Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Feb 2016, 05:48 (Ref:3613001)   #2076
KSM86
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
KSM86 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Yeah it definitely wasn't fresh, going by the faded ink, it wasn't the doing of someone on the weekend. Was certainly a surprise to see it when I looked up at the walls I was boxed in by. Wasn't my doing btw.

Had an awesome weekend. Will post more of my thoughts after work. It's a shame I had to leave early but that said my boss was pretty happy to see me on deck this morning so made the right decision.
How many redbulls or V's did u end up having for the drive home?? haha
Old 8 Feb 2016, 05:50 (Ref:3613002)   #2077
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Michael Hancock was the CoC.
Got to say he did an excellent job (watching on TV) was not as trigger happy as Schenken who appears to bring out the SC for a leaf dropping on the track.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 05:50 (Ref:3613003)   #2078
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Don't think that I missed it, but I didn't even see a line in todays telegraph ?
Dont get the telegraph, but definitely in the Victorian Herald Sun
Old 8 Feb 2016, 05:57 (Ref:3613004)   #2079
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPA View Post
Got to say he did an excellent job (watching on TV) was not as trigger happy as Schenken who appears to bring out the SC for a leaf dropping on the track.
Agree although he left the Quinn McLaren (I think) sitting prone for way too long in a dangerous position during the race IMO.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 06:03 (Ref:3613006)   #2080
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Remember the article was written pre the weekend, about 14k were there, up just under 2000 on last year. To get to the 20K will need a 50% lift on 2015 numbers. Really if it cant get to 20K by 2018 then the GT3 experiment is pretty much over
Over for who exactly?
Old 8 Feb 2016, 06:12 (Ref:3613009)   #2081
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Over for who exactly?
The GT3 experiment, will not have grabbed the attention of Aust motorsport fans. obviously thats just my opinion, but all the new cars coming into the country, a couple of v8 teams being engaged in the series. if we cant get the crowd to grow to 20k by 2018 bathurst 12 hour something is wrong as a crowd attracting series. however im expecting we will.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 06:17 (Ref:3613010)   #2082
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think the goal posts have moved on this already.Whereas a few years ago a Peter Edwards could win the race(and Mark Eddy and Tony Quinn had a strong chance) now the type of Aus GT owner/driver that has a chance is Jonathan Webb.Unless their lack of pace is discounted by lucky safety car timing a car with a "gentleman" driver has no chance.The big question is whether these car owners who are the backbone of the entry will continue to compete with only the prospect of an amateur class win.It is the support of entrants that will determine the future of the race not crowd numbers.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 07:03 (Ref:3613014)   #2083
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
- The presentation of many cars in the support races border on farcical.
Which cars? And does it really matter for the support races?

They passed scruiteneering which is the main thing surely?

Quote:
The GT3 experiment, will not have grabbed the attention of Aust motorsport fans. obviously thats just my opinion, but all the new cars coming into the country, a couple of v8 teams being engaged in the series. if we cant get the crowd to grow to 20k by 2018 bathurst 12 hour something is wrong as a crowd attracting series. however im expecting we will.
And if they don't reach that crowd figure??

What would you suggest they do? Keep putting the race on? Pull up stumps?
Old 8 Feb 2016, 07:14 (Ref:3613016)   #2084
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post

And if they don't reach that crowd figure??

What would you suggest they do? Keep putting the race on? Pull up stumps?
guess that's up to the owners of the cars and aust Gt3 managment. Not something i have thought through, nor going to waste time trying to as like i said, i expect it to reach 20K.

Last edited by peckstar; 8 Feb 2016 at 07:20.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 07:25 (Ref:3613018)   #2085
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Pull up stumps?
Yeah I don't know what different expectations people dream up however suggesting GT3s future hinges on hitting a determined crowd figure at Bathurst is not in touch with reality.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 07:31 (Ref:3613019)   #2086
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Yeah I don't know what different expectations people dream up however suggesting GT3s future hinges on hitting a determined crowd figure at Bathurst is not in touch with reality.
how about we go and create a separate thread if we really want to discuss this

Last edited by peckstar; 8 Feb 2016 at 07:52.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 08:35 (Ref:3613024)   #2087
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Agree although he left the Quinn McLaren (I think) sitting prone for way too long in a dangerous position during the race IMO.

And the white Erebus at the dipper....

But otherwise, yes.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 11:07 (Ref:3613044)   #2088
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
guess that's up to the owners of the cars and aust Gt3 managment. Not something i have thought through, nor going to waste time trying to as like i said, i expect it to reach 20K.
Surely it would be up to the owners of the event?

