Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 4 May 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2455290)   #1
Paul Mann
Rookie

England
Portsmouth
Paul Mann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where is the best place to buy long socks and belts?

Hi Peeps, where is the best place to buy the long socks to fold over boot tops and the utility belts for holding tools etc.
Thanks for your help
Old 4 May 2009, 17:05 (Ref:2455296)   #2
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I found mine in the local market, Northampton. Failing that, any ''outdoor activity'' shop should stock similar items.
Old 4 May 2009, 19:25 (Ref:2455391)   #3
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
I found mine in the local market, Northampton. Failing that, any ''outdoor activity'' shop should stock similar items.
I've been looking for 100% wool socks for longer than I care to remember (if the socks have artificial fibres like nylon they may melt in a fire). Anyone know if 100% wool socks are for sale anywhere?
Old 4 May 2009, 19:36 (Ref:2455396)   #4
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not 100% wool I don't think, but this isn't really to be sniffed at....

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?...ategory_id=248

but for Woolly socks, I would try www.cotswoldoutdoor.co.uk, I have got some Smartwool socks and they are very comfy.
Old 4 May 2009, 19:40 (Ref:2455402)   #5
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomex View Post
I've been looking for 100% wool socks for longer than I care to remember (if the socks have artificial fibres like nylon they may melt in a fire). Anyone know if 100% wool socks are for sale anywhere?

As I said,local markets usually have them. The pairs of socks I have got came from Northampton market. Ask for ''sea-boot socks'', they are 100% wool. If you have problems getting them, when I next have a Saturday free, I'll go over a buy a few pairs and then you can get them from me, at cost plus postage.
Old 4 May 2009, 20:20 (Ref:2455429)   #6
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I got some Army issue boot socks from a stall at a local country fair, 2 pairs for a fiver. No idea what they're made of but they keep my feet warm in the cold and don't get too hot or sweaty when it's hot. So could be worth trying an army surplus store (do they still exist?).
Old 4 May 2009, 20:26 (Ref:2455431)   #7
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i cant wear wool at all, so usually go for cotton socks. surely your boots would protect you anyway
Old 5 May 2009, 08:21 (Ref:2455650)   #8
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For belts it depends on your budget. Any Army & Navy store will have webbing belts that are more than suitable. Or you can try DIY like B&Q or Wicks for belts and you can also buy belt attachments. At the other end of the scale you could try Demon Tweeks for more motor-racy type stuff, e.g.
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...pcode=OMPID792
Old 5 May 2009, 10:45 (Ref:2455740)   #9
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would try ebay for the police belt, which seems quite popular.
Old 5 May 2009, 11:55 (Ref:2455780)   #10
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IIRC they are called "Viper" utility belts (very Batman)
Old 5 May 2009, 11:55 (Ref:2455782)   #11
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomex View Post
(if the socks have artificial fibres like nylon they may melt in a fire).
I wouldn't worry about that - if you're exposed to a fire fierce enough to melt your socks the mortuary people will be able to get them off.
Old 5 May 2009, 19:00 (Ref:2456031)   #12
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
I wouldn't worry about that - if you're exposed to a fire fierce enough to melt your socks the mortuary people will be able to get them off.
Point taken!! (and very wittily put if I may say so).
Old 5 May 2009, 21:33 (Ref:2456119)   #13
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Old 6 May 2009, 09:34 (Ref:2456324)   #14
Paul Mann
Rookie

England
Portsmouth
Paul Mann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many thanks to one and all - I have ordered the Viper belt and now know where to find my rather flammable socks!

Thankyou