Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 25 Nov 2016, 21:56 (Ref:3691043)   #151
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
You can't predict the future. All or none of them could have problems. I know the Mazda had issues last year but for their sake hopefully they fixed them.
Old 26 Nov 2016, 00:09 (Ref:3691053)   #152
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
It will be interesting to see how many of the 11-14 P entries can run 24 hours trouble-free out of the box. If there is a lot of attrition we may be looking at a GTLM victor.
I would love to see that myself but in the year 2017. I just dont see it. I think the Cadillacs will win and I dont even know what they look like yet. If they use more or less the same engine as the Corvette DP, then they will be there.

The Corvette DP was one helluva machine. I'll miss that. The only DP I ever liked. I hope the Caddy wows us when it is revealed.
Old 26 Nov 2016, 02:39 (Ref:3691066)   #153
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I hope the Caddy wows us when it is revealed.
I know, no way but.....I can can dream, can't I?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadill...ar_LMP_900.jpg

jimclark
Old 26 Nov 2016, 04:40 (Ref:3691075)   #154
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If we're dreaming, let's use this one:

Old 26 Nov 2016, 05:58 (Ref:3691082)   #155
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Love that LMP02.

While I don't have my hopes up, I'd love to see the Cadillac DPi in the silver/black paint.
Old 26 Nov 2016, 18:05 (Ref:3691195)   #156
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
Love that LMP02.

While I don't have my hopes up, I'd love to see the Cadillac DPi in the silver/black paint.
I think you could see one in that scheme, think WTR could make that livery work with Konica. Just as easily see the exact livery of last year over the Caddy but Wayne does love racing history and could see that as a great homage to the last Caddy he raced against.
Old 26 Nov 2016, 19:00 (Ref:3691203)   #157
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Add an ACO P2 to the confirmed list!

DragonSpeed Announces their plans to go for the overall in next year's Rolex 24 with Loic Duval, Ben Hanley, Henrik Hedman, and Nicolas Lapierre in an ORECA-07 Gibson!

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/1...-24-entry.html
Old 26 Nov 2016, 19:46 (Ref:3691214)   #158
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Sportscar365 Link on the announcement as well.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/dr...ex-24-program/
Old 26 Nov 2016, 20:17 (Ref:3691228)   #159
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
Add an ACO P2 to the confirmed list!

DragonSpeed Announces their plans to go for the overall in next year's Rolex 24 with Loic Duval, Ben Hanley, Henrik Hedman, and Nicolas Lapierre in an ORECA-07 Gibson!

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/1...-24-entry.html
Cool! The P class is looking better and better. Nice to see Loic in the car.
Old 26 Nov 2016, 23:08 (Ref:3691266)   #160
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2017 Daytona Rolex 24 Potential Entries

Thats 12 announced entries already right?

(If we ignore the fact that Cadillac haven't technically announced)

Without news yet from Rebellion, SMP, Jagonya Ayam, maybe maybe maybe just maybe a temporary P2 from Penske

Pretty darn good
Old 27 Nov 2016, 01:21 (Ref:3691293)   #161
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Without news yet from Rebellion, SMP, Jagonya Ayam, maybe maybe maybe just maybe a temporary P2 from Penske
Based on....?

Anywho, if so, can I keep dreamin' and grandfather a coupla' these?:
Attached Thumbnails
0154090.jpg  

jimclark
Old 27 Nov 2016, 01:31 (Ref:3691295)   #162
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
No, you can't.
Old 27 Nov 2016, 01:53 (Ref:3691298)   #163
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Awww, c'mon mannnnnn. It's P2. And heck, it's like me....olllddd... And I don't recollect one ever goin' 24 hours....let 'em try.

edit: Oooopppsss. I'm a liar (well, not, I just didn't remember); they won P2 at Le Mans in '08 and '09.

Last edited by jimclark; 27 Nov 2016 at 02:07.

jimclark
Old 27 Nov 2016, 17:57 (Ref:3691487)   #164
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
they won P2 at Le Mans in '08 and '09.
Don't forget also they won Sebring, which while only 12 hours is on a rough old place.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 04:35 (Ref:3691629)   #165
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Don't forget also they won Sebring, which while only 12 hours is on a rough old place.
How can i fergit...I was there. I was erroneously referring to 24 hours, "And I don't recollect one ever goin' 24 hours", as we're talking aboot the Rolex here...

