Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Mar 2020, 12:33 (Ref:3967343)   #101
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
At least F1 has tried in recent times to have more interaction with fans, with autograph sessions and the like
Old 28 Mar 2020, 14:04 (Ref:3967356)   #102
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
IIRC there were always autograph sessions at GPs but additionally we had free pitlane access at the end of practice and qualifying days.
Old 28 Mar 2020, 14:31 (Ref:3967366)   #103
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think there is this stuff at many GP. It's all a bit orgnaised at specific times, but that's just being pragmatic about it.

I'm afraid there has to be some restrictions. The sheer volumes and potential for it to be spoilt by a few are too great.

The other side of this has been increased accessibility away from the track (TV and now other media). Although we've gone backwards on the TV front a little
Old 28 Mar 2020, 14:48 (Ref:3967369)   #104
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Agreed, I was just making the point that things aren't new.
Old 28 Mar 2020, 16:26 (Ref:3967392)   #105
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
Did you ever ask one of the old time mechanics how much they enjoyed being out of a job at the end of the racing season?I agree that the barriers are too impenetrable these days and the retinue of hangers on has become much too large.

No I didn't - but, sadly , being laid off at the employer's whim wasn't unique to motor racing. The old mechanics I have talked to- like Bob Dance - don't seem to harbour many bitter memories I must say .

I certainly don't miss many things about motor racing in the past (dire catering , desultory safety and sometimes chaotic organisation) but , so far as Grands Prix are concerned , I miss a helluva lot actually .

Such as affordability, access , track proximity , spectacle, noise and the fact that, to a large extent , I was with fellow enthusiasts who loved motor racing , and not selfie seeking , celeb obsessed 'fans' whose interest in the sport begins and ends with F1
Old 28 Mar 2020, 22:07 (Ref:3967444)   #106
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
He actually ran FOM from a room in his London home - not his Biggin Hill office that was his investment group's H/Q - and he did so with the aid of just one personal assistant.
Other than working out of his house, that describes most executives. What did the structure look like below him? Everyone can't report to the top.

Note, I am not trying to take anything away from him. I have no doubt he is a force. I am just saying, no single individual can do it all in a sizable organization.

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 28 Mar 2020 at 22:13.
Old 29 Mar 2020, 00:45 (Ref:3967454)   #107
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
Did you ever ask one of the old time mechanics how much they enjoyed being out of a job at the end of the racing season?I agree that the barriers are too impenetrable these days and the retinue of hangers on has become much too large.

Yeah just ask Bernie's ol employees, Charlie Whiting(difficult), Herbie Blash, they did just fine out of Bernie shutting his team down. In all fairness to Bernie, he looked after a lot of people he didn't have to.
Old 29 Mar 2020, 11:20 (Ref:3967522)   #108
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Other than working out of his house, that describes most executives. What did the structure look like below him? Everyone can't report to the top.

Note, I am not trying to take anything away from him. I have no doubt he is a force. I am just saying, no single individual can do it all in a sizable organization.

Richard

Richard, that was all there was as far as running FOM was concerned; one could almost say it was one man and his dog! There was no one other than his PA. FOM only expanded beyond the two of them from the moment that Liberty took over, leasing grand office space in the most expensive part of London, and taking on loads of staff to do all the work that, basically, one man had done before.

Of course, he also employed others, such as the team that drove, erected and worked in his hospitality unit at meetings. But as far as any work connected with how F1 was run commercially was concerned, it was pretty well all done personally by Mr E. He, single-handed, negotiated all contracts, from Concorde Agreements to circuit sanctioning fees to track side advertising, and so on.
Old 29 Mar 2020, 11:28 (Ref:3967523)   #109
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Yeah just ask Bernie's ol employees, Charlie Whiting(difficult), Herbie Blash, they did just fine out of Bernie shutting his team down. In all fairness to Bernie, he looked after a lot of people he didn't have to.

Mr E was probably the most generous hearted person that worked in the world of F1, provided that you didn't cross him in public. Over the years he has bailed out several teams, most recently (a couple of years ago) when he paid the wages of one the struggling teams for a couple (or possibly more) months- I cannot remember which one at present.

And he always did so without seeking attention.
Old 29 Mar 2020, 12:12 (Ref:3967525)   #110
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Of course, he also employed others,
I am not trying to be a jerk, but that is my point. While he may have been primary negotiator on contracts, I doubt he drafted final text, I doubt he did his own accounting work, etc. The list goes on. I have personally worked for someone in the past who came from the same mold and have great respect for this person. They were deeply involved in everything, but, it required a group of people under him to make it happen and not just anyone can work for a boss like that. My point is you can't parachute someone like that into an existing organization and expect the current staff to sync up with that type of management style.

New owners are highly likely to bring in a number of their own people at the top. Such as I expect Liberty has done. I expect that group may not mesh well with BE and I expect BE would want to make changes.

I suspect we both agree and our differences may just be semantics.

