Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 4 Jan 2021, 13:58 (Ref:4026704)   #76
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With, Max recording childhood memories of playing cowboys & Indians at Castle Combe, on the Picture parade, and the constant flow of "I remember ......", posts here, I suggest we start a new Forum, especially for these reminiscences

I think 'The Nostalgia Foru .... er... Thread, would fit the bill.
Old 4 Jan 2021, 16:35 (Ref:4026750)   #77
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Just received a card from my friends in Dinan
Dinan in France? What a medieval wonder. There's a small company belonging to Brits I think, organizing river cruises on the Rance with electrically engined boats. Did you test this? The small harbor is good looking too.

Bob? Jealous!
Old 4 Jan 2021, 16:51 (Ref:4026755)   #78
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
With, Max recording childhood memories of playing cowboys & Indians at Castle Combe, on the Picture parade, and the constant flow of "I remember ......", posts here, I suggest we start a new Forum, especially for these reminiscences

I think 'The Nostalgia Foru .... er... Thread, would fit the bill.
Remember though, nostalgia's not what it used to be
Old 4 Jan 2021, 17:12 (Ref:4026757)   #79
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
But that's mostly because they don't make it like they used to!
Old 4 Jan 2021, 20:11 (Ref:4026800)   #80
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Surtout vers la fin!
Old 4 Jan 2021, 20:54 (Ref:4026820)   #81
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2021 - same old, same old. Race licence arrived this morning, lock down @ 20:00. Happy new flippin year.
Old 4 Jan 2021, 23:19 (Ref:4026853)   #82
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Dinan in France? What a medieval wonder. There's a small company belonging to Brits I think, organizing river cruises on the Rance with electrically engined boats. Did you test this? The small harbor is good looking too.

C'est ca! One of my friends from my teenage years married a Frenchman and settled over there many years ago - they have a few Gites at Les Sables, but have largely retired to Dinan, now. Dinan a very quait town - or it was when I visited quite a few years ago. For a few years my friend used to teach English to the Customs officers at St Malo - and joked that anyone landing there would be greeted by a Frenchman with a Bury, Lancashire accent
Old 4 Jan 2021, 23:23 (Ref:4026855)   #83
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Watching TV tonight and there was a new series - Traces - on BBC at 9pm. Set in Dundee, apparently, and I guess anyone who knows the area would have fun spotting locations.......

But then there was a scene of two of the main protagonists chatting by phone, and one was standing outside the pub I was weened in - our "school" pub, the Two Tubs, and the other was standing outside the Millgate shopping centre. Both of which are in Bury, Lancashire........

Wierd how these TV people do things
Old 5 Jan 2021, 08:24 (Ref:4026898)   #84
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Watching TV tonight and there was a new series - Traces - on BBC at 9pm. Set in Dundee, apparently, and I guess anyone who knows the area would have fun spotting locations.......

But then there was a scene of two of the main protagonists chatting by phone, and one was standing outside the pub I was weened in - our "school" pub, the Two Tubs, and the other was standing outside the Millgate shopping centre. Both of which are in Bury, Lancashire........

Wierd how these TV people do things

Yes, it is WEIRD! (weaned, as well)

John Thor's programme, Morse, was often filmed in and around Hertfordshire; that may, or not I don't know, have something to do with the fact that a lot of TV and film production is based in Elstree. I lived in Radlett, Herts. which is down the road from Elstree, for many years, and their TV production company took over the Mann Egerton showroom on the main street for a few days to film one episode that was supposed to be in Oxford. Whilst another episode was filmed at Brocket Hall which is in Lemsford, near Old Welwyn, which is where I moved to when I divorced. A number of scenes were also shot at the pub that my partner and I used to frequent, The Crooked Chimney which is almost opposite the Hall.
Old 5 Jan 2021, 08:54 (Ref:4026903)   #85
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's a famous James Bond/Roger Moore scene where he enters a temple at Giza, and exits at Sakkara which is many,.many, many miles away.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 5 Jan 2021, 08:59 (Ref:4026904)   #86
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dunno about that but I'm not moving to Midsomer!
Old 5 Jan 2021, 09:22 (Ref:4026908)   #87
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Dunno about that but I'm not moving to Midsomer!
That is a very popular series here in France, where it is known simply as 'Barnaby'.

For some strange reason 'Vera' is also popular.

