Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 20 Mar 2014, 22:47 (Ref:3382485)   #3326
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Just a small correction. Appendix D actually provides that the second (redundant) fuel flow meter is placed in series with the first fuel flow meter along the fuel feeding line, upstream of the high pressure fuel pump which feeds fuel to the injectors. A third fuel flow meter is required only in case a fuel return line is provided in order to measure and take into account the return flow.

In other words - and this appears to be one significant difference with respect to the F1 rules - two fuel flow meters placed in series are used to measure fuel flow feeding the high pressure fuel pump. This redundancy should allow a more robust/reliable fuel flow measurement.
Old 20 Mar 2014, 23:11 (Ref:3382494)   #3327
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
BTW, this is Audi's interpretation of the relevant ventilated compartment housing the fuel flow sensors:

(also posted in the Audi R18 thread)
Old 21 Mar 2014, 05:21 (Ref:3382533)   #3328
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Just a small correction. Appendix D actually provides that the second (redundant) fuel flow meter is placed in series with the first fuel flow meter along the fuel feeding line, upstream of the high pressure fuel pump which feeds fuel to the injectors. A third fuel flow meter is required only in case a fuel return line is provided in order to measure and take into account the return flow.

In other words - and this appears to be one significant difference with respect to the F1 rules - two fuel flow meters placed in series are used to measure fuel flow feeding the high pressure fuel pump. This redundancy should allow a more robust/reliable fuel flow measurement.
I don't mean to be factitious (and please don't read this in that way),but two wrongs do not make a right.
Old 21 Mar 2014, 05:54 (Ref:3382534)   #3329
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Actually, and according to what was reported on Midweek Motorsport, other teams also had ïssues. The difference was that they turned down their engines when they were warned by the FiA. Red Bull did not. In all these cases, the team's measurements differed to those shown on the meters.
Thats what Im saying. No team had a problem running to the fia's request to stay within the margin of error. Red Bull must have missed that memo.
Old 21 Mar 2014, 06:25 (Ref:3382537)   #3330
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
I don't mean to be factitious (and please don't read this in that way),but two wrongs do not make a right.
Fore sure This being said, one should assume that the sensors are normally properly calibrated and supposed to give an adequate reading of the fuel flow. If one of the two sensors happens to be defective, the other could still be exploited for the purpose of measuring the fuel flow. The defective fuel flow sensor could then be exchanged at the occasion of a pit stop. That's the theory
Old 21 Mar 2014, 07:27 (Ref:3382549)   #3331
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I read somewhere that someone linked to the company that fabricates these meters says that Red Bull will win their appeal because the accuracy of the meters is not that good.
I don't agree with him that Red Bull will win the appeal as the FiA will not allow themselves to be embarrassed, but it does raise some questions over the reliability of the meters.

also - If this is going to be a success, then they need to make sure that the system is accurate, and that the teams trust and are happy with it.

Last edited by Spyderman; 21 Mar 2014 at 07:33.
Old 21 Mar 2014, 08:12 (Ref:3382556)   #3332
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I read somewhere that someone linked to the company that fabricates these meters says that Red Bull will win their appeal because the accuracy of the meters is not that good.
I don't agree with him that Red Bull will win the appeal as the FiA will not allow themselves to be embarrassed, but it does raise some questions over the reliability of the meters.

also - If this is going to be a success, then they need to make sure that the system is accurate, and that the teams trust and are happy with it.
If the evidence RBR has effectively proves that they did not cheat (were within the 100kg per hour flow restriction and they do not reinstate Ricciardo they will have a huge problem on their hands...
Effectively they are then manipulating the championship....
Old 21 Mar 2014, 08:14 (Ref:3382557)   #3333
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
So is anyone surprised at that statement
Old 21 Mar 2014, 08:54 (Ref:3382567)   #3334
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
If the evidence RBR has effectively proves that they did not cheat (were within the 100kg per hour flow restriction and they do not reinstate Ricciardo they will have a huge problem on their hands...
I agree, but what I have been hearing from many of those defending the FiA, is that "rules are rules". Apparently (I have not read them) they say that the FiA measurements are the correct ones (even if they aren't) and that the teams must comply. That in essence, is why RB were disqualified. They did not comply.
Old 21 Mar 2014, 11:25 (Ref:3382600)   #3335
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I agree, but what I have been hearing from many of those defending the FiA, is that "rules are rules". Apparently (I have not read them) they say that the FiA measurements are the correct ones (even if they aren't) and that the teams must comply. That in essence, is why RB were disqualified. They did not comply.
In case of a bad sensor it is the fia who determines if they should move to a mathematical model, RBR ignored their sensor and used a mathematical model without permission from the fia.
Old 21 Mar 2014, 11:54 (Ref:3382606)   #3336
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Right....So they disobeyed and violated the rules; However, that still does not mean that they did in fact consume more than the rules allowed.
I really don't give a hoot what happens to RB. I just don't want to see this happening in Sportscar racing.
Old 21 Mar 2014, 12:09 (Ref:3382610)   #3337
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The FIA issue is just politics at this point---they have no interest in the truth, just the power and the press.

