Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 3 Apr 2015, 21:56 (Ref:3523552)   #276
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey ! Hey ! lets be nice to the hippies Man They are all senior citizens now lol
Old 3 Apr 2015, 22:00 (Ref:3523555)   #277
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baldwin View Post
Hey ! Hey ! lets be nice to the hippies Man They are all senior citizens now lol
Far from it.

L.P.
Old 3 Apr 2015, 22:20 (Ref:3523563)   #278
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
And less of what? Add some there, you must take away from somewhere else.

What road courses are there in the "midwest"? I really don't know of other options there other than current events. Miller is terrible, but that's not really mid west. Topeka?

Northwest too. All I know is Portland, that can actually hold an event. I'd love to see PIR added, if the hippies will allow it.
Take away from somewhere else? No not the case at all. P and GTLM can run 11 rounds. GTD at 10. LMPC at 10 or 9. This way you can have a 13th race somewhere.
Old 3 Apr 2015, 22:32 (Ref:3523570)   #279
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
Take away from somewhere else? No not the case at all. P and GTLM can run 11 rounds. GTD at 10. LMPC at 10 or 9. This way you can have a 13th race somewhere.
Fair enough on splits. So where is somewhere to add and why spilt, other than Lime rock and current street courses?
Old 3 Apr 2015, 22:45 (Ref:3523572)   #280
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
I think Lime Rock could support a Stand alone GTD/ Gt3 event IF / And you wanted to throw in also the Conti series along with it .
Old 4 Apr 2015, 01:07 (Ref:3523606)   #281
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think Lime Rock could support a Stand alone GTD/ Gt3 event IF / And you wanted to throw in also the Conti series along with it .
Agree completly. Lime Rock is perfect for a GT3 only race next year. As far as an extra track goes? I hope that IMSA can arrange a stand alone street event somewhere. Free from the shackles of Indy Car and fake celebrity racing. Here you can have split class races at least 2 hours each in length.
Old 4 Apr 2015, 01:22 (Ref:3523611)   #282
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No more street courses, please, unless you remove a current one . Mid Ohio and the aforementioned PIR before another street race.
Old 4 Apr 2015, 01:31 (Ref:3523614)   #283
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
No more street courses, please, unless you remove a current one . Mid Ohio and the aforementioned PIR before another street race.
I like the idea of a full series race with Indycar at Cleveland.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 4 Apr 2015, 01:40 (Ref:3523615)   #284
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
I like the idea of a full series race with Indycar at Cleveland.
I'd be ALL for that but thought racing there was dead with little chance of revival. I am speaking of "newly" formed street events, like Houston and Baltimore verses established purpose built facilities. I'd rather have the later.
Old 4 Apr 2015, 01:46 (Ref:3523616)   #285
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Cleveland would be amazing.

LRP should be GTD/GTLM...
Old 4 Apr 2015, 08:23 (Ref:3523675)   #286
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I'm still not 100% convinced that there will a massive boom in GTD numbers next year. If you just look at the number of 2015 GTD machines that aren't running this year, I don't think it's reasonable to assume many will be turning up with brand new GT3 cars next season, unless PWC disillusions too many this year.

Hope I'm wrong though!
Old 4 Apr 2015, 08:32 (Ref:3523679)   #287
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
I'm still not 100% convinced that there will a massive boom in GTD numbers next year. If you just look at the number of 2015 GTD machines that aren't running this year, I don't think it's reasonable to assume many will be turning up with brand new GT3 cars next season, unless PWC disillusions too many this year.

Hope I'm wrong though!
And even if so - I think the cost to compete in Tudor with so many hours of racing is still quite prohibitive for many teams. They might simply park it or do a season in Europe if they aren't sold on PWC anymore.

On the other hand - maybe IMSA should work on that angle - try to reduce costs for their GT3-competitors? If they did stand alone GT3-races at some events - say half of them -and used the BSS-format with two drivers per car and no refuelling/tire changes that would probably be a bit more cost effective than even PWC. They could hand out a separate championship for the sprint series and have a trophy for all-amateur cars there as well, so it'd be worthwhile for teams to come out just for the sprint races to make up the numbers when needed while still not cluttering up the enduros.
Old 4 Apr 2015, 15:15 (Ref:3523822)   #288
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Isn't IMSA looking into a separate GT3 series? I fully expect an increase of GTD runners next year, especially at the start of the year enduros, I'm taking it that a lot of Am drivers (especially from Europe) have those races on their bucket list and now they can have a go with their existing car or hire a ride in familiar equipment.