The owners of the cars and Aust GT3 management have no ownership of the 12hr
Old 8 Feb 2016, 11:22 (Ref:3613051)   #2089
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Surely it would be up to the owners of the event?

The owners of the cars and Aust GT3 management have no ownership of the 12hr
Wasnt talking just about the 12 hour. Seriously move on, Its the unlikely scenario, take it in the context of my whole paragraph
Old 8 Feb 2016, 20:59 (Ref:3613185)   #2090
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
take it in the context of my whole paragraph
I did but I am still struggling to understand your point. Why does 'your' defined crowd number spell success of failure of a whole class of racing for promoters, owners and participants in Australia?
Old 8 Feb 2016, 21:05 (Ref:3613190)   #2091
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
I did but I am still struggling to understand your point. Why does 'your' defined crowd number spell success of failure of a whole class of racing for promoters, owners and participants in Australia?
so then your excited about a 7 day festival at mt panorama for the bathurst 12 hour?
Old 8 Feb 2016, 21:13 (Ref:3613193)   #2092
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM86 View Post
How many redbulls or V's did u end up having for the drive home?? haha
None weirdly enough. Got home on adrenaline alone. Brought some Vs but never needed them . They came in handy yesterday at work though, was falling asleep at my desk, not the most awesome thing when you're trying to learn a new operating system

Thoughts on the weekend:

It was awesome!

It was wonderful finally getting to the tenths dinner on Friday night, great evening meeting people from the forums and having a chat and a beer. It was particularly nice of Reload to invite the Maranello boys along haha

I camped at McPhillamy for the weekend and despite being warned by several people to keep an eye out for trouble I found there was none to be seen. I wasn't overly worried because the B12 attracts a different crowd but there were a few more bogans this year. Not a problem with that but some people don't play well with others.

The campsite had a really friendly vibe going, within five minutes of finding my spot I'd been offered food from my neighbour's BBQ and a hand with putting my tent up. Heard Barnsey and AC DC being played at various times but no fireworks or burning tents. The Holden and Ford flags I saw around the place were a bit confusing....

Saturday night was great, strolling down the track with a couple of beers taking in the view as the sun went down. Came down Forests Elbow to find a cricket match in progress, (they were bowling uphill ), drinks were called as I walked past-except everyone already had a drink in one hand

Saw the McLaren 650 GT3, the Bentley and Scud's new R-Ex in the flesh. McLarens were awesome over the top, even at the limit they looked as though they were on rails, effortless. The Bentley sounded unique, bit like a British muscle car. The Scud mobile looked and sounded fantastic, best sounding car in the whole field especially up the top of the hill

Speaking of Scud-finally met him too, nice to meet you Roger, probably wasnt the best of timing at the start of quali but I didn't know if I'd be down in the pits at all for the rest of the weekend.

Me-'Mind if I have a look at the car'
Scud-'No worries, better hurry qualifying's about to start'

We walked into the back of the garage just as Owen was driving out the front onto the track. I have perfect timing

Getting windburnt/sunburnt (both) on Friday. Urgh. Still feeling pretty crispy. And going by the lineup at the tenths dinner I certainly wasn't the only one.

Towards Bathurst, narrowly missed three roos, a fox and big feral dog

Heading home nearly hit two roos and an emu.

The countryside between Mudgee and Bathurst. Beautiful part of the world.

Nearly being ran over SVG out the back of the pits after quali and a familar ex MVDS character yelling at me to get out of the way. 'Was that Bas Leinders?'. And yeah it was . Thanks for the heads up Bas.

I'll post up more after work tonight
Old 8 Feb 2016, 21:32 (Ref:3613199)   #2093
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad you made it back safe Rich, don't change jobs in the next 12 months!
Old 8 Feb 2016, 22:01 (Ref:3613206)   #2094
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
None weirdly enough. Got home on adrenaline alone. Brought some Vs but never needed them . They came in handy yesterday at work though, was falling asleep at my desk, not the most awesome thing when you're trying to learn a new operating system

Thoughts on the weekend:

It was awesome!

It was wonderful finally getting to the tenths dinner on Friday night, great evening meeting people from the forums and having a chat and a beer. It was particularly nice of Reload to invite the Maranello boys along haha

I camped at McPhillamy for the weekend and despite being warned by several people to keep an eye out for trouble I found there was none to be seen. I wasn't overly worried because the B12 attracts a different crowd but there were a few more bogans this year. Not a problem with that but some people don't play well with others.

The campsite had a really friendly vibe going, within five minutes of finding my spot I'd been offered food from my neighbour's BBQ and a hand with putting my tent up. Heard Barnsey and AC DC being played at various times but no fireworks or burning tents. The Holden and Ford flags I saw around the place were a bit confusing....

