Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Mar 2018, 12:09 (Ref:3811912)   #31
fieldodreams79
Veteran
 
fieldodreams79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
United States
The Dirty South
Posts: 8,952
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
This is the one we have all been waiting for, the Danica Patrick GoDaddy liveried car.

How original!

Good for her going out on her terms in the "car" where she made her name.
fieldodreams79 is online now  
__________________
"Knowing that it's in you and you never let it out
Is worse than blowing any engine or any wreck you'll ever have."
-Mike Cooley
Quote
Old 30 Mar 2018, 16:08 (Ref:3811960)   #32
NaBUru38
Veteran
 
NaBUru38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Posts: 7,737
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/14...102nd-indy-500

o- There are 33 drivers confirmed, comprising 19 Hondas and 14 Chevys.
o- Hildebrand is expected to be announced at Dreyer & Reinbold.
o- Foyt, Harding and Lazier may add entries, such as James Davison, SebastiŠn Saavedra, Juan Piedrahita and Buddy Lazier.
NaBUru38 is online now  
__________________
"Show me a driver who didnít make a handful of errors this year, and Iíll show you someone who wasnít trying hard enough." - David Malsher
Quote
Old 1 Apr 2018, 13:55 (Ref:3812305)   #33
Formulahistory
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,109
Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really doubt Lazier will do a serious attempt. Unfortunately.
Formulahistory is offline  
Quote
Old 1 Apr 2018, 21:02 (Ref:3812377)   #34
keithcollantine
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 9
keithcollantine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm kind of torn about this. Of course it's great there's such a healthy entry list and it will make qualifying more exciting. On the other hand I'd rather have more full-season entries than so many Indy 500 one-offs.
keithcollantine is offline  
Quote
Old 2 Apr 2018, 15:33 (Ref:3812500)   #35
NaBUru38
Veteran
 
NaBUru38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Posts: 7,737
NaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridNaBUru38 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In 2017, most races had 21 entries.

St Pete just had 24 entries, and Phoenix will have 23.

IndyCar isn't yet at 2012 levels, but it's not terrible either.
NaBUru38 is online now  
__________________
"Show me a driver who didnít make a handful of errors this year, and Iíll show you someone who wasnít trying hard enough." - David Malsher
Quote
Old 2 Apr 2018, 15:46 (Ref:3812505)   #36
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran
 
bjohnsonsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
United States
London, England
Posts: 16,555
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
In 2017, most races had 21 entries.

St Pete just had 24 entries, and Phoenix will have 23.

IndyCar isn't yet at 2012 levels, but it's not terrible either.
F1 only has 20.
bjohnsonsmith is online now  
__________________
"If you're not winning you're not trying."
Colin Chapman.
Quote
Old 2 Apr 2018, 18:28 (Ref:3812528)   #37
fieldodreams79
Veteran
 
fieldodreams79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
United States
The Dirty South
Posts: 8,952
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithcollantine View Post
I'm kind of torn about this. Of course it's great there's such a healthy entry list and it will make qualifying more exciting. On the other hand I'd rather have more full-season entries than so many Indy 500 one-offs.
First of all! Welcome!

I kind of like any and all possibilities of elimination, including any full season entrants. If they're not up to speed, then that's their problem.

What will be interesting is some of the bigger teams with full season entrants and one-offs under the same roof... they should be fine, but could be some drama!
fieldodreams79 is online now  
__________________
"Knowing that it's in you and you never let it out
Is worse than blowing any engine or any wreck you'll ever have."
-Mike Cooley
Quote
Old 3 Apr 2018, 23:27 (Ref:3812699)   #38
keithcollantine
Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 9
keithcollantine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
First of all! Welcome!
Thank you!

One name I was hoping to see on the entry list this year we Montoya but it looks like that's not happening now. Pity.
keithcollantine is offline  
Quote
Old 4 Apr 2018, 12:17 (Ref:3812791)   #39
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran
 
bjohnsonsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
United States
London, England
Posts: 16,555
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithcollantine View Post
Thank you!

One name I was hoping to see on the entry list this year we Montoya but it looks like that's not happening now. Pity.
Hi and welcome.

Montoya has ruled out participating in this year's 500.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/135148
bjohnsonsmith is online now  
__________________
"If you're not winning you're not trying."
Colin Chapman.
Quote
Old 4 Apr 2018, 19:56 (Ref:3812876)   #40
Chiana
Veteran
 
Chiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,705
Chiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
F1 only has 20.
It's pointless to compare artificially restricted grid to one where you can field whatever you wish wherever you want. Same exact thing as when Mario Andretti complained about the amount of F1 overtaking versus Indycar, as if you could compare overtaking capabilities of non-spec cars to fully spec cars, it's never ever going to be achieved whatever you try.

If F1 opened the doors and said "anyone can attempt to race" like in the pre-qualifying era, AND also kill off the mandated 2 car per team rule, you would not have 20 cars each race.

IndyCar on the other hand HAS "free for all" policy, yet have had trouble attracting 33 relatively cheap spec cars for what they describe as the biggest race in the world.
Chiana is offline  
Quote
Old 5 Apr 2018, 02:07 (Ref:3812921)   #41
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran
 
bjohnsonsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
United States
London, England
Posts: 16,555
bjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebjohnsonsmith will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
It's pointless to compare artificially restricted grid to one where you can field whatever you wish wherever you want. Same exact thing as when Mario Andretti complained about the amount of F1 overtaking versus Indycar, as if you could compare overtaking capabilities of non-spec cars to fully spec cars, it's never ever going to be achieved whatever you try.

If F1 opened the doors and said "anyone can attempt to race" like in the pre-qualifying era, AND also kill off the mandated 2 car per team rule, you would not have 20 cars each race.

IndyCar on the other hand HAS "free for all" policy, yet have had trouble attracting 33 relatively cheap spec cars for what they describe as the biggest race in the world.
The current agreement between F1 and the FIA allows for up to to 12 teams and 24 cars. However, it's set to remain at 10. Back in 2014 F1 had a 22 car field, so my comment was more of an observation than a comparison.

Mario Andretti's complaint was about F1's direction and heavy reliance on aero and how it is adversely affecting racing, particularly overtaking; something F1 fans and there are plenty here at Ten Tenths, are constantly complaining about. IndyCar may be a spec series at the moment but tried out Chevy's and Honda's aero-kits and found they were going to face the same issues F1 is, if they continued with heavy downforce aero-kits and decided to go for a ground effect car instead. The rules are so rigid regarding F1 car design, they might as well be spec cars. The big difference is, F1 happens to have three of the world's biggest road car manufacturers involved, who have vastly bigger budgets than any IndyCar could dream of and yet the racing is poor in comparison.

Indeed, IndyCar has had trouble attracting a 33 car field for "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing". It was only 10 years ago the series unified with Champ Car, after the near disastrous split back in '96 and it has taken a very long time to rebuild. Plus there isn't all that Philip Morris tobacco money sloshing around anymore and the majority of the big multinational sponsors, decided to go to NASCAR. Anyway, they have a 33+ field this year so fair play too them.
bjohnsonsmith is online now  
__________________
"If you're not winning you're not trying."
Colin Chapman.
Quote
Old 5 Apr 2018, 11:11 (Ref:3812965)   #42
Chiana
Veteran
 
Chiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,705
Chiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The current agreement between F1 and the FIA allows for up to to 12 teams and 24 cars. However, it's set to remain at 10. Back in 2014 F1 had a 22 car field, so my comment was more of an observation than a comparison.

Mario Andretti's complaint was about F1's direction and heavy reliance on aero and how it is adversely affecting racing, particularly overtaking; something F1 fans and there are plenty here at Ten Tenths, are constantly complaining about. IndyCar may be a spec series at the moment but tried out Chevy's and Honda's aero-kits and found they were going to face the same issues F1 is, if they continued with heavy downforce aero-kits and decided to go for a ground effect car instead. The rules are so rigid regarding F1 car design, they might as well be spec cars. The big difference is, F1 happens to have three of the world's biggest road car manufacturers involved, who have vastly bigger budgets than any IndyCar could dream of and yet the racing is poor in comparison.