(p.s. - and Sebring is not as rough as it used to be)

jimclark
Old 28 Nov 2016, 17:05 (Ref:3691821)   #166
Matra-simca
Rookie

United States
Durham, NC
Matra-simca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatra-simca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All

Haven't posted much here lately, for a litany of reasons. But now I'm extremely excited by the potential of hearing at least half a dozen Gibson screamers based on the comments by a couple of recent trackside observers and the video clip of a Ligier JP217 testing at Estoril. It's been a a while since IMSAs had a full time screamer in the prototype ranks, the PLM Rebellion naturally aspirated Toyota notwithstanding.

Initially, when I read that Gibson (formally Zytek) was awarded the P2 engine contract, I was a bit disappointed as I thought the engine might be based on Nissan's existing P2 V-8 architecture, which sounded like a pair of 4 cylinder engines. Instead, Gibson has gone back to their roots, not unlike their old marvelous 3.4 liter, and produced a thoroughbred racing that's got a wonderful soundtrack and should bring many a smile as they make their way around the banking.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 18:45 (Ref:3691851)   #167
jimclark
Veteran

United States

I haven't heard the "Gibson" but I'll take your word for it. I will prefer, however, to your "making their way around the banking", their banging gears whilst accelerating and synchronizing while downshifting.

jimclark
Old 28 Nov 2016, 19:11 (Ref:3691855)   #168
Matra-simca
Rookie

United States
Durham, NC
Matra-simca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatra-simca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jim

Please don't take my word for it. Just Google: "Ligier JP217 Estoril" and tell me what you think. It's there along with a couple of LMP3s, but it's easy to discern the difference. Granted it's nothing like the glorious BMW LMRs or Jaguar's XJRs of years past, it's just nice to hear something different. And you're quite right, on the overrun, shifting, braking, etc, it's all very lovely to take in all the popping and banging too. I think the Gibson will deliver, just like the old Zyteks

Todd
Old 28 Nov 2016, 19:22 (Ref:3691857)   #169
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matra-simca View Post
Jim

Please don't take my word for it. Just Google: "Ligier JP217 Estoril" and tell me what you think. It's there along with a couple of LMP3s, but it's easy to discern the difference. Granted it's nothing like the glorious BMW LMRs or Jaguar's XJRs of years past, it's just nice to hear something different. And you're quite right, on the overrun, shifting, braking, etc, it's all very lovely to take in all the popping and banging too. I think the Gibson will deliver, just like the old Zyteks

Todd
Be sure to check IMSA's Facebook page video library as they have a number of Ligier-Gibson related videos. One in particular I'd like to note is a cell phone video from the pit lane of the Ligier going through the tri-oval. Boy, does it sound glorious as it reminded me of the Judd V8 and/or V10 engine note.

Also a great video thats lets you get a sense of the note is another IMSA video from the Bus-Stop. https://www.facebook.com/IMSA/videos/1148718245206426/ (Car can be seen at the :52 seconds remaining mark).
Old 28 Nov 2016, 19:23 (Ref:3691858)   #170
jimclark
Veteran

United States
"nothing like the glorious BMW LMRs or Jaguar's XJRs"

Bah. Humbug. Give me some CSLs ('75, '76 and Kenper Miller later) doin' it.

jimclark
Old 28 Nov 2016, 19:54 (Ref:3691862)   #171
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
"nothing like the glorious BMW LMRs or Jaguar's XJRs"

Bah. Humbug. Give me some CSLs ('75, '76 and Kenper Miller later) doin' it.
You must not forget the Ferrari 333 sp and the rotary mazda. Glorious sounds!!!!!
IMSA need some V12!!!!
Old 28 Nov 2016, 19:59 (Ref:3691864)   #172
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
You must not forget the Ferrari 333 sp and the rotary mazda. Glorious sounds!!!!!
IMSA need some V12!!!!
He's ancient, he doesn't care about those.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 20:20 (Ref:3691865)   #173
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
I just noticed that the Alegra Motorsports has posted pictures of their recently acquired Porsche 911 GT3 R that they will be taking to the Rolex 24 next year. Add another confirmed GTD entry to the list!

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...20366207985711
Old 29 Nov 2016, 01:11 (Ref:3691929)   #174
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
IMSA need some V12!!!!
They do have a V12 with the GT3 Aston Martin! Unfortunately they run the biggest mufflers in the field.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 02:09 (Ref:3691933)   #175
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
They do have a V12 with the GT3 Aston Martin! Unfortunately they run the biggest mufflers in the field.
yes, I know the Aston GT3 in GTD, but I was talking about a V12 in DPI.
However it will not happen because they accept the GT3 engines but do not allow the V12. It will even be difficult for Audi or Lamborghini to bring the V10, these are admitted but overweight.
I do not understand why they do not want different types of motors and of course different types of sound, as any power difference is corrected by BOP.
I really liked the battle of Ferrari vs American motors at the WSC time.