Richard
Old 29 Mar 2020, 12:34 (Ref:3967529)   #111
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He may have had scores of lawyers, accountants, and bankers, but surely BE bribed them all by himself!
Old 29 Mar 2020, 14:10 (Ref:3967538)   #112
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Richard, I think that to just finish this discussion off, it would be fair to just say that Mr E was the sole decision maker, and that any work that was done for and on behalf of FOM was at the direct instruction of Mr. E. As you say, he may not have personally drafted every bit of paper that flowed from FOM, but he did personally approve them after they had been drafted and before they went out to the recipient.
Old 29 Mar 2020, 15:37 (Ref:3967554)   #113
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

I don't think you understood my original reference.In bygone times it was common for the smaller teams to dismiss their mechanics at the end of the season.There was often a vague promise to hire them again for the following season.It certainly went on into the eighties.Compensating employees who have been made redundant was a more recent thing and it only applied to those with more than 2 years in a job.I know the same sort of thing was still happening in F3 in the nineties because the son of an acquaintance finished an apprenticeship in car mechanics and fancied a switch to racing.It was made clear to him that the job finished after the last race of the season.Fortunately by that time he managed to find another job a bit further up the motorsport ladder and moved on seamlessly.

I seriously doubt that Bernie's style of management could come back to a company quoted on a stock exchange.For one thing the "key man" insurance might be prohibitively expensive and for another all the finances would have to be open.On the other hand,if it was taken private anything might happen.It certainly doesn't benefit from being run by somebody who thinks a "Superbowl" is something to inflict on the host nation every couple of weeks.I suppose an American background isn't really ideal because geographically they are isolated from so much of the world and consequently out of step with it.
Old 30 Jun 2020, 02:55 (Ref:3984584)   #114
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Speaking about management of F1

The Cheque's in The Post:

https://www.pitpass.com/66916/The-Cheques-In-The-Post

"The problem being that if the presentations are slick enough, and the legalese smooth and confusing enough, one starts to believe one's own myths.

At which point the beauty of the new myth overwhelms the truth, and all parties commence believing that most classic of business myths, being that brutal misdirection… "The cheque's in the post"."

Old 30 Jun 2020, 03:11 (Ref:3984587)   #115
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What a thoroughly unenjoyable read.
Old 30 Jun 2020, 05:26 (Ref:3984591)   #116
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Max Noble isn't the greatest fan of the current F1 management, so he won't paint a rosy picture. But yes it is a gamble. It won't take much for a lockdown to be re-imposed as Leicester is finding out.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 30 Jun 2020, 06:45 (Ref:3984598)   #117
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
I’d hardly heard of the website before. A relationship the author mirrors with motorsport I assume, judging from some of the so-called facts totally miscalled.

I’m embarrassed for the author.

Anyone have any idea what a “national boarder” is?
Old 30 Jun 2020, 06:55 (Ref:3984600)   #118
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Pitpass was, for a long time, Mr E's side vehicle for getting F1 "news" out via one of the writers who has since moved on to bigger things, whilst still seeming rather overly critical.

Sounds like they've carried on in the same vein!
Old 30 Jun 2020, 10:36 (Ref:3984664)   #119
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it was an amusing article if a little wayward!
Old 30 Jun 2020, 11:35 (Ref:3984682)   #120
Richard C
Veteran

I was reading it and kept hoping for something of substance. Then eventually just scanned it. It seemed a bit Monty Python... Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more?

Richard
Old 30 Jun 2020, 16:03 (Ref:3984758)   #121
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
what would the 'sliding doors' scenario be if BE was in charge during the pandemic?
Old 30 Jun 2020, 16:40 (Ref:3984773)   #122
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
what would the 'sliding doors' scenario be if BE was in charge during the pandemic?
My initial thought is that broadly not much. In that I don't think we would be racing now, or significantly sooner than current plans. Generally speaking the sport and business of F1 is mostly at the mercy of how well the various world governments are able to deal with the pandemic.

What I do think is that BE might be much more vocal about moving things forward than we have now. But note, I don't expect it would help and we might have more "Helmut Marko... infect them" types of ideas flowing from him. And those would bring harmful negative press and show he is very out of step with modern times/reality. His recent diversity comments are an example of why it's good he is not involved.

Richard
Old 30 Jun 2020, 16:55 (Ref:3984775)   #123
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I agree, in the circumstances Liberty have handled it well. Bernie hasn’t exactly proved to be the right man for this sort of crisis
Old 30 Jun 2020, 21:30 (Ref:3984823)   #124
Richard C
Veteran

I just ran across this...

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/5...d-a-job-in-f1/

BE, the master of details! Frankly, it was a bit sad reading that story. It does explain why they kept him around. It was purely contractual (he came with the sale) and only as long as to satisfy those requirements.

Richard
Old 30 Jun 2020, 23:41 (Ref:3984835)   #125
S griffin
Veteran

I wonder if Bernie is playing dumb to get sympathy