Indeed, IndyCar has had trouble attracting a 33 car field for "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing". It was only 10 years ago the series unified with Champ Car, after the near disastrous split back in '96 and it has taken a very long time to rebuild. Plus there isn't all that Philip Morris tobacco money sloshing around anymore and the majority of the big multinational sponsors, decided to go to NASCAR. Anyway, they have a 33+ field this year so fair play too them.
It theoretically agrees more cars than the current 20, but a new team can't just walk in, they have to go through long and tedious entry submit process and ratification that not only takes forever but which the FIA can outright deny if they wish. Also added in to what I already said that unless you have a situation where chassis is flat out destroyed or something in force majeure situation, you have to enter each race with mandated strict 2 cars, and you can't cherry pick events or start the season from wherever (like the (admittedly joke of a project) USF1 requested and was rejected)). I wish it wasn't like that, and there was flexibility like in the prequalifying era, but what can you do

For the second paragraph, I refer to what Nick Daman said on the subject on Midweek Motorsport episode 12.

I think having trouble attracting 33 cars would have been less of an embarrasment if there really was more of an open formula and acquiring cars wasn't easy peacy as it is with Dallara's endless supply. However as you said, kudos to them for having some bumping this year at least...
Chiana is offline  
Quote
Old 5 Apr 2018, 12:37 (Ref:3812971)   #43
fieldodreams79
Veteran
 
fieldodreams79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
United States
The Dirty South
Posts: 8,952
fieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famefieldodreams79 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Regardless of car counts, who builds the cars and who enters them, the last few years of this race have been absolutely spectacular and awe inspiring to watch. If you don't like the on track product because of some aspects of the off track leading up to the event, then don't watch.
fieldodreams79 is online now  
__________________
"Knowing that it's in you and you never let it out
Is worse than blowing any engine or any wreck you'll ever have."
-Mike Cooley
Quote
Old 5 Apr 2018, 13:14 (Ref:3812976)   #44
Chiana
Veteran
 
Chiana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,705
Chiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameChiana will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a good event and I watch it every year, but that doesn't automatically mean I should blindly love and/or accept as face value every aspect of it. Just I don't like every aspect of Le Mans either (LMGTE, track sanitation, cowarding out of wet weather, spec rules etc) even though it's my favorite race in the world bar none and missing it would be a catastrophe. The "don't like it, don't watch it" argument is old and tired, as if watching & accepting and not watching & not accepting are the only two options imaginable
Chiana is offline  
Quote
Old 5 Apr 2018, 15:50 (Ref:3813001)   #45
broadrun96
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
United States
Posts: 4,038
broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!broadrun96 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
It's a good event and I watch it every year, but that doesn't automatically mean I should blindly love and/or accept as face value every aspect of it. Just I don't like every aspect of Le Mans either (LMGTE, track sanitation, cowarding out of wet weather, spec rules etc) even though it's my favorite race in the world bar none and missing it would be a catastrophe. The "don't like it, don't watch it" argument is old and tired, as if watching & accepting and not watching & not accepting are the only two options imaginable
Nope, but at the risk of getting banned or points, your pedantic useless and often ill informed opinions are even worse and getting insanely old. And a reason why, almost single handedly, I rarely read the sportscar thread any longer. Sorry, but YOUR only personal options are too watch or not watch. Your opinions are immaterial to the owners and teams of Indy outside of turning the TV off. By watching the racing are implicitly accepting everything about Indy including the rules, cars, teams and tracks. Hate to be the one to tell you, but your forum opinion has all the value of cow dung to them.

And as far as quoting a VERY misinformed Mr. Damon above, sorry there as multiple teams who would tell you that Indy is not a buy a car and enter the series deal. There are limits on the engines and without an engine that's the point?
broadrun96 is offline  
__________________
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[LM24] Le Mans 2018 Entry List Speculation Mike E 24 Heures du Mans 489 19 Jun 2018 08:45
2007 Indy 500 Entry List Tim Northcutt IRL Indycar Series 81 23 May 2007 14:04
Official Indy 500 entry list. Down F0rce IRL Indycar Series 92 13 Apr 2005 22:43
Gold Coast Indy head count, get together? Crash Test Trackside 13 24 Oct 2000 09:10
Indy 500 entry list Crash Test IRL Indycar Series 6 27 Apr 2000 03:19


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 15:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2018 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.