This raises the question though: if the fuel sensors are the basis for balancing every single P1 (and F1) car and the fuel sensors aren't reliable, what then is the basis for basically all the engine-related rules in both series?

How an either series fairly run a race when the most basic measuring device which determines winning and losing (because getting across the line first is not the point any more--doing it most efficiently is) cannot be trusted?

And even if wo are used in series, if both are wrong, then what? Only if every sensor is wrong by the same exact amount would the whole system work; otherwise, who wins is based on who gets the better malfunctioning fuel flow sensor that weekend.

WEC had best be paying attention and checking their batch of fuel sensors, otherwise every single race will end with a flurry of protests, and I am not sure WEC can afford to lose all legitimacy. F1 might recover, but WEC is pretty much purely factory supported, so once the factories are too upset to stay ...
Old 21 Mar 2014, 12:35 (Ref:3382621)   #3338
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
I disagree. They knew full well that the FIA would be going by their own equipment.

I heard a great analogy on MWM. If the Police stopped you for speeding, you wouldn't say "it's okay, according to the speedometer I made myself, I was within the limit".

Smacks of arrogance on Red Bull's part.
Old 21 Mar 2014, 13:01 (Ref:3382632)   #3339
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Actually, If you went to court and could prove that your speedometer was correct, and the police device was incorrect.....
Old 21 Mar 2014, 13:39 (Ref:3382645)   #3340
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So... to some degree, I was hoping that in the sports car thread we would not end up being hyper focused on the Australian F1 GP Red Bull DSQ. Mostly because I didn't want to rehash a multipage argument in the Australian GP thread, in the F1 forum, with some (but not all) of the same players in this thread. And secondly because this is the sports car forum.

But if we are going to go there, here are a few points to raise that haven't shown up here yet...

(1) While the lack of accuracy of the sensors is the root of the RBR DSQ, a few think that another major factor in the DSQ is that RBR repeatedly ignored directives from the race stewards over the weekend and that all of the other teams did follow those directives. Earlier in the weekend the stewards asked (per the rules) for RBR and a number of other teams to put in place an offset in their fuel mapping. The other teams complied, but RBR refused to do so. During the race the stewards again asked RBR to make adjustments. RBR refused to do so.

(2) While RBR potentially may not have exceeded the flow levels, many other teams did turn theirs down as asked below what they also thought was appropriate levels. In effect RBR was likely running at a higher flow level than everyone else? So why should RBR get a flow advantage over the other teams?

Ultimately the FIA may be an evil organization run by the devil himself and is bent on world domination. And there may very well be issues with the sensors. And the way the rules are written might be really awful (however it's not as if they were also not a known quantity for months now).

But, I do think the stewards were just doing the best given the situation (A Rulebook to follow and a team who decided to throw down the gauntlet in a major way) You may disagree with the rulebook, or even the stewards decisions during the race, but I think it is hard to make arguments for ignoring either during a race. What's next? Ignoring black flags? By definition, it had to end in tears.

IMHO, Even if RBR can definitively prove they never exceed the fuel allocation limits, I think they deserve some type of penalty for repeatedly ignoring the stewards direction. And I think DSQ is probably pretty accurate. But just like everyone else, I have an opinion and that is mine.

With that being said... I do think there are issues with the entire concept of measuring instantaneous flow to the level of accuracy that it doesn't accidently impact race results. And more specifically how the F1 rules are written (one sensor, etc.). At least for this thread, I am more interested in how this will play out for LMP1 racing? Is the multiple sensor thing going to work? How are the teams dealing with this? Are they averaging between the too sensors, or using one and then getting directions from the race stewards to switch to the installed backup during an event?

Richard
Old 21 Mar 2014, 13:47 (Ref:3382650)   #3341
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I heard a great analogy on MWM. If the Police stopped you for speeding, you wouldn't say "it's okay, according to the speedometer I made myself, I was within the limit".
I am sorry, I am going to continue to derail this thread, but I just had to comment. I like the analogy, but I don't think it is completely accurate.

It is more like the police are chasing you down the highway shouting on the bullhorn to pull over because you are speeding. You look down at your speedo and think you are just fine, so you ignore the police, continue to drive home as the police continue to chase and shout for you to slow down. Then when you pull into your driveway, you act surprised when they wrestle you to the ground and arrest you for speeding and evading.

Richard
Old 21 Mar 2014, 14:26 (Ref:3382660)   #3342
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Actually, If you went to court and could prove that your speedometer was correct, and the police device was incorrect.....
Erm. Not sure how to respond to this other than - good point, well made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I am sorry, I am going to continue to derail this thread, but I just had to comment. I like the analogy, but I don't think it is completely accurate.

