Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 29 Sep 2005, 13:03 (Ref:1419946)   #1
jump
Rookie

England
West London
jump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands Hatch Memories

Brands is almost 80 years old now and I think its amazing how it still holds its own on the world motorsport scene, amongst today's modern 'overtaking friendly' tracks. (Hosting the first ever A1 GP last weekend of course.)

I'm sure alot of us have got fond memories of the place, for me, one that stands out would have to be when the BTCC raced there in 1995 (or was it '94.. hmmm) in the torrential rain. (The year that Cleland won the title.)
I remember watching the race from the inside of Druids on me old man's shoulders Fantastic view and a fantastic spectacle. Its also my first ever memory of the place, so will always be remembered.

Anyone else got any memories to share, in honour of this great British track.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 13:10 (Ref:1419953)   #2
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Guards Trophy Group7 sportscar race, August bank holiday 1966.
Remember watching my hero Jim Clark in the awful Lotus 40, finally going off at Clearways,through a hedge! He was sensational later though in the Lotus Cortina, 3 wheeling all the way around South Bank which was a much longer corner in those days. In recent times, the greatest race I saw there was the 1988 Formula Ford festival final won by Sospiri.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 13:49 (Ref:1419991)   #3
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Down South

For us Northerners a trip to Brands in the Sixties was a mammoth undertaking. It wasn't until I started work that a trip was financial viable. So I first went in 1968 to the British Grand Prix won by Jo Siffert in Rob Walker's Lotus 49. My all time favourite races though were in 1969 and 1970.
The 1969 BOAC 500 was a classic PORSCHE sportscar triumph. My favourite 908s were 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 6th in a demonstartion of superior team work. However 1970 eclipsed that experience with the British Airways 1000kms. The brutal 917s were favourites and from my vantage point in the main stand I had the ideal spot to see the pit stops and the Rodriguez incident!
Despite the awful weather the race was electrifying. I still remember clearly the chaotic Ferrari pit stops compared to the John Wyer precision versions.

Brands was never my favourite track but it did provide some lasting memories.

Old 29 Sep 2005, 14:50 (Ref:1420047)   #4
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just 50 years since I first went.First sunday in september 1955.Mainly F3 (500cc) racing,went with my dad & younger brother.Must have been a hundred times,but last weekend was only the second visit since I moved north in 1993. Strangely the open stand I was in seems to be in the same place as the permanent covered one I remember over 37 years.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 14:54 (Ref:1420051)   #5
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went a few times in the 80s. First at the August Banky 1981 meet, that featured the the dying Atlantics. 2 races, one on Sunday, 1 Monday. No great memories I'm afraid of this.

Then I saw 3 Group C races, first in 84 when the Canon 956, Lammers/Palmer, utterly dominated. Next in 88, when the 'Pink Panther' Tiga spun in front of the works Saubers, and left the Jags to win (the Joest 962C was also quite competitive there). Last in 89, when I saw perhaps the best Group C grid ever outside of Le Mans, Saubers won easily, though the Aston had a good run, and the Jag turbo was fast on debut but didn't last.

After that I went to a few of the early 90s Interseries, with some very weird stuff !
Old 29 Sep 2005, 15:08 (Ref:1420068)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My earliest memory of Brands is the Boxing Day meeting (although it was actually 27 Dec.) 1966, watching the winning debut of the Lotus 47. Can't remember too much about the racing; it was cold, wet and miserable. The other thing I remember was that I was with my best mate who was driving his Dad's AC 2-litre saloon and when we were leaving, we slid, on the wet mud, gracefully into a 'lesser, more modern' vehicle, fortunately, at such slow speed, no damage was done.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 15:10 (Ref:1420072)   #7
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The same meeting John where Gerry Marshall wrote off the Elan at Paddock I think.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 15:20 (Ref:1420080)   #8
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Brands was my "local" so I went to plenty of things, but the one happy memory I really savour was watching Michele Alboreto practicing the Ferrari 126 in 1985. On that day, you could keep your Sennas and your Rosbergs. Going through Paddock at full chat with alarming levels of powerslide, he was absolutely awesome.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 15:23 (Ref:1420085)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You may be right, Andrew, but, if so, he was a late entrant as he does not appoear in the programme. You could check in your new copy of 'Only here for the Beer'

