Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Sep 2012, 10:40 (Ref:3143643)   #101
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Wasn't there a thread floating around in the recent past about this kind of stuff?
Yes. Done before and in quite some detail.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111304
Old 30 Sep 2012, 13:13 (Ref:3144126)   #102
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Allegedly regarding Volvo 240T homologation:

Quote:
The cars were lined up in the USA for inspection by the FIA, the first row of cars ( approx. 30) was fitted with the Volvo Grp A competition kit rated at 225 hp @ 1.05 bar. These cars had the special parts, rear wing, water injection( the extra four injectors), large aluminum end tank intercooler,"220" cam, bigger radiator and turbo. The next couple of rows of cars had the competition kit in the trunk. It is rumored that not all the cars had the Grp A kit in the trunk as there were less than a couple hundred produced. After inspection the 30 or so cars with the competition kit fitted were shipped back to Europe because they would not pass the E.P.A requirements in that state of tune. The kits in the trunks of the cars were returned to Volvo competition, both the 30 cars and the kits were to be sold through the European dealer network. The remaining cars were sold in the USA by Volvo of north America.
Old 30 Sep 2012, 23:36 (Ref:3144349)   #103
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan Heaphy admitted recently that WGR fitted a device that dropped a couple of litres of water in front of the rear wheels at Bathurst 1995 allowing Wayne Gardner to charge to the lead from the 2nd row of the grid.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 00:22 (Ref:3144365)   #104
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How does water improve traction, surely it was something other than water?
Old 1 Oct 2012, 00:36 (Ref:3144367)   #105
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
Alan Heaphy admitted recently that WGR fitted a device that dropped a couple of litres of water in front of the rear wheels at Bathurst 1995 allowing Wayne Gardner to charge to the lead from the 2nd row of the grid.
I would have thought that Heaphy would have been happy for Captain Chaos to just get off the line without causing any dramas ?
Old 1 Oct 2012, 02:43 (Ref:3144404)   #106
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And the sad news is that this some of this sort of stuff still goes on in Historic Group A/C, but to a lesser extent.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 06:48 (Ref:3144457)   #107
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Towe View Post
And the sad news is that this some of this sort of stuff still goes on in Historic Group A/C, but to a lesser extent.
Name and shame.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 07:19 (Ref:3144471)   #108
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bailey View Post
Name and shame.
VL commodores running wheels that are too big and throttle bodies that are not period correct.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 1 Oct 2012, 08:09 (Ref:3144488)   #109
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bailey View Post
Name and shame.
Not a hope in hell, I've been told!!!
Old 1 Oct 2012, 08:26 (Ref:3144493)   #110
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

whether small or big cheating is still cheating. you should tell us so that we know who should be banned and we'll know that some of the winners have not been winning fairly.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 09:37 (Ref:3144518)   #111
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And the sad news is that this some of this sort of stuff still goes on in all forms racing, but to a lesser extent.
Fixed ... It always has and always will, motor racing is competitive and man will always look to creative means to improve performance while interpreting the rules just as creatively, you're free to put some of your cash up and protest at a race meeting if you want and take a stand against these cheats...

Last edited by St00ge; 1 Oct 2012 at 09:45. Reason: bip bop
Old 1 Oct 2012, 10:42 (Ref:3144542)   #112
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
st00ge, I realise you've made it obvious but please don't modify my post and post the modified version as if it was my quote.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 10:43 (Ref:3144543)   #113
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
The ex Gibson Bluebird still has the boost adjuster behind the ashtray.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 11:36 (Ref:3144570)   #114
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
st00ge, I realise you've made it obvious but please don't modify my post and post the modified version as if it was my quote.
Your objection is duly noted but I can't promise anything, this is the internet after all.

PS please take a bit of a joke less seriously...
Old 1 Oct 2012, 16:01 (Ref:3144701)   #115
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Now that's funny!

I don't know why they would bother.
Old 1 Oct 2012, 17:24 (Ref:3144733)   #116
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Now that's funny!

I guess it makes for an interesting dilemma if you've got a historic touring car and want to keep it as close to original spec as you can- I mean, if it was bent in period, do you run it as it was, or modify it so it's legal.....?
Old 1 Oct 2012, 23:36 (Ref:3144913)   #117
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
I guess it makes for an interesting dilemma if you've got a historic touring car and want to keep it as close to original spec as you can- I mean, if it was bent in period, do you run it as it was, or modify it so it's legal.....?
Excellent point, if you make it "legal" it is no longer "original".
Old 2 Oct 2012, 03:29 (Ref:3144985)   #118
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backagain View Post
If you make it "legal" it becomes illegal because it is no longer "original".

