Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jul 2012, 15:19 (Ref:3103318)   #26
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Coulthard used the "prat perch" comment during the somewhat protracted qually....does he read this forum?
Old 7 Jul 2012, 15:29 (Ref:3103320)   #27
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Really ? I never knew ?

But my point remains, i'm sure the biggest names in F1 (and everyother catergory for that matter) would rather be known as something else.
I'm sure the biggest names in F1 don't give a toss about it....I would wager they even find it amusing...

They are confident enough in themselves not to let silly stuff like that bother them...so they can, you know, concentrate on designing, producing and running the best cars at the best teams...minor stuff I know, but someone's got to do it...
Old 9 Jul 2012, 21:18 (Ref:3104351)   #28
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Of some interest is the fact that many of the senior team members choose to start the race from inside the garages. Is this to talk to some of the engineers for the critical first few laps for some reason?
The pit wall (same as in all UK motorsport, at least) is cleared for the race start due to the risk of startline collisions and resulting debris.
Old 9 Jul 2012, 21:31 (Ref:3104356)   #29
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp View Post
The pit wall (same as in all UK motorsport, at least) is cleared for the race start due to the risk of startline collisions and resulting debris.
Nope not necessarily for the F1 meeting. the regulations allow for two per team to be on the pitwall, usually sat on there perches.
Old 9 Jul 2012, 21:48 (Ref:3104365)   #30
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The sport is full of unnecessary things like running 2 compounds, 3 phase qualifying, what's the big deal of just one more unneeded component like the pommy prat perch. It's all theater anyway.
Old 15 Jul 2017, 19:40 (Ref:3751517)   #31
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
For the first time on this forum,and probably the last,I'm bumping one of my old threads.In the August 2017 Race Tech magazine there is an article by Dominic Harlow that basically agrees with my original point.
Old 15 Jul 2017, 20:03 (Ref:3751519)   #32
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It only took 4 years to find someone that agrees.

Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Well, whoop dee doo then.
Old 15 Jul 2017, 20:13 (Ref:3751521)   #33
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Back to the point of the thread.

I can't think of a decent reason for anyone to look at the screens there rather than in the pits.

The only thing I can think of is that it means they are easy to see for the telly. It makes good telly!
Old 15 Jul 2017, 20:33 (Ref:3751523)   #34
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A legitimate reason these days could be garage space, with the exception of Mercedes who seem to find space for Wolff and Lauda to sit at screens together, all of the other garages appear to have mechanics/technicians at all the available screens, and not much room to set up for 4 or 5 more people.
(Perhaps Mercedes have someone who would in other teams be garaged based, sitting on the pitwall in Toto's seat.)

I suppose they could do away with the VIP booths at the back, but then what would you do to give your sponsors that tangible close enough to touch it exclusive experience.
Old 15 Jul 2017, 20:39 (Ref:3751525)   #35
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
A legitimate reason these days could be garage space, with the exception of Mercedes who seem to find space for Wolff and Lauda to sit at screens together, all of the other garages appear to have mechanics/technicians at all the available screens, and not much room to set up for 4 or 5 more people.
(Perhaps Mercedes have someone who would in other teams be garaged based, sitting on the pitwall in Toto's seat.)

I suppose they could do away with the VIP booths at the back, but then what would you do to give your sponsors that tangible close enough to touch it exclusive experience.
The VIP issue may have a part in it. Being on the pit wall seems to take away distractions.

And it could be one of those tradition things that nobody has really noticed is outdated and now unnecessary. Just a "always done it this way" thing.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 09:23 (Ref:3751598)   #36
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Aren't most of the decisions taken back at the factory via telemetry? The Prat Perch seems to be somewhere to go so the bosses can be seen on TV easily.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk