Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Sep 2009, 19:35 (Ref:2533328)   #26
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not seen an entry list yet. Does anybody know if ERA9B is going to be there?
Old 2 Sep 2009, 19:43 (Ref:2533334)   #27
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
It's interesting that there are 120 comments for an 89 car meeting at Donington and two for a meeting with twice as many cars two weeks later.Not a judgement call but when it was suggested that we start a thread about Pre War racing I thought there would be little or no response and this I think confirms it.Pity there is not a wider audience on the forum.Not knocking just an observation.
If there was a full section on pre-war racing/motorsport (let's not forget Trials!), I certainly would contribute to it, however, ten/tenths has always been so biased towards more modern racing that the odd threads on pre-war racing have been scattered in an around the Historic Racing threads and drowned in the hubbub.

The VSCC has a good forum, but it is a 'closed' forum ie only open to VSCC members, unless you are a marshal.

Why not have a section, or subsection, on Pre-war Motorsport?

Steve McQueen.
Old 2 Sep 2009, 21:03 (Ref:2533382)   #28
Yorkie 'S'
Rookie

England
Leeds
Yorkie 'S' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYorkie 'S' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I couldn't comment on the ERA being entered, all I recall from the final regs that I don't have to hand was a very good entry across the board. 189 Cars for the Saturday races, not including the GT and Sprots Car Cup Qualifying, several reserves in some races, looks like a fabulous entry all round.
Old 2 Sep 2009, 21:47 (Ref:2533398)   #29
Enrico Spaggiari
Rookie

Italy
Verona , Italy
Enrico Spaggiari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Not seen an entry list yet. Does anybody know if ERA9B is going to be there?
No, "just" R1B, R3A,R4D,R10B,R11B and R12C .
Cheers!
Old 2 Sep 2009, 22:30 (Ref:2533412)   #30
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico Spaggiari View Post
No, "just" R1B, R3A,R4D,R10B,R11B and R12C .
Cheers!
Thanks for that info. Shame 9B is not there as I have a particular interest in that car.
Old 3 Sep 2009, 09:07 (Ref:2533626)   #31
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectic View Post
ten/tenths has always been so biased towards more modern racing that the odd threads on pre-war racing have been scattered in an around the Historic Racing threads and drowned in the hubbub.

The VSCC has a good forum, but it is a 'closed' forum ie only open to VSCC members, unless you are a marshal.

Why not have a section, or subsection, on Pre-war Motorsport?
Naturally, Mike; it reflects the majority interest of the members/contributors as any forum would. I also suggest that it reflects the proportion of events between those covering the pre war period and the post war period. If more people like you joined and posted, it would change the balance. I'm not sure that I could easily justify to the owners/administrators having a Pre war subforum at the moment - it would have to grow substantially within this forum first. Besides, we do have a number of meetings that mix the two. I'd love to see more on the prewar scene and I review any prewar meeting I go to, but see how many contributed to the last one, I did, here:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...=116587&page=2

Maybe 3 other posters apart from me, despite over 1100 views! At the end of the day it's down to members to start their own threads about what interests them, or at least contribute to those that do get started.
Old 4 Sep 2009, 16:39 (Ref:2534503)   #32
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just about to head of up too Donington to race on the track for the last time.Bit sad in a way but feel privileged to have the opportunity to have a final drive . Must take some pic's
Old 4 Sep 2009, 16:55 (Ref:2534512)   #33
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Naturally, Mike; it reflects the majority interest of the members/contributors as any forum would.
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...=116587&page=2

John,

Please don't take my comments as a huge criticism of 10/10ths, I think that this is a great place to chat and exchange info. However, it doesn't have a true corner for prewar racing.

I think your report of Cadwell was just great, maybe few comments, but a lot of interest. Maybe if there was a separate corner for us prewar chaps that interest would result in a thriving mini forum?

Who knows.

Will you be a Donington? I will be over, probably marshaling for the afternoon, tomorrow

Steve McQueen.
Old 4 Sep 2009, 19:08 (Ref:2534589)   #34
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hoping to be there tomorrow, although not on Sunday, as I'll probably be at Cadwell which to get to from here is less wear and tear on my car ..... and me!
Old 5 Sep 2009, 16:42 (Ref:2534967)   #35
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just had a phone call from Iain at Donington.

Stand by for an epic tale of blown diffs, skinned knuckles, pit lane starts and last lap heroics...
Old 5 Sep 2009, 16:49 (Ref:2534970)   #36
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a normal Delta weekend then.....
Old 5 Sep 2009, 19:21 (Ref:2535037)   #37
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
Just a normal Delta weekend then.....
Old 6 Sep 2009, 08:13 (Ref:2535172)   #38
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
I've just had a phone call from Iain at Donington.

Stand by for an epic tale of blown diffs, skinned knuckles, pit lane starts and last lap heroics...
I thought it was all quite normal.....

Oh, and spotted on the trailer.....

I'll let Iain tell the story- it will be more entertaining from him!
Old 6 Sep 2009, 08:15 (Ref:2535173)   #39
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saturday very full grids and some good racing, some severe rear end damage to Dick Skipworths 'D' due to core plug coming out which Whizzo could do little about.
Rusty bit sales almost a non starter, Spencer not greatly impressed with being inside. Spectator attendance also thin. Interested in the very busy construction work going on.
The one hour races are definitely better than 10 lappers with reasonable 35 minute practice sessions. if not red flagged. Not there today [Sunday]
Old 6 Sep 2009, 08:21 (Ref:2535175)   #40
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, very sad about the D types, but from what I saw before leaving Dick Skipworth's would be OK to race after some serious panel bashing!

