Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Jul 2018, 14:22 (Ref:3838506)   #126
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few images from Silverstone Classic copyright Peter Baker (www.retro-speed.co.uk).
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_7003.JPG   DSC_7084.JPG   DSC_7044.jpg  

DSC_7202.JPG   DSC_7192.JPG   DSC_7322.JPG  

Old 24 Jul 2018, 22:35 (Ref:3838621)   #127
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport have also done a bit of a write-up of the event which is available to those that haven't used up their 15 free articles this month

https://www.autosport.com/historics/...historic-debut
Old 25 Jul 2018, 05:11 (Ref:3838635)   #128
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
Autosport have also done a bit of a write-up of the event which is available to those that haven't used up their 15 free articles this month

https://www.autosport.com/historics/...historic-debut
That is a superb race report from someone who was obviously watching!
Old 25 Jul 2018, 08:12 (Ref:3838650)   #129
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Just reading some of the chat in the supertouring group on facebook, it seems like from some of the people involved that there is a real possibility there wont be a series next year. People saying that its "20 entries for Oulton or no series next year".
Old 25 Jul 2018, 13:59 (Ref:3838720)   #130
v jones
Rookie

v jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cars are very expensive to run,i know someone who ran one in the Formula Saloons,car came with huge amount of spares,most of which were scrap!Cars used lots of one off parts,shame because they are good.
Old 26 Jul 2018, 08:05 (Ref:3838831)   #131
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by v jones View Post
Cars are very expensive to run,i know someone who ran one in the Formula Saloons,car came with huge amount of spares,most of which were scrap!Cars used lots of one off parts,shame because they are good.
All race cars are expensive to run!
It’s an expensive hobby
I feel it’s unlikely that late Tin tops will work as they are to sophisticated for your normal joe blow fellow to sort
Now if anyone wants that 356 GT that is in Peters photo collection shout!
Old 26 Jul 2018, 10:10 (Ref:3838846)   #132
v jones
Rookie

I know racing are expensive to run,ive had 6 over 50 years!
Old 26 Jul 2018, 12:15 (Ref:3838867)   #133
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
That is a superb race report from someone who was obviously watching!
Marcus Pye- had to be!

Combining v Jones and JR’s observations on Super Tourers, the cars were originally built with a lot of one-off parts, making them too sophisticated for a lot of normal historic racers to run..... Even the previous Group A cars were far more trick than they appear from the outside!

Anyone else think it was strange that there were no CSLs in the HTCC race? Lots of them about......
Old 26 Jul 2018, 12:36 (Ref:3838872)   #134
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

I believe Cleland had to have some bits made for his Vectra as there are none around (or none of use).
Old 26 Jul 2018, 12:44 (Ref:3838876)   #135
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Marcus Pye- had to be!

Combining v Jones and JR’s observations on Super Tourers, the cars were originally built with a lot of one-off parts, making them too sophisticated for a lot of normal historic racers to run..... Even the previous Group A cars were far more trick than they appear from the outside!

Anyone else think it was strange that there were no CSLs in the HTCC race? Lots of them about......

I believe the later Volvo S40 ST's ('99 cars) had a lighter and more sophisticated gearbox specially developed that cost a fortune to design, develop, test and build - and was no doubt one of the reasons that Gow went the standardised part route in the regs.

We ran an ST car in BTCC and everything was expensive, gearbox, engine lease and re-builds, aero parts and carbon work - you name it. I believe the Prodrive Mondeo's must have been amongst the most expensive to run, literally all the parts had to come from Prodrive, no wonder Ford spent a fortune in 2000 running them.
Old 26 Jul 2018, 13:36 (Ref:3838883)   #136
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Is there another series which does run or has run supertourers in the UK?
Old 26 Jul 2018, 13:43 (Ref:3838886)   #137
v jones
Rookie

I suppose the super tourers could run in the various regional saloon/gt series and classic touring thunder whatever,bit of a pot hunt,run in rod birleys lot!
Old 26 Jul 2018, 14:04 (Ref:3838891)   #138
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Is there another series which does run or has run supertourers in the UK?
Quote:
I suppose the super tourers could run in the various regional saloon/gt series and classic touring thunder whatever,bit of a pot hunt,run in rod birleys lot!
They've run in various saloon championships over the years - usually just one or two cars only though. It's great to see a larger grid of them all together - maybe they could loosen the rules a bit? So you can use non-standard parts (different gearbox / engine) use fibreglass rather than kevlar for panels etc etc. That would bring the cost of running them down.

