Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 8 Jan 2016, 09:53 (Ref:3603004)   #151
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
What's the Car, Moose?
Cadillac!!! Its on the entry list.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 8 Jan 2016, 15:56 (Ref:3603086)   #152
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I think we discussed this last year somewhere but whatever, the great news is that Flying Scotsman is back under steam again. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35259914
Old 8 Jan 2016, 16:00 (Ref:3603090)   #153
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Looking carefully at Tim's photo, I see a pink child's boot on the ground, presumably from the rolled MG. This worries me no end on two counts:

1) T*ssers like this with atrocious driving skills are driving around with kids in their cars!

2) T*ssers like this are being allowed to breed!!

Hope the Land Cruiser's OK Tim. I suspect that if anything happened to my 80 series, any insurance company would want to value it at a lot less than I do...
That was the first thing me and my mrs noticed and I was worried he had a kiddie strapped in somewhere, luckily not.

I phoned the other party's insurer today and apparently they were trying to contact me but didn't have my number, they've accepted full liability and are authorising either repair by one of their repairers, someone I choose or a cash settlement if it's deemed uneconomical to repair. Sounds like a result but I'll wait and see, all sounds too easy.
Old 8 Jan 2016, 16:11 (Ref:3603094)   #154
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I think we discussed this last year somewhere but whatever, the great news is that Flying Scotsman is back under steam again. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35259914
Yes it is good news. My nephew has no formal qualifications but is well known for restoring steam engines. He's looked after some venerable machines. Not this one but I thought I saw him in one of the pics so I'll ask him.

I guess being of that age Steam engines still hold a lot of interest for me.
Old 8 Jan 2016, 16:12 (Ref:3603095)   #155
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Also glad to see you got a result on the car thing.
Old 8 Jan 2016, 16:25 (Ref:3603102)   #156
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Did you see the Flying Scotsman is up and running again Peter.
Old 8 Jan 2016, 16:46 (Ref:3603109)   #157
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[QUOTThanks Baub, 99% of my posts on this site are purely for entertainment purposes (even if most of the time it's only me who is entertained...)
E][/QUOTE]

Right on the money again Viv! Entertainment is what I personally look for during my 'tea break', I like to walk back to the production line/coal face/rat race with a spring in my step, hope in my heart, and a smile on my face. Sadly for me far too often I stagger back worrying about 'soil compaction' flooding, car crashes, carburation problems, the fate of Japanese prison camp victims, and the state of the Historic Racing scene generally.
A short time ago our friend Tim was looking for a little sympathy because he had to go St.Albans (hardly a tragedy one might have thought), and then we discover that the truth was that he was in a local park drowning a dog. I was shocked! While I have no objection to him disposing of a canine that way, why did he have to try and cover up the deed by claiming to be in another town?

Please don't share this little grouse with others some might take offence.

PS. We are often asked; 'Why did the chicken cross the road?' But never what did he cross it with, and what sort of hybrid was he seeking to make?

No doubt Peter or Mike will be able to tell us, they are both extremely knowledgeable. (A genuine compliment here not sarcasm)

You OK Iain?
Old 8 Jan 2016, 16:48 (Ref:3603110)   #158
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I don't understand why it was out in a matt black finish today (like the engine double-heading behind it) yet it is due to run from London to somewhere up North in it's historical colour of green in just two weeks time. I would have thought that it was more logical to have completed the paint job before it left the shed where it was being restored.
Old 8 Jan 2016, 17:08 (Ref:3603115)   #159
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I don't understand why it was out in a matt black finish today (like the engine double-heading behind it) yet it is due to run from London to somewhere up North in it's historical colour of green in just two weeks time. I would have thought that it was more logical to have completed the paint job before it left the shed where it was being restored.
Mike, this is probably a traditional thing. Sticking to the illogical thinking that made British Railways such a venerable concern...
Old 8 Jan 2016, 17:08 (Ref:3603116)   #160
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I seem to remember reading that it was to be painted in its wartime black so that people could see it during the test runs as it was in that period. I think this was because it hasn't been seen in black during its preserved years.

Then to be returned to the Bury works for its final coat of green (apple green?).

Note - I'm neither a train-spotter nor an anorak (well I don't think so ).

Last edited by gary396; 8 Jan 2016 at 17:08. Reason: typo
Old 8 Jan 2016, 17:36 (Ref:3603128)   #161
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
That's what I heard as well, Gary. Trials or tests as they called them in war time black. Having said that, I agree with Mike that would have seemed logical to paint in ultimate colour scheme before leaving resto!

