Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 17 Dec 2016, 09:20 (Ref:3696800)   #2551
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Got invited out last night by a few old racing chums for a natter and noggin up in a pub near Waterloo.
Great evening chatting away about how fast we all were and puzzled as to why none of us had had the call from Mercedes.Then went of for some dinner at a Tai restaurant "not so sure about the food ". Anyway got to 10pm and said my farewells and back of to get the train home. Needed a pee at Waterloo station and it cost 30p. Crikey that is 6 bob in old money. I got to thinking Friday night after work way back when i was a lad you could by a packet of fags a couple of pints and fill my scooter up for that.
On the underground sat next to a stunning blond who opened her hand bag and offered me a chocolate which I gratefully accepted. Thought " get your coat Rowley you have pulled ". She then went up the train and gave away the rest of the chocolates but did return to let me have another and the last one.
Said my good byes wishing her a merry Christmas and returned home just before midnight to a nice cup of tea.
Mrs Delta says "did you have a nice time " yes I say. I met my mates in a pub had a few beers ,we then went to a place where there were lots of lovely young Tai girls who were very nice and then a young gorgeous blond girl on the train chatted me up and gave me her chocolates.
Had to sleep in the spare room..
Never mind adventure over for another year. Nice day out in the workshop today at home getting on with the 22 rebuild. Merry Humbug.
Who said honesty pays??

It's 70 centimes to pee at a lot of Belgian service stations now, but at least you get a voucher to spend in the shop. Don't suppose you got that at Waterloo station even though Waterloo is technically in Belgium!
Old 17 Dec 2016, 11:56 (Ref:3696817)   #2552
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Got invited out last night by a few old racing chums for a natter and noggin up in a pub near Waterloo.
Great evening chatting away about how fast we all were and puzzled as to why none of us had had the call from Mercedes.Then went of for some dinner at a Tai restaurant "not so sure about the food ". Anyway got to 10pm and said my farewells and back of to get the train home. Needed a pee at Waterloo station and it cost 30p. Crikey that is 6 bob in old money. I got to thinking Friday night after work way back when i was a lad you could by a packet of fags a couple of pints and fill my scooter up for that.
On the underground sat next to a stunning blond who opened her hand bag and offered me a chocolate which I gratefully accepted. Thought " get your coat Rowley you have pulled ". She then went up the train and gave away the rest of the chocolates but did return to let me have another and the last one.
Said my good byes wishing her a merry Christmas and returned home just before midnight to a nice cup of tea.
Mrs Delta says "did you have a nice time " yes I say. I met my mates in a pub had a few beers ,we then went to a place where there were lots of lovely young Tai girls who were very nice and then a young gorgeous blond girl on the train chatted me up and gave me her chocolates.
Had to sleep in the spare room..
Never mind adventure over for another year. Nice day out in the workshop today at home getting on with the 22 rebuild. Merry Humbug.
I thought the Stations were dropping the pee charges ... or did I misread who it was that was dropping the charges?

Or maybe they are but not until after Xmas .... and considering whether to change their minds.

Probably the take from the "service" goes into the executive Xmas bonus fund.

And of course they will need time to transfer the charge to the ticket price so that everyone pays whether they use the facility or not.

As for being honest, Iain, it has its limits in terms of repayment.

Anyway, you're lucky to have a spare room. Some people only have a cardboard box for shelter out in the garden when they upset their "better" half.

Especially in Yorkshire, apparently, although there the lucky ones can usually share the dog kennel with their whippet.
Old 17 Dec 2016, 12:26 (Ref:3696820)   #2553
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Some London stations dropped the toilet charges recently because of all the disruption customers / travellers were facing. Think it is / was only temporary....
Old 18 Dec 2016, 10:40 (Ref:3696921)   #2554
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Talking of stations, something completely different. One of my other interests which I made the effort to pursue this year:-
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF8287SSJT.jpg   DSCF8319SSJT.jpg   DSCF8490SSJT.jpg  

DSCF8597SSJT.jpg   File0045SSJT.jpg   File0080SSJT.jpg  

"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 18 Dec 2016, 10:56 (Ref:3696923)   #2555
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Nice pics- especially top right! Where did you take that from?