Last edited by John Elwin; 5 Jan 2021 at 09:23. Reason: Correction
Old 5 Jan 2021, 09:35 (Ref:4026909)   #88
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The film “Revolution” (starring Natasha Kinski and Al Pacino) was filmed substantially in King’s Lynn, including filming some scenes in a school friends house. Awful film by the way. Anyway, with very few changes, apart from trying to hide the grain towers with fake warehouse facias built around them (with the towers still poking out of the top), KL in 1985 looked very similar to New York in 1776 apparently. What that says about the pace of development in Norfolk I will leave you to ponder.
In one scene I remember the stars travelling up river from the quay area for several hours, might have been days, to the edge of a battlefield; they ended up filming this in Castle Rising. a) there is no river in Castle Rising and b) if they had caught the 410 bus they would have been there in 20 minutes!
Old 5 Jan 2021, 11:44 (Ref:4026924)   #89
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I see we share the same way to spot strange things in movies. My favorite is during stunts, when a car is seen damaged, then untouched, then damaged again or has a host wheel cover disappearing and reappearing. I know what it takes because made some stunts in the past. Its a real headache for the "script girl"!
Old 5 Jan 2021, 12:22 (Ref:4026937)   #90
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've been watching old episodes of the Sweeney on Prime, or Betflix, anyway the same S Type Jag rears its rather dented rear end in many episodes.
Old 5 Jan 2021, 12:35 (Ref:4026941)   #91
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I've been watching old episodes of the Sweeney on Prime, or Betflix, anyway the same S Type Jag rears its rather dented rear end in many episodes.
'Back in the day' I had a colleague who had a friend who's job it was to source Mk2 & S-Type Jags for the makers of The Sweeney etc.
Old 5 Jan 2021, 12:47 (Ref:4026945)   #92
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
When you spot an XJ in any US movies or series, you know it won't last. The car bursts in pieces few seconds after appearing! Second hand ones must be for free over there.
Old 5 Jan 2021, 13:32 (Ref:4026962)   #93
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Yes, it is WEIRD! (weaned, as well)

Always have a blind spot about "weird" - don't know why, I'm normally very pedantic about spelling. Other errors I'll blame on my (mis-)typing

I'm waiting to hear from my mate in Dundee how many other locations were effectively re-located
Old 5 Jan 2021, 14:15 (Ref:4026973)   #94
saaben
Rookie

saaben should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone else notice in The Crown,that when President Kennedy visited the Queen at Buckingham Palace in 1961.the Presidents car had an A reg plate?

1963 was A. It was Austin Cambridge shape I think.
Old 5 Jan 2021, 14:23 (Ref:4026975)   #95
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I see we share the same way to spot strange things in movies. My favorite is during stunts, when a car is seen damaged, then untouched, then damaged again or has a host wheel cover disappearing and reappearing. I know what it takes because made some stunts in the past. Its a real headache for the "script girl"!

There are only so many times you can close roads or use locations let alone replace and re-fettle the cars. Just chop the footage around to pad out the time line and hope people will not notice that it's the same activity shot by a different camera. At best.

These days most acting or activity seems to be done in front of green or blue screens which can later be made to look like anything one wishes it so be.

This must be especially handy in our socially distanced times.

And some Instagram posts by successful young influencers. Apparently.
Old 5 Jan 2021, 14:36 (Ref:4026982)   #96
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
I studied at the Royal Naval College, Greenwich in the early 1990s and that was often used as a film venue. We were there when the opening scenes of “Patriot Games” (a film of a Tom Clancy book) was being filmed, (Greenwich College was meant to represent Buckingham Palace, I think), only no one told us and we walked out from the Wardroom towards the study block and were confused by the number of Black Cabs and other cars just doing circuits on the main (internal) road. Some bloke shouted “cut” and we got a *******ing for getting in the shot where the Prince of Wales was supposedly about to be kidnapped by the IRA! I think the star was Pierce Brosnan but we were so confused that we didn’t even notice.
We were also there when they filmed Four Weddings and A Funeral in the College Chapel.
I can’t remember which film it was,at a similar time, that was being filmed in Greenwich Park with the Royal Observatory as the classy backdrop. Unfortunately no one had told the film makers that the Observatory was going to be covered in scaffolding that summer for a major refurb and they then had to build their own scaffold structure to host a very large painting of the observatory on it to use as the backdrop and hide the real, scaffold encased building. Bizarre!
Old 5 Jan 2021, 14:57 (Ref:4026994)   #97
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry to interrupt the flow of trivia, just to let you know that I am due to get my first 'jab' on Sunday!

Silverstone here I come.(perhaps)
Old 5 Jan 2021, 16:45 (Ref:4027017)   #98
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are one of the pioneers. Are you getting the Oxford or the Pfizer yankee job? Please keep us all informed how you react to it, Bob. Also, any side effects which may pop up as time goes by.

That way those of us in later age groups can decide whether or not to have the jab.
Old 5 Jan 2021, 16:54 (Ref:4027019)   #99
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Sorry to interrupt the flow of trivia, just to let you know that I am due to get my first 'jab' on Sunday!

Silverstone here I come.(perhaps)
Good luck with the jab Baub, I hope it all goes well.
(Blimey! Did I really just write that?)
Old 5 Jan 2021, 17:17 (Ref:4027029)   #100
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Mrs Delta works for NHS and she has had the vaccine. Glad you are getting your dose our Bob. Good luck.
Closed Thread