Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 20 Jun 2016, 17:52 (Ref:3653899)   #451
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
My congratulations to all those on the team at RLM, another great performance from everyone
Old 20 Jun 2016, 18:31 (Ref:3653915)   #452
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
In the commentary booth do they really not hear sounds from the race feed, even via headphones?

What makes me think so is how Hindy had no clue what was happening with the #5 and even then suggested (!!!) Kaz that stopped on purpose thinking he had already done the last lap. So clearly he didn't hear the team radio bit.
Old 20 Jun 2016, 18:43 (Ref:3653923)   #453
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
In the commentary booth do they really not hear sounds from the race feed, even via headphones?

What makes me think so is how Hindy had no clue what was happening with the #5 and even then suggested (!!!) Kaz that stopped on purpose thinking he had already done the last lap. So clearly he didn't hear the team radio bit.
I don't remember them discussing any team radio or race director radio bits during the race. So my guess is they couldn't hear any of it, otherwise I'm sure they would have reacted immediately.
Old 20 Jun 2016, 19:28 (Ref:3653931)   #454
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
From the studio cam it looks like they've got the race feed's volume turned right down unless they know there's something coming in advance (e.g. Hindhaugh turning up the race feed for the #2 crossing the line).
Old 20 Jun 2016, 21:20 (Ref:3653955)   #455
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Utterly awkward watching this, I'm sorry but even when acknowledging their (intentional?) lack of team radio listening ability in the booth, this is downright embarrassing here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqL8ov6MaEk

And I cannot fathom that they didn't even consider suggesting car failure, but rather went immediately into that absurd intentional slowing down / not realizing it's not the last lap nonsense...
Old 20 Jun 2016, 21:58 (Ref:3653965)   #456
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Utterly awkward watching this, I'm sorry but even when acknowledging their (intentional?) lack of team radio listening ability in the booth, this is downright embarrassing here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqL8ov6MaEk

And I cannot fathom that they didn't even consider suggesting car failure, but rather went immediately into that absurd intentional slowing down / not realizing it's not the last lap nonsense...
Hindy also talked about what a disaster the race was for Porsche...
Old 20 Jun 2016, 22:57 (Ref:3653990)   #457
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Was that the "hollow victory" theory as it was the number 2 car bit?
Old 20 Jun 2016, 22:59 (Ref:3653991)   #458
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Do they not even see the ACO TV graphics in the monitors they are following? Ie "team radio" etc. Or do they just ignore them...

I can't believe they would be intentionally doing this (not listening to the radio feeds on purpose), so much info left out.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 00:09 (Ref:3654003)   #459
HR186S
Rookie

Australia
Australia
HR186S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My guess is they could not hear the team radio feed.
All of the messages coming through the tv feed were ignored. I had Eurosport natural sounds synced up to RLM commentary and every radio message was talked over.
This is understandable though, the tv team radio feed wasn't being played on the radio. The commentators can't pause for long radio messages and leave dead space in their radio broadcast.
If they could include the team radio in future broadcasts, that would be fantastic.

On another note, all of the features and podcasts were fantastic in the lead up to Le Mans, awesome stuff. Much better than Eurosport's 24 mins which was awkward as usual.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 00:31 (Ref:3654012)   #460
Deleted
Veteran

They could just have one person listening to the radio feed while another talks over.

Anyway I don't know the details. I'm sure Graham or someone will check in to this thread sooner or later to explain it.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 06:31 (Ref:3654078)   #461
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm sorry to say, but I too was not impressed with many of the comments made and not only to do directly with the race.
I would like to think that the commentators are able of doing a really good job of hiding their biases. This year, this was most definitely not the case.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 08:32 (Ref:3654100)   #462
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
They could just have one person listening to the radio feed while another talks over.

Anyway I don't know the details. I'm sure Graham or someone will check in to this thread sooner or later to explain it.
Eve just confirmed on the Facebook group that they weren't able to get the team radio feed in the booth. At all. All week long. That definitely explains the lack of reaction until the Toyota stopped dead.

