Yes, the change in the medicals won't save much, if anything, for most of us, when you factor in the increased cost of the licences. But I think it forms part of what, I hope, is the more common-sense approach to competing at club level that he claims to want to create. And I applaud that, at least. The vast majority of licence holders are people like us, who pay our own way to take part in what is, at the end of the day, a hobby.

I can't think (I'm sure someone will be along shortly to educate me...) of another hobby where participants are forced to use equipment that matches the same safety standards as those doing it professionally - yet, gradually, over the years, we have been forced to buy more and more equipment that meets FIA standards just to trundle around our local circuits at half the speed of the professionals. I think a relaxation of such regulations, within sensible and thought out limits, makes sense for most of us at club level. And it does appear as though this is beginning to happen within MSUK, so I think we should give them a chance and see what happens over the next couple of years.
Old 26 Nov 2019, 13:39 (Ref:3942949)   #52
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm a hillclimber rather than circuit, so probably smaller budget and less bang for buck (typical hillclimb weekend in the SW will be £140 entry fee for 6 minutes of time on the hill). My license is up to £149 from £96. Doesn't sound like a lot but add it to 12 events with a permit increase of £5 and I've basically lost the cost of an entry.

For me, the most infuriating thing is that all the press releases recently have been about promoting grassroots and making it cheaper. So when the permit went up by £5 I thought it was a good move towards pay to play (as they put it). But actually it's a case of pay to be at the game, and then pay to play as well. And the very place it's hitting is grassroots level. So yes, they've relaxed the requirements of Nomex for road cars to Proban but that only effects new blood, the rest of us already have the expensive stuff. To me it seems like existing members are having to pay to attract new people to the sport.
Old 26 Nov 2019, 15:36 (Ref:3942972)   #53
tim dodwell
Racer

tim dodwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just checked with the licence renewal team at MSUK, and medicals for a 2020 licence must have to be within 3 months of 1/1/20 - unlike last year.
Old 26 Nov 2019, 17:38 (Ref:3943006)   #54
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim dodwell View Post
Just checked with the licence renewal team at MSUK, and medicals for a 2020 licence must have to be within 3 months of 1/1/20 - unlike last year.
We need to be clear- the medical requirements for International licences have not changed, it’s only National ones.....
Old 26 Nov 2019, 18:56 (Ref:3943030)   #55
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Snoody, do you need an A licence then? In the karting world we've been advised not to take one out unless doing the British Championship to save money.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 26 Nov 2019, 19:49 (Ref:3943041)   #56
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Snoody, do you need an A licence then? In the karting world we've been advised not to take one out unless doing the British Championship to save money.
Sports libre over 1100cc needs a Nat A (or whatever the new version is), so basically anything. Yet modified production can run a Nat B regardless. So you could have a guy in a Westfield with a V8 in it or a turbocharged hayabusa and he could run on the cheaper license (amongst other benefits) just because the chassis was at some point meant for the road.

Tim will be able to tell you about how awkward hillclimbing can be if you don't have something completely standard.
Old 26 Nov 2019, 20:18 (Ref:3943054)   #57
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's a bit bizarre, I must admit.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 27 Nov 2019, 17:55 (Ref:3943231)   #58
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
That's a bit bizarre, I must admit.
There's plenty bizarre about section S of the BB. We've been wearing flame retardant gloves for years, rally drivers can still drive with bare hands. On a hill I'm never out of sight of a marshal with an extinguisher, on a rally you can be upside down in a ditch and no one will know
Old 27 Nov 2019, 18:19 (Ref:3943234)   #59
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim dodwell View Post
That's no different from before though is it? If you had a medical on 1st January 2018 you could renew your license in December 2018 for the whole of 2019 without another medical. If you waited until the 2nd of January 2019 you would need to get another medical (as it would be over 12 months since the last one) and apply for your license within three months or the medical would cease to be valid.
Old 28 Nov 2019, 05:47 (Ref:3943319)   #60
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
That's no different from before though is it? If you had a medical on 1st January 2018 you could renew your license in December 2018 for the whole of 2019 without another medical. If you waited until the 2nd of January 2019 you would need to get another medical (as it would be over 12 months since the last one) and apply for your license within three months or the medical would cease to be valid.
Actually.... No. Just to clarify again-

This is for existing NATIONAL licence holders-

No medical is required until age 65. This is then valid for 5 years.

