Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Dec 2008, 21:45 (Ref:2360438)   #76
stigette
Rookie

stigette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about the Sierra that upon post race inspection was found to have an empty BCF extinguisher in the passenger footwell with a copper pipe running from it into the engine bay......I hear BCF is good for cooling intercoolers......
Old 31 Dec 2008, 03:50 (Ref:2363153)   #77
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just another of the Turbo/Wastegate mysteries for us to share:

My dad used to work for Repco Machine Shops and did a little work with some the mitsubishi Starion guys.

The Starion has a button and a remote control for the rear demister. The driver could use the remote instead of the button on the dash, to operate the demister.

Apparently quite often the Mitsubishi guys would stand in the pits and use the remote when the car was going past to operate the "demister", that was actually also wired to a wastegate dump. This apparently got around the rule of "operating a wastegate dump from inside the cockpit".

Sneaky indeed!
Old 27 Sep 2012, 23:15 (Ref:3142760)   #78
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Golden Olden Day "Shortcuts"

Not sure if this has been done before, or if this thread will have any legs, but would people give quick rundowns on what was "allegedly" done by competitors in the Group C and A days to get an advantage and other such rumours, for the benefit of the youngsters who have never heard of it, and the oldies for a bit of reminiscing? Maybe even throw in a few modern-ish versions.

Eg Acid dipped parts, fuel in the roll cage tubing, Larry having a perve at Lowndes' undercarriage after the Calder rollover etc...
Old 27 Sep 2012, 23:43 (Ref:3142762)   #79
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are a few well-documented rule interpretations that generated from the Gibson Motorsport facilities.

Things like switched with obvious markings, that did not-so-obvious things, cars they should or should have been in posession of in the first place, and whether the overseas model did in fact have a multi-link IRS setup...
Old 28 Sep 2012, 00:39 (Ref:3142780)   #80
Scrut
Racer

Australia
Australia
Scrut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
6 speed gearbox and 2" wider flares on Moff's RX7.

Ford Sierra team with a fire extingusher mounted in from of the intercooler with switch in the cockpit. We usefull for a few extra
horsepower down conrod straight.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 00:46 (Ref:3142782)   #81
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the fuel in the roll cage is a Nascar trick - Google Smokey Yunick if you want to read some CRACKING stories about creative rule interpretation in motorsport. From building a 3/4 scale car, to driving a car away from scrutineering that had no fuel tank in it, that guy was an evil genius.

Schnitzer, Eggenberger and Walkinshaw all got pulled up for "grey areas" which given the state of scrutineering in Europe were pretty wide.

Panels acid dipped to within an inch of its life, wheels significantly larger than allowed & bodywork to match, hot fuels. Not to mention manufacturers who flat out never made enough Evolution cars, but threatened to take their bat and ball and go home...

Of course when you get to a car as complicated as the GTR, how do you effectively scrutineer it?
Old 28 Sep 2012, 01:05 (Ref:3142788)   #82
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If my memory serves me correct, there was a Bluebird that may have used a fire extinguisher on the intercooler to score a pole position.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 01:44 (Ref:3142796)   #83
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember the boot panels on the EB and EL Falcons being light
Old 28 Sep 2012, 01:47 (Ref:3142798)   #84
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Also with the GrpC days I don't think there was so much of an issue with people doing things they were not allowed to do, as being allowed to homologate stuff they probably shouldn't have, and perpetuating the imbalances.

I'm a bit too young to have "been there" but I've done a lot of reading and this is the impression I get.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 02:05 (Ref:3142802)   #85
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW M3s that placed 1st through 6th in the 1987 WTCC got disqualified for illegal panels (roof and bootlids I think?) handing victory to Moffatt and Harvey in the first of the Brock-built VL Group A Commodores.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 02:22 (Ref:3142806)   #86
Scrut
Racer