Last edited by Victor_RO; 21 Jun 2016 at 08:42.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 10:34 (Ref:3654118)   #463
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
To confirm - we did NOT have the team radio feed in the RLM booth at Le Mans - My call ref the slowing down lap formation theory was informed solely by the otherwise pointless final Porsche pit call, and by the fact that it put the #6 car into the same sector as the #5

We can see the TV graphic that says 'Team Radio' but cannot hear what is being said.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 10:35 (Ref:3654119)   #464
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Would add too that the Press room doesn't hear those team radio calls either - most of the journos that do have any commentary there are listening to RLM
Old 21 Jun 2016, 11:57 (Ref:3654138)   #465
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
From a trackside perspective I had no problem whatsoever with coverage at the end, and I valued the speculation about a photo opportunity finish or the brief 'got the end of the race wrong' idea above a totally transparent 'he's got an engine problem' which might have happened had they access to the car/pits radio. It gave us half a lap of wondering rather than resignation, and if the purpose of watching motorsport is to instil a sense of wonder isn't that a good thing?

For me I'd take exciting (if speculating and wrong) over embarrassing every time as a way of describing the final minutes this year.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 13:49 (Ref:3654165)   #466
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Our viewing party for the Greenville collective did the muted WEC app and RLM played over thing. I'm going through the WEC app replays now, and I'm glad we had RLM commentary playing. Massively different feel, less sterile.

Graham - how difficult would be it logistically for RLM to have access to the radio feed that gets passed along to the major outlets? I imagine there's at least a few people responsible for listening to all radio chatter from all teams throughout the race - or at least some predetermined teams like onboard cameras. Is the work of those production people listening the property of the major outlets or could it in theory be passed to you guys?

I don't think those radio messages are completely live. There's usually a few second delay between the graphic and the audio, and I imagine there's a time of trying to determine if the content will actually be beneficial to the broadcast. Teams talking to drivers doesn't just interrupt the commentary without warning.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 14:02 (Ref:3654170)   #467
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
The issue of RLM not being supplied with that feed is part of the post-race discussion between RLM and the ACO I understand.

As for delay - yes that is correct. Not least to ensure that bad language isn't broadcast.

John and I have the feed of course for our WEC TV comms for the 6 hour races and it can be hugely helpful - it certainly would have been in this instance.

I have read that perhaps we could have someone listening in and telling us what was being said - that's not a particularly good use of resource, and believe me there was nobody sitting idly during the race!

The RLM YouTube channel has the studiovision camera feed available if you'd like to see our reactions and my guess is that the Sept BBC Chris Hoy documentary might have some interesting clips too!
Old 21 Jun 2016, 14:03 (Ref:3654171)   #468
eps
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
eps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
To confirm - we did NOT have the team radio feed in the RLM booth at Le Mans - My call ref the slowing down lap formation theory was informed solely by the otherwise pointless final Porsche pit call, and by the fact that it put the #6 car into the same sector as the #5

We can see the TV graphic that says 'Team Radio' but cannot hear what is being said.
Hi Graham is the reason there isn't Team Radio Feed contractual or technical? I was thinking the same thing - that it woudl be worthwhile getting the Feed to integrate with the Radio Commentary provided or even selectively - maybe on a delay feed or something? I had half contemplated tuning in to 91.5 which I think is the circuit radio... as they must or someone must surely get the transmissions..

As always though I really enjoyed the radio commentary this year and the podcasts which we now listen to on the way down to Le Mans. Many thanks to the whole team!
Old 21 Jun 2016, 15:21 (Ref:3654196)   #469
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I liked that RLM played some music during the day rather than just repeating the informercials or road tests like other recent years (I may be mistaken, as is often the case) as it made us more likely to listen in the car whilst driving around town.