It is more like the police are chasing you down the highway shouting on the bullhorn to pull over because you are speeding. You look down at your speedo and think you are just fine, so you ignore the police, continue to drive home as the police continue to chase and shout for you to slow down. Then when you pull into your driveway, you act surprised when they wrestle you to the ground and arrest you for speeding and evading.

Richard
That's more like it! Spyderman, this analogy is my final answer
Old 21 Mar 2014, 14:57 (Ref:3382674)   #3343
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
I love it!
Old 21 Mar 2014, 15:19 (Ref:3382679)   #3344
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
So... to some degree, I was hoping that in the sports car thread we would not end up being hyper focused on the Australian F1 GP Red Bull DSQ. Mostly because I didn't want to rehash a multipage argument in the Australian GP thread, in the F1 forum, with some (but not all) of the same players in this thread. And secondly because this is the sports car forum.

But if we are going to go there, here are a few points to raise that haven't shown up here yet...

(1) While the lack of accuracy of the sensors is the root of the RBR DSQ, a few think that another major factor in the DSQ is that RBR repeatedly ignored directives from the race stewards over the weekend and that all of the other teams did follow those directives. Earlier in the weekend the stewards asked (per the rules) for RBR and a number of other teams to put in place an offset in their fuel mapping. The other teams complied, but RBR refused to do so. During the race the stewards again asked RBR to make adjustments. RBR refused to do so.

(2) While RBR potentially may not have exceeded the flow levels, many other teams did turn theirs down as asked below what they also thought was appropriate levels. In effect RBR was likely running at a higher flow level than everyone else? So why should RBR get a flow advantage over the other teams?

Ultimately the FIA may be an evil organization run by the devil himself and is bent on world domination. And there may very well be issues with the sensors. And the way the rules are written might be really awful (however it's not as if they were also not a known quantity for months now).

But, I do think the stewards were just doing the best given the situation (A Rulebook to follow and a team who decided to throw down the gauntlet in a major way) You may disagree with the rulebook, or even the stewards decisions during the race, but I think it is hard to make arguments for ignoring either during a race. What's next? Ignoring black flags? By definition, it had to end in tears.

IMHO, Even if RBR can definitively prove they never exceed the fuel allocation limits, I think they deserve some type of penalty for repeatedly ignoring the stewards direction. And I think DSQ is probably pretty accurate. But just like everyone else, I have an opinion and that is mine.
I have to agree fully with you.
Old 21 Mar 2014, 15:33 (Ref:3382683)   #3345
nkoske
Racer

United States
Bay Area, CA
nkoske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Richard Castro is spot on. I'll add.

I deal with calibrated instruments all the time. Was the RBR sensor calibrated to a national standard, capable of measuring flow at least as accurately as the FIA sensor, and at the same rate? On top of that is the RBR sensor/data/signal conditioner subject to tampering (just because you show me a piece of paper with the right number means absolutely nothing)?

RBR may have data from their sensor that shows compliance, but then they have to prove it was calibrated properly and there was no way to tamper with the data, sensor, and signal conditioner. Actually becomes tricky to prove that.
Old 21 Mar 2014, 15:43 (Ref:3382688)   #3346
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
....Not forgetting of course , that the FiA's sensor had malfunctioned prior to the race too.
Again - the point I am trying to make is that it is vitally important that the system in place works and inspires confidence...to the teams, spectators and officials. It is not sufficient to just say, "rules are rules". One might find that some important players might eventually get sick of "just following orders" and walk away.
Old 21 Mar 2014, 16:10 (Ref:3382695)   #3347
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Right on cue...: http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...el-flow-meter/

I really should play the lottery.
Old 21 Mar 2014, 16:20 (Ref:3382698)   #3348
belt driven
Racer

United States
NE exurban ATL
belt driven has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I can't recall the last time an F1 car ran out of fuel before the checker; but a few times in recent years they lacked enough fuel for the postrace check, or shut the car off on the cooldown lap to save enough.

I think this proves the teams are pretty accurate in their own fuel calculations. Nobody seems to have confidence in the accuracy of FIA's sensors.

The whole concept of limiting max flow rates is stupid. You don't tell an aircraft builder his range/endurance record is invalid because it burned fuel too fast climbing to altitude. You let them figure out the most efficient use of it. Indy has limited total fuel usage for decades. In the turbo years teams could never run the boost limit and make the distance.
Old 21 Mar 2014, 17:54 (Ref:3382720)   #3349
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Right on cue...: http://www.racecar-engineering.com/n...el-flow-meter/

I really should play the lottery.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 03:27 (Ref:3382880)   #3350
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone remind me of how Group C measures their fuel consumption? As it was a time-proven success.....