Australia
Australia
Scrut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by db120176 View Post
I remember the boot panels on the EB and EL Falcons being light
Every panel was pressed using a lighter gauge steel.
I beleive the window glass was even thiner than standard.
Old 28 Sep 2012, 03:14 (Ref:3142817)   #87
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was it Larry that had a delay in the brakelight wiring?
Old 28 Sep 2012, 03:37 (Ref:3142824)   #88
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wasn't there a thread floating around in the recent past about this kind of stuff?
Old 28 Sep 2012, 04:17 (Ref:3142831)   #89
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently a proddy racer could adjust the rev limit via the radio tuner
Old 28 Sep 2012, 04:26 (Ref:3142834)   #90
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TWR XJS door panels.
the odd alloy block was used in Clevlands .
Old 28 Sep 2012, 05:24 (Ref:3142848)   #91
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors View Post
BMW M3s that placed 1st through 6th in the 1987 WTCC got disqualified for illegal panels (roof and bootlids I think?) handing victory to Moffatt and Harvey in the first of the Brock-built VL Group A Commodores.
i was told some of the BMWs that made it over here, were adjustable by radio/remote control making a mockery of the " no cockpit adjustmants to be made" rule
Old 28 Sep 2012, 07:07 (Ref:3142881)   #92
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moffat droping the upper control arms 1 inch to fool scrutineers, but gave the car a great advantage on the track

One of Brocks car 'allegedly' had something in a roll cage, I also heard Moffat did as well.

Oh and Peter Brock ran a Polariser -
Old 28 Sep 2012, 10:51 (Ref:3143022)   #93
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev View Post
Oh and Peter Brock ran a Polariser -
In the "Rise and Fall of Peter Brock" book, Mr Harvey recalls having a Polariser in his car too, til one day it loosened from its mounting bracket, and ended up under his feet. Duly flung out the window, the car's times got worse as a result
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 28 Sep 2012, 12:15 (Ref:3143090)   #94
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
Was it Larry that had a delay in the brakelight wiring?
This.

From memory the Perkins cars were caught with this at the Albert Park GP in the late 90's. A resistor in the wiring that delayed the brakelights by a few tenths.

Absolutely ingenious idea!
Old 28 Sep 2012, 12:40 (Ref:3143118)   #95
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There were stories of an ETCC entrant who spent several days testing modifications to the rear wing in order to produce something that was undetectable by the scrutineers unless they went looking for it. After a tip off, one of the other manufacturers protested it after first qualifying. The team were forced to replace the dodgy wing with one taken from the road cars in the paddock, wherupon the cars went over ½ second quicker...
Old 28 Sep 2012, 16:20 (Ref:3143291)   #96
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weren't TWR notorious for homologating the Rovers & Jaguars with bits supposedly fitted to cars sold in Africa (wider wheel arches etc...), it led to them being referred to as "Third World Racing"

Wasn't there also a rumour that Gibson Motorsport had played with the fuel tank at Bathurst in 1995?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I think the fuel in the roll cage is a Nascar trick - Google Smokey Yunick if you want to read some CRACKING stories about creative rule interpretation in motorsport. From building a 3/4 scale car, to driving a car away from scrutineering that had no fuel tank in it, that guy was an evil genius.
In his book, Smokey refutes both these stories
Old 29 Sep 2012, 00:14 (Ref:3143482)   #97
Umai Naa
Veteran

Fred Gibson apprently cleared up the whole fuel tank thing by saying that they had altered the mixtures off-throttle, and programmed in a rev limiter they could utilize under safety cars, etc.

The rev limiter was subsequently banned.
Old 29 Sep 2012, 04:44 (Ref:3143542)   #98
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
This.

From memory the Perkins cars were caught with this at the Albert Park GP in the late 90's. A resistor in the wiring that delayed the brakelights by a few tenths.

Absolutely ingenious idea!
Early noughties was when this happened. They were caught totally red handed by the onboard data monitor. At the time, Larry denied personal knowledge but accepted that the team had done it and copped the penalty.

Team member who did it later worked for Team Dynamik and ran a certain well-known test at Woomera.
Old 29 Sep 2012, 04:47 (Ref:3143545)   #99
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
In his book, Smokey refutes both these stories
I take it that you mean the 'fuel in cage' and 'scale car' stories? He is widely quoted including on video on the story of driving the car away from technical inspection with no fuel tank in it. A l-o-n-g fuel line that could hold a gallon or so of fuel was how that worked.
Old 29 Sep 2012, 05:47 (Ref:3143562)   #100
lshnz
Rookie

lshnz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some Sierras had a tyre valve fitted to inflate a bladder inside fuel tank to restrict capacity to 120 litres when scrutineered,rumor of one of Brock's Commodres with bigger motor init(1987 Bathurst)and broke a timing chain at the top of the mountain and still made it back to the pits hence did not finish-did not get check,,rumor back in Phase 3 days in qualifing would have a water tank on board to keep up to weight limit and would dump water on the way up the mountain once on the track????These last 2 are rumors I have heard from more than one source.