Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 17 Oct 2016, 11:28 (Ref:3680880)   #26
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnageWRC View Post
You have to fear that MN is possibly not needed. There simply isn't the readership for it. There isn't even a dedicated monthly rally magazine anymore (not counting Pacenotes) as there isn't the interest. Same as the rally annuals no longer produced; Rallycourse, and the Martin Holmes Pirelli Yearly.
Where they could be a way of at least reporting results would be if (under which ever title they see fits best) they collated all the results sheets from MST/TSL, etc from the club events so at least the results from a race weekend were in presented in once palce with entry lists, grid, race results and champ positions were altogether.
Old 17 Oct 2016, 11:35 (Ref:3680883)   #27
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They used to do results, I know this because I used to have to type them in, sporting scene was an arduous task of compiling an entire page of stock car, autograss, trials etc, took hours! And woe betide if you got a surname wrong, phone call that week for sure!
What was a waste of time were letters pages, tv guides, previews. All took two pages and no one bloody read them! In fact I wrote quite a few letters myself! lol

It isn't very editorial, hard to read and looks crap, but it is fairly important.
Old 17 Oct 2016, 11:39 (Ref:3680884)   #28
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
It truly is a shame

I can remember reading 2 page F300 resports in MN and 4 page WRC reports where almost every stage was covered in some detail.

I don't think it is simply readers, it is publishers and editors too, design has come into magazines far more than it should have done and that style is being led by colleges, teachers etc.

I would buy a magazine for 3 quid a week that had 2 page F3 reports full of text and 4 page WRC reports with 2 pics in.

Wouldn't you? So why has it changed? It cant just be the way people are, it is led by all sorts of things!!
Having worked on some media partnerships with some of the big publishing houses, for something like motor racing and for even a weekly publication a lot of serious fans (from an overall shrinking readership) already know the results, the talking points and reaction to a race weekend on Sunday evening after the race, so by the time a publication comes out on Wed/Thurs it is old news. This in turn has led them to become more feature based which in turn is not so 'time sensitive' when it goes out.

The same is happening with car mags, sites like Motor 1 (part of motorsport.com) cover new car news, tests everyday in a quick easy to digest format and carbuyer covers the cars with short video road tests so the viewers doesn't need to read 10 pages of a road test to get a veiw on a car.

I am an old dinosaur who likes to have a magazine or paper to read and I don't really want to squint at it on my tablet, but I do get pretty much all my news in this format, but I wouldn't want to read a full magazine like this yet.
Old 17 Oct 2016, 11:42 (Ref:3680885)   #29
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
They used to do results, I know this because I used to have to type them in, sporting scene was an arduous task of compiling an entire page of stock car, autograss, trials etc, took hours! And woe betide if you got a surname wrong, phone call that week for sure!
What was a waste of time were letters pages, tv guides, previews. All took two pages and no one bloody read them! In fact I wrote quite a few letters myself! lol

It isn't very editorial, hard to read and looks crap, but it is fairly important.
Yep, looks like it was hard work, nowadays MST, etc could just upload all their pdf results to a central club motorsport database at Autosport/MNews or whatever where they could be accessed from say Monday morning. All this info is out there already, but scattered around various timing and club websites, but easy to centralise, you would think.
Old 17 Oct 2016, 17:59 (Ref:3680952)   #30
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In my day it was just starting to come in via email, but some of it was over the bloody phone! Not much phone I can tell you!
Old 20 Oct 2016, 19:28 (Ref:3681644)   #31
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Autosport certainly didn't stay 'pretty much the same ' during the time I read it - 1970 to 2005. From the early 90s it slid down the pan until it ended up as a picture heavy F1 fanzine with bite size factoid editorial content . Club racing coverage was pushed to the back pages and ever more marginalised - how Marcus Pye sticks it I really don't know.F1 dominates year round- when was there a cover without some banner headline publicising another non story?

But it isn't Autosport's fault - it's the public to blame . For nearly all of them motorsport is F1 and nothing else. And like most magazines- with the honourable exception of Motor Sport- they are designed for people with the attention span of an ant . As Simon Taylor said re his excellent 'lunch with ' series the only thing better than a 1000 word article for most editors is now a 750 word one ...

Absolutely!!
Old 4 Feb 2017, 12:38 (Ref:3709352)   #32
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have started to notice on autosport.com articles that it now says '....told Autosport's sister title Motorsport.com'

Is this a case of Autosport trying to plant the name of the new relation in the minds of readers, or a case of Autosport republishing other publications work and a sign of times to come when Autosport will be re-branded in the UK as Motorsport or just cease to exist.

I know Autosport is not taken as seriously in the motorsport bubble as it once was, but are people now more willing to talk to an american publication than a british one.

It was interesting to see the first trade day this years Autosport International was opened (speech,ribbon,scissors) by Zak Brown. It was purely an ego trip by the owner of motorsport network, and has not been done in previous years by the bosses of Haymarket Media.

I think Autosport/Motorsport News are on the slippery slope to extinction.
Old 4 Feb 2017, 12:48 (Ref:3709356)   #33
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In fact, there are now three website titles that are virtually the same. As you say, Autosport and Motorsport are officially in the same stable, but Racer F1 re-publishes all Autosport dot com's free output, word for word with printed acknowledgements to Autosport on every article.

Racer was sold to Haymarket, but the original founder bought it back at a later date.
Old 4 Feb 2017, 13:01 (Ref:3709359)   #34
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem that print publications have is the internet, news happens too quickly for daily/weekly/monthly print versions.

Why buy Autosport/Motorsport News to read news articles that are rehashed versions of the website.

The in-depth articles are too based around F1, are usually focused on one obliging team and end up as a PR piece for that team, with little of interest to the reader. The authors of the articles are hardly well known journalists with a long cv and years of experience (Nigel Roebuck & Matt James being the exceptions).

Like I have said before, I won't be surprised to see Motorsport News close at the end of this year, and Autosport go to an online only edition. My local newsagent doesn't stock MN any longer and only has a copy of Autosport saved for a customer.
Old 6 Feb 2017, 10:29 (Ref:3710429)   #35
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Part of the problem is also the prices

MN and Autosport and a lot of car magazines to be honest are ridiculously overpriced to deal with the falling readership.

So let them die, no-one will miss them after a few months, I certainly didn't when I stopped. And realised it was simply habit and a pointless loyalty that kelp me reading the few I used to buy regularly. Rather annoyed me that I kept buying it for so long actually.

Magazines and newspapers have not been about readers for a very long time, having worked on one or two they are about publishers and what staff or just one person THINKS you want to read, not what you actually want to read.
Old 6 Feb 2017, 11:04 (Ref:3710445)   #36
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'd hate to lose them, they are one of the few reliable new sources and always good to read a few stories of yesteryear
Old 6 Feb 2017, 11:23 (Ref:3710449)   #37
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I don't think all of them will disappear but they are struggling. As far as I can recall the readership on most mens interest magazines and newspapers has been falling or over a decade now.

The growth in magazines I would think (without doing research) is things like Marvel DC, Doctor WHo, Star Wars, womens mags, male fitness, MMA, body art, celebrity and perhaps also science and history. Trends in essence.

They do follow the general public obviously, and simply put the public are not as interested in cars as they used to be.
Old 6 Feb 2017, 13:26 (Ref:3710487)   #38
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In a related note, I've cancelled a couple of the subscriptions I had to print magazines and for roughly the same amount each month subscription to the tablet app "Readly" which allows you to read hundreds of magazines from around the world.

Autosport is one of the magazines included (although that may change with the new ownership) so you can read the magazine electronically for much less than buying the paper version even if you didn't read anything else.