Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 13 May 2003, 12:24 (Ref:597806)   #1
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oulton's 50th

Does anyone know whether Oulton Park or any of the clubs are "Celebrating" the 50th anniversary of the circuit?
I remember a couple of years ago at Combe, all marshals got some goodies to commemorate their 50th! The BRSCC North-west is also 50 this year, so Perhaps they'll splash out and give us all a badge!
Old 13 May 2003, 13:17 (Ref:597878)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the August Bank Holiday Gold Cup historic meeting organised by HSCC and Octogan is being billed as the 50th b'day party
Old 13 May 2003, 14:44 (Ref:597953)   #3
Jenny
Racer

Jenny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be the event of the year in the UK - it has been on the drawing board for 14 months and even before the 2002 revived Gold Cup meeting. Last year's event (I raced my 69 F3 Tecno there for the first time) was really fantastic and worth going to, just to see the cars. The HSCC had it as their flagship meeting and it will be much bigger this August Bank Holiday. Be there!
Old 13 May 2003, 16:33 (Ref:598079)   #4
flying muppet
Veteran

England
Deepest Shropshire
flying muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The sight of early 70s F1 and F5000 cars around Oulton Park is just fantastic! (especially with the less severe chicane). Be there - I will!
Old 13 May 2003, 18:20 (Ref:598184)   #5
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
The Gold Cup was the first meeting to be ticked off on my volunteering form this year; if it's half as good as last year's, it will be the highlight of my season.

.....real racing cars. Take a look at:

http://www.marshalspost.com/gallery/30.html

What, me, obsessed with Italian cars?
Old 19 May 2003, 10:37 (Ref:603311)   #6
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I overheard on Saturday that the BRSCC NW are planning on giving marshals some sort of cloth badge - as it's their 50th too, and that the HSCC are commissioning something similar for the Gold Cup meeting in August - which is thew actual date of the 50th Anniversary.
Old 19 May 2003, 11:03 (Ref:603359)   #7
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
... Gold Cup meeting in August - which is the actual date of the 50th Anniversary.
Are you sure?

I seem to remember Cliff Hammond showing me a copy of a program from the first Oulton Park meeting - I'm sure the date was June or July
Old 19 May 2003, 11:08 (Ref:603365)   #8
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
I'm prepared to stand corrected (Especially by Cliff - wasn't he just middle-aged at that first meeting? )

I read somewhere that the anniversary was in August.....but you shouldn't believe everything you read I guess!

BTW - has your arm recovered from Saturday yet?
Old 19 May 2003, 11:28 (Ref:603389)   #9
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes - but I've got a right arm like Popeye and a left arm like Olive Oyle
Old 19 May 2003, 13:16 (Ref:603511)   #10
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by observer
I read somewhere that the anniversary was in August.....but you shouldn't believe everything you read I guess!
According to last year's Gold Cup programme, the first meeting was a 'members-only' meeting in August 1953. All will be revealed, I'm sure, in Derek Lawson's book, out soon.
Old 25 May 2003, 12:49 (Ref:609429)   #11
andrew_powell98
Racer

andrew_powell98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Brand
According to last year's Gold Cup programme, the first meeting was a 'members-only' meeting in August 1953. All will be revealed, I'm sure, in Derek Lawson's book, out soon.
I seem to remeber Derek saying that to me. Hopefully his book (available from All good marshals posts) will be ready this month, should be a good read.
Old 4 Jul 2003, 11:32 (Ref:651931)   #12
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Has anyone seen a timetable for this yet or does anyone know of any "Famous" names in attendance?
Old 4 Jul 2003, 15:16 (Ref:652415)   #13
andrew_powell98
Racer

andrew_powell98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that Jack Brabham will be here as he still has the matter of compleating a lap. I heard another name but can not remember who. I would of thought maybe JYS could pay a visit
Old 10 Jul 2003, 19:06 (Ref:658151)   #14
flying muppet
Veteran

England
Deepest Shropshire
The HSCC website lists the following championships, but no details of timetable:

Historic Road Sports, 70s Road Sports, Classic sports cars, Historic Racing Saloons, 70s Saloons, Historic Formula Ford, XK Jaguar Series, Classic Racing Cars, Classic Formula 3, Derek Bell Trophy, Historic Formula Junior, plus some 'other' races. I think the 'extra' races are:
Historic GP cars (pre 72?), Classic GP cars, FORCE F5000, drum-braked sports cars, BRDC Historic sports. (Pity no SuperSports like at BH last weekend).

That'll keep us enthused for a bit!
Old 11 Jul 2003, 12:45 (Ref:658751)   #15
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
What about the badge?
I want a badge!
Old 11 Jul 2003, 14:20 (Ref:658819)   #16
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know that they are putting on a race for 50's sports cars in addition to the BRDC round.
Old 11 Jul 2003, 15:17 (Ref:658879)   #17
flying muppet
Veteran

England
Deepest Shropshire
Quote:
Originally posted by observer
What about the badge?
I want a badge!
It looks like you've got quite enough already - there's no room left on your ovies!
Old 11 Jul 2003, 15:22 (Ref:658883)   #18
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Well, they're very big ovies aren't they?