Thursday after xmas @ 9pm the beeb documentary 'Flying Scotsman from the footplate' (or something like that!) is on BBC4. An hour long!
Old 18 Dec 2016, 11:12 (Ref:3696926)   #2556
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for posting those pictures John . You look at them and just think life was a lot easier in those days .
Old 18 Dec 2016, 11:31 (Ref:3696933)   #2557
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the wrong place to ask but I Think I have located an early XK engine, pre complete one without camcover front securing bolts , anyone any idea of the value, just a rough idea.
Old 18 Dec 2016, 11:42 (Ref:3696938)   #2558
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Good a place as any! And I've no idea.....
Old 18 Dec 2016, 12:01 (Ref:3696941)   #2559
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Falce View Post
Maybe the wrong place to ask but I Think I have located an early XK engine, pre complete one without camcover front securing bolts , anyone any idea of the value, just a rough idea.
Is it one of the early 4 cylinder XK engines?
Old 18 Dec 2016, 12:13 (Ref:3696942)   #2560
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Guard it with your life Uncle Eric . I will ask a couple of our Jag friends .
Old 18 Dec 2016, 13:26 (Ref:3696948)   #2561
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Talking of stations, something completely different. One of my other interests which I made the effort to pursue this year:-
Great shots of the Bodmin & Wenford Steam Railway there John. A couple of years ago my wife & I took our dog for a short walk along the Camel trail and I suddenly realised I could smell that distinctive combination of burning coal & steam. (That's odd I thought, they pulled up the tracks & turned this into a cycleway years ago). A little further on we found the Bodmin & wnford railway alongside the camel trail and we watched as the train moved away. We waved madly (and everyone waved back), I felt like I was in The railway Children (but couldn't find Jenny Agutter, or her red knickers anywhere!).
I hope you managed to find time for a pint in The Hole in the Wall Pub in Bodmin while you were there - the best pub in Cornwall according to us (and CAMRA)!
Old 18 Dec 2016, 13:39 (Ref:3696951)   #2562
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Yes me and Mrs Delta have cycled along the trail . And had a couple of beers .
Old 18 Dec 2016, 17:16 (Ref:3696977)   #2563
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My nephew is quite well known in the Steam Railway business. He restores boilers and helped on the Flying Scotsman. It was the only job he wanted. Being extremely dyslexic he needed to work with his hands. Now even the MoD call on him to sort out analogue radar stations etc.
Old 18 Dec 2016, 17:39 (Ref:3696988)   #2564
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pleased to see dear old Enid is keeping up with the modern times.....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1584.jpg  
Old 18 Dec 2016, 17:42 (Ref:3696989)   #2565
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Pleased to see dear old Enid is keeping up with the modern times.....
Love the Brexit Island book especially!
Old 18 Dec 2016, 21:06 (Ref:3697018)   #2566
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Tickled pink Alister Brownlee got P 2 in S P O T Y.
Old 18 Dec 2016, 23:17 (Ref:3697037)   #2567
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Also chuffed that Helana won Aprentice . Going to look out for those cakes . Not so sure on the £3.00 price tag .
Old 19 Dec 2016, 06:33 (Ref:3697074)   #2568
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Tickled pink Alister Brownlee got P 2 in S P O T Y.

Have to admit not being a fan of the whole thing, but watched the end and thought Nick Skelton and Alistair Brownlee deserved to be in the top three. Winner was very predictable, especially considering one of his major achievements was only a short time before the prog!

As for the other programme- I've never watched it.... For true petrol heads, surely highlight of Sunday evening TV would have been the film 'Cars'? Superb....
Old 19 Dec 2016, 07:24 (Ref:3697078)   #2569
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
And another thought on spoty- if the public vote finishes near the end of the programme, how come the winner is already holding the trophy poolside in Miami..... Or do they have several winner trophies and film crews scattered around the world in readiness?

And the Dook of Cambs speech was pretty rubbish.....
Old 19 Dec 2016, 09:15 (Ref:3697085)   #2570
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Nice pics- especially top right! Where did you take that from?
Footbridge at Buckfastleigh

Quote:
Thanks for posting those pictures John . You look at them and just think life was a lot easier in those days .
Yeah, absolutely, Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Great shots of the Bodmin & Wenford Steam Railway there John.!
Just the one shot from there. Was passing through and caught them on a driver training day so couldn't get a ride and didn't get to the Hole in the Wall either, unfortunately. Maybe next year!

The other pics were from the Bluebell (first two) and the North Norfolk Railway (last two).
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 19 Dec 2016, 09:35 (Ref:3697087)   #2571
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Footbridge at Buckfastleigh

Yeah, absolutely, Iain

Just the one shot from there. Was passing through and caught them on a driver training day so couldn't get a ride and didn't get to the Hole in the Wall either, unfortunately. Maybe next year!

The other pics were from the Bluebell (first two) and the North Norfolk Railway (last two).
OK John. I'd really recommend the pub. landlord Steve keeps a great pint and is very enthusiastic about his beer. My wife & I are regulars, even though we do live 260 miles away!
Old 19 Dec 2016, 11:55 (Ref:3697111)   #2572
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Had to laugh- just got to Norwich rail station, hopped onto waiting diesel rail car thingy, only to be told it wouldn't start! Great I thought, will likely have to wait an hour for next one. But no, a single car unit arrived from somewhere else, and our crew seemingly hi-jacked it. (Sure it was more organised than that ) We all legged it across to a far platform and left only 6 mins late.....

Think at least one passenger is on wrong train.....
Old 19 Dec 2016, 12:09 (Ref:3697113)   #2573
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Glad you having a good day . I've got little truck at ministry for test and he's impounded me . Blooming brake lights stuck on .
Old 19 Dec 2016, 12:17 (Ref:3697115)   #2574
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Hole in the Wall?
We've lunched there on the way to Cornish hols, didn't realise it was famous! I do remember it was a welcoming sort of place though, which many aren't particularly.
Old 19 Dec 2016, 13:07 (Ref:3697120)   #2575
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The other pics were from the Bluebell (first two)
Spent one summer when I was about 10 (blimey, that's over 50 years ago!!!) as chief ticket operative on the observation car. Edwardian LNWR Director's carriage I think. Must have gone up and down the line a thousand times, dream job for a young spotter!