Interestingly, the RLM signal seems to reach a lot further south (ie. whilst on the drive to Chartre-sur-le-loir) than it does north (out towards St. Saturnin) - something to do with the direction the transmitter is aimed?
Old 21 Jun 2016, 15:35 (Ref:3654207)   #470
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
I don't think those radio messages are completely live. There's usually a few second delay between the graphic and the audio, and I imagine there's a time of trying to determine if the content will actually be beneficial to the broadcast. Teams talking to drivers doesn't just interrupt the commentary without warning.
I watched the WEC stream version of the last minutes yesterday just for curiosity and to relive the ending :| and they happened to mention that the delay is exactly 40 seconds.
Old 22 Jun 2016, 09:11 (Ref:3654377)   #471
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
From a trackside perspective I had no problem whatsoever with coverage at the end, and I valued the speculation about a photo opportunity finish or the brief 'got the end of the race wrong' idea above a totally transparent 'he's got an engine problem' which might have happened had they access to the car/pits radio. It gave us half a lap of wondering rather than resignation, and if the purpose of watching motorsport is to instil a sense of wonder isn't that a good thing?
I do kind of get what you're saying but no I think in this case I'd firmly like to know what's actually going on rather than speculation/confusion.

It's not RLM's fault at all given the circumstances and I had no issues with it trackside either because I was completely none the wiser. It's only when you get back and reflect on the situation that you realise they were technically constrained in how they reported on one of the biggest moments in Le Mans history. I'm sure it will either get fixed or they'll be a contingency next year.

Aside from that though I massively enjoyed RLM on the whole across the week. The earpiece is bolted into my ear the entire time so we live and breathe the race with them. My only issue was that (for the second year running) Hindy turns up for the final two hours in a confrontational mood and at the end of the 24 hours it just really grates. Not saying he shouldn't question things, but the tone just skews needlessly negative for me.
Old 22 Jun 2016, 09:41 (Ref:3654381)   #472
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't particularly like the broadcasting approach of "my job is to be controversial". I prefer interesting, intelligent and informative. If that happens to be controversial then fine, but controversy is not the goal.

I say this in the vain hope that someone realises that the media shouldn't be like this. Although that approach isn't as simple.

But, of course, on the whole the RLM coverage was great this year.

Posted using a XT-43-H
Old 22 Jun 2016, 10:34 (Ref:3654394)   #473
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Every year I struggle to understand how something which improved my enjoyment of my trip so much can be so heavily criticised.
Old 22 Jun 2016, 10:59 (Ref:3654398)   #474
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
valedave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Every year I struggle to understand how something which improved my enjoyment of my trip so much can be so heavily criticised.
+1

Not really sure where I'm going with this point, but here goes...
I'm not that old, but I do remember watching racing without live timing, team radio, all that stuff. And I think a lot of people take it for granted now. Comments, or even abuse, that they didn't hear the team radio... my god was it really that important? We all got there in the end. And if two commentators not hearing the message, and only realising it was a problem as the #5 ground to a halt, ruined your enjoyment of what was one of the most exciting moments in Le Mans history, then there's no helping you really.

RLM are there to help you follow the race, not hold your hand and guide you through it. There's a difference.

Reminds me of this cartoon:

"Are you enjoying the race darling? NO, the commentators got something WRONG".

For what it's worth, I was on the studio vision feed for the entire race. The on-screen clock is an absolute godsend! Makes up a tiny bit for not being able to go.
Old 22 Jun 2016, 14:45 (Ref:3654454)   #475
Deleted
Veteran

No, times have changed, globalized world has changed, expectations for accuracy and delivery of information have changed particularly due to overflow of sources now available. Plus of course they were the only party to make such error (no matter what the circumstances might have been). That's why they are taking the flame. Simple as that.

Of course there was lots of positives throughout, but just as with Toyota retiring at the end, I suspect many are gonna remember this over what else was achieved during the week in their case.