Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Aug 2022, 08:06 (Ref:4121500)   #46
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I believe Ferrari have switched strategy people a few times. The previous Strat gentleman is now one of the heads of ops. I think Ferrari have a more deep cultural issue which is allowing these mistakes to happen, regardless of who is in charge.

Remember this has been happening since the Alonso days. 2010 they lost a title by covering the wrong car and being stuck in traffic. In the Vettel days, seb regularly made strategy calls from the car that the team were getting wrong. Charles questions the strategy a lot - Carlos overrides it at times.

Ferrari have been like this since 2010 at least. The only difference now is neither Charles or Carlos have the experience Seb and Fernando did to override the pit wall effectively. Which isn't a criticism of Charles and Carlos - they've not been hired to make those calls.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 08:23 (Ref:4121501)   #47
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasDavour View Post
That might very well be the case. I do feel Leclerc has been most often hosed, though. OTOH he has more often been up front...

But, the culture in Ferrari is not exactly known to be open for constructive criticism, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrumpet View Post
Ferrari need to be very careful, talent like Leclerc's is a mercurial and vulnerable thing. They gave Vettel a car up to the job yet it didn't work out, Alonso bailed and he's no snowflake (to use an awful recent term). They should be leading both championships, yet they're not. Wagging a finger at a smaller, younger man is rarely supportive. Supporting your strategy guy after so many errors indicates poor priorities.
They need to get the right people in the right jobs. RBR are an exemplar at this, whether you like them or not.

I feel what we're seeing is Leclerc wanting to do the Ferrari thing, but frustrations about losing out on the title fight due to his own and Ferrari's errors sometimes boil over. This time around he seemed to over compensate by not being outspoken enough about the hard tires before that fatal stop.

I think Ferrari and Leclerc should do well to look into how to be getting the best out of each other. This season is written off for both championships, but you would want the errors and the working relation improved long before the next season starts. You don't want another wasted year and it would be a pity if the Leclerc/Ferrari combo would come to an underwhelming end.

That said, I'm not too worried about Ferrari long term. They seemed to be pretty well positioned to do well next year. They just need to get their operation in order though.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 08:35 (Ref:4121502)   #48
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Given that Mercedes seems to have unlocked some performance, I can't help but to think this takes some wind out of the sails of the recently floated significant technical regulation changes. All to be pushed through via the "safety" catch all.

I haven't followed this heavily, but I believe they were looking to raise the floor edges by 25mm, adjust the underfloor diffuser throat dimensions, new/additional (more rigorous) measurement/process to detect floor deflection as well as the quantifying and setting a safe limit for impact of repetitive chassis oscillation on the drivers.

I can get behind the oscillation limits and the tougher measurement to stop "flexible floors", but the rest really seems to be focused on helping one team become more competitive (Mercedes?) as it would likely invalidate optimizations and R&D from Red Bull and Ferrari. I think teams such as Red Bull have been advocating for less changes. And an argument has been made that it seems teams are getting a handle on workable solutions within the current regulations.

Would this past weekend (Mercedes 1-2 on podium) indicate a trend that knee jerk dimensional changes should NOT be made? Protecting the drivers (oscillation measurement) is the only "safety" issue, enforce intent of the rules (more rigorous measurement methods), but lets hold off on taking away performance from the underbody wing just because some teams haven't figure out an optimal solution yet. Let the engineers figure this out. Isn't that the purpose of having a constructors championship?

Richard

Yes, why do anything on top of the already proposed vertical movement metric? Like you say, let the engineers figure that one out if the core safety problem is fixed by the metric? It did smell like trying to help out a team that was struggling earlier in the season (especially after the second stay saga). Feels a bit like the bone RB was thrown with the rear end changes after the simplified front wing hampered them the year before. Perhaps the FIA felt it needed to return the favour after last year.

I do think some comments about the metric were unfounded. Some team managers saying there were no oscillation problems in recent grand prix. Well then you wouldn't have to fear any restriction from the metric anyway, so what's the concern?
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 08:46 (Ref:4121503)   #49
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
It did smell like trying to help out a team that was struggling earlier in the season (especially after the second stay saga). Feels a bit like the bone RB was thrown with the rear end changes after the simplified front wing hampered them the year before. Perhaps the FIA felt it needed to return the favour after last year.
I think (and not a criticism directed at you) that the comments about changes 'favouring a team' underline how tribal the views of F1 are. (Has it always been this way?)

The focus on who benefits about a regulation change is regularly boiled down the team that gains. I think it is more about balancing the field.

How often do we see complaints (about any team) having too much of an advantage? Yes, they have done well, and deserve the plaudits and success. But long term, F1 benefits from the field being brought back closer.

So if a team has got the edge - let them have early success, but balance the field later. At this stage of the season, RBR have already got so far ahead that it would not harm the championship to see their advantage eroded.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 09:09 (Ref:4121511)   #50
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I think (and not a criticism directed at you) that the comments about changes 'favouring a team' underline how tribal the views of F1 are. (Has it always been this way?)

The focus on who benefits about a regulation change is regularly boiled down the team that gains. I think it is more about balancing the field.

How often do we see complaints (about any team) having too much of an advantage? Yes, they have done well, and deserve the plaudits and success. But long term, F1 benefits from the field being brought back closer.

So if a team has got the edge - let them have early success, but balance the field later. At this stage of the season, RBR have already got so far ahead that it would not harm the championship to see their advantage eroded.
I'm always on two minds about this. My base response as more of a purist is, let the rest do a better job. On the other side, as you say, everyone enjoys a closer field. I think an argument for the latter is when you have two alternative car concepts and one concept is struggling more with regulations or a regulation change than the other. I think we all like to have different looking cars and cars with different working principles fighting each other. By helping out a team with a concept that's struggling a bit with the regulations (or a regulation change), you close the field directly but also longer term because that team doesn't have to swap over their whole concept and needing to invest lots of resources and time to get the other concept working on their own car. In turn you are preserving some diversity in the look and workings of the cars.

This is I think was the thinking about the front wing and subsequent end plate changes in the low rake/high rake era and what we are now seeing with Mercedes' zero pod concept vs. the other teams.

The tricky bit is then to prevent:

a) It being too obvious you're helping one team or concept.
b) Helping that team/concept too much because the concept was either underperforming up till that point and a regulation change is not necessary and/or you make the regulation change too big so you overshoot what you're aiming for and the field gets torn apart in the other direction.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 13:10 (Ref:4121533)   #51
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that if FIA should change regulations, blown diffusers or flexy wings, it should be done in between seasons. If someone has been smarter, they should win that year. But, I think everyone benefits if it does not go on for longer. That being said, as they now insist on locking down so many things for long period of times, this kind of knee jerk adaptions before a lock down period is probably a logical result.

I'm not too keen on the long homologation perods personally.