Saturday night was great, strolling down the track with a couple of beers taking in the view as the sun went down. Came down Forests Elbow to find a cricket match in progress, (they were bowling uphill ), drinks were called as I walked past-except everyone already had a drink in one hand

Saw the McLaren 650 GT3, the Bentley and Scud's new R-Ex in the flesh. McLarens were awesome over the top, even at the limit they looked as though they were on rails, effortless. The Bentley sounded unique, bit like a British muscle car. The Scud mobile looked and sounded fantastic, best sounding car in the whole field especially up the top of the hill

Speaking of Scud-finally met him too, nice to meet you Roger, probably wasnt the best of timing at the start of quali but I didn't know if I'd be down in the pits at all for the rest of the weekend.

Me-'Mind if I have a look at the car'
Scud-'No worries, better hurry qualifying's about to start'

We walked into the back of the garage just as Owen was driving out the front onto the track. I have perfect timing

Getting windburnt/sunburnt (both) on Friday. Urgh. Still feeling pretty crispy. And going by the lineup at the tenths dinner I certainly wasn't the only one.

Towards Bathurst, narrowly missed three roos, a fox and big feral dog

Heading home nearly hit two roos and an emu.

The countryside between Mudgee and Bathurst. Beautiful part of the world.

Nearly being ran over SVG out the back of the pits after quali and a familar ex MVDS character yelling at me to get out of the way. 'Was that Bas Leinders?'. And yeah it was . Thanks for the heads up Bas.

I'll post up more after work tonight
Well played Rich, was great to finally meet you and bring on next year. A big congrats to scud and his team on finishing 2nd in their class.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 22:37 (Ref:3613214)   #2095
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwhk View Post
Glad you made it back safe Rich, don't change jobs in the next 12 months!

Thanks mate, it was great meeting you, hope to see you again next year. I'm already writing up my leave request so will be there for almost a week next year.

I'm planning on being at Sydney Aus GT to see the new cars and catch up with Reload in the mean time.
Old 8 Feb 2016, 22:46 (Ref:3613218)   #2096
KSM86
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
KSM86 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Thanks mate, it was great meeting you, hope to see you again next year. I'm already writing up my leave request so will be there for almost a week next year.

I'm planning on being at Sydney Aus GT to see the new cars and catch up with Reload in the mean time.
cya there mate, will try and calm reload down... lol
Old 8 Feb 2016, 23:06 (Ref:3613222)   #2097
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM86 View Post
cya there mate, will try and calm reload down... lol
Bwahahaha.
Old 9 Feb 2016, 01:00 (Ref:3613248)   #2098
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And the winner was (as usual) Bathurst.
Great race which was a reminder of why I have loved the place since my first visit in the early 50s and why I watch anything from there on TV.
Drivers talk about elevation, the walls, ot being unforgiving etc. but I think that the secret of the place is in it's almost unique ability to test ALL the characteristics of car and driver.
The circuit rewards different strengths at different places and has thus witnessed some amazing duels between very different cars.
My first observation of this was a lady called Mary Seed in an AC Bristol passing C & D type Jags down through the esses in the 1958 TT, getting blown away down Conrod, catching up under brakes at the bottom then blown away again up Mountain Straight, only to catch up again across the top. In later years we saw the same sort of thing between Studebaker Larks and Cortina GTs, or Falcons and Minis etc.
On Sunday we saw how very different cars like the Bentleys or Mercs. could use torque and outright power to match the Audi and Mclarens superior aero and handling.
I wonder has the V8Supercar quest for parity in every aspect succeeded to the extent that it takes away the real magic of Mt. Panorama away simply because the cars are so similar in performance everywhere?

Last edited by Oldtony; 9 Feb 2016 at 01:05. Reason: Correct TT date
Old 9 Feb 2016, 01:28 (Ref:3613250)   #2099
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Macca's jump on board after Maranello win in 2014 for 2 years and get to Friday morning in 2015 and lap 1 in 2016. Will they renew ?
Old 9 Feb 2016, 02:48 (Ref:3613270)   #2100
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Macca's jump on board after Maranello win in 2014 for 2 years and get to Friday morning in 2015 and lap 1 in 2016. Will they renew ?

I've always guessed it was some type of B2B sponsorship involving car owner who in my understanding are a supplier to McDonalds so who knows how that'll pan out.

If you want some cool McLaren wallpapers for your computer from the weekend check this out. If you want the full size click on the pic and after its popped up open it in a new tab to see its full size and they are huge.

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/mclare...223.1454970254