It might also be more cost effective for teams as they can use and rent out the exact same car for both PWC and TUSC. I think were gonna see quite a bit of cross-over between the 2 (maybe 3 by next year?) series. Also supporting a couple of stand alone GTD (GT3) races running the regular 2h45 duration.
Old 4 Apr 2015, 16:53 (Ref:3523850)   #289
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I believe Scott Atherton put out a statement about IMSA looking towards a GT3 Sprint series (if that isn't the kiss of death .... )

On the other hand, SRO (Stephane Ratell) and PWC have just singed a multi-year agreement to do GT3 series, so teams in PWC could conceivably expand to Europe or vice-versa.

It seems both sanctioning bodies are counting on a swell of the GT3 ranks ... this being north American sportcs car racing, the most likely outcome is that both series fail.
Old 4 Apr 2015, 16:57 (Ref:3523852)   #290
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I believe Scott Atherton put out a statement about IMSA looking towards a GT3 Sprint series (if that isn't the kiss of death .... )

On the other hand, SRO (Stephane Ratell) and PWC have just singed a multi-year agreement to do GT3 series, so teams in PWC could conceivably expand to Europe or vice-versa.

It seems both sanctioning bodies are counting on a swell of the GT3 ranks ... this being north American sportcs car racing, the most likely outcome is that both series fail.
Reps from the SRO were at Sebring.

Le' Rat is the sneakiest of the sneaky.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 4 Apr 2015, 17:10 (Ref:3523858)   #291
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe Stephane didn't like what he saw at Sebring and went full ahead with the SCCA deal at St Pete.

IIRC I believe it was his first busines visit to Japan last year since Suzuka 1000km FIA GT tie-up in the 90's, and now he's looking at States
Old 4 Apr 2015, 17:18 (Ref:3523860)   #292
jasonjessica09
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

I just can't see that happen the idea seems terrible. What is more likely is that you could see the current GTD category run its own race or run with just the LMPC cars. Perhaps what can be done to is you can restrict the ride height and decrease the air restrictor of the LMPC cars next year to balance their speed with the GT3's and you can have battles for overall wins between the two categories. Which could get the Bentley boys more interested in running among others who don't want to be in the secondary class all the time. That is not difficult by the way. The LMPC cars before their Sebring AoP changes are probably pretty darn close to GT3 speeds.

The only events you really need to have all 4 classes run together in 2016 are the 4 NAEC races, Road America, and COTA. I know there are a lot of you "it has to be all four classes running together in every race" type. But trust me these 6 races are enough. The other events can be split and give a unique feel to it. This is not a radical idea folks. It was common right up until the formation of the ALMS.

Last edited by jasonjessica09; 4 Apr 2015 at 17:25.
Old 4 Apr 2015, 18:06 (Ref:3523871)   #293
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Isn't IMSA looking into a separate GT3 series? I fully expect an increase of GTD runners next year, especially at the start of the year enduros, I'm taking it that a lot of Am drivers (especially from Europe) have those races on their bucket list and now they can have a go with their existing car or hire a ride in familiar equipment.

It might also be more cost effective for teams as they can use and rent out the exact same car for both PWC and TUSC. I think were gonna see quite a bit of cross-over between the 2 (maybe 3 by next year?) series. Also supporting a couple of stand alone GTD (GT3) races running the regular 2h45 duration.
Coach Ep: Not so sure I agree with you on that ! Let me First get one thing out of the way . I am not trying to profile anyone here just easier for me to use certain words . So on my part no offense is intended .
I was told by IMSA that a third ? series at this time was Not going to happen . It was not cost effective . It was however considering having 1 maybe 2 events for GT3 and the Conti series as stand alone events . I had posted my comments previously . I would love to see this happen particularly at Lime Rock . But ultimately that would be the race promoters choice to decide .
As far as Europeans AM's go Yeah we might see it at Daytona , Sebring , Petite at Road Atlanta , Though I don't see that much happening at " the Glen " The 3 mentioned Enduro events to my way of thinking do represent a Global Mindset . While the Glen is certainly an American Institution ,I don't think it carries the recognition that the other 3 do .
I suppose we will always see some European , South American , Asian ? drivers in DP and GTLM . Though I can't seem to recall any Asian PRO drivers venturing over here lately to do such .
As far as European AM drivers go , Yes for 2016 and beyond it would be great to see that happen and to some extent may bring awareness to how they stack up against us . Again as far as the present GTD class goes I just don't recall if the european Am drivers have made a presence or not .
In the same context we can probably count on one hand the number of AM drivers that have competed in Europe in the GT3 class at least in the past few years . As far as USA AM drivers having gone to any Asian Series I am very much inclined to think that number may be closer to O .
The other thing that often confuses me is that Many times when you read PR releases or interviews with South American drivers they almost always seem to indicate their chosen path is to go to Europe . Why not the USA ? Perhaps their goal is Single seater open wheel . It all depends on " How much Funding they are bringing with them " I suppose .
As to your comments about PWC To me a majority of the at least 5 teams in PWC to a great extent are using PRO drivers that should really surprise no one .
As far as AM drivers go with the exception of LM which is the top of the totem pole in sportscar racing . Yes you might see some AM drivers with the $$$'s doing a few European events But how many "Teams " at the GTD / GT3 level would pack up their equipment and do a Major event at a track like say " SPA " I don't recall any doing that .
Strangely the one person that comes to mind is Christina Neilson ? coming over through AM / TRG doing the whole series ? Though I don't know if that is through Funding or she bring the sponsorship ?
Old 4 Apr 2015, 18:47 (Ref:3523881)   #294
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Maybe Stephane didn't like what he saw at Sebring and went full ahead with the SCCA deal at St Pete.