This is before the bashing started-

And this is Gavin Pickerings car after they managed to get the front end off-
Old 6 Sep 2009, 08:28 (Ref:2535177)   #41
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
My sort of Aston-

The early Lister which looks very different to how it did at SeeRed last year!

Lovely pair of Kiefts. Should have taken a pic of the distinctive wheel design-

Forget Minis, I want one of these-
Old 6 Sep 2009, 16:30 (Ref:2535369)   #42
Yorkie 'S'
Rookie

England
Leeds
Yorkie 'S' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYorkie 'S' should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was driving one of the Mini's and I want one of them too !!!

I enjoyed the race nearly once I recovered from nearly losing the car at the old hairpin which was quite a scary moment, I recall a similar moment on youtube where Roger Wills Cortina was squeezed to the outside by the Mini of Roger Ebdon. The only disappointment was whatever happened to the timekeeping, it seemed a tad all over the place - still massively enjoyable and quite nostalgic considering it could be the last blast round the old configuration of Donnington.

I was surprised by just how much heavy earth moving seemed to be occuring round by Macleans and Copse, maybe this British Grand Prix will happen after all ???
Old 6 Sep 2009, 17:12 (Ref:2535400)   #43
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
First and foremost what a smashing bloke that Mike Bell is.Thanks for all your help Mike.OK i guess it all started in the collecting area for GTSCC race.Had a nice long chat to JT"still could not persuade him back to the motor home for a cuppa.What we were doing there about one hour before qualifying i do not know? Jim had his mate who does some tuition for him driving and he wanted to get out early well i do the same but not with still two sessions to go before hand. Anyway going off topic but you might see where this is leading too.Eventually off he goes and all's well then he pits Jim gets in and off he goes." All OK i say "yes yes very nice. Then after a couple off laps Jim pulls off past the pits with the broken Lotus17. I run down and Jim tries to tell me that the car has no drive then his co driver starts telling me that he thought the car was lifting a its rear wheels going over the Craner curves " whats all that about and why o why Jim did not call in the pits as he said something was wrong when he was out on track.So we now have to wait until qualifying has finished and get the Lotus back to paddock.With Mike's help we quickly decide diff's broke and set about changing the unit In workshop this job takes around four hours.Jim and mate ask if there is anything they can do to help and i politely tell them to go for lunch." bet you thought i was going to say something else" Ah Ha.Me and my son Stewart dive in and start changing diff then a good friend came and helped me but just as i had the new unit in the cars were called for BRDC race that i was doing with Jim and at that point i called us all to slow down as we were never going to make the race. Pi--ed off.!!!!. Just then Marcus Pye came by and i was not in the mood for talking until he said there was still another 30 mins before the start of the race. " Every Body Back" please.All back together get Jim in car and he has to start from pit lane as we just missed the start.Jimdrives well but is lapped by the class leader just as he is coming in for me to take over. Now i had given up hope of winning the class but i wanted to beat my mentor Alan Baillee who was driving a Cooper Bobtail sure enough i catch him in the race towards the end and get by him under braking at Macleans."enjoyed that". Then up ahead was car no 42 Ah Ha can i try and unlap myself to look a bit respectable. Do the job under breaking last lap last corner and take the chequered flag.Went to prize giving thinking we were 2nd in class but somehow Duncan Wiltshire announced me and Jim were the winners . Happy of what.PS Sunday morning made Marcus Pye a cup of tea and apologized for being so rude the day before.And they all lived happy ever after.
Sunday morning got up early and did a couple of laps on my push bike felt a little sad but glad after 30 years i have finally got an Donnington memento.
Old 6 Sep 2009, 17:19 (Ref:2535408)   #44
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Had a chance to walk around the paddock ,i thought the atmosphere with all the pre war cars was just fantastic.Fitting final Donington meeting i thought.
Old 6 Sep 2009, 19:28 (Ref:2535478)   #45
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Iain, only sorry I couldn't help more! Was itching to get stuck and and help change the unit having got to know James's 11 diff very well at Dijon last year, but needed to get him out with racing head on. ( Bet he reads this!) You only missed proper start by a minute or so and I was well impressed when I saw Jim drive up pitlane. Anyway, best result there could have been with James winning his class after a faultless run and Jim / You winning yours! Disappointed you turned down the meatfeast barbecue, though, with the lame excuse of 'having' to go for a run with Stewart later on..... Catch up with you at G'wood or Spa!
Old 6 Sep 2009, 19:47 (Ref:2535486)   #46
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
PIty some one lifted four or five wallets.Getting to be a regular feature of racing in UK.
We agreed between us to pull two of our cars after practise as the drivers were making police reports and cancelling charge cards.
It's crap!
Old 6 Sep 2009, 20:04 (Ref:2535496)   #47
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Silverstone Classic ,next truck too me all drivers got changed then when out racing thats what happened to them. Wallets found later in the paddock less all the money. Very very sad.
Old 6 Sep 2009, 20:07 (Ref:2535499)   #48
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
They tried to withdraw cash on cards within minutes.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 07:01 (Ref:2535648)   #49
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
PIty some one lifted four or five wallets.Getting to be a regular feature of racing in UK.
We agreed between us to pull two of our cars after practise as the drivers were making police reports and cancelling charge cards.
It's crap!
Agree wholeheartedly John, Two-Names was another to have his wallet lifted between practice and race on Saturday
Old 7 Sep 2009, 07:09 (Ref:2535651)   #50
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Had a chance to walk around the paddock ,i thought the atmosphere with all the pre war cars was just fantastic.Fitting final Donington meeting i thought.
Yes, only one small comment lack of times given for various events, nearly missed the Spitfire performed at a height way above the normal flight path of the Costapacket jets.