I just love historic racing rules!
Old 2 Oct 2012, 10:42 (Ref:3145120)   #119
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by St00ge View Post
Your objection is duly noted but I can't promise anything, this is the internet after all.

PS please take a bit of a joke less seriously...

I have no problem with a joke, I'm rarely serious anyway, but please don't modify my quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backagain View Post
Interesting question that many competitors in Group A/C still dispute. The ones who's car was cheating in the day want the right to continue the cheating today claiming it was "original". And those of us who's cars weren't cheating in the day want cars to run to the homologated rules. The dispute goes on to a degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Now that's funny!

The cheating these days takes the form of stroker engines, illegal suspension components or set up, illegal diffs and heads, more than the fuel tank capacity, fire extinguisher cheats of the day. With the shorter races we do these days, carrying an extra 10 litres of fuel is a hinderence not a benefit.
Old 3 Oct 2012, 01:30 (Ref:3145482)   #120
Mixer
Veteran

It doesn't matter what your racing series is like, people will cheat. In HQs there was a prominent and very successful racer and I bought his car when he moved to another category.

Dropped an oil pump first time out and had to rebuild it, found 5 things in the motor which were illegal, or so I thought. Turns out the registered engine builders/sealers have measurement tolerances which are not in the rule book. So the engine was built precisely to the book + tolerances. There was also funky stuff like internal manifold coatings, hand finished internals etc.

Had always thought his car sounded differently to everybody elses. I put it right and it cost about 10% of the horsepower or thereabouts.

Given that we're talking about all this in a 202, if I was going to spend all that money and dyno time I'd be in Commodore Cup or something more fun, but some people would rather be king of the kids.

And I never finished higher than 8th in that car after rebuilding the motor. Mind you I forced some rule clarifications of my own, in the chassis/suspension department, not the engine.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 08:53 (Ref:3146498)   #121
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mixer, I agree, even at club level it's amazing the lengths people will go to.

The nitrous in cages are part of Qld club racing folklore in Geminis & HQ's.. I used to race F Vees a while back & a favourite word bandied about was 'interpretation'... :-D
Old 5 Oct 2012, 22:17 (Ref:3146843)   #122
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan View Post
Mixer, I agree, even at club level it's amazing the lengths people will go to.

The nitrous in cages are part of Qld club racing folklore in Geminis & HQ's.. I used to race F Vees a while back & a favourite word bandied about was 'interpretation'... :-D
Agree with you and Mixer on this. I've personally never understood people who cheat as I don't see the point - if I won by cheating I wouldn't get the satisfaction from it but maybe that's just me.

Smart interpretation & being clever I don't really classify as cheating but NOs in cages etc, yeah, that's blatant.

Thing is, there are many people in motorsport who see cheating & fooling the authorities as a core part of the enjoyment of competing and for them, win lose or bust, getting away with the cheat is a big part of why they stay in the game.

I remember a well known driver from some time ago telling me on the quiet how he'd got away with a particular cheat. When I explained to him how that particular cheat would in fact make the car go slower in some situations, he was pretty quiet but then cheered up coz he'd still "beaten" the authorities by running it.
Old 5 Oct 2012, 23:27 (Ref:3146866)   #123
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I may have already posted this, when I crewed for one well know privateer in a Sierra we used to stuff some rolled up Fire fighting gloves down the side of the filler hose betwwen the tank shell and the bladder to reduce the amount the bladder could expand to bring it's capacity back into legal size.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 04:46 (Ref:3164833)   #124
nkr
Rookie

Australia
melbourne
nkr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The championship winning Shell Falcons of Johnson and Bowe had bonnets that were one inch shorter than standard to allow for better airflow into the engine's intake.

The results stood that year although DJR were forced to run the normal length bonnets once the irregularity was discovered.

this is not correct as i still do have a few of these bonnets in stock and they are the same as a road car bonnet they were made of ligth gauge steel and no sealers that was all
Old 10 Nov 2012, 04:49 (Ref:3164834)   #125
nkr
Rookie

Australia
melbourne
nkr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People wondered how Moff ran bigger rubber on the back of his coupes than anyone else. Apparently he pumped up the petrol tank untill they popped which narrowed the tank & then used a combination of the genuine inner rear guard panels swapped left front halve to right rear & vice versa, which gave him a mini tubbed rear area & didnt break the rules as no metal had been cut or added & used genuine parts.

not correct never did that the q/panels had lips folded and pumped on the xb xc was made with a even wider rear wheelarch as per homolation and they checked them at sandown