IIRC I believe it was his first busines visit to Japan last year since Suzuka 1000km FIA GT tie-up in the 90's, and now he's looking at States
Completely plausible. There were a number of SRO officials on the Grid at St. Pete.
Old 4 Apr 2015, 19:12 (Ref:3523885)   #295
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I suppose we will always see some European , South American , Asian ? drivers in DP and GTLM . Though I can't seem to recall any Asian PRO drivers venturing over here lately to do such.
South American should perhaps be found own GT/Prototype series. I know that they have a strong own Stock Car Brasil/Super TC 2000 etc, but still might try to LMP/GT class.
Old 4 Apr 2015, 20:08 (Ref:3523895)   #296
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Completely plausible. There were a number of SRO officials on the Grid at St. Pete.
I suppose I would have liked to be a Fly on the wall when the SRO Group had some conversations with the TUDOR /IMSA People I guess we will never know
Old 4 Apr 2015, 20:16 (Ref:3523899)   #297
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurski View Post
South American should perhaps be found own GT/Prototype series. I know that they have a strong own Stock Car Brasil/Super TC 2000 etc, but still might try to LMP/GT class.
Kurski : I am a little familar with the stockcar program . Occasionally we hear / read about some rallying type events in South America .
Not sure about a LMP series but would think GT3 / GT4 might be popular with some competitors and fans .
If you consider F-1 Road Racing ? Wasn't Senna considered just one step below GOD ?
Old 4 Apr 2015, 20:33 (Ref:3523903)   #298
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No, South America is dead affair.

* The was a SRO affiliated GT3+GT4 series in Brazil between 2007-2013 before it died due to lack of interest
* FIA GT raced at Portrero de los Funes - and once at Interlagos - before the events got canned. Alright more to do with SRO backing off and their own series collapsing, but still not much help from the locals
* ACO events at Interlagos have had low entry counts (without local cars) and organizational disputes
* The Venezuelan oil/whatever money pump is slowly collapsing, and besides it's not really directed at regional series
* The touring car series are more the equivalent of V8 Supercars and dominate the 'market'

Last edited by Deleted; 4 Apr 2015 at 20:39.
Old 4 Apr 2015, 20:46 (Ref:3523906)   #299
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And less of what? Add some there, you must take away from somewhere else.

What road courses are there in the "midwest"? I really don't know of other options there other than current events. Miller is terrible, but that's not really mid west. Topeka?

Northwest too. All I know is Portland, that can actually hold an event. I'd love to see PIR added, if the hippies will allow it.

I would love it if the series ran in my home state, but Heartland park is having money troubles from what I heard.

Kansas speedway is no good, it draws flies.
Indy makes anything less then 100,000 look terrible, and I really don't like the layout but if it teamed up with Indycar then maybe it could work.

But I would say Mid-Ohio would be a good safe bet for Midwest expansion.

I wish however GT racing in general would give the Plain States a little love here.
There's just a bunch a club circuits here.
Old 4 Apr 2015, 21:12 (Ref:3523909)   #300
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
I would love it if the series ran in my home state, but Heartland park is having money troubles from what I heard.

Kansas speedway is no good, it draws flies.
Indy makes anything less then 100,000 look terrible, and I really don't like the layout but if it teamed up with Indycar then maybe it could work.

But I would say Mid-Ohio would be a good safe bet for Midwest expansion.

I wish however GT racing in general would give the Plain States a little love here.
There's just a bunch a club circuits here.
There isn't much of anything in the mid-west or plain states.

Blackhawk in IL is a pure club circuit, though, it'd be a neat place to watch a GT3 race!

Brainerd is open, but, used way more for NHRA, and drag racing.

Heartland Park sucks. There, I said it.

That's it.