The engine (as described on news this morn) is supposed to be doing a passenger run this eve, may be on TV if we're lucky.
Old 8 Jan 2016, 18:36 (Ref:3603140)   #162
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm expecting the Government's Nannies here any time. I'm just drinking a bottle of beer, I will probably have a glass of wine with my meal and quite possibly a drop of whisky later on. I'm worried the Thought Police will be here soon to save me from myself, that's nearly a week's worth of "units" in one night. I'm clearly an alcoholic, a risk to myself and a menace to society.
Old 8 Jan 2016, 18:52 (Ref:3603141)   #163
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Going to be a struggle for me tonight . Out with Jim my old Galaxie driver and his Mrs . Might go for lemonade and lime . What say you Bob .
Old 8 Jan 2016, 18:57 (Ref:3603142)   #164
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Going to be a struggle for me tonight . Out with Jim my old Galaxie driver and his Mrs . Might go for lemonade and lime . What say you Bob .
Yeah! Iain, go for it, one has to cut loose now and again..... well as long as Jim (or his Misses) is paying for it!

I will just sit at home and nurse my poorly wife, but don't concern yourself about my miserable evening, enjoy yourself and never think of me.
Oh! Is this the Jim who used to race a Lotus 11?
Old 8 Jan 2016, 19:06 (Ref:3603146)   #165
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Yep , Lotus 17 . Galaxie and my favorate the Westminster which we still have . Happy days .
Old 8 Jan 2016, 19:56 (Ref:3603170)   #166
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Iain, I'm also doing dry January and decided to do it to raise money for Cancer Research as suggested by Mike.

Maybe we should go out for a drink on 1 February to celebrate!

All donations to Cancer Research gratefully received

Donating to my JustGiving page is easy - just follow this link and click Donate:

http://www.justgiving.com/owner-emai...dryathlete2016

JustGiving sends your donation straight to Cancer Research UK so it’s a quick and safe way to donate.

Mods please remove link if not allowed.
Old 8 Jan 2016, 20:12 (Ref:3603176)   #167
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Yep , Lotus 17 . Galaxie and my favorate the Westminster which we still have . Happy days .
Tell him Bob Bull of BBC Three Counties Radio says hello.
Old 8 Jan 2016, 20:54 (Ref:3603189)   #168
bauble
Veteran

England

Nice cars those Westminsters!
Old 8 Jan 2016, 20:56 (Ref:3603191)   #169
bauble
Veteran

England

Most of the time!
Old 8 Jan 2016, 22:54 (Ref:3603228)   #170
bauble
Veteran

England
Iain, some years ago a friend sent me an e-mail mentioning that he was coaching Jim Woodley prior to the Goodwood Revival, I sent him this picture and asked him if this was the Jim Woodley he had been helping.

Old 9 Jan 2016, 04:23 (Ref:3603261)   #171
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post

Nice cars those Westminsters!
Dear Baub,

Not wishing to be pedantic of course but ....

I know that at Goodwood there is always the chance that nothing is what it seems to be .... but without mentioning that at all I have to say that in my opinion that is not an Austin Westminster.

(Not quite sure where the pic disappeared - it was there when I quoted your post.)
Old 9 Jan 2016, 05:23 (Ref:3603263)   #172
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed it is not Grant. I remember it getting a head ache at Mallory a few yeard back though.
Old 9 Jan 2016, 07:09 (Ref:3603268)   #173
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Well, it made the been news last night.

Pity about the matt black, though. When applied to a cayenne or panamera it actually does us onlookers a favour.......

Having checked race results, Jim's 105 is VAB 719, in case anyone else wondered which of the two it is!
Old 9 Jan 2016, 07:16 (Ref:3603269)   #174
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I will tell him Bob and pass on the photo . Many thanks Jim still misses racing very much .
Old 9 Jan 2016, 07:58 (Ref:3603271)   #175
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Dear Baub,

Not wishing to be pedantic of course but ....

I know that at Goodwood there is always the chance that nothing is what it seems to be .... but without mentioning that at all I have to say that in my opinion that is not an Austin Westminster.

(Not quite sure where the pic disappeared - it was there when I quoted your post.)
These cars are very much 'my era' Grant, so I should know better, however, even back then I could never tell an Escort from a Viva (sorry GT), therefore by all means be a pedant, there are worse things.

Bawbs.