In the same race, The British Eagle Trophy Race', I note that the third reserve entrant was one M.W.Green in a Ginetta G12. I take it that is our Willie?
Old 29 Sep 2005, 15:25 (Ref:1420089)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
That conjures up a great image, Tim. Michele had his days didn't he?
Old 29 Sep 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1420093)   #11
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I also still remember the stunned silence as Rindt appeared in the lead at Clearways to win the 1970 British GP, as Brabham coasted in out of fuel. Worst Brands memory? Seeing the aftermath of Siffert's accident in '71. The silence, the pall of black smoke knowing something really terrible had happened then witnessing the fire across the road and the chaos down there.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 15:36 (Ref:1420104)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
On a happier note, Pedro Rodriguez drive in the wet with the 917 is well remembered, although sadly I wasn't there to see it. Who was it who said 'will someone please tell Pedro it's raining'?
Old 29 Sep 2005, 15:38 (Ref:1420107)   #13
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I was there too! Both wet races 1970 & '71. Pedro was amazing..certainly warmed up the soaking wet crowd! Was it Chris Amon who said that?
Old 29 Sep 2005, 15:39 (Ref:1420111)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I'm going to have to look it up now, aren't I?
Old 29 Sep 2005, 15:40 (Ref:1420112)   #15
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Go on John, gives us your answer to hit your 1000th post!
Old 29 Sep 2005, 15:47 (Ref:1420120)   #16
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was there in 70 & 71, sadly I was to young and have no recollection of those great races. But I always tghought Brands suited sports cars very well and went to all the Grp C races.

The proper FF festivel turned up some great days racing, Moreno and herbert both spring to mind, but I don't think I can think of a bad one until the 1800 cars came along.

I also vividly recall waiting for the gates to open at the GP, then the sprint carrying a couple of chairs to reach a favored place until the rest of the family turn up lugging food etc.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 15:49 (Ref:1420122)   #17
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First memories are of watching a Transnational GT race from inside of Druids in August 1984 on a Sun Free Day.... Stunning race.... Wilson v McGaughay for the lead in fantastic single-seater (Toleman?) chassised BMW and Lancia clones (as far as I can remember!). I think a small piccy of that race might`ve made the front cover of Autosport if I recall correctly.

Best memories.... Definately the Festivals. Sospiri`s in `88 is still the best in my opinion, but watching Magnussen win in `92 with 2 "round-the-outside" moves at Paddock also stands out.

Perhaps some of the best memories are still to come??.......
Old 29 Sep 2005, 15:51 (Ref:1420127)   #18
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
I also vividly recall waiting for the gates to open at the GP, then the sprint carrying a couple of chairs to reach a favored place until the rest of the family turn up lugging food etc.
Oh..happy days!! The mad dash to find a good spot at Paddock. I remember queuing one year, at a gate behind the Kentagon when a couple of guys tried to scale the fence. Security were straight there with a fierce looking Alsation.
When it had calmed down there was deathly silence until some wag shouted out 'It can't eat all of us!' Everyone cracked up.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 16:06 (Ref:1420137)   #19
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
This thread is bringing back so many memories!
One of the 80's festivals, a seriously bad 'Kentagon' hangover, waking up in the back of John Village's truck having used a spare Kent engine as a pillow, then off back to the Kentagon for breakfast at 7am to beat the rush, only to find it shut. Forgot to put the clock back, it was really 6am. Those engines seemed so loud and painful during the 9am first heat!
Old 29 Sep 2005, 19:36 (Ref:1420296)   #20
h4887
Rookie

England
Braintree,Essex
h4887 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
So I first went in 1968 to the British Grand Prix won by Jo Siffert in Rob Walker's Lotus 49.

Me too, but I don't remember seeing you there!
Old 29 Sep 2005, 19:38 (Ref:1420300)   #21
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still fondly remember my first Festival in 1980 (this not being my first race at Brands).
I was a FF nut then and I am still now, but seeing 240+ FFs go beserk at the place: WOW. (my mouth is about to shut again, so far down it went)

Brands has always been the ultimate place for me, guess that's why I show up so often.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 21:08 (Ref:1420376)   #22
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I say chaps, if you look in the archives for this Historic board, I think there are one or two posts that include photos and many many memory jerkers.
My own recollections go back to 65 and cover crashing an F3 in 69, Thundersports, FSV, GTs and piles of other stuff, but most of it will be previously posted along with other folks gems.
Go to the bottom of the page and have a root about. Maybe someone clever can put a link up. Andrew?
Old 29 Sep 2005, 21:32 (Ref:1420394)   #23
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Hi John. Thanks for that!
Right, loads of old threads here with some nice old Brands photos, but other circuits too.

REMEMBERING THE GP AT BRANDS
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...x+Brands+Hatch

Last edited by John Turner; 29 Sep 2005 at 22:16. Reason: Some links didn't work
Old 29 Sep 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1420401)   #24
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
That's weird, I can only get into the first link listed!
Old 29 Sep 2005, 21:41 (Ref:1420403)   #25
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
testing...should work
F3 - 1960s/70s
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=26347

70s CLUB RACERS
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=32043

ANGLEBOXES
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ght=angleboxes

70s SUPER SALOON PICS
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...er+saloon+pics

ATTEN-SHUN! GUARDS F5000 PICS
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=30812

REMEMBER THE KINCRAFT?