Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 6 Sep 2018, 05:16 (Ref:3848439)   #1801
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Our local Tesco is still 124.9 for diesel. Plus I'm getting 17.5 mpg :-)
You try squeezing an artic onto a Tesco forecourt! Plus the pump will cut off after a certain amount. I noticed en route to Imola that some Leclerc fuel stations at their Supermarches have a dedicated truck pump at same price as car pumps, but the cost in time and extra mileage if your'e using the Autoroute cancels the savings out....
Old 6 Sep 2018, 06:35 (Ref:3848443)   #1802
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
To operate on autoroutes, Leclerc made a lot of promisses. Few weeks after their start, they had to comply with Total requirements…*Bear in mind, Leclerc has to buy its diesel and SP from someone. Total is a producer.
Mike, if under torture you have to drive through France, may be you can try this:
https://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr Then select the kind of carburant you need, diesel for your truck. Then in the pick list of départments, select the first two numbers of the zip code, 01 for Ain, 33 Gironde/ Bordeaux.
Old 6 Sep 2018, 06:41 (Ref:3848445)   #1803
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
This link seems serious because the website is held by government. May be the update frequency is slower than others but advertising free. In other words, il n'y a pas de publicité pour vous enquiquiner…………
Old 6 Sep 2018, 07:05 (Ref:3848447)   #1804
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
You try squeezing an artic onto a Tesco forecourt! Plus the pump will cut off after a certain amount. I noticed en route to Imola that some Leclerc ....
Yes I can only buy £99 at a time. It's difficult enough getting my breadvan in there, an artic would be mental!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 6 Sep 2018, 21:47 (Ref:3848561)   #1805
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
On route to Pembrey many many years ago we thought we would take the Delta truck through a Mc Donalds drive through . Was not very successful . We never made it to the order desk window. Still happy days
Old 7 Sep 2018, 10:10 (Ref:3848636)   #1806
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Caught a bit on Sky News this morning about migrants at Ouistreham, which for those not familiar, is where the Caen ferry actually leaves from. They were showing groups of migrants chasing trucks though the town and, if they managed to get the rear doors open, hop in. The Avon tyre truck guys had to run that guantlet Tuesday eve, which wasn’t a very nice experience. When I arrived earlier in the afternoon there were a couple of gendarme-mobiles on every roundabout, fortunately, and I kept the hammer down! Sounds like the cops don’t work evenings, or were on a break. All the traffic lights are now just advisory flashing orange, and no sensible trucker will stop for them..... Before check in, every truck is now opened up by security people, who use ladders to get inside and check every nook and cranny. Luckily it would be very difficult for individuals to get inside a moving race truck, and I always keep everything locked in N France!

What a sad state of affairs, and unpleasant for local residents. I see also that a migrant camp at Dunkirk is being ‘dismantled’, so wonder where all the occupants of that will disperse to.....
Old 7 Sep 2018, 13:33 (Ref:3848688)   #1807
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I saw that on the news, yesterday, and the first thing that entered my mind was ' Why on earth haven't the drivers properly secured their rear doors? All it needs is a sturdy padlock.'

If required, the lock can be removed once you are in the secure area of the port.

I would have thought that it would be necessary, anyway, just to secure the load against theft during any stop en-route.
Old 7 Sep 2018, 14:41 (Ref:3848702)   #1808
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I saw that on the news, yesterday, and the first thing that entered my mind was ' Why on earth haven't the drivers properly secured their rear doors? All it needs is a sturdy padlock.'

If required, the lock can be removed once you are in the secure area of the port.

I would have thought that it would be necessary, anyway, just to secure the load against theft during any stop en-route.
Agree totally- all rear doors- even on tautliners / curtainsiders are lockable!
Old 7 Sep 2018, 16:32 (Ref:3848724)   #1809
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Talking of race transporters, during the week before the Bathurst 1000 next month, there is a parade through the town- not of race cars, but team transporters! Now that would be cool to see. Here’s a link to the thread with pics of some.....

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthre...orters&page=32
Old 7 Sep 2018, 18:03 (Ref:3848743)   #1810
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Talking of race transporters, during the week before the Bathurst 1000 next month, there is a parade through the town- not of race cars, but team transporters! Now that would be cool to see. Here’s a link to the thread with pics of some.....

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthre...orters&page=32
Mike, we have a regular habit of such transporter displays, particularly at the far away events like Darwin when many just convoy across Aus, and have a mass co-ordinated car wash, clean and polish up and arrival of all teams. Here is the mass transporter arrival in Darwin at the recent June V8SC meeting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuZEskAUcBs
Old 7 Sep 2018, 18:11 (Ref:3848745)   #1811
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thanks! That’s just AWSUM, to quote another tenther.....

Gotta get some downlighters, and fit a proper bull horn!
Old 12 Sep 2018, 15:40 (Ref:3849651)   #1812
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Incredible display......can you just imagine that convoying into (say) Mallory, or Anglesey?
Old 12 Sep 2018, 16:32 (Ref:3849657)   #1813
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Incredible display......can you just imagine that convoying into (say) Mallory, or Anglesey?

Or even Silverstone!

No chance on a Tesco fuel forecourt ...
Old 12 Sep 2018, 19:12 (Ref:3849703)   #1814
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post

No chance on a Tesco fuel forecourt ...
That thought crossed my mind whilst I was posting the link....
Old 17 Sep 2018, 12:34 (Ref:3851025)   #1815
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I see also that a migrant camp at Dunkirk is being ‘dismantled’, so wonder where all the occupants of that will disperse to.....
More on that. On the way to Spa I passed the Shell truck stop at Wetteren, between Ghent and Bruxelles, which is very useful if you need to do the journey in two hits. It has a ‘secure’ truck park, although the definition is more to do with not being able to get out unless you’ve paid..... As I passed I could see a lot of blue flashing lights in the truck park, and on the way back yesterday it was all coned off and empty. Could be coincidence but I was warned by a German trucker last time I parked there about migrant activity in it. Shame if true because it was very convenient!

