Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 6 Oct 2020, 10:27 (Ref:4008813)   #2716
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!Mike Harte has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
We were locked-out of a friend's BMW 7-Series one day when parked not far from MI5 (or is it MI6?) on the South Bank. The BMW man who came to our rescue said they had quite a few similar call-outs to cars in that area...

Cue X-files type music!
Old 6 Oct 2020, 10:47 (Ref:4008815)   #2717
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
We were locked-out of a friend's BMW 7-Series one day when parked not far from MI5 (or is it MI6?) on the South Bank. The BMW man who came to our rescue said they had quite a few similar call-outs to cars in that area...
MI6 at Vauxhall Bridge.
Old 6 Oct 2020, 11:43 (Ref:4008821)   #2718
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Some years ago in Ankara we used to have problems with mobile phones, especially blackberrys when passing the US Embassy. One American lawyer colleague had her phone completely crash, "bricked" as it were.
In the current circumstances, we need to do all we can to help local businesses. With this in mind I suggest we all schedule our visits to the pub so we can keep the 2m social distancing and whilst there get completely slamied for two hours before handing over to the next shift.

It probably won't stop the virus but nobody would care.
Old 6 Oct 2020, 12:22 (Ref:4008828)   #2719
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Cue X-files type music!
Good to see you, Mike!
David Vincent disappeared while driving a rusty Corolla, same thing for Fox Mulder when he tried to escape with his Senator! They both are now living in a strange village, David became # 12 and Fox # 14. Sorry can't say more about this for obvious reasons! The Village is within all of us…
Old 6 Oct 2020, 12:38 (Ref:4008830)   #2720
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Good to see you, Mike!
David Vincent disappeared while driving a rusty Corolla, same thing for Fox Mulder when he tried to escape with his Senator! They both are now living in a strange village, David became # 12 and Fox # 14. Sorry can't say more about this for obvious reasons! The Village is within all of us…
You sound as though you are living in a strange place also, Gerard.
Old 6 Oct 2020, 14:20 (Ref:4008840)   #2721
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think he's been eating too much cheese again!
Old 6 Oct 2020, 15:23 (Ref:4008849)   #2722
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've entered the Twilight Zone!
Old 6 Oct 2020, 16:39 (Ref:4008862)   #2723
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
grant, regarding your central locking issues you may be looking too deeply for an explanation to the problem. The wiring to all the locks pass through into the door from the pillar near to the hinge, so flex every time you open or close the door. In 15 years, the drivers door (if none of the others) will have been opened & closed a lot of times which could have caused some of these wires to fracture internally (how many times do you have to bend a wire coat hanger before it breaks?) Initially the wire inside the insulation will break, but as the insulation is still intact it can hold the broken wire pieces almost together, sometimes making enough contact, and something not.
As far as your physical key issue, I would say that the most logical explanation is that as some time in its life, the Corolla has had a replacement ignition barrel that was not matched to the car and therefore uses a different key. Often when the vehicles are newer with fully functioning remote central locking this potential problem is overlooked, it's only when you start to experience the problems that you are having that it comes to light. It might be a good idea to check this out before you reach the stage that you're unable to unlock you car. You can guarantee that when that happens it will be at the most inconvenient time!

True enough but we have no problems at all at home or anywhere else so far.

Plus, of course, it's a Toyota.

As for history - we bought it 1 year old. If had previously been a Toyota employee car for the wife of one of the Japanese people working at the factory at Burnaston (we were told by the Toyota main dealer).

I don't recall any previous issues with the locks and we probably have never attempted to unlock the car with the key although I do recall Management getting stuck in the village with a failed Battery a few years ago. I think the central locking still worked on what power was available. So far as I recall. Or she had unlocked and then the failure occurred.

Think I'll check the manual and dig out the spare key and experiment next time we head over to the problem location.
Old 6 Oct 2020, 17:08 (Ref:4008866)   #2724
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

England
Mallory Park
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Somewhere over the rainbow

Mallory this afternoon during a Javelin Trackday
Attached Thumbnails
Mallory Rainbow.jpg  
Old 6 Oct 2020, 20:19 (Ref:4008900)   #2725
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerard C should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Shttttt "They" are everywhere. I think Grant's Toy has been kidnapped and abused by Them… May be several times! Easy to spot, the steering wheel is on the right!
Old 6 Oct 2020, 20:31 (Ref:4008902)   #2726
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Shttttt "They" are everywhere. I think Grant's Toy has been kidnapped and abused by Them… May be several times! Easy to spot, the steering wheel is on the right!
Wearing a muzzle for too long can addle your brain, you know.
Old 7 Oct 2020, 04:57 (Ref:4008935)   #2727
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
Addle my what?
Old 7 Oct 2020, 07:01 (Ref:4008949)   #2728
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Addle my what?

Exactly!
Old 7 Oct 2020, 09:00 (Ref:4008966)   #2729
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place
I'm an ol'rider ya no…*
Old 8 Oct 2020, 09:46 (Ref:4009122)   #2730
Gerard C
Veteran

French Polynesia
My place

Andy, had a spare thought for you last night watching this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCXMx7RcZ5I
Hope you're sorted out with the wiring loom, if not build one with bricks!