Classic Thunder would seem the most likely home for them - they'd get stitched up in some of the other championships due to their level of modification - they wouldn't just drop into the "2 litre" class, things like non standard engine location, sequential gearbox would see them jumping up through the class structure.
Old 26 Jul 2018, 16:45 (Ref:3838914)   #139
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Marcus Pye- had to be!

Yes although I thought I heard when listening to the commentary that there was a late addition no55.Normally most of them I've seen racing race with Peter Auto in the Touring Cup
Old 26 Jul 2018, 16:59 (Ref:3838917)   #140
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:

That's what they did before their own championship/series, mostly running in Formula Saloons, back then.
Old 26 Jul 2018, 17:06 (Ref:3838919)   #141
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:

Yep, I know! They were all originally built and run as factory works cars on factory budgets (millions per year by the end of 99/2000) with the commensurate parts lifing, which is why you will see the retirements in this type of racing, the cars are high tech to run, the parts and running gear/engines will be tired and all hard/expensive to replace. Ash Sutton's Honda blew and engine on the SC test day!
Old 26 Jul 2018, 22:08 (Ref:3838970)   #142
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Amazing cars but looks like people are waking up and smelling the coffee.
Old 26 Jul 2018, 23:13 (Ref:3838975)   #143
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely in favour of dropping Super Tourers.
Poor entries prevail at most rounds with Brands scraping the race before the meeting started.
Maybe a couple of feature races a year would be appropriate.
Old 27 Jul 2018, 06:38 (Ref:3839026)   #144
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a quick one, got round to it at last but here's my vid from last Sundays action if anyone interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qrClOTL1WM
Old 27 Jul 2018, 21:55 (Ref:3839190)   #145
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A couple of batches from my three days at and off track:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0256.jpg   IMG_0436.jpg   IMG_0834.jpg  

IMG_1105.jpg   IMG_1442.jpg   IMG_1878.jpg  

Old 27 Jul 2018, 21:58 (Ref:3839191)   #146
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
and a few static ones.
There are galleries from each day on my website.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0045.jpg   IMG_0058.jpg   IMG_1718.jpg  

IMG_1791.jpg   IMG_1732.jpg   IMG_0213.jpg  

Old 28 Jul 2018, 05:50 (Ref:3839218)   #147
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Saturday-only spectator on Car Club deal this year. Decent value that way.
Having trekked the length and breadth of Silverstone for the Blancpain and British GT, took the easy route and settled in the Village grandstand for the day.
Some good racing and big screen opposite helped.
Took photos through the day, but really needed more than 200mm lens. So far only Masters Endurance on Flickr at - https://www.flickr.com/gp/dwh38/oi28h0
Not sure we need BoP on that series - surely its about seeing the cars raced, not pot-hunting (or am I deluded ?).
Surprised to see a Tesla parade lap - feels like Silverstone have sold their soul ! (Yeah, I know it might be the future, but we ain't there yet)
Old 28 Jul 2018, 06:06 (Ref:3839221)   #148
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Does Formula Saloons still run?
Old 28 Jul 2018, 06:44 (Ref:3839227)   #149
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Nowt wrong with Teslas .... I prefer the sight and sound of a Lola T70 of course but as a road car the Tesla is brilliant. And it's more interesting as amarque than some of the dreck given a parade. Not that I would have any parades at all as even a 1000 dawdling 911s is dull compared to a Formula Junior race.

I believe the Tesla OC had volunteered to provide shuttle service for drivers and VIPs between national and international paddocks so they earned their moment in the sun .
Old 28 Jul 2018, 11:23 (Ref:3839274)   #150
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Nowt wrong with Teslas .... I prefer the sight and sound of a Lola T70 of course but as a road car the Tesla is brilliant. And it's more interesting as a marque than some of the dreck given a parade. Not that I would have any parades at all...

I believe the Tesla OC had volunteered to provide shuttle service for drivers and VIPs between national and international paddocks so they earned their moment in the sun .
I remember the BDC having a parade 10 years or so ago, and when the leading cars were coming round to start a second lap they were confronted by cars still flooding on.... Chaos!

Yes the Tesla ‘owners group’ (not club apparently) thoroughly deserved a lap or two after volunteering their cars all weekend. Very much appreciated by many of us!