All the discussion about best route to Spa is irrelevant when an incident intervenes! It took me only 4hrs to get to Dunkirk from the circuit yesterday afternoon, which was about as fast as you can do it at 90kph. Another truck that had left earlier in the morning arrived only just before me- stuck on the E40 for 3hrs behind a big accident. Just luck or bad luck.....

After that we both then got stuck at Dartford for 1.5hrs because there was a big crash on the M25 between 29 and 30. All traffic held. Eventually when we got through the bores the M25 was closed (incl trapped traffic as far as the eye could see) so we had to turn left or right! Took me an extra hour to get home, and eventually got to bed at 0500 this morning. I think the other truck ran out of hours as I saw him pulling into a service area.... The joys of driving nowadays. Even on a Sunday night it can all go wrong.
Old 19 Sep 2018, 17:02 (Ref:3851447)   #1816
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:

After that we both then got stuck at Dartford for 1.5hrs because there was a big crash on the M25 between 29 and 30. All traffic held. Eventually when we got through the bores the M25 was closed (incl trapped traffic as far as the eye could see) so we had to turn left or right! Took me an extra hour to get home, and eventually got to bed at 0500 this morning. I think the other truck ran out of hours as I saw him pulling into a service area.... The joys of driving nowadays. Even on a Sunday night it can all go wrong.
Mike, this amongst other things is why I decided to call it a day as I just got fed up with not knowing how long a journey will take you.

Back in the late 60s and early 70s it would take me about 5 hours to get to say Cadwell park with an Anglia van towing a two wheeled trailer without all the Motorways that are now in existence. With more modern and faster towing gear and M25/M11 etc it was taking me the same or more depending how you hit the traffic.
I remember once leaving on a Friday morning to do a meeting at the weekend and at 2pm I hadn't even got through the Dartford crossing and I only live near Tonbridge !!!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Sep 2018, 11:52 (Ref:3851573)   #1817
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Gordon, it could eventually drive me away from the UK- more so than any ‘brexit’ outcome! How on earth those that have to travel on our major road network every day cope, I do not know.....

What to do- My 24v nut gun battery charger went up in smoke yesterday. Well, smelled very strong, anyway. The gun is several years old and uses NI-CD batteries. The latest equivalent uses NI-MH, so needs a different charger. Can’t find anywhere to buy an old spec one, and looking at cost of the latest version and batteries, it’s cheaper to buy a complete new gun with two batteries and charger, in a case.....

Think I’ve answered my own question.
Old 20 Sep 2018, 12:35 (Ref:3851582)   #1818
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Mike I've normally found that you can get most types of chargers from the States and have used this firm in the past.
https://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/24-volt/
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Sep 2018, 13:38 (Ref:3851594)   #1819
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Im telling you there aint nuffink Gordon dont no.Is Misses even knows how to spell quossant.
Old 20 Sep 2018, 16:12 (Ref:3851622)   #1820
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Im telling you there aint nuffink Gordon dont no.Is Misses even knows how to spell quossant.
She is even still putting up with me after 45+ years Click image for larger version

Name:	Sue & me 1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	508.8 KB
ID:	51964
Old 21 Sep 2018, 07:40 (Ref:3851731)   #1821
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
She is even still putting up with me after 45+ years Attachment 51964
Are you sure she's not about to strangle you?
Old 21 Sep 2018, 08:19 (Ref:3851740)   #1822
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Tour Auto Optic 2000, 30 April to 20th May 2019

Mike already explained its not worth a thread. But next year the focus is on now gone English car makes like Frazer-Nash, Jowett, Sunbeam-Talbot, Fairthorpe, etc… The committee could offer a 10% discount on the entry fee to 15 selected cars. The maximum limit is 240 cars in total, two classifications, Competition and Régularité.
More on www.tourauto.com, eligible cars list here
https://peterauto.peter.fr/wp-conten...gible_Cars.pdf

Mike, of course, feel free to delete and sorry if any inconvenience. And yes, I agree, the entry fee is not cheap!
Old 21 Sep 2018, 08:37 (Ref:3851742)   #1823
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I got an email from them, thanks! I could enter my Gilbern, although not on the list, but need to win the lotto first.....
Old 21 Sep 2018, 09:01 (Ref:3851745)   #1824
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Mike already explained its not worth a thread. But next year the focus is on now gone English car makes like Frazer-Nash, Jowett, Sunbeam-Talbot, Fairthorpe, etc… The committee could offer a 10% discount on the entry fee to 15 selected cars. The maximum limit is 240 cars in total, two classifications, Competition and Régularité.
More on www.tourauto.com, eligible cars list here
https://peterauto.peter.fr/wp-conten...gible_Cars.pdf

Mike, of course, feel free to delete and sorry if any inconvenience. And yes, I agree, the entry fee is not cheap!
Yes, I got that e mail too. Also the rules have changed as I understand it and only pre 65 cars can compete for the overall prizes.
Old 21 Sep 2018, 09:26 (Ref:3851752)   #1825
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Of course, Mike and Peter, you both right.
Peter, my understanding is the same, overall classifications, Compétition and Régularité, are for homologated cars before 12/31/1965. But, probably to please as many as they can, there are additional classifications for cars period G, H and I. Plus some others, depending on several factors… TBD!

The final destination is said not to be located south of France.
And to go with Mike, first financial step is around € 9 950 for the race car. You should consider you'll have to pay for external help, also called assistance.

Last year you could discuss with PA during Stoneleigh and London shows if my memory serves (Mike can confirm about London, I guess).