Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Jul 2008, 12:33 (Ref:2259002)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Workshop tours

I was wondering if V8 teams actually give tours of their workshops ?

Today i was invited to the BJR shop and had an awesome time checking out their equipment from their signwriting facitlity to their gearbox workshop and their CNC workshop where they make all their go faster pieces right up to standing underneath the WOW car on a hoist checking out the ins and outs of the cars themselves.

was a great experience to go there and check the place out and have a guided tour and even watch the team practice pitstops out the back of the shed.

The cars are currently almost assembled for Winton and they fired up Andrew Jones's car while I was there to check for loose hoses and oil leaks and things of that nature and trust me in a tin shed its pretty darn loud LOL.

Many things surprised me up close like that such as the little amount of room the drivers have in the cockpit and just how far back they actually sit in the car and the length of the steering colum (sp) because of that.

we spent a while looking at a Fujitsu series car before moving over to the main game cars but the whole shabang is simply brilliant and simply an environment one could spend plenty of time playing in.

Big thanks to Mick for giving us the tour was really a fantastic time to go and check things out and one that few get to experience , so for that i am greatly appreciative.

So this begs the question do other teams give tours like this to the general public ?

and if not why not ?
It certainly opened up my eyes and gave me a greater understanding of what a V8 team runs like.
I understand there are times when it is impossible but during off weeks or off season do the bigger teams allow this type of thing.

Heck teams could even charge the public $20 or so to have a look through as a PR excercise and generate more public awareness of the sport and what actually goes on behind the scenes and how much is actually involved in preparing 2 race cars for each meeting.

For petrol heads like myself and of course other ten tenths members who dont normally have access to the inner sanctum it would be (and was) a huge buzz.

I dont know if any other teams do it or even if its the done thing but if you ever get the opportunity then dont hesitate its a great thing to go have a look at and if your a team owner or manager then maybe its something you could consider it would sure win you quite a few fans.

Have you toured a V8 facility and what was it like ?

P.S Thanks again to Mick , really enjoyed it
Old 28 Jul 2008, 22:38 (Ref:2259301)   #2
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing like a workshop tour!!!

Have had the privilege to tour HRT, HSVDT when it was known as Kmart, GRM, PMM and DJR.

HRT was a real eye opener, mainly due to the amount of space that they worked in. HSVDT was like hanging out in a mates garage as it was laid back and majority of some the prep was done over in the HRT building.

PMM was great as well, the team members took time to talk to us about various aspects of the work that was happening and at the same time an engine was on the dyno so was luck to hear it screaming away in the background. They even took us through the Holden museum. Sadly parts of the museum have now been cannibalized by the expansion of the teams fabrication shop, but it is still worth a trip out to Norwell.

DJR was good, but the layout has everything on display, so it doesn't make it as fun as when you go to other teams and you have to go through doors into other areas to see different things.

Have toured both of GRM's workshops, the old and the new. The new workshop is a damn sight better than the old as everything is nicely laid out. There Fab shop is probably the most interesting part, as depending on what is happening inside you can see a chassis being put together. The people at GRM, along with PMM, have to be the most welcoming and open that I have spoken to.

If the teams took a leaf out of the NASCAR book and built viewing facilities like some of the bigger teams in NASCAR have, they would make a killing.

It is one of the most fascinating things that you'll ever see if your a die hard petrol head.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 00:43 (Ref:2259327)   #3
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't been lucky enough to tour a V8 teams workshop, but I have had a tour of Toyota's F1 base. Just the sheer size and money involved in the place makes my eyes water!! Two windtunnels basically being used full time.

I agree, teams need to provide more access for the puplic.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 01:37 (Ref:2259331)   #4
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to 888 last year, a fantastic experience. I was amazed just how approachable people were, particularly Campbell Little..
Old 29 Jul 2008, 10:47 (Ref:2259491)   #5
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FPR have windows you can look into the workshop from their merchandise shop.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 11:21 (Ref:2259519)   #6
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went through Bright's workshop a couple of months ago.

It amazed me to see the effort it takes to stay just at the back end.

Opened my eyes.
Old 29 Jul 2008, 16:05 (Ref:2259701)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have a list of places to visit on my next trip to Australia so I'm definitely going to try to visit what V8 teams I can.
Old 30 Jul 2008, 13:46 (Ref:2260322)   #8
ezra
Rookie

Australia
ezra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pretty sure you can walk into FPR anytime to have a look. I'm pretty sure there is always someone there who can show you around. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure!
Old 31 Jul 2008, 04:21 (Ref:2260690)   #9
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My car club toured 888 a couple of years ago, when they were Team Betta Electrical and toured DJR when they were running ELs. My old car club toured DJR when they were running Sierras!
Old 19 Dec 2008, 22:15 (Ref:2358543)   #10
kiwi butt
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
Papatoetoe
kiwi butt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to tour Team Sheep's workshops but they move too fast for me. Its very hard to keep up with an unregistered Kenworth and trailer
Old 21 Dec 2008, 21:42 (Ref:2359424)   #11
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi butt
I'd like to tour Team Sheep's workshops but they move too fast for me. Its very hard to keep up with an unregistered Kenworth and trailer
Shows how little you know Kiwi Butt, TKR do not even own a Kenworth, they have a Freightliner, and it is most definately registered. But I guess this highlights that you are just posting to have a bash.