In their 70th year, another medical is required, valid for 2 years.

At age 74, another medical is required, and annually thereafter. MSUK are requiring a NEW medical every year, so there is no opportunity to 'stretch' one over 2 seasons. I have confirmed this with the licence department.

I'm guessing the two posters on here that have brought the subject up are 'mature in years', so have been hit by the new requirement. It is ironic that if over 75 years old with an International licence, the opportunity to stretch a medical over 2 seasons still exists, but this is because their medical requirements are set by the FiA, not our national body.....
Old 28 Nov 2019, 08:17 (Ref:3943330)   #61
Johno.UK
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Actually.... No. Just to clarify again-
Yes I know all about the new age limits. I was assuming that the person posting about three month medicals was referring to someone who still fell into the category of needing a medical. My point was that the 3 month rule has always been there. If you wait more than three months between getting the medical and applying for the new license it's not valid.
Old 28 Nov 2019, 08:23 (Ref:3943331)   #62
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Yes I know all about the new age limits. I was assuming that the person posting about three month medicals was referring to someone who still fell into the category of needing a medical. My point was that the 3 month rule has always been there. If you wait more than three months between getting the medical and applying for the new license it's not valid.
Yes. The posters weren’t explicit.....
Old 6 Dec 2019, 15:37 (Ref:3945229)   #63
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The efficiency of the renewal department is as good as always- I completed the application on line over the weekend, and licence arrived today.
Old 6 Dec 2019, 16:04 (Ref:3945233)   #64
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The efficiency of the renewal department is as good as always- I completed the application on line over the weekend, and licence arrived today.
Mine should arrive soon - I completed my application on Monday and I've had the email to say it's been sent for printing I've renewed my club membership too - incredibly organised!
Old 6 Dec 2019, 16:51 (Ref:3945243)   #65
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Mine should arrive soon - I completed my application on Monday and I've had the email to say it's been sent for printing I've renewed my club membership too - incredibly organised!
When you get your licence, let us know if a biro works on the signature panel. Mine’s got a gloss finish and you can’t write on it!
Old 6 Dec 2019, 18:14 (Ref:3945254)   #66
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Still can't work out why I only get the online option to renew a rally licence - which I haven't held for 15 years or more, rather than the race licence that I've had for the last 10 years......

I'll have to ring them up, I guess.......
Old 6 Dec 2019, 18:46 (Ref:3945258)   #67
Johno.UK
Racer

Quote:
When you get your licence, let us know if a biro works on the signature panel. Mine’s got a gloss finish and you can’t write on it!
Mines gloss on the front and a satin finish on the back which took a biro well.
Old 6 Dec 2019, 18:49 (Ref:3945259)   #68
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Mines gloss on the front and a satin finish on the back which took a biro well.
Mine was waiting on the doormat when I got home - full gloss, biro doesn't work.
Old 6 Dec 2019, 19:21 (Ref:3945266)   #69
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Mine was waiting on the doormat when I got home - full gloss, biro doesn't work.
Bingo! Something has gone wrong during the printing process.....

I’ve emailed to advise them, so will see what response I get next week.....

Last edited by Mike Bell; 6 Dec 2019 at 19:37.
Old 7 Dec 2019, 19:26 (Ref:3945399)   #70
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
My quil I still loaded with squid ink at present, will that work?
Old 9 Dec 2019, 14:02 (Ref:3945722)   #71
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
New licence on the way- apparently a batch of about 10 had a problem during the printing process.

Will be it become a collectors item like mis-printed stamps or banknotes?
Old 9 Dec 2019, 14:43 (Ref:3945728)   #72
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
New licence on the way- apparently a batch of about 10 had a problem during the printing process.

I'll drop them an email. Either that or just sign it with a Sharpie
Old 10 Dec 2019, 16:41 (Ref:3945953)   #73
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:

I've had a response - they'll send me a replacement if I send them a photo of my licence cut in half. Seems extreme!
Old 10 Dec 2019, 16:48 (Ref:3945956)   #74
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Send me a new one, or the licence gets it!
Old 10 Dec 2019, 16:51 (Ref:3945957)   #75
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Interesting! I didn’t get that demand when I spoke to them.... As your photo is on the back and the licence can’t be signed